HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Predictions (2009/10 Season)

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2009, 04:20 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Gagne-Briere-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Nodl
Carcillo-Richards-Lappy
Powe-Kolanos-Pyorala

or

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Carcillo-Pyorala-Lappy (Checking line)
Kolanos/Nodl-Powe-Asham (Energy line)

PP1
Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Carle-Pronger
PP2
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Coburn-Timonen

Matsumoto, Ross, Maroon and JVR all get looks.

I hate this line combo non-sense, our lines are a mess right now. With our improved defense, I want Richards off the point. We have no decent forward to slide into the PP.

I also REALLY like the second set-up now.

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 07-15-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old
07-15-2009, 04:28 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'd personally rather risk playing Pyorala or Powe at C instead of giving Lappy 1st line minutes.

Old
07-15-2009, 04:37 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I posted this earlier in the thread about Pyorala...Pyorala sounds kind of like an STD...at least the way I'm pronouncing it, it does. But I digress, and that's not what I posted in the Pyorala thread, this is...

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Ross-Pyorala
Carcillo-Laperriere-Asham

Ross as the 3rd line C isn't ideal, but I think he can be adequate, especially if he can do well in the faceoff circle. This may not be much in the way of sample size, but he was over 56% in last year's regular season...27/21 on 48 faceoffs. In the playoffs, he took 28 faceoff and was 50%.

Anyone know if AHL faceoff stats can be found anywhere on the net? The AHL's website doesn't seem to have them. I'm wondering what Ross's faceoff numbers have been with the Phantoms.

As for Pyorala, I'm mostly just holding out hope that I'll like his game more than Nodl's. I don't think Nodl is worthy of a spot on a scoring line, yet I don't particularly appreciate him in a bottom six role either. He's not enough of an energy guy for me. I see that this Pyorala guy is small, but I'm hoping he's feisty as hell...aggressive as hell, similar to Sami would work for me.

Somebody dig up Ross's AHL faceoff numbers...I'll give you a dollar.

Old
07-15-2009, 06:01 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
I don't see Kolanos being anything other than a 13th forward.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
He's better than Cote so that makes him number 12, until someone beats him out

Old
07-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Gert B Frobe

Consider that JVR and (less likely) Pyorala and even Maroon may very well make this team straight out of camp - and will certainly get every opportunity later on at worst.

Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Carter JVR? (that would be a very big, fast line)
Powe Giroux Pyorala/Maroon
Asham Carcillo Laperriere

Just saying that it would be very pessimistic to think that we won't get any contribution from JVR or Maroon this year - and if they can make the team the talent will just trickle down to the 3rd and 4th lines.

Now if numbnuts would just put Pronger with Parent and Coburn with Timmonen then they'd be set.

screw it just fire him and bring in that new asst. gm guy

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 07-16-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: error
Old
07-16-2009, 12:23 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Consider that JVR and (less likely) Pyorala and even Maroon may very well make this team straight out of camp - and will certainly get every opportunity later on at worst.

Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Carter JVR? (that would be a very big, fast line)
Briere Giroux Marroon/Pyorala
Asham Carcillo Laperriere

Then you have Kalinski, Powe, etc to fill in. I think that Powe and Kalinski are both excellent 4th liners.

Just saying that it would be very pessimistic to think that we won't get any contribution from JVR or Maroon this year - and if they can make the team the talent will just trickle down to the 3rd and 4th lines.

Now if numbnuts would just put Pronger with Parent and Coburn with Timmonen then they'd be set.

screw it just fire him and bring in that new asst. gm guy
You have Briere twice...

Old
07-16-2009, 12:26 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You have Briere twice...
I knew those lines seemed awful deep.

Old
07-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
You have Briere twice...
crap it did look too good to be true

Old
07-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Wasi91

Send a message via ICQ to Wasi91
OK, here's my idea, bit of a long shot, but I like it...

Pyörälä - Richards - Giroux
Hartnell - Carter - Laperriere
Gagné - Briere - Asham
Kalinski - Powe - Carcillo

Timonen - Parent
Pronger - Coburn
Carle - Jones

Emery
Boucher

---------------------------------

Pyörälä on the "top line" of course is a stretch, but it seems like this guy can finish, and so he might look good on a line with Richie and Giroux. Richards and Giroux on the same line would be sweet.

Hartnell and Carter of course stay together, add Lappy to them and you have a line that looks NASTY.

Third line looks solid to me, I think Asham fits in better than Powe or Carcillo.

That leaves Kalinski - Powe - Carcillo for a pretty good fourth line, Kalinski gets a spot on my team, I really, really liked him when he played for us last year. Wasn't that impressed with Nödl or Ross. Can't really judge Phantoms/junior guys like Matsumoto, Maroon...

On defense, I'd leave Timonen and Parent together. 2nd pair of course then has to be Pronger - Coburn, and Carle - Jones is a very solid 3rd pairing IMO, no matter what other people say about those two. Jones can play in that role, and concering Carle, I hope that he continues to play like he did at the end of last season, I really didn't like him at first, but he was really good at the end.

Old
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Pyorala-Powe-Laperriere
Carcillo-Insert Phantom- Asham

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Parent- Jones

The Phantpm player could be Kalinski, Ross, or Matsumoto, depending on how they do in camp. Depending on how the younger players play in camp, and on the Phantoms if they don't make the team straight out of camp, this team could look a lot different.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Laperriere-JVR-Maroon
Asham-Pyorala-Powe

Thats not a real big stretch that JVR and Maroon will be able to play in the NHL at some point in the season. However, playing them together could lead to too many rookie mistakes. While splitting them up and keeping both on wing would bring one of Briere/Giroux to 3rd line center and then we would have similar lines to last year with Maroon and JVR taking Lupul and Knuble's spots on the team. Neither will probably be as effective as either as those players were last year. So while it may seem encouraging that the younger players may make the team, it might not exactly be the best thing in the world, unless they are truly ready like Giroux was, and not sort of ready like Sbisa was.

Old
07-16-2009, 10:59 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Pyorala-Powe-Laperriere
Carcillo-Insert Phantom- Asham
This is my expected lineup. with Phantom being Kolanos, Ross, Kalinski, etc. Giroux and Briere can switch if needed

Old
07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
EasyMac

What I expect to see to start the season is:

Pyrola/Gagne - Giroux - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Powe/X
Pyrola/Gagne - Richards - Laperriere
Carcillo - Powe/X - Asham
Cote

Timonen - Coburn
Pronger - Carle
Jones - Parent
Y

Emery
Boucher

X = a player to make it out of camp - JVR/Maroon/Kalinski/Ross.
Y = whoever cheap. If there is a long-term injury to a dman I can see Marshall coming up to play, but if everyone is healthy he will be on the farm.

If Pyrola doesn't work out/isn't better then a 4th liner then Carcillo would be the one to move up.

The top three lines would play about equal time.

On the powerplay it will be interesting to see if they move Richards off the point, with Timonen/Pronger/Coburn/Carle on the backend. It makes sense to have Pronger/Carle and Timonen/Coburn as pairs (one with a shot and one that can control the puck). However what I expect to see is Pronger/Richards on the top unit and Timonen/Coburn on the 2nd unit. If this is the case then they really should trade Carle as he will never earn his worth without PP time.

Old
07-17-2009, 04:12 PM
ArmchairGM

I could live with this:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter- Giroux
Pyorala- Powe- Laperriere
Carcillo- Kalinski-Asham

*wrong thread

Old
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I made a depth chart of guys who will or could potentially be in our offensive lineup this season to help me out. Its kind of sad Asham is our best RW based on last years points- he beats out Laperriere's points by one goal (don't get me wrong I like Asham a lot its just our RW depth sucks)

C ---------------------RW------------------LW
Richards ----------Lapster-------------Hartnell
Carter--------------Asham -------------Gags
Briere--------------Jason Ward--------Carcillo
Giroux--------------Nodl----------------Pyorala
Powe------------------------------------Kalinski
JVR--------------------------------------Maroon
Ross-------------------------------------Cote

Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Carter Giroux
Pyorala/Carcillo Powe/JVR Lapster
Pyorala/Carcillo Powe/Ross Asham (Ross is 4th line center if Powe is the third line C)
Cote

What do you guys think?

Old
07-21-2009, 11:42 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Carter Giroux
Pyorala/Carcillo Powe/Ross Asham (Ross is 4th line center if Powe is the third line C)
Cote

What do you guys think?
Seems reasonable.

Old
07-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Sklodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I made a depth chart of guys who will or could potentially be in our offensive lineup this season to help me out. Its kind of sad Asham is our best RW based on last years points- he beats out Laperriere's points by one goal (don't get me wrong I like Asham a lot its just our RW depth sucks)

C ---------------------RW------------------LW
Richards ----------Lapster-------------Hartnell
Carter--------------Asham -------------Gags
Briere--------------Jason Ward--------Carcillo
Giroux--------------Nodl----------------Pyorala
Powe------------------------------------Kalinski
JVR--------------------------------------Maroon
Ross-------------------------------------Cote

Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Carter Giroux
Cote

What do you guys think?
I think Kaspar can do well on this team. He never got the chance to prove himself in San Jose. He's another power forward and while he's no Knuble, I think he makes the team as a 3rd-4th liner. The lines could be:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Kaspar/Carcillo-Powe-Laperriere
Carcillo/Kaspar-Ross/Pyorala-Asham

Last edited by Sklodo: 07-22-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old
07-22-2009, 11:22 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1611
Briere could be pegged for RW.
Quote:

Although he was back playing close to full strength by the playoffs, Briere wants to be 100 percent by the time training camp opens on Sept. 12.

"I feel great," Briere said Tuesday. "I'm starting to feel strong again. I'm trying to find that explosion that I used to have two years ago. Health-wise, I feel great, and I'm ready for a big year."

There's a good chance Briere will be moved from center to right wing this season. The trade of Joffrey Lupul (in the Chris Pronger deal) and the loss of Mike Knuble to free agency opens up the right side considerably.

If Briere were to play with a speedster like center Claude Giroux, it would be imperative to have complete mobility again.

"I feel like I'm getting in better and better shape," Briere said. "I don't want to peak too early, but I want to be ready for the season, and at this point I'm very healthy and I feel great."
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...k-to-work.html

Old
07-23-2009, 03:05 PM
10 ft. pole

From a Westcoast POV

I really like the way your team looks on paper. If you guys get the solid netminding from Razor you guys are golden. I look up and down the roster and just cant help but notice how banged up the other teams are gonna be after playing the Flyers. This could be your year. What do you guys think the line combos are gonna be this year? I hope you can get rid of that Briere contract that would ensure you guys being really good for a really long time.

-Kingsfan

Old
07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

There is about a million different combinations of lines. Stevens pretty much said that there was a good chance that he would leave the parings together (Gagne-Richards, Hartnell-Carter, Giroux-Briere), also he said that there is a good chance Timonen and Pronger play together.

That leads us to think something like this:

Gagne-Richards-Pyoralla
Hartnell-Carter-Powe
Lappy-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

callups: Ross, Kaspar, Kolanos, JVR, Maroon, Matsumoto

Timonen-Pronger
Coburn-Carle
Parent-Jones

Seventh: Phantom callup

Emery
Boucher

Now most of us dont really like that. So here is what we want.

Most of us want to play with 2 tops lines, a checking line and then a typical 4th line. also we want Timonen and Pronger split up.

Something like:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Kaspar/Carcillo/Phantom Callup-Lappy-Pyoralla
Carcillo/Phantom Callup-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Pronger
Parent-Jones

The defense pairing might be off by some people. Some people here think Carle is going on the 3rd pairing and Parent on the second, even if that would never happen as long as Carle is here.

Emery
Boucher

Our defense is solid... its just we have alot of work to figure out who is where on offense. And at the moment... we need Briere. We lost 50 goals and need some point people on offense.

Old
07-23-2009, 09:03 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
There is about a million different combinations of lines. Stevens pretty much said that there was a good chance that he would leave the parings together (Gagne-Richards, Hartnell-Carter, Giroux-Briere), also he said that there is a good chance Timonen and Pronger play together.

That leads us to think something like this:

Gagne-Richards-Pyoralla
Hartnell-Carter-Powe
Lappy-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

callups: Ross, Kaspar, Kolanos, JVR, Maroon, Matsumoto

Timonen-Pronger
Coburn-Carle
Parent-Jones

Seventh: Phantom callup

Emery
Boucher

Now most of us dont really like that. So here is what we want.

Most of us want to play with 2 tops lines, a checking line and then a typical 4th line. also we want Timonen and Pronger split up.

Something like:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Kaspar/Carcillo/Phantom Callup-Lappy-Pyoralla
Carcillo/Phantom Callup-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Pronger
Parent-Jones

The defense pairing might be off by some people. Some people here think Carle is going on the 3rd pairing and Parent on the second, even if that would never happen as long as Carle is here.

Emery
Boucher

Our defense is solid... its just we have alot of work to figure out who is where on offense. And at the moment... we need Briere. We lost 50 goals and need some point people on offense.
Stevens would do someting stupid like play Pronger and Timonen together....Does he realize that if he separates them you have either Timonen or Pronger on the ice for 50 minutes per game??? Play them together in spots fine, but just like Anaheim did, they should be separated a good chunk of the time. I dont want Carle on this team anymore but

Coburn Timonen
Pronger Carle

As for the forward, using the pair approach that it seems they are going with, I would like to see

Gagne Richards Carcillo (Something tells me Carcillo would play well with Richards)
Hartnell Carter Pyro/Nodl
Kaspar Giroux Briere (assuming Kaspar is decent defensively, I have seen mixed reviews)
Asham Powe Lappy (Great Checking line)

If Carcillo doesnt work on the top line, than

Gagne Richards Powe
Kaspar Giroux Briere
Carcillo Lappy Asham

Nodl, Ward, Kalinski as the call ups....Give JVR the top line in the AHL and call him up if he deserves it, similar to Giroux last year.

Old
07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Stevens would do someting stupid like play Pronger and Timonen together....Does he realize that if he separates them you have either Timonen or Pronger on the ice for 50 minutes per game??? Play them together in spots fine, but just like Anaheim did, they should be separated a good chunk of the time. I dont want Carle on this team anymore but

Coburn Timonen
Pronger Carle

As for the forward, using the pair approach that it seems they are going with, I would like to see

Gagne Richards Carcillo (Something tells me Carcillo would play well with Richards)
Kaspar Giroux Briere (assuming Kaspar is decent defensively, I have seen mixed reviews)
Asham Powe Lappy (Great Checking line)

If Carcillo doesnt work on the top line, than

Gagne Richards Powe
Kaspar Giroux Briere
Carcillo Lappy Asham

Nodl, Ward, Kalinski as the call ups....Give JVR the top line in the AHL and call him up if he deserves it, similar to Giroux last year.
I actually like that one. I think a Kaspar-Giroux-Briere could work out. I know in Sj they played him with Thorton and he put up points, but then they sent him back down.

I think a Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala could be cool. I have high hopes for Pyo and really think he will do well.

The Gagne-Richards-Powe line... I actually think could work out. I really think Powe could put up a decent amount of points. If not Powe, then maybe a phantom? JVR if he is ready?

I think what would look sweet would be

Gagne-Richards-JVR
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
Kaspar-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Lappy-Asham

7th guys is Powe or if one of Carcillo or Kaspar arent doing well, he is in for them.

If Kaspar shows he can be a good player, Pyo shows the two way game and some offensiveness he had overseas and JVR lives up to his 2nd overallness, that is a very solid group of forwards

Old
07-23-2009, 11:16 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 1598
Do you guys expect JVR to make the team out of taining camp?

Old
07-23-2009, 11:20 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
Do you guys expect JVR to make the team out of taining camp?
No. If he see's the NHL at all this season, he would likely be like Giroux and be a mid-season call up.

Honestly, I'm ok with that, he needs some seasoning in the AHL.

Old
07-23-2009, 11:42 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Bill Meltzer said in the comment section of his Hockeybuzz post about Pyorala joining the Flyers, he said that he was a third or fourth line player.

Closed Thread