HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign three (Glass, Desbiens, Funk)

Old
07-22-2009, 01:09 PM
-TYC-

vCash: 500
Canucks sign three (Glass, Desbiens, Funk)

Quote:
Canucks sign three

Jul 22, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed forwards Tanner Glass and Guillaume Desbiens and defenceman Mike Funk. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Glass, 25, spent the 2008-09 season with the Rochester Americans of the AHL and Florida Panthers. The Regina, Saskatchewan native recorded 13 points (4-9-13) and 100 penalty minutes in 44 games with Rochester and seven penalty minutes in three games played with Florida. The 60, 196-lbs forward was originally selected by the Florida Panthers 265th overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Funk, 22, played 13 games with the Portland Pirates in 2008-09 recording three points (1-2-3) and eight penalty minutes. The 64, 210-lbs defenceman has played nine NHL games over two seasons for the Buffalo Sabres earning two assists. A native of Abbotsford, British Columbia, Funk was originally drafted by Buffalo 43rd overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Desbiens, 24, played 78 games with the Manitoba Moose in 2008-09 recording 47 points (21-26-47) and 158 penalty minutes. In 22 playoff games with the Moose, the Alma, Quebec native scored four goals and eight assists (4-8-12) with 18 penalty minutes. The 62, 205-lbs winger was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers 116th overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.
http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=451144

-TYC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Nice to see Desbiens finally a part of the organization. Could be the next Rypien.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 01:15 PM
JonnyCash

YeahhH!! Desbiens!!! That's awesome.. soon to be the biggest fan favorite for sure

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Warren Piece

Cool. Funk and Glass were already announced though. Desbiens was expected, but it is good to know it is official.

Huh, I just realized Bolduc and Desbiens played on the same QMJHL team for 3 and a half seasons. I wonder if that is why Desbiens went to the Moose.

Last edited by Warren Piece: 07-22-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Warren Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Good depth moves for the organization.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Nice to see Desbiens finally a part of the organization. Could be the next Rypien.
Very nice, he was the player I noticed the most while watching the Calder Cup finals.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Very nice, he was the player I noticed the most while watching the Calder Cup finals.
The guy has potential to be a beauty. Power forward type player.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
jared37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
Cool. Funk and Glass were already announced though. Desbiens was expected, but it is good to know it is official.

Huh, I just realized Bolduc and Desbiens played on the same QMJHL team for 3 and a half seasons. I wonder if that is why Desbiens went to the Moose.
desbiens went to the moose because they were the only team willing to give him a chance, they signed him to a tryout contract and apparently told him there was a spot on the 4th line he could compete for and he ended up not only winning that but playing half the season on the first line, good to see signed by the canucks,

him and bolduc also have some good chemisty i think so as a future 4th line

desbiens bolduc rypien

that would be a awsome line to watch, lots of hitting fighting and some offence in there as well

jared37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:07 PM
pitseleh

Very happy to hear about Desbiens. I think he has the potential to be a quality fourth liner, the type of player you don't feel bad about having take a semi-regular shift.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Anybody have any scouting reports on these guys? Or if they're posted somewhere already, would peeps like to kindly point me in the right direction?

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Very happy to hear about Desbiens. I think he has the potential to be a quality fourth liner, the type of player you don't feel bad about having take a semi-regular shift.
I agree... and it looks like we have another one of those potential "4th line types" in Bliznak as well, and likely Bolduc can be thrown in there too!

I do find this sudden change though in our organization quite odd... we went from being a team that was always fairly deep on defense - for many years, while having no real forward depth, to the other way around.

The forward depth in this organization is probably the deepest I can ever remember it being... while the defensive depth may be the worst I can remember us having!

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
The forward depth in this organization is probably the deepest I can ever remember it being... while the defensive depth may be the worst I can remember us having!
Dmen under contract:

Salo
Bieksa
Mitchell
Edler
O'Brien
Rome
Baumgartner
Nycholat
Funk
Rahimi
Ellington
Oberg

Unsigned dmen that we hold the rights to:
McIver
Sauve
Price
Andersson
Cannauton
Fredheim
Grot
Koltsov

It is scary to think where our D will be in a few years unless we find some good young dmen quick.
Our best dman prospect is now Sauve, who is far from a sure-thing NHLer.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:39 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Very happy to see Desbiens signed, he was a beast for the Moose in the Playoffs. I expect he'll get some games this year if Rypien/Johnson get injuries.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I mentioned this in another thread - but I think at least part of this can be explained by virtue of the type of players we've drafted in the first two rounds for the past 6 drafts.

1st round......one defenseman (Bourdon) and four forwards
2nd round.....two defensemen and two forwards

3rd+ rounds are pretty much a crap-shoot. And it certainly didn't help previous management(s) dealt away these picks like they were candy.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 03:15 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
Anybody have any scouting reports on these guys? Or if they're posted somewhere already, would peeps like to kindly point me in the right direction?
Funk is a 6'4" defender who was a #2 pick of Buffalo in 2004. Local guy, is an excellent skater for his size and got into a few games for the Sabres a couple years back. Had all kinds of concussion problems last season and wasn't qualified. Needs to be more physical for his size.

Glass is a 4th line/agitator type who played in 41 games for Florida in 07-08. Has very little skill but skates OK and throws his weight around and will fight (although loses most of his scraps). 4th line insurance, will play in Manitoba.

Desbiens is a Moose reclamation project who had an excellent year in the AHL last year with 21 goals/47 points and 158 PIM. Skates pretty well, physical guy who might develop into a solid 3rd/4th liner in the NHL.

Good to finally get Desbiens signed and 'officially' into our prospect pool.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
galiano

Desbiens is another Craig Heisinger signing. This guy finds talent like no one else can - Rypien, Burrows, etc etc.

Put him on the payroll Gillis.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Glass is a 4th line/agitator type who played in 41 games for Florida in 07-08. Has very little skill but skates OK and throws his weight around and will fight (although loses most of his scraps). 4th line insurance, will play in Manitoba.
Sounds like Jeff Cowan...

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
defense will be addressed by trades
having good prospects, at any position is better than drafting for what we need
you can always flip a good forward prospect for a good defensive prospect

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 View Post
Sounds like Jeff Cowan...
Let's hope not. Otherwise the cries of "Tanner Glassjaw!" are just around the corner... =/

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:37 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

You have to think with all this forward depth, someone is going to get traded or packaged for a dman.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
You have to think with all this forward depth, someone is going to get traded or packaged for a dman.
you would think...

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 01:36 AM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Let's hope not. Otherwise the cries of "Tanner Glassjaw!" are just around the corner... =/
To be fair, while he almost never won his fights, Cowan could take a punch pretty well.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFH View Post
To be fair, while he almost never won his fights, Cowan could take a punch pretty well.
That he did. Buddy just kept coming up for more. It was actually getting pretty impressive toward the end of his tenure here. We knew he was going to lose, he knew he was going to lose, but he went in there and kept taking his lumps.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote