HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Where we stand compared to the rest of the division.

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2009, 12:31 PM
gobolt7

vCash: 500
Where we stand compared to the rest of the division.

Since the draft and UFA are now behind us, and we are close to seeing what most of the rosters are going to look like come opening night, where do we stand compared to the rest of the southeast?

1) Washington. In a class above everyone else. If they stay healthey, they could challenge for the east.

2) Tampa. Improved defense, and in my opinion, will challenge for the best goaltending duo in the division. Will surprise quite a few this year.

3) Carolina. Never seems like they can put consecutive good years together. Will be booing Jussi Jokenin by Decemeber. (2 and 3 will be close, and fighting for a playoff spot imo)

4) Atlanta. It starts and ends with goaltending. Can Lethonen stay healthy for an entire year and will Kovalchucks looming UFA status become a distraction?

5) Florida. What can I say, clearly NOT their year.

Old
07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I just want to beat Washington.

Old
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

I agree with how you put it, I hope we are there competing for second in the division, could go either way, if we get second though I think we make the playoffs.

Florida and Atlanta are going to be fighting for a top draft pick, I think Atlanta ends up worse although they should be improved from last year. Florida doesn't have anything that sticks out, they should be solid defensively, but really they don't have much going for them, Atlanta atleast has Kovalchuk if they can convince him to come back.

Old
07-17-2009, 02:06 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

3rd, right in the middle. We have a lot of things that could go very right for us, but also....

How will Stamkos play- Will he have a sophomore slump now that he will be counted on more this year, or will he explode into the all star he was meant to be?

Injuries- Both our goalies have had injury problems in the past, especially Smith coming off the terrible concussion he had. It will yet to be seen if he is really back to his old self. Also a number of other guys were hurt like Vinny with his wrist, and Ranger and Meszaros both having shoulder surgeries.

Scoring outside the top 6- was a problem last season. Defensemen had problems like Meszaros and Ranger. Also the bottom 6 forwards need to contribute offensively. How much will can any of Downie, Karsums, Craig, Szczechura, Halpern, Veilleux, Artyukhin, Hall, Jones, or Tukonen contribute will be a big factor.

Coaching- Toc did a good job filling in and playing substitute teacher last season. Now he is the head coach and has the power and the time to run things how he wants them to be down. He gets to start fresh and take control. But how good of a coach can he be? We are also looking for a assistant coach too.

I think there are plenty of reasons to be very optimistic for this season and of course anything can happen, but I do not believe this is the year were I can consider us a serious playoff contender. We won't be looking at top picks come December, but if we can make the playoffs remains to be seen.

Old
07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I'm going to expect 4th out of 5. If we do better... ****ing awesome.

Old
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Off Center

i'd be happy to just see us not back down in physical games, not blow leads, and show some emerging chemistry involving our young players....i'm not too fixated on where we finish the season, as i think even a playoff berth would be short lived given we'd likely end up facing a much deeper and more organized top seed

southeast is a weaker division and alot can go our way, but i agree with most here, we won't be first or last, 2nd would be a success, relatively speaking.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I feel the Caps is but quite a margin the best team at the moment (sadly..), then it's between us, Canes and Atlanta. Then comes nothing, and then the Panthers.

07-17-2009, 03:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

3rd, just behind Carolina. Whatever happens, I don't see us ending up last but this will be a very tough division...

Old
07-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 10400
Awards:
This is one of the I have no idea things. I got my hopes up last season with all the changes, thinking we could end up in 2nd place behind Washington, but, we landed on the bottom again...

So this season I'm going to say I hope we atleast don't end up 5th again

Old
07-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I'm going to expect 4th out of 5. If we do better... ****ing awesome.
This.

Washington and Carolina are clearly the two best teams in the division. Both made deep playoff runs and are a Washington meltdown on home ice in game 7 away from meeting in the ECFs. Neither has lost much so it's hard to put any of the other three above them.

Florida finished in 3rd and a point away from the playoffs, but I do wonder how they replace Bouwmeester. He wasn't very good down the stretch and he's not an elite defenseman..but he's a guy that ate up a ton of minutes for them. Jordan Leopold is a downgrade and I wonder how other guys there are going to do in increased roles. They're also the only team in the division without a true gamebreaker up front.

Atlanta seemed to hit their stride down the stretch when they were healthy and got used to Anderson's coaching. Adding Antropov and Kubina improves that team a good deal. Like I said in another thread, they're not a playoff team but they'll be in the race late in the year.

Obviously the Lightning improve just from getting people healthy, also upgraded the defense through free agency and with Hedman. Still a few too many questions that won't be answered until camp to have any confidence for the team. I think they'll be in the playoff race in March and I don't think they'll be last in the division. I think expecting a playoff spot after finishing 14th is silly to me. Most likely to finish 3rd or 4th IMO.

Old
07-19-2009, 02:21 AM
LecavaYeahBaby

Send a message via AIM to LecavaYeahBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LecavaYeahBaby Send a message via Skype™ to LecavaYeahBaby
Washington lost a lot. Kozlov and Fedorov split to the K, ask bruce how much that hurts. Knuble can replace 'ozlov and is probably a little better but Morrison is done so who knows. When it matters the Caps will fold again

Old
07-19-2009, 06:17 AM
bassassin

Ok I know this is presuming a lot of things, but does anyone else think that if we get into the playoffs and start off against the right team we could make some noise?

I mean I know that presumes we get in, but with this improvement I cant think that we wont be challenging for the 7th and 8th seeds next season. We may miss out but playoffs are a possibility.

It is just that I read an article that mentioned that at the end of the 07-08 season we were 13-2 against Pittsburgh in our last 15 meetings (despite the fact that we split the series 2-2 in that season, so before that pretty much unbeaten). And even last season, with such a crap team when we had Smith we went 1-0-1, and then 0-2 when he was out

Whereas I know the Caps, Devils, Rangers etc we dont want to meet. But that is the positive I saw in finishing 7th or 8th, we may plays the Penguins.

Old
07-19-2009, 11:49 AM
STRANGE VICTORY

I really think anything could happen this season, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet, and if we do get in the playoffs we have the pieces we need, but we definitely have a long way to go before we can start thinking about that.

That being said how incredible is the core of this team?

Lecavalier
St. Louis
Stamkos
Hedman
Smith

Excellent talent in every position, and none of it should be leaving anytime soon. For a team with such a bleak future 2 years ago we have everything we need to succeed if we can keep depth.

Very few teams have a core like that, especially on O.

Old
07-21-2009, 04:29 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
I just want to beat Washington.
done

Old
07-21-2009, 04:31 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRANGE VICTORY View Post
I really think anything could happen this season, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet, and if we do get in the playoffs we have the pieces we need, but we definitely have a long way to go before we can start thinking about that.

That being said how incredible is the core of this team?

Lecavalier
St. Louis
Stamkos
Hedman
Smith

Excellent talent in every position, and none of it should be leaving anytime soon. For a team with such a bleak future 2 years ago we have everything we need to succeed if we can keep depth.

Very few teams have a core like that, especially on O.

Add Öhlund, Meszaros, Ranger, the UFA you can afford to sign and the one forward you get in return for the surplus d-men.

Old
07-21-2009, 07:51 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Add Öhlund, Meszaros, Ranger, the UFA you can afford to sign and the one forward you get in return for the surplus d-men.
I don't really think those guys are core players, they are all good but aren't really the core of the team.

At any rate, we aren't looking nearly as bad as we did at the beginning of last season.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:16 PM
CSampson

Southleast no more. More like Northleast now

Old
07-22-2009, 01:52 PM
The Sneak

This topic inspired me to start a related thread over on the Thrashers board. In it I question the Lightning depth. While I think Tampa can ice an outstanding first 6 players what's behind that? Where is the secondary scoring coming from in Tampa? Educate me. Another Thrasher fan advised me not to underestimate the Bolts, I just wanted to know who we need to focus on after Vinny, Stamkos and St Louis?

Old
07-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
This topic inspired me to start a related thread over on the Thrashers board. In it I question the Lightning depth. While I think Tampa can ice an outstanding first 6 players what's behind that? Where is the secondary scoring coming from in Tampa? Educate me. Another Thrasher fan advised me not to underestimate the Bolts, I just wanted to know who we need to focus on after Vinny, Stamkos and St Louis?
Malone, Prospal, probably Downie. Something to keep in mind is the blueline was so battered, we have little to no transition game and we were taking nearly 45 shots a night on average. The Boston game that we won we took 52 shots and squeaked by. Its not as if we don't have scoring depth, we just never got out of our zone last year.

Have some good 3rd line bangers but poor hands, with the exception of Halpern, Craig if hes actually here, Hall isn't bad.

Could potentially see some scoring from the blueline if Mez/Ranger bounce back.

I don't plan on anything other than guys staying healthy, though.

Old
07-22-2009, 03:54 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Lol um pot kettle black? What does Atlanta have other than kovalchuk little and kozlov? Nothing special. In fact the lightnings top 6 is better than atlantas top 6.

As for our bottom lines, halpern will put up points as will veilleux.

Not for nothing but I find it hilarious that a thrashers fan is going to question our ability to score with our forward group compared to your own.

Old
07-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Lol um pot kettle black? What does Atlanta have other than kovalchuk little and kozlov? Nothing special. In fact the lightnings top 6 is better than atlantas top 6.

Not for nothing but I find it hilarious that a thrashers fan is going to question our ability to score with our forward group compared to your own.
Come down killer, he came to ask a question, not to troll.

Old
07-22-2009, 04:46 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post

Thank you for the interest in the Thrashers. Actually offense wasn't a concern for us last season. It was defense and erratic goaltending. We were 9th in the league in scoring with five 20 goal scorers. We have brought in Antropov (29 goal scorer last season) and have top 4 pick Evander Kane with an outside shot to make the team. He's not as dynamic as a Stamkos but certainly an elite scoring talent in the raw.

I like our forward options but I still have concerns over our defense. Bringing in Kubina, a player you are all very familiar with, and getting rid of Exelby will help quite a bit but I still consider our blueline a work in progress.

I like Meszaros and Ranger quite a bit for y'all and you have to be excited about Hedman. Getting Ohlund to mentor him was an excellent move. Has the makings of a respectable top 4 if Hedman can adjust. Considering Bogosian was able to do it last year for us I see no reason why Hedman can't this year. I know nothing, however, about any of your other defensemen. what will your pairings look like for this season?

Old
07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Thank you for the interest in the Thrashers. Actually offense wasn't a concern for us last season. It was defense and erratic goaltending. We were 9th in the league in scoring with five 20 goal scorers. We have brought in Antropov (29 goal scorer last season) and have top 4 pick Evander Kane with an outside shot to make the team. He's not as dynamic as a Stamkos but certainly an elite scoring talent in the raw.

I like our forward options but I still have concerns over our defense. Bringing in Kubina, a player you are all very familiar with, and getting rid of Exelby will help quite a bit but I still consider our blueline a work in progress.

I like Meszaros and Ranger quite a bit for y'all and you have to be excited about Hedman. Getting Ohlund to mentor him was an excellent move. Has the makings of a respectable top 4 if Hedman can adjust. Considering Bogosian was able to do it last year for us I see no reason why Hedman can't this year. I know nothing, however, about any of your other defensemen. what will your pairings look like for this season?
Mez Ranger
Ohlund Hedman
Smaby Walker
Foster ...Lashoff?

I don't know, but they're going to carry 8 defensemen this year, they said.

Old
07-22-2009, 09:49 PM
IslesDude

Quote:

The offense on Tampa/Atlanta is pretty much equal imo. Neither team should be criticizing the other.

From my view they both have good forward scoring depth

Tampa :

Vinny - 40 goals
St.Louis -20-30 goals
Malone - 20-30 goals
Stamkos - 25-35 goals
Prospal -20 goals
Halpern - 10-15 goals

Kovalchuk - 40-50 goals
Little - 25-35 goals
Antropov - 25-30 goals
Kozlov - 20 goals
Peverley - 15 goals
White - 15 goals
Armstrong 15 goals

Actually i'd give the advantage to Atlanta. They seem to have a bit more firepower.

Last edited by IslesDude: 07-22-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old
07-22-2009, 11:44 PM
CSampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesDude View Post
The offense on Tampa/Atlanta is pretty much equal imo. Neither team should be criticizing the other.

From my view they both have good forward scoring depth

Tampa :

Vinny - 40 goals
St.Louis -20-30 goals
Malone - 20-30 goals
Stamkos - 25-35 goals
Prospal -20 goals
Halpern - 10-15 goals

Kovalchuk - 40-50 goals
Little - 25-35 goals
Antropov - 25-30 goals
Kozlov - 20 goals
Peverley - 15 goals
White - 15 goals
Armstrong 15 goals

Actually i'd give the advantage to Atlanta. They seem to have a bit more firepower.

I would agree with this. Probably seeing Malone, St. Louis and Stamkos all passing 30 if everything works out (a big if as far as I am concerned). I think the difference will be defense. If Tampa's defence can hold up and mould together, then they will beat the Thrashers more times then not. Hell, we'll play Nitty (who has never lost to them) and we should be good. I'm looking forward to playing the South East next season, should be good games. Last season's were absolutley dreadful.

Closed Thread