HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting in shape

Old
07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
frito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Growing up, I had always wanted to play hockey, but as the nearest rink was over 50 miles away, it was never practical. I had recently moved to the Cleveland area, and my new years resolution was that I would play hockey by the end of next year.

I deliberately gave myself a lot of time, because at 33, I had become very out of shape. I've always worked in the entertainment industry, first Television, then Video Game development, then working in Motorsports. The one thing that they have in common is that I was working long and odd hours with all, of the jobs, and never had time to cook properly for myself. Many times I'd grab fast food on my way in to work, somebody would do a lunch run at work, and then I'd stop at the only places that were open at Midnight, on my way home. And those places were never healthy. At 6'4" ,I was at 315lbs at the start of the year when I made the promise to myself. I quit eating fast food (with the exception of the occasional Taco Bell Fresco Taco) and just started looking for excuses to exercise.

I had a decent treadmill that had become the usual "Clothes rack" got it out, and committed to walking on it whenever I was watching hockey. I even got the point of turning it into a game where I would start the game at 1 mph, and then increase it by .5 mph whenever a goal was scored.

Eventually I built a "TreadDesk" out of some foam and wood to go over the handles of my treadmill. As I had started taking online courses to finish up my degree, I would use the treadmill the entire time I was doing my homework. I'd set it to a low speed usually 1-1.25 mph, but would be on it for 3+ hours a night.

I dropped from 315-285 in a little over 2 months, but then kind of hit a wall. I stayed at 285 for almost 3 months, and no matter what I did, the needle just seemed to stay there. I tried weight lifting, cycling, Wii Fit, EA Sports Active, and altering my diet even more. It really did start to get disheartening.

Where I work they started up a Weight Watcher's group and I joined, more out of fear of my weight going back up, than being convinced I would lose more. I know it's not for everyone, but keeping track of my points really held me accountable to what I was eating, and being able to do it on their webpage through my blackberry tickled my inner geek. Since starting up on it 8 weeks ago, I'm averaging a little over 2 lbs a week, and focusing on filling up on "Low Point" items that I should have been eating in the first place, fruits, vegetables, salads, and fiber. Some days I have trouble eating all my alloted points, because I know all the foods I can fill up on, and avoid many of the higher carb foods that were common in my diet previously.

6 weeks ago, I stepped out onto a sheet of ice for the first time in my life. The local rink is having "Learn to Skate" sessions, and I'm the only person there over the age of probably 10, but I've been having an absolute ball. The first week my instructor couldn't let go of me or I'd fall. I left the half hour class completely drenched in sweat head to toe but with a smile on my face. Since then I've been to every open skate at the rink that I could possibly make, plus I've found other rinks nearby and have their Open Skate times memorized. I've been on the ice out about 4-5 times a week since then and it has been fantastic. I can actually see muscle definition in my legs (woohoo!) and the time I spend on the ice before being worn out has gone from a half hour at first to being the first one on the ice, and then getting chased off by the Zamboni at the end of 2 hours.

I can't say my weight loss has been solely because of Weight Watchers, and I can't say it has been solely the extra exercise I've been doing by skating, but doing both has helped considerably.

I am still falling quite a bit, but it's ok because it's part of learning. The dilemma I am facing now, is buying equipment. I've been contemplating some pants and shin guards to make the "learning" a little less painful, but as the weight is falling off now, I fear making the investment in those pieces of equipment now, and then needing to replace them in another 6 months if I keep losing the weight as I am.
As somebody who started playing hockey at age 33 and also went through the learn to play hockey at the same age, all I can say is that is awesome. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

As far as the pads go, you could go down to a play-it-again sports and pick up some used stuff or even new cheaper stuff. They tend to carry the 2 - 3 year old "overstock" models so you can get unused for not too much money.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Interesting, can you post the link or distributor?
here it is with the nutritional info:

http://www.hempseed.ca/hemp-protein-powder.ihtml

its just over 50% protein, which is of course less by weight than most protein supplements. BUT the other ~48% is pure goodness. it has a naturally perfect ratio of omega3mega6 fatty acids, as well as 6g of fiber (with only half a gram of sugar) in a 30g serving. other than the seeds being hulled and milled into a fine powder it is unprocessed, and is not heated at all in that process. it also has no artificial flavour.

it will make your **** bright green and you will love it. in the morning i have it in my shake, then i have a second serving just mixed into regular juice. like i said it will make both look nasty (and wit hthe juice you have to drink it fast or keep stirring it because it will settle to the bottom). with that routine (as well as trying to eat a fairly high protein diet otherwise as well) i managed to increase my strength by ~50% over four months. the fatty acids within the powder ensure highly efficient protein uptake, and it wont make you feel bloated or do anything to your skin the way some other supplements will for some people.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choate51 View Post
So i used to skate when I was a young lad but now i'm an out of shape 25 year old that wants to get back into hockey. I was never even a rec ice hokey player, more of the pond frozen go shoot the puck with the pals type.

Because of my location and lack of ice rinks in the area I have picked up a pair of rollerblades to get my balance back and to re-teach myself how to skate. The only problem is my lower back is killing me. I have been skating and going to the gym to drop some/lots of weight, my goal is to drop 50.

So what can I do to help strenthen the back and what other excersises I can do to help strenghten my skating skills and lose weight. I have so far droped 10 in the past 6 weeks but I need to focus more on skating excersises.

Thanks for all the direction and help guys.
Deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts.

They are the single most awesome exercise you can do for your back and core. It pretty much strengthens everything.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Choate51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
Deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts.

They are the single most awesome exercise you can do for your back and core. It pretty much strengthens everything.
I dont have much experience with deadlifts, where can i go to see proper form or technique? What is a good weight to start at? Dead lifts are one of the few things I have never been taught while in the gym. Any help would be great.

Choate51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 11:17 AM
YogiCanucks

Don't make the mistake of doing a lot strength training, and not much cardio. Strong but tired quickly. Now I do a lot of running. just randomly do 5 - 7 km's.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Skraut

Quote:
I dont have much experience with deadlifts, where can i go to see proper form or technique? What is a good weight to start at? Dead lifts are one of the few things I have never been taught while in the gym. Any help would be great.
The New Rules of Lifting http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/ (sroll down on the page past the women's stuff) is a great overall book and has a large section on the Deadlift. I actually did my Deadlifts on a Smith Machine to avoid bashing the weight into my shins and help with controlling the weight. I'd probably get a bit more out of it if my muscles had to work that much harder to control the weight more completely, but I'm using the weights to get in shape, not look like Atlas.

There's probably some other good resources on the net, but if you can pick up a copy of NROL, I highly recommend it, as it goes into depth as to WHY each exercise works, not just how to do it.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadli...per-technique/

With deadlifts, because your back is so heavily involved, start with small weights just to get technique down. It's much more valuable to have proper technique than worrying about lifting more than anyone in your gym.

The deadlift is widely regarded as the best compound movement you can do to strengthen your core, back and legs.

It's hard work but totally worth it.
As someone that pointed this out to me said, "there's very few times in your life where you'll have to move or lift something via benchpress movement. But how many times will you have to bend and lift a heavy or light object?"

Have you ever seen that movie "300"? The staple of their workout were deadlifts. They'd pick up tractor tires and flip them over and over. It builds crazy power, size and strength. Enjoy.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:56 PM
bunjay

doing deadlifts on the smith machine is great to start out, but that gives you little to no stabilizer workout. even if it is a smith machine with 2-way rails.

also, deadlifts will not work the rest of your core muscles nearly as well as doing ab and oblique specific exercises, and flipping tires is a much more complicated movement than deadlifting. more comparable to a snatch or clean-and-jerk. proper deadlifting technique targets the lower back as specifically as possible, and aint even in the same ballpark as squats for overall workout.

Last edited by bunjay: 07-24-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old
07-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The New Rules of Lifting http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/ (sroll down on the page past the women's stuff) is a great overall book and has a large section on the Deadlift. I actually did my Deadlifts on a Smith Machine to avoid bashing the weight into my shins and help with controlling the weight. I'd probably get a bit more out of it if my muscles had to work that much harder to control the weight more completely, but I'm using the weights to get in shape, not look like Atlas.

There's probably some other good resources on the net, but if you can pick up a copy of NROL, I highly recommend it, as it goes into depth as to WHY each exercise works, not just how to do it.
I've been meaning to get rent it at my library. I like Cosgrove, so I'm willing to bet his book is awesome. And I agree, Deadlifts are a great exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
here it is with the nutritional info:

http://www.hempseed.ca/hemp-protein-powder.ihtml
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
You took a scientific pasta eating survey in Montreal did you?

Awesome.

I eat very little bread and some rice once in a while in a vegetable stir fry with baked chicken. All the fattening stuff that goes into pasta dishes makes for the very high caloric intake.

I suppose if I just ate plain white boiled pasta in a bowl it wouldn't be too bad at 200 calories a cup.

I guess you missed this comment I made above.

I must admit though that I do miss a big huge plate of spaghetti and homemade meatballs regularly.

This being said however once a month I buy a large pepperoni pizza because I love pepperoni pizza. Just one ... once a month. I can do that and still be safe.
You're all over the place. I didn't miss that last part, you're basically saying you ate it like a pig. Is there no middle ground?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post

You're all over the place. I didn't miss that last part, you're basically saying you ate it like a pig. Is there no middle ground?
So are you like some kind of ********* or something?

Just curious.

I lost 40 lbs .... follow what I'm talking about. You're apparently using selective reading. According to you I should still be fat because I did it wrong and can eat all the pasta I want to. .... ah forget it.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 07-25-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:55 PM
vivianmb

to lose weight...
replace lunch with FRUIT.
replace all snacks with a protein shake(soy with skim milk).
no snacks after dinner.
and most importantly replace beer with rum.and no snacks after drinking.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
to lose weight...
replace lunch with FRUIT.
replace all snacks with a protein shake(soy with skim milk).
no snacks after dinner.
and most importantly replace beer with rum.and no snacks after drinking.
How much do those energy drinks usually run and any specific kind to get, or just energy drinks ?

I'm hungry all the time and usually need a lunch, or supper, so what would be big, but not too bad on the calories ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 09:41 AM
bunjay

burning calories is more important than counting them. if you are trying to lose fat then you obviously cut some fat from your diet. carbohydrates will not be stored as fat if you use the energy. protein will make you stronger if you are a) eating enough of it b) fatiguing your muscles consistently and c) getting enough sleep. 2 out of the 3 aint good enough.

if they were willing to put in the effort, everybody could be in much better shape without actually changing their diet at all.

Old
07-26-2009, 11:49 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
How much do those energy drinks usually run and any specific kind to get, or just energy drinks ?

I'm hungry all the time and usually need a lunch, or supper, so what would be big, but not too bad on the calories ?
I think the poster meant protein or meal-replacement shakes like Ensure, not energy drinks like Red Bull. Things like Boost and Ensure have the vitamins and minerals in them that you need. Energy drinks like Red Bull and Rock Star don't, they just have caffeine and stuff for energy. They're not meant to replace meals.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 02:46 PM
shveik

Quote:
Because of my location and lack of ice rinks in the area I have picked up a pair of rollerblades to get my balance back and to re-teach myself how to skate. The only problem is my lower back is killing me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's a natural but bad habit to bend the back. Keep working on bending the knees and using your back only for balance. I will often try to visualize myself with "chest up and out, hips forward, knees bent" when I get a chance to work on skating, since I'm always slipping to bad habits. But when you do practice for a while, you'll feel better balanced and be able to use your edges better and get more power and speed from your legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
When you rollerblade, watch that you're not skating with your butt out and your back swayed. Try to think of keeping your back flat- not flat as in parallel to the ground, but more like / rather than ). I find myself rollerblading like that sometimes, even though I don't do it on the ice, and it really does stress your lower back.
Regarding the skating posture, I have to confess I do tend to skate/rollerblade hunched over. But I am not convinced it's a detriment to skating, but it could be to hockey (harder to keep your head up). So I do not think the hunched over posture would be the sole source of your lower back pain, my back is just fine knock on wood. Not sure how much you remember from the skating days, but you might be doing the "headbob" when you skate, having your whole body rather than just the legs bend and straighten when you skate. That way your head would go up an down, and I can imagine can cause your lower back to hurt since you'd be doing a bow with every stride. Instead, your head, shoulders and waist should remain level, the same height off the ground through the stride, as if you were riding a bike or sitting on a chair.

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 03:47 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

For the record, a good forward lean is an important part of skating speed. As for actually getting in shape, cut out the junk food and get on the exercise bike and go to pub skate 3x a week. Eliminating junk food is not as hard as it seems, cut the sodas and such out, try to cut down on your bread and avoid excess carbs in general, eat more lean meats and less processed foods. The best way to get in better skater shape is to skate more. I've built up a lot of body strength from hockey, with only a moderate amount of off ice working out.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 06:56 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

for $25 at costco i get 2KGs of whey(not soy sorry) protein and i mix it with skim milk.it lasts me about 2-3 months. this plus the fruit have helped me trim off about 20 pounds since may. i only skate once a week in the summer so i need to watch what i eat.i have also replaced molson canadian beer (or about 12 of them on a friday and or saturday night) with rum and diet caff free coke. six of those and i'm gone.
i am also in construction which keeps me somewhat active, but it doesn't replace excersie LOL. in the winter i skate three times a week (or more) and that combined with work keeps me slimmer.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
for $25 at costco i get 2KGs of whey(not soy sorry) protein and i mix it with skim milk.it lasts me about 2-3 months. this plus the fruit have helped me trim off about 20 pounds since may. i only skate once a week in the summer so i need to watch what i eat.i have also replaced molson canadian beer (or about 12 of them on a friday and or saturday night) with rum and diet caff free coke. six of those and i'm gone.
i am also in construction which keeps me somewhat active, but it doesn't replace excersie LOL. in the winter i skate three times a week (or more) and that combined with work keeps me slimmer.
Rum low cal or something?

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When dieting (and I mean actual cutting calorie dieting, not just changing your diet), you need to incorporate some cheats. If you don't, you're going to break down and overeat and fall off the wagon. If the dude wants to eat a pizza by himself once a month, he's still better off doing that once as opposed to the starvation and binging at dinner most people do when dieting.

With kicking aspartame last week, I'm going to try going off my Lexapro meds. Seriously, I've gained 15 pounds in the last four months on the stuff, and that's with running three times a week, hockey once a week, and eventually P90X five days a week. On top of calorie counting, macronutrient planning, replacing two meals with salads, replacing two meals with protein shakes. Just cannot stop gaining weight.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll also give that hemp protein stuff a shot. I'm trying to cut out the artificial crap out of my diet, seems to make me feel like crap, and I do have a protein shake every morning.

Old
07-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Jerome

Cut the carbs, not the Fat

You need atleast 20% of your energy from the fat, give a chance to good fat like nuts so your testo don't drop.

Eat Protein, Veggies.

A great coach once said, if it don't run, swim or flying and it ain't green, don't eat it.

Green Veggies have a lot of fiber, lots of vitamin and about no sugar.

But all that is for people who's resistant to insulin so about 90% of the white population? haha

Deadlift is a must for lower back and hamstring! do 4 x 10 to start and you'll an impromvement in your skating power!

Good luck and if you want anymore info to be less resistant to insulin, just ask in pm so we won't put the thread out of the track

Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:38 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

HELP!?

Hey guys, I'm on a trip right now in the Mid east and it's really hot here so I thought I'd take advantage of that and start some weight loss.

weight loss training has been a success so far, I've lost upwards of 10 pounds through cardio in the heat in about 2 weeks.

However; since i have gotten here I have been on the paleo Diet, or the hunter gather's diet which consists of eating only fruits and vegetables along with lean meats cooked with no salts and eaten with no sauces (just like our ancestors had, apparently) and only consuming water as a beverage. This has proven successful in the weight loss factor, but I'm afraid of not getting enough Carbs in my body and it taking away from the muscle mass I have gained so far this year through weight training. I'm looking to continue this weight loss, but not at the cost of muscle mass, so should I continue doing what I'm doing or make refinements in my workout routine and diet? Routine has basically consisted of jogging 30 minutes a day and doing about 75 squats. Are their any meat centered diets I could try you guys have heard of?

I'm turning 16 in about 2 weeks, heading into grade 11, and I played Linebacker last season on the football team, but I'm hoping to fill a hole on our team at the saftey position next season but I need to be leaner. Plus theirs the whole self confidence factor.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you can find a way to do pull-ups, crunches, and push-ups, that'd be solid too. And lunges. But not all of them every day.

From what I've read, you can usually do an ultra low carb diet for a few weeks, but then it's a good idea to slowly re-introduce them.

Old
07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
bunjay

going into a calorie deficient diet to lose weight will put your body into starvation mode. which means the instant you start eating normally again, your body will put a much higher % of the energy consumed towards fat. you cannot avoid this with that kind of weight loss diet. this is why most people who diet gain the weight back, and extra. the other downside of this is that the fat replaces muscle. if you try to go calorie deficient while trying to gain muscle and strenght, im sorry, but you're doing it wrong.

calorie deficiency is really only appropriate for rapid, temporary weight loss aka cutting.

changing the makeup of your body sustainably is a long process. more protein and carbs, minimal fat, LOTS OF EXERCISE. fat is burned as energy only when you get your heart rate above a certain level fo a certain stretch of time. doing this while calorie deficient will also cause muscle mass to be cannibalized. if you want to be fit and stay fit you substitute as much as possible fat for carbs (which should be burned the same day they are consumed) and protein which not only makes yo ufeel full for longer because it takes longer to digest, but is required in large amounts to build good muscle. probably more than people think. a gram per pound of bodyweight per day is a good goal. and im not saying cut fat completely, even if you could do that it would be counterproductive. i mean cut out all unneccessary fat, especially trans and saturated. for getting and staying in shape a good ratio to try and follow is (% of total calories) 45% carbs, 35% protein, 20% fat. most people are closer to 50/20/30.

it will take longer, but you will be fit for life if you do it right. no ******** with losing the weight, then gaining it back, then gaining extra, then trying to lose it again. the cardio will gradually reduce your bodyfat % without 'slowing' your metabolism. and like i said before, you dont have to be totally ripped to be in really good shape. not everyone's body can be healthy and that low in bodyfat at the same time. if you want an example, look at Fedor Emelianenko. he looks like a chubby alcoholic but runs 5 miles every day, is strong as an ox, and has ridiculous speed/agility/reflex.

low carb diets are for people who want to lose the weight without doing the work. they are not effective.

Old
07-29-2009, 04:17 PM
190Octane

I was going to put something about the New Rules of Lifting book but someone beat me to it. Cardio is great and necessary for hockey but if you want to lose weight it is much better to lift weights and then do some HIIT after weight training.

I've been working out since January and gone from around 275 to around 220. I decided I wanted to try something new though to get in better shape for a possible hockey tournament in October so I read the book last week and started the workout plan yesterday. Even though I've been working out and playing hockey 3 nights a week for the better part of six months, the first workout in NROL has my legs burning today and I only spent half an hour or so at the gym. If you want to get in good shape for hockey get this book and do some uphill sprints and you will be in great condition.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote