Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss hockey players in NHL/AHL

Old
06-08-2009, 10:01 AM
dsg89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackster View Post
His 1st Game was a strong one but was lost in OT..... And then for a goaltender without playing time he played so so!

Although they always say you have to be ready when they call you as a backup, Stephan wasn't able to do that... I think that Matt Climie has surpassed him in the depth chart and so there's no need for Stephan...

The good thing for him is, that he's unrestricted Free Agent and has the chance to sign with every team (if there is a team that wants him)...

But I think he'll be returning back home, hopefully to Kloten since Rueger is more than overdue (still playing good though)....

As for Amühl, I think he has a real good shot a knocking on the opening night roster... I hope he'll prepare right for the training camp so he's gonna be in good shape!
I am quite sure Stephan is coming back to Switzerland for the upcoming season. Possible he will be back in Kloten, but for the next season, he would still be backup there..so Kloten has to promise him, he's the starting goalie, otherwise he won't playing for Kloten. Biel is also looking after a new goaltender or Fribourg, when they can't hold Caron. But Manzato, who's also a UFA ist contacting with the GM of Fribourg.

dsg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:02 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg89 View Post
I am quite sure Stephan is coming back to Switzerland for the upcoming season. Possible he will be back in Kloten, but for the next season, he would still be backup there..so Kloten has to promise him, he's the starting goalie, otherwise he won't playing for Kloten. Biel is also looking after a new goaltender or Fribourg, when they can't hold Caron. But Manzato, who's also a UFA ist contacting with the GM of Fribourg.
That is a pitty. I thought that Manzato was on a very good path for success. He was subject to special attention on the side of the huricane management. Until this year which was a disapointing year for him. I felt and hoped he could make it into the NHL.

Hopefully Stephan can find a team with an opening that would suit you. If phily is conisdering hiring Emery, their MUST be a place for Stephan AND Manzato somewhere !!!

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Biel has snagged up Berra from Davos.... I'm not sure if they can afford two Goaltenders with the salary of a no.1

To be honest, just Servette Geneva needs a new Goaltender, although Mona is not a bad goaltender, but there's a upgrade if they would add Stephan.... Maybe Fribourg Gotteron could add Manzato, since he's from their junior program, but then again paying Sebastien Caron and Manzato No.1 Money is tough for a swiss hockey club....

Zug has a foreign Goaltender in Jussi Markkanen for next season, but could use Stephan if they want to play with 4 foreign field players instead of 3 and a goalie (same with Fribourg, but Zug has usually a bigger budget)....

It's gonna be an interessting summer...

But if those two decide to stay in North america, they probably have to take two-way contracts and be 3rd stringers in the AHL.... I don't see any NHL-Backup position for them....

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
dsg89

Just heard about Tim Ramholt is coming back to Switzerland. Davos or Geneva. Would say Davos. Arno Del Curto had spoken to Ramholt and I am sure his heading to Davos for the next season.

Old
06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Just heard about Tim Ramholt is coming back to Switzerland. Davos or Geneva. Would say Davos. Arno Del Curto had spoken to Ramholt and I am sure his heading to Davos for the next season.
This was only a matter of time....

Like Timo Helbling he had a dream and fought for his dream, but came short in the end....
Since there aren't many quality defenders in the swiss league, he should be able to cash in big and get big minutes to play...
In Davos he would have a top coach who would bring the best in him out. Since Del Curto is a top motivator... But I wonder how Davos will play next season and how they gonna fill the hole Ambuhl left.... Nino Niederreiter is probably not ready for the top-six and probably will go to North america!?

Old
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
dsg89

Quote:
This was only a matter of time....

Like Timo Helbling he had a dream and fought for his dream, but came short in the end....
Since there aren't many quality defenders in the swiss league, he should be able to cash in big and get big minutes to play...
In Davos he would have a top coach who would bring the best in him out. Since Del Curto is a top motivator... But I wonder how Davos will play next season and how they gonna fill the hole Ambuhl left.... Nino Niederreiter is probably not ready for the top-six and probably will go to North america!?
Have spoken to different sources and it seems like Nino Niederreiter will play in North America next season. I am quite interessed how he will act in the upcoming CHL import Draft.

By the way, it seems like Lugano is targeting to sign Alexandre Giroux from the Caps.

Old
06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
dsg89

Quote:
It's confirmed!! Tim Ramholt is playing for Davos in the future. He is signing a 2 year contract, which includes a exit clause for the NHL.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:49 PM
torero

Sbisa became a Duck !

he and Lupul were exchanged against Pronger.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

2 swiss in Anaheim ?

I already liked them but i suddenly feel even more close to these volatiles that chinese enjoy so much!

I hope he will get some ice time.

++

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerber being employed by the Leafs for at least another year ... when reading the online literature. Anyone has a thought on that ?

Last edited by torero: 06-27-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Godi Jr

Hello I'm new been fallowing thread for a couple of months. Any infoon American born Swiss playing hockey? My son was picked by the Kenosha Rampage to play Jr B hockey in the Great Lakes League. His Dream is play in NHL he also talk about playing in Suisse. We have daul Citizenship. He still has 1 yr High school left. Janick Steinmann is distant Cousin plays for AV Zug.

Gottlieb Brandli Jr.

Last edited by Godi Jr: 06-29-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add somthing
Godi Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
swissy

There are actually several US born Swiss playing in the Swiss league:

Eric Blum, SCL Tigers --> http://www.ericblum.ch/

Bernie Sigrist, Lausanne --> http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=45008

I'm sure there are more.

swissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:44 PM
koh19

So, looking at the current situation, here are the swiss players that we will see play in the NHL in the 2009-10 season:

Locks:
- Hiller (Anaheim): not sure if they're gonna start the season 50/50 with Giguere or if they're giving Hiller the starting job.

- Sbisa (Anaheim): should crack the Ducks' lineup. With Pronger, Beauchemin gone, he has a real chance

- Streit (NY Islanders): nothing to say, best defenseman of the team, could be the next captain, all-star caliber player

Good chance:

- Weber (Montreal): played a few games last year. With the arrivals of Spacek and Gill; and Markov, Hamrlik, Georges and O'Byrne, could be 7th dman. Could crack the lineup if O'Byrne is sent to Hamilton

Possibility:

-Ambühl (NY Rangers): signed a two-way deal with the Rangers. Their roster is pretty stacked right now but he could surprise everyone and get a spot. Will most likely start the season in Hartford, but who knows...

Small possibility:

-Steiner (Columbus): signed a tryout contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Would be a chocker if he starts the season with the Jackets.

Very unlikely:

-Stephan (Dallas): for some reason, the Stars organization don't seem to like this kid. Played only a handful of games last year, played ok. Dallas don't want him back.

-Gerber (Toronto): with Toskala and Gustavsson, there's no place for Gerbs. He might be able to find a team where he can be a solid veteran backup.

As for guys like Wick, I haven't heard anything yet.

Do you guys agree? Have I forgotten anybody?

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 02:27 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Some comments about your list :

- I can't see Montreal playing both Gill and O'Byrne too often, so unless they add another defenseman, Weber should get a fair number of games.

- Ambühl's style fits well on an NHL 3rd or 4th line, no reason to think he won't play.

- If Steiner is ever part of an NHL roster, that'd be a shocker but certainly not a choker

- Gerber should be lister under "Good chance" rather than "Very unlikely", unless you're specifically talking about him staying in Toronto.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 04:11 AM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Some comments about your list :

- I can't see Montreal playing both Gill and O'Byrne too often, so unless they add another defenseman, Weber should get a fair number of games.

- Ambühl's style fits well on an NHL 3rd or 4th line, no reason to think he won't play.

- If Steiner is ever part of an NHL roster, that'd be a shocker but certainly not a choker

- Gerber should be lister under "Good chance" rather than "Very unlikely", unless you're specifically talking about him staying in Toronto.
lol, yeah I meant shocker.

As for Gerbs, he won't be back in Toronto but I'd be a bit surprised if he finds a starting job somewhere. I can see a team with a young goalie picking him up for veteran presence and experience.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:29 AM
torero

Anyone has some news on Luca Cunti ?

This guy had the higest rating granted by hf futures. Since his rating was revised down. But i never saw him playing and in fact have very little info on him.

Old
07-15-2009, 12:16 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Anyone has some news on Luca Cunti ?

This guy had the higest rating granted by hf futures. Since his rating was revised down. But i never saw him playing and in fact have very little info on him.
Nope. He wasn't at the Tampa Bay Lightning Young guns camp (wasn't on list at least).

Old
07-17-2009, 08:40 PM
torero

Contracts are over for Tobias Stephan (ex Dallas) and Gerber (ex Toronto)

http://www.slapshot.ch/slapshot-news...id=8625&navi=7

Possibly Gerber would replace his old mate Emery in Russia.

http://www.slapshot.ch/slapshot-news...id=8640&navi=7

I really feel sorry for Stephan ... who never really had a shot at the NHL ice.

Old
07-18-2009, 08:50 AM
koh19

yeah that sucks for Stephan. He busted his a$$ off in the minors for 3 years and this is how he gets rewarded?!?! Playing only a handful of games where he played pretty darn good under the circumstances. Turco played like shiit all season long. Tippett is an idiot, that's for sure.

Old
07-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

The thing with Cunti is, that he's still unsigned.... The Lightings have until next summer to get him under contract or they will lose his rights!

I think he'll be in the pro camp after the development camp since he'll probably play in Norfolk next season (or as an overager Rimouski)...
The Admirals will probably have Juraj Simek and Luca Cunti on their roster... How cool is that (well Simek is not realy the type of guy I want as a teammate, but still somehow cool)....

Gerber is done in the NHL (to be honest, I always thought he was overrated, not that I didn't liked his achievments but I wouldn't have signed him to that much cash and so long...)!
I think he'll return to Sweden, since playing in russia is like your a creature in a zoo behind "swedish bars"... LOL

For Stephan it's realy gonna be hard, since even in Switzerland it looks like there are no goaltender spots open, the same for Daniel Manzato who also is UFA....
The best thing for both of them would be if Reto Berra (who is in the Blues development camp) gets a contract and goes to NA and one of them could fill in that spot.....

Old
07-18-2009, 05:18 PM
koh19

Just read that Julien Sprunger's priority is not the NHL anymore but the swiss league. It's a shame really, if one guy could have become the first swiss forward to get a spot on a roster and keep it, it could have been him. He says that he thinks that he has a nice life in switzerland and that he wants to get married and have kids ( meh). He doesn't want to travel all across North America.

As for Roman Wick, I haven't heard anything. It's strange. He was supposed to go to the NHL this year and was supposed to be a highly saut after player.

Old
07-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Those two Players, Sprunger and Wick, are both missing a key element which is grit!

Grit like it has been successfully shown by Marc Streit or even Daniel Steiner right now (I have the biggest respect for him for trying this!)... I have full respect from such Players as they take what it needs to get to their dream....

Wick has quit already once to the NHL and the Senators, when they said after the camp he should go back to the CHL and work on certain thing, he choose to come back to Switzerland to play for good money for Kloten. In my eyes, if I would be a NHL-GM, I wouldn't even think of such a player who leaves when he doesn't like it anymore....

Sprunger has always been in my eyes to soft. I even think he's to soft for the swiss league where he gets pushed around.... My godness he's 6'4'' and weights 192 Pounds, that's like bones and skin....

Old
07-18-2009, 06:19 PM
koh19

Quote:
Those two Players, Sprunger and Wick, are both missing a key element which is grit!

Grit like it has been successfully shown by Marc Streit or even Daniel Steiner right now (I have the biggest respect for him for trying this!)... I have full respect from such Players as they take what it needs to get to their dream....

Wick has quit already once to the NHL and the Senators, when they said after the camp he should go back to the CHL and work on certain thing, he choose to come back to Switzerland to play for good money for Kloten. In my eyes, if I would be a NHL-GM, I wouldn't even think of such a player who leaves when he doesn't like it anymore....

Sprunger has always been in my eyes to soft. I even think he's to soft for the swiss league where he gets pushed around.... My godness he's 6'4'' and weights 192 Pounds, that's like bones and skin....
yeah, what Steiner is doing is great! Imagine if he made the blue jackets' roster on opening night! that would be amazing.

Concerning Wick, i wasn't aware of that NHL/CHL episode. That's unfortunate. Despite this fact, I think he has the offensive talent to make the NHL.

I also really hope Ambuhl makes it. He never got drafted but made his way up the swiss league and became one of the premier offensive players. He has the determination, grit, toughness and offensive impact to make the NHL. As things stand, the Rangers' lineup looks pretty stacked with guys like Gaborik, Avery, Gratchev, Callahan, Dubinsky, Zherdev, Kotalik, Drury, Brashear, Lisin, Anisimov and Voros. He might steal a spot on the 3rd or 4rd line as high energy/checking center but it looks like he might start the season in Hartford.

Old
07-22-2009, 04:44 AM
torero

Gerber will play in the KHL ... Atlant Mytishchi replacing Emery !!

++

Nills Berger to from Repperswill to Innisfill lakers

Allan Tallarini from Langnau to Idaho Steelheads

Nino Niederreitter from Davos U20 to Portland winter hawks

++

By the way I discovered a very interesting site : eliteprospects dot com. certainly most of you know it ... but for the ones who don't : enjoy.

++

Does someone know something about Nino Niederreiter ?? he appears interesting in terms of numbers ... a goal hunter !
and quite young. The promised star of tomorow's swiss hockey ?

Old
07-22-2009, 05:00 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Niederreiter looked promising when he played some games against Lugano during last year's playoffs. Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

Born on September 8th, 1992. That makes him eligible for next year draft, assuming the cutoff date is still september 15th.

Last edited by stv11: 07-22-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old
07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Niederreiter looked promising when he played some games against Lugano during last year's playoffs. Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

Born on September 8th, 1992. That make him eligible for next year draft, assuming the cutoff date is still september 15th.
He could be a 1st Round Pick in next years NHL Entry Draft, at least a good chance to go in the Top 50...

He's big, a good skater with good hands... He's also a nice and respectable guy (kind of shy, but then he's only 16)!

The Problem is with his talent, that there are probably 20 Players out of canada who are at the same level. For sure, he's a special talent for Switzerland, one that comes along every ten or fifteen years....

Originally he's from Chur and went on to play for Davos....

Old
07-22-2009, 05:08 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Interesting Gerber interview on hockeyfans.ch:

http://hockeyfans.ch/background/090722.htm

He said he had an opportunity to sign with Pittsburgh but wanted to be a number one, as well as a new challenge.