HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Purcell and Bagnall Re-Sign; Azevedo Signs

Old
07-21-2009, 04:43 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
So you want Frolov to be re-signed? I could've swore you were against it.
I want him to be re-signed at a reasonable rate. 4-5 million would be fine by me.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Vatican Roulette
Detroit Fan

I haven't read a write up on Azevedo in a while. Has his skating improved enough for the NHL level?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:11 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Why?

He's be blocking a kid who needs the chance to grow and would likely be a better player than Zubrus in a year or two anyway
that's a ludicrous way to look at it. who would it block?

Zubrus is one of the best players in the league working along the boards and adding that to a line already good at that would make it one of the best 3rd lines in the NHL.

And honestly, I know prospects are cool and all, but of players that have a realistic shot of playing, only Moller, Lewis, and possibly Azevedo might become better than Zubrus. In fact, of that list, only Moller will most likely be better than Zubrus.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I am a little surprised Schenn hasn't been signed to his entry-level yet. All of the previous 1-4 picks have been signed from this years draft. Not like there is any alarm whatsoever, Just delaying the inevitable though, hurry up and ink the kid already.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:20 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I am a little surprised Schenn hasn't been signed to his entry-level yet. All of the previous 1-4 picks have been signed from this years draft. Not like there is any alarm whatsoever, Just delaying the inevitable though, hurry up and ink the kid already.
Cue Leafs fans coming to tell us a trade is in the works.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Cue Leafs fans coming to tell us a trade is in the works.
Or that he is holding out to go sign with them if he isn't traded

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I expect it to probably happen in the next couple of weeks.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:44 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Or that he is holding out to go sign with them if he isn't traded
Don't even joke about that. Think of all the "I told you so"s we'd have to hear from Leafsnation for months and months.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Don't even joke about that. Think of all the "I told you so"s we'd have to hear from Leafsnation for months and months.
Don't worry about it because it will not happen. Even if he did hold out the Kings would trade him and get comparable value or he would have to go back into the draft in 2 years and maybe get drafted by another team he doesn't like.

It isn't happening.

Old
07-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
that's a ludicrous way to look at it. who would it block?

Zubrus is one of the best players in the league working along the boards and adding that to a line already good at that would make it one of the best 3rd lines in the NHL.

And honestly, I know prospects are cool and all, but of players that have a realistic shot of playing, only Moller, Lewis, and possibly Azevedo might become better than Zubrus. In fact, of that list, only Moller will most likely be better than Zubrus.
Your thinking is short sighted.

Zubrus is over 30 and is going to get worse with each progressing year. He is also making 3.4 million a year until the end of the 12/13 season.

For a team that is rebuilding and looking to put together a winning core this is a horrible news because not only will it cost assets to acquire Zubrus but it will also tie up 3.4 million for 4 more seasons, which would make our 3rd line very expensive considering the cap is expected to come down. We can't spend 7.4 million on two third liners and expect to be able to re-sign everyone

As far as the players that Zubrus could "block" You mentioned "Moller, Lewis, and possibly Azevedo" Moller would be blocked immediately by Zubrus, Azevedo and Lewis are possibilities as well. Zubrus would also be blocking forwards in the 10-11, 11-12, and 12-13 seasons. Prospects like, Schenn, Loktionov, Roe, Cliche, etc . These players might not be better than Zubrus now but in 2 or 3 years they very well could be and Zubrus will still be make his 3.4 mil a year to play on the 3rd line.

There are only so many forward spots available on the team and trading assets for a 31 year old 3rd liner makes little sense when you finished 2nd to last in your conference last year.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:53 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Look at it this way, Tavares, Duchene, Hedman and Kane are all pretty desparately needed by their clubs to make an immediate impact on the ice and on the fans. Kane maybe a little less likely, but at the very least the first 3 will be eating into their ELC's this year. Schenn won't be. What's the rush? It will probably get done this summer, but it doesn't need to really, it could just as easily happen next summer and it wouldn't make a difference.

The only reason Schenn would need to sign an ELC this summer is if he makes the team, which is highly unlikely. The next time after that he would need one is if Brandon's season doesn't go far into the playoffs and the Kings want to send him Manchester or Ontario at the end of the season (even then I'm not positive he could, help me out on this one Ron). Even still, I'm not sure he could until after the Memorial Cup, since his team is guaranteed to play in it... but I don't know enough about the NHL rules or CHL technicalities to know if the Memorial Cup is counted as part of a team's season or if it is separate and how that affects the exception for sending players to the minors after their junior season are over.

All the same, I do expect he'll get signed in the next week or two, I'm just saying if it doesn't happen at all this summer, it won't make much of a difference.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:54 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:

Zubrus is over 30 and is going to get worse with each progressing year. He is also making 3.4 million a year until the end of the 12/13 season.

For a team that is rebuilding and looking to put together a winning core this is a horrible news because not only will it cost assets to acquire Zubrus but it will also tie up 3.4 million for 4 more seasons, which would make our 3rd line very expensive considering the cap is expected to come down. We can't spend 7.4 million on two third liners and expect to be able to re-sign everyone

As far as the players that Zubrus could "block" You mentioned "Moller, Lewis, and possibly Azevedo" Moller would be blocked immediately by Zubrus, Azevedo and Lewis are possibilities as well. Zubrus would also be blocking forwards in the 10-11, 11-12, and 12-13 seasons. Prospects like, Schenn, Loktionov, Roe, Cliche, etc

There are only so many forward spots available on the team and trading assets for a 31 year old 3rd liner makes little sense when you finished 2nd to last in your conference last year.
Well I wasnt proposing trading for him, I'm just saying he would fit in very well.

And even if every guy made it on the team, Zubrus would still have a spot as a 3rd liner.

We can't just have a bunch of kids! we need veterans!

I was just commenting that we need another guy with size and an ability to work the boards

Last edited by LAX attack*: 07-21-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old
07-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Look at it this way, Tavares, Duchene, Hedman and Kane are all pretty desparately needed by their clubs to make an immediate impact on the ice and on the fans. Kane maybe a little less likely, but at the very least the first 3 will be eating into their ELC's this year. Schenn won't be. What's the rush? It will probably get done this summer, but it doesn't need to really, it could just as easily happen next summer and it wouldn't make a difference.

The only reason Schenn would need to sign an ELC this summer is if he makes the team, which is highly unlikely. The next time after that he would need one is if Brandon's season doesn't go far into the playoffs and the Kings want to send him Manchester or Ontario at the end of the season (even then I'm not positive he could, help me out on this one Ron). Even still, I'm not sure he could until after the Memorial Cup, since his team is guaranteed to play in it... but I don't know enough about the NHL rules or CHL technicalities to know if the Memorial Cup is counted as part of a team's season or if it is separate and how that affects the exception for sending players to the minors after their junior season are over.

All the same, I do expect he'll get signed in the next week or two, I'm just saying if it doesn't happen at all this summer, it won't make much of a difference.
It doesn't really matter if he gets signed now. Except it might give him more incentive to try to make the team. Not that this is a realistic possibility. But, whether or not he is going to make the team this season really does not mean much either. Do not forget Dean signed Hickey very soon after the draft took place and he still hasn't played in an NHL game. As for the juniors question Schenn would not be able to participate with the Monarchs until after the Memorial Cup.

Old
07-21-2009, 07:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

As far as the players that Zubrus could "block" You mentioned "Moller, Lewis, and possibly Azevedo" Moller would be blocked immediately by Zubrus, Azevedo and Lewis are possibilities as well. Zubrus would also be blocking forwards in the 10-11, 11-12, and 12-13 seasons. Prospects like, Schenn, Loktionov, Roe, Cliche, etc . These players might not be better than Zubrus now but in 2 or 3 years they very well could be and Zubrus will still be make his 3.4 mil a year to play on the 3rd line.

I'd like to agree on behalf of anyone with a brain.

This is also why I think the Sturm ship has sailed. The only circumstance I would accept anyone that isn't currently a King who makes more than ~1.5mill per is on a 1 year deal. ANY $2-3mill contract that goes beyond this season will hamstring us now that we have added almost something like 6-8million to our cap hit this summer. Any contract more than ~1.5 that goes further than that (like Zubrus', the negative effect will only be compounded.

If Dean wants to sign or trade for a guy making well over 2 mill, it better be a guy on a year deal. Can't be allocating upwards of 8 million to our 3rd line for the 2010-2011 season if we want money for Fro and Quick, and potential a 1mill+ raise for Lewis and Drewiske if they perform well. Not much money is coming off the books next year, but in order to keep the team together we will definately be needing to add some salary, all in a year where the cap may drop.

Unless said 3rd line LW is good enough to take over for Fro next year, it's a dumb idea.

Old
07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well I wasnt proposing trading for him, I'm just saying he would fit in very well.

And even if every guy made it on the team, Zubrus would still have a spot as a 3rd liner.

We can't just have a bunch of kids! we need veterans!
Zus
Smyth
Scuderi
O'Donnell

There's your veterans. Stoll, Greene, Frolov and Brown are far from being rookies or just kids. Dean has said he wants to add another vet player, probably on defense, but if he does, I highly doubt it would be anything more than another O'Donnell type deal. A much older guy on a very cheap 1 year deal.

Old
07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
It doesn't really matter if he gets signed now. Except it might give him more incentive to try to make the team. Not that this is a realistic possibility. But, whether or not he is going to make the team this season really does not mean much either. Do not forget Dean signed Hickey very soon after the draft took place and he still hasn't played in an NHL game. As for the juniors question Schenn would not be able to participate with the Monarchs until after the Memorial Cup.
Yeah, the only reason I could think of that would make it pertinent in any way is just to show Brayden that we are very serious about him being important to the team. But that's complete conjecture anyways.

Thanks for clearing up the bit about the Memorial Cup.

Old
07-21-2009, 07:11 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Zus
Smyth
Scuderi
O'Donnell

There's your veterans. Stoll, Greene, Frolov and Brown are far from being rookies or just kids. Dean has said he wants to add another vet player, probably on defense, but if he does, I highly doubt it would be anything more than another O'Donnell type deal. A much older guy on a very cheap 1 year deal.
Well you make a good point with the veterans, but there's always room for more. Keep in mind that most teams have a majority of veterans and a minority of younger players, and us striking a balance between vets and rookies is pretty unusual for your average competitor.

But as I have said before, we can't add anymore salary past this year. So obviously I wouldnt want to add Zubrus

Old
07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well you make a good point with the veterans, but there's always room for more. Keep in mind that most teams have a majority of veterans and a minority of younger players, and us striking a balance between vets and rookies is pretty unusual for your average competitor.

But as I have said before, we can't add anymore salary past this year. So obviously I wouldnt want to add Zubrus
Now I'm confused.

Old
07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Now I'm confused.
all our minds have officially been blown.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
not tellin*

Quote:

sorry gize, i was wrong. also works.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 09:58 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Correct....but he will get paid his NHL salary regardless.....which is why he will more than likely surpass the 10 game mark relatively early in the season.
I haven't read through all the posts, but am I the only one against this? I really think it would have been better to give him a $1.5 mil 2-way contract so we don't risk to lose him to waivers. Now if we lose him to waivers, we'll get next to nothing since he's got such a low salary contract anyways.

I don't see the point...

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
I think this is actually one of the best signs that the Kings are legitimately improving. The past three draft picks have all been at least discussed in the starting line ups. Now Schenn is a long shot at best. Very comforting.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I haven't read through all the posts, but am I the only one against this? I really think it would have been better to give him a $1.5 mil 2-way contract so we don't risk to lose him to waivers. Now if we lose him to waivers, we'll get next to nothing since he's got such a low salary contract anyways.

I don't see the point...
Actually KPD a 2-way contract would not have made him immune from being claimed on waivers. Waivers are only dependent on age and experience not on contract type. 1-way or 2-way contracts only dictate how much money a player makes at the NHL/AHL level.

Old
07-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
I think this is actually one of the best signs that the Kings are legitimately improving. The past three draft picks have all been at least discussed in the starting line ups. Now Schenn is a long shot at best. Very comforting.
I agree. I said in another thread that if the Kings started the season with Schenn in the lineup it would be indicative (at least to me) that the team is not prepared to make a legitimate run at the playoffs. In the past there is a lot of evidence of this. Teams that have an 18 year old player as a regular on their roster do not have sufficient depth to really challenge for a playoff spot.

Old
07-21-2009, 10:41 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Actually KPD a 2-way contract would not have made him immune from being claimed on waivers. Waivers are only dependent on age and experience not on contract type. 1-way or 2-way contracts only dictate how much money a player makes at the NHL/AHL level.
ooo got it, thanks for clarifying that.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote