HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Juraj Mikus Signs with the Kings (See Post #31)

Old
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazokngstc View Post
Other stuff:

I'm old. Meh. I never liked that show--Kevin Arnold didn't have a younger brother, and KITT's voice never seems right coming out of an actual human.

Hockey:

Mikus is an interesting signpost, analytically. DL seems to be seeding the 7-12 spots with the type of skill-first guys that are normally boom-or-bust in the top six. Keeping enough of them around could sort of lead to a 3rd and 4th line platooning deal, where a bunch of these guys bounce up and down from Manchester to LA all season long, jumped up on adrenaline and providing another scoring threat to offset the lack of D points.

Will be interesting to watch.
As much as we all have been wondering what the 4th line with look like opening night, I think 2 weeks later it will look very different, and even more different a week later, etc, etc. I predict we will see a lot of movement between Manchester and the Kings for those 4th line spots. Harrold and Zeiler will probably (I hope) stick around the whole time as spares, and guys like Azevedo, Loktionov, Parse, Clune, perhaps even Meckler and Pelech and Segal and such will all get a little look. With the top 6 filled and the top 9 likely to round out pretty smoothly, I think DL will want to get a look at as many of these guys as he can quickly, so when the deadline comes around, he knows who he is comfortable offering up to bolster a playoff run.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
We have a lounge now, use it Next time you are like: Hey, that guy's name sounds like this guy's name... Goto the Lounge thread and say that, otherwise it will be OT.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 07:52 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Juraj Mikúš signed a 2-year contract with the LA Kings. He is also willing to play in the minors (AHL).

Link

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktionov View Post
Juraj Mikúš signed a 2-year contract with the LA Kings. He is also willing to play in the minors (AHL).

Link
That is awesome. Dean & Co. are doing a great job at getting talented youth to come over and accept the system.

Old
07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Defgarden

Hopefully one of these offensive guys is going to work out and have an excellent year in the bigs.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:14 PM
cybersync

Here is the official release on the #Kings signing Juraj Mikus: http://******/hQjr #nhl

cybersync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:16 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
That is awesome. Dean & Co. are doing a great job at getting talented youth to come over and accept the system.
I have to admit, I am very excited about Mikus signing for the AHL. If we can get Manchester competitive again, that will only help our prospects, especially our goaltenders. And with prospects, it seems easier to find a diamond in a lot of rough than trying to make rough into diamonds

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Why is Calder still listed on the roster? Thought he was gone, no?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Youngblood93

What are the odds that Mikus could win that 3rd line LW postion?

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Why is Calder still listed on the roster? Thought he was gone, no?
Not on my roster, and that is all that matters really...

Old
07-21-2009, 07:22 PM
123slam

So what can we expect from Mikus in the future? Anyone know why he was let go by Montreal?

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
So what can we expect from Mikus in the future? Anyone know why he was let go by Montreal?
I was thinking the same thing. he was let go? Or did he not sign? and why..

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshole View Post
I was thinking the same thing. he was let go? Or did he not sign? and why..
I do not know....I am sure when another team signs Bryan Cameron they will be asking the same thing.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I do not know....I am sure when another team signs Bryan Cameron they will be asking the same thing.
He wasn't even invited to any development camps, I think we're ok.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He wasn't even invited to any development camps, I think we're ok.
That wasn't really the point. Sometimes guys just do not sign with teams that draft them. They may still end up playing in the NHL and they may not. There is nothing to say that Bryan Cameron won't one day play for the Flames or some other team.....just like there is nothing to say that Mikus will not one day play for the Kings.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Mike The Franchise

Can anyone compare the Slovakian league with the other leagues just so I can know where Mikus stands

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Who was the last player that, akin to him, was drafted by another team, went to Europe, came back and actually became a fixture on an NHL team?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Who was the last player that, akin to him, was drafted by another team, went to Europe, came back and actually became a fixture on an NHL team?
Derek Armstrong?

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:12 AM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Quote:
I might be wrong on this, but under the old CBA, wouldn't this situation never happen? Didn't you basically retain the rights to the Europeans you drafted forever? I can't think of anyone who has done it, but if it's only been possible for four years, that's a pretty small sample size.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:16 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
These examples don't exactly fit that criteria, but they are rather similar cases:

Pavol Demitra, drafted by Ottawa, didn't get much of a shot with them, toiled in the minors, then the Blues got him for Christer Olsson. He goes to the Blues and becomes a permanent fixture and top scoring forward.

Jan Hejda, drafted by Buffalo in 2003 and never got to play for them. Played many seasons in Europe and came to Edmonton as an overage defenseman. Eventually dealt to Columbus where he's become a steady shutdown defenseman for Ken Hitchcock.

Mikael Samuelsson, drafted by San Jose in 1998 but only played 4 games for them. He became a journeyman forward, making stops in Pittsburgh, New York R. and Florida and some time in Switzerland and Sweden (during the lockout) before being picked up by Detroit in 2005, where he suddenly emerged as a 40 point player. Now he's considered to be a capable 2nd line winger or exceptional third liner.

Remember what happened with Joe Corvo? Drafted by the Kings in 1997, spent a lot of time in the minors then even quit hockey until the Kings were able to persuade him to return where he would eventually turn pro in 2002 and proved himself to be a very good offensive defenseman (not so good defensively though).

Kris Versteeg was originally a Boston Bruins draft selection in 2004 in the 5th round. Posted adequate numbers in the juniors, did well in the minors, never earned a call up with Boston, signs with Chicago and becomes a top six forward in 2008 and a Calder candidate.

Denis Grebeshkov is another example of the Kings having an NHL caliber player but rushing him too soon. Drafted in 2002, he saw some games in 2003-2004 and 2005-2006 before being dealt to the Islanders where it didn't help him much. He returned to Russia in 06-07, his rights were dealt to Edmonton and he came back to the NHL and proved himself to be a capable top six defenseman with the Oilers.

Some more Kings blasts (or blunders) from the past:

Kimmo Timonen, drafted in 1993, makes NHL debut with Nashville in 1998 after playing in Finland and a short stint in the minors. Never dressed for the Kings.

Robert Lang, drafted in 1990, comes to North America in 1992 and bounces around between the Kings and the Phoenix Roadrunners before returning to the Czech Republic and having a short stop in Boston. Goes to Pittsburgh where he finally breaks out of his shell and becomes a top line center for the Pens.

Mikus is worth a gamble. No telling how he may develop, but these are some examples of players who took a few years to find their groove. Mikus is still 22 and could continue to flourish in his development.

Lang didn't prove himself until he was 28. Demitra reached his potential at 23. Mikael Samuelsson finally established himself at 29. Sometimes you never know at what pace some players develop.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Mike The Franchise

Good examples

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist View Post
Can anyone compare the Slovakian league with the other leagues just so I can know where Mikus stands
I don't know if this will help but Mikus was on the same team with Palffy last season. Palffy scored more goals and had more total points while Mikus had more assists. Palffy retired half way through the first season after the lock out.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:22 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
I might be wrong on this, but under the old CBA, wouldn't this situation never happen? Didn't you basically retain the rights to the Europeans you drafted forever? I can't think of anyone who has done it, but if it's only been possible for four years, that's a pretty small sample size.
Tim Thomas is the only one I can think of that was a very similar situation to Mikus but it was years between him being drafted and then coming back to NA... Also Ben Eaves just recently signed with someone after playing since the lockout over in Europe.

Your right, under the old CBA rights were mantained indefinately. Thats the reason if you check the Kings prospect list on the website it still lists Melyakov, Lyubushin, Fransson, Shefer, and Tenkanen as Kings property still... Braun is still listed though as well which is strange since he was a 06 draft pick... But yeah a situation like this would in the past rarely ever happen and never with a european prospect unless a trade was involved.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
What are the odds that Mikus could win that 3rd line LW postion?
uhmmm.... he has to earn it from Moller and Purcell.
Right now i don't see any chance.
But i've never seen him play and hope i'm completely wrong and he will score 80 Goals

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote