HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's Next Season's Unexpected Rookie Contributor?

Old
07-20-2009, 10:18 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Who's Next Season's Unexpected Rookie Contributor?

Every year there are two kinds of rookies: Those we're expecting to make the team (either in camp or as a call-up) and those that we just don't see coming for one reason or another. I'm looking for the ahead-of-schedule guys, or the just plain obscure.

For example, I'd say Vishnevskiy is out of bounds for this exercise since we got a glimpse of what he's capable of and a call-up at some point seems inevitable..

A year ago you would've said that both Brunnstrom and Neal were going to be given their shot in the NHL and probably put up some numbers along the way. Wandell though? Doubtful. So many factors made that so unlikely as to never even enter the mind.

Go back another year. Grossman was in kind of the same situation that IV is now. He was a late-season call-up and impressed during that time, albeit with a different skill set. Sure enough he became a regular come autumn. Then you had Niskanen who shocked a lot of people with his performance in camp and won a spot outright.

Now of course it's entirely possible that there won't be one at all, but if there is, who you got? Doesn't have to be someone that'll light the world on fire, just make an impact of some kind.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
theheadmata

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Raymond Sawada as the more likely choice; Jamie Benn as the long shot.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Goibniu

It would be nice to see Colton Sceviour make a contribution. He is a Right shot Right Wing that the stars need.

Last edited by Goibniu: 07-20-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
Goibniu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:42 AM
BigG44

Based on piqued’s criteria, I’d have to say Sawada and Larsen.

I get the impression that most people, myself included, already believe Sawada will be on the 4th line but in the NHL for the full season. He has the potential to make a big impact on the PK, but he should get an opportunity on the scoring lines as well (*cough, cough* Lehtinen injury replacement). If he was able to score 10-15 goals, that would be a big impact from a depth guy. Plus, that kind of production would be unexpected from him.

Larsen, however unlikely, could make an immediate impact like Jokinen did in his first season in NA. He’ll have to be very impressive in camp, but realistically, the points on the 2nd PP unit should be wide open. He’s probably ahead of Vishnevskiy in regard to ES and PK play so if he came in and proved to be a viable option on the 2nd PP unit, he could steal a job. I can’t wait to see Vishnevskiy, but I still think another year in the AHL, this time as the #1 guy, would go a long way for his development. I doubt either Larsen or Vishnevskiy make the jump at the start of the year, but Larsen could be the biggest surprise rookie if it does make it.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
How close is Ondrej Roman?

I don't think he's signed yet, but he could be a surprise callup, couldn't he?

07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
How close is Ondrej Roman?

I don't think he's signed yet, but he could be a surprise callup, couldn't he?
transfer issues

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I sorry but I don't see Sawada making any major difference, I don't think he will really be any better than he showed mid season last year.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:06 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Much as I'd love it, I don't see Larsen or IV as having a legit shot unless we move a D man or get revisited by the injury gods again. Sawada's the easy guess, since he's already been mentioned by management. I would think Wandell too, but maybe he's played too much to be considered for this. There sure doesn't seem like much room for the bottom six to be added to. I keep praying that Barch spends his time in the pressbox.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Alistar

I don't really see alot of room for rookie contributors next year.. I guess Vishnevskiy could be even better then everyone expects and put up major points

I can't wait until his first season running a PP unit, people have never heard of this guy and he's going to come out of nowhere to put up 40+ points in his 2nd or 3rd year

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:46 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I don't see how Sawada will be a "unexpected rookie contributor". Unless he flat out sucks in training camp or gets injured he'll be on the roster.

However, based off the trend it will be Climie or Bachman. Sure the trend is based off of injures to a certain position, but anyway.

For the Stars.
07-08 year of the rookie defensemen
08-09 year of the rookie forwards
09-10 year of a rookie goalie?

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
vofty

I'm gonna go with Larsen. IMHO IV needs a full year running the pp point in Austin, as he didn't get to do it last year with the Rivermen.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
I'm gonna go with Larsen. IMHO IV needs a full year running the pp point in Austin, as he didn't get to do it last year with the Rivermen.
I'm not going to argue the possible benefits of IV playing at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the season as the Texas Stars #1, as opposed to playing 14 mins per game with Dallas. I'm as high as anybody on Larsen's future, but I don't see how everybody is saying that Vishnevskiy needs more time to mature, but seem to think Larsen is ready to step in and contribute in a big way. If anything, I think Larsen has a higher ceiling than IV as a complete player, but I don't want him to be rushed. IV has put in some time in the minors; a little more wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he opened the season in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
I would think Wandell too, but maybe he's played too much to be considered for this.
He played a handfull of games yeah, but if he were to make the team outright and turn in a 35+ point rookie season I think we would have to look at that as a somewhat unexpected rookie contribution.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
piqued

I thought about ruling out Sawada, since I personally am expecting him to be a fixture on the 4th line, but I suppose that's in no way a given quite yet. Who knows how he strikes Crawford in camp.

For my pick I'm going wayyy off the board like a Stars' 3rd rounder: Luke Gazdic.

Barch gets injured in a fight mid-season, Gazdic gets the call from Austin, wins his first few bouts on pure adrenaline, some wayward pucks bounce in off of him, and voila! rookie impact.

Old
07-20-2009, 11:48 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I thought about ruling out Sawada, since I personally am expecting him to be a fixture on the 4th line, but I suppose that's in no way a given quite yet. Who knows how he strikes Crawford in camp.

For my pick I'm going wayyy off the board like a Stars' 3rd rounder: Luke Gazdic.

Barch gets injured in a fight mid-season, Gazdic gets the call from Austin, wins his first few bouts on pure adrenaline, some wayward pucks bounce in off of him, and voila! rookie impact.
I actually considered Gazdic, but mostly because I remember seeing someone (Jackson I think) mention that they would give Gazdic a serious look in camp. I don't recall where I saw it, though.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I'm not going to argue the possible benefits of IV playing at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the season as the Texas Stars #1, as opposed to playing 14 mins per game with Dallas. I'm as high as anybody on Larsen's future, but I don't see how everybody is saying that Vishnevskiy needs more time to mature, but seem to think Larsen is ready to step in and contribute in a big way. If anything, I think Larsen has a higher ceiling than IV as a complete player, but I don't want him to be rushed. IV has put in some time in the minors; a little more wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he opened the season in Dallas.
IV is hopefully our future PPQB. He has all the ability in the world to make it happen. I am just not crazy about the idea of throwing him into being an NHL PPQB for us when he hasn't even done it in the AHL. Yes IV played in the AHL last year but he was playing for the Rivermen and from what I understand did not run their pp, St. Louis had their own prospect running it. I just think he needs a year of running it before he is thrown onto a big stage and expected to do it. If he is very solid doing it in the AHL for 1/2 a year or so, yea call him up and see how it goes. His potential impact with the team is such, that I would really hate rushing him if he isn't ready for it.

Last edited by vofty: 07-21-2009 at 01:14 PM.
vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 03:10 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
IV is hopefully our future PPQB. He has all the ability in the world to make it happen. I am just not crazy about the idea of throwing him into being an NHL PPQB for us when he hasn't even done it in the AHL. Yes IV played in the AHL last year but he was playing for the Rivermen and from what I understand did not run their pp, St. Louis had their own prospect running it. I just think he needs a year of running it before he is thrown onto a big stage and expected to do it. If he is very solid doing it in the AHL for 1/2 a year or so, yea call him up and see how it goes. His potential impact with the team is such, that I would really hate rushing him if he isn't ready for it.
I agree that you shouldn't rush a player, which can sometimes result in ruining a solid prospect. Like I said, it wouldn't hurt to have him get a lot of PP work in the AHL for at least part of the season. But at the same time, other than the requisite skill-set required to run a PP (which Vishnevskiy has), the player needs a lot of confidence, patience, and a certain unflappability about him. In his short time with Dallas last season, Vishnevskiy showed a higher than average degree of all of these. He isn't afraid of taking chances, but at the same time his hockey IQ is high enough that he doesn't take huge risks. I don't have a problem with him starting the season in Austin, that would be a boon to the Texas Stars, but only if he is judged by management/coaching to not be one of the team's 6 best d-men.

Sounds like we agree on rationale, I just happen to think Vishnevskiy is further along in his development than you.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I agree that you shouldn't rush a player, which can sometimes result in ruining a solid prospect. Like I said, it wouldn't hurt to have him get a lot of PP work in the AHL for at least part of the season. But at the same time, other than the requisite skill-set required to run a PP (which Vishnevskiy has), the player needs a lot of confidence, patience, and a certain unflappability about him. In his short time with Dallas last season, Vishnevskiy showed a higher than average degree of all of these. He isn't afraid of taking chances, but at the same time his hockey IQ is high enough that he doesn't take huge risks. I don't have a problem with him starting the season in Austin, that would be a boon to the Texas Stars, but only if he is judged by management/coaching to not be one of the team's 6 best d-men.

Sounds like we agree on rationale, I just happen to think Vishnevskiy is further along in his development than you.
I would certainly hope so!

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Captain Awesome

I love IV as much as the next poster here (another underrated Dallas prospect! This is becoming predictable.), but I think another year to round out his game would be great. He seems like he could top out as a #3, maybe even a #1. And I wouldn't want to ruin that by calling him up too early. I asked some Peoria fans about his game but there don't seem to be too many of them on this website.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 06:00 PM
aisforaaron83

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post

Gazdic couldnt beat Brassard in a fight. the kid is tough, but takes much more punishment then he gives. Also, he fights at inopportune times. Keep him in Austin and see if he improves. Dont forget that Sutherby can and will fight as well.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 03:47 AM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Keep in mind, IV showed his "flashes" against an abysmal Colorado PK. I figure a real team wouldn't be so eager to collapse on a rookie D-man and leave a sniper wide open. As long as Richards and Robidas are on roster, I doubt we'll see much of IV. I can't to see him a few years from now.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Keep in mind, IV showed his "flashes" against an abysmal Colorado PK. I figure a real team wouldn't be so eager to collapse on a rookie D-man and leave a sniper wide open.
Actually, it was against other teams than just Colorado. Further, Colorado was a real team led by a real coach, and the prudent strategy to combat a rookie d-man running the point on the PP is the exact opposite of what you claim. You want to pressure him and force him into making a mistake. Further still, what was impressive about Vishnevskiy wasn't his alleged passing to a wide open mythical sniper the Stars don't have, but rather how he handled the puck on the point of the PP and how quickly he got off shots.

As for next season's unexpected rookie, color me confused on what Piqued means. While Vishenevskiy is out of bounds due to time in the NHL being "inevitable," Sawada and Wandell are, apparently not out of bounds even though the former certainly will spend at least some time in the NHL and the latter stands a good chance to make the roster coming out of camp. Neither seem unexpected. Glennie, on the other hand, would be a shock. As would Larsen.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
piqued

Sorry if I was unclear, but I was trying to rule out Wandell since I cited him as this past year's version.

Old
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM
DefendingBigD

This is a great question, since it's uncertain which rookies (if any) will be starting the season with the team. Of course we never know what will happen as the season progresses, so we have to look at who will be the first to get called up.

Sawada's at the top of the list, but I'm not convinced he will ever be more than a reserve/ 4th line players. I've seen him play several times over the past year and he reminds of a player that had a lot of potential but never took that next step, sort of like Joel Lundqvist. He's got great size and likes to get physical and has great energy, but I'm not certain his offensive production will ever warrant him moving much higher up in the team's depth chart, unless necessity calls for it.

With eight defensemen under contract currently, it would take a couple of injuries for us to see a call up that doesn't include the 8th guy. I think if one is needed however, they won't be so quick to call upon Vishnevskiy since they want him to get experience as the #1 guy. I think we could see Maxime Fortunus or *possibly* Guillaume Monast, but most likely we'll see Garrett Stafford. Personally, if they need a d-man for two-three weeks I'd like to see what Fortunus could do.

Forwards that would be called up: Wandell, maybe Tyler Shelast, maybe Gagnon.

This will be an interesting year to see how the Stars handle their AHL prospects, and will certainly hinge on how the season goes for the big club. If injury necessitates a call up for a few weeks, I wouldn't expect to see Benn, Sceviour, Gazdic, Korostin, or any of the guys who are making the jump to the AHL. The Stars want to make sure that the young guys are developing like they should and getting acclimated to a higher level of competition. That makes this a tough year to find the "rookie who will surprise us" because I doubt the Stars use a rookie as much as they have the past few seasons.

That being said, I think this will be a much easier question to answer once we get our eyes on these guys in training camp. There's some that think Jamie Benn could really make a strong push to start the season in the NHL and he's entering camp with that exact mindset. There are also those that think he's not close to being ready for that jump.

As far as Ondrej Roman goes, he's having trouble getting released by the Czech Rep., like he did last season.

DefendingBigD is offline   Reply With Quote