HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player Inquiry Thread (ALL other player-related threads will be deleted)

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Bills09

vCash: 500
Whats the run down on Jonas Ahnelov, when is he expected to play for the big club and what can I expect.

Old
07-20-2009, 01:35 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
Whats the run down on Jonas Ahnelov, when is he expected to play for the big club and what can I expect.
He actually made the team out of camp last season, but got injured. He had a decent season in the AHL, but was injured again. I think most of us see him in the AHL this season barring him having a camp that blows the coaching staff away. The competition on the blueline is just that much tougher this season and with already have seven defensemen and one Hale on one way contracts it's just going to be very tough for him to make it this season. Next year is more likely with Hale and Aucoin (And, possibly Michalek too but I really don't want to think about that.) out the door.

As for what you can expect. Jonas is a big shutdown defenseman. Extremely solid defensively and very physical. Actually his second injury was from a fight. He's a no frills unflashy shutdown defenseman, don't expect a whole lot of offense.

Old
07-20-2009, 02:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManicRanger View Post
i think Rozsival would have to be in the deal for it to work for the Rangers cap. Rozy wouldn't fully replace Jovo, but he puts up solid numbers. The Rangers wouldnt be willing to lose a big prospect for him, maybe a Corey Potter or Michael Sauer?
The Coyotes' prospect pool is just STACKED. Middling prospects are not worth a downgrade on the NHL squad. We've been too bad for too long for that to make sense.

Old
07-20-2009, 12:49 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
The competition on the blueline is just that much tougher this season and with already have seven defensemen and one Hale on one way contracts

Well played.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

don maloney on nhl network classic games with the rangers against the habs. JD just gave up a terrible goal to j lemaire from the blue line.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
wings5

Jonas Ahnelov

I'm a real fan of how this player has developed. When he was drafted and skated inthe world juniors I thought he was a a career minor leaguer or Sweden div 2 player for his career. I used to group him in a group with Daniel Rahimi, Partri Hersley, Alexander Hellstrom, Niclas Andersson and Nicklas Hjalmarsson as Swedes who were stricly defensive defenceman and too slow to make the NHL. It's a good thing I'm not a scout because I went 2 for 7, Hjalmarsson and Ahnelov have really come along and are showing the offensive part of their game. Both imo have potential to be top 4 defenceman the question is whether that time is next year for Ahnelov?

Old
07-22-2009, 12:20 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I'm a real fan of how this player has developed. When he was drafted and skated inthe world juniors I thought he was a a career minor leaguer or Sweden div 2 player for his career. I used to group him in a group with Daniel Rahimi, Partri Hersley, Alexander Hellstrom, Niclas Andersson and Nicklas Hjalmarsson as Swedes who were stricly defensive defenceman and too slow to make the NHL. It's a good thing I'm not a scout because I went 2 for 7, Hjalmarsson and Ahnelov have really come along and are showing the offensive part of their game. Both imo have potential to be top 4 defenceman the question is whether that time is next year for Ahnelov?
Probably not.

Clearing out Hale doesn't mean a whole lot, we still have seven defensemen on one way contracts. He'd have to perform leaps and bounds better than he did at camp last season and he technically made the team last season.

Old
07-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Kaizen

Prolly another year in SA but if injuries hit he'll be one of the first call-ups.

Old
07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManicRanger View Post
i wonder what kind of trade package it would take to bring Jovo to New York?
Depending on the arbitration case I would guess something centered around Zherdev. Phoenix would either be getting a D Man back to counter the salary cap hit and/or Phoenix would take the cap space generated to sign Morris to a 2-3 year deal.

Old
07-22-2009, 10:01 PM
avco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Depending on the arbitration case I would guess something centered around Zherdev. Phoenix would either be getting a D Man back to counter the salary cap hit and/or Phoenix would take the cap space generated to sign Morris to a 2-3 year deal.
If the Rangers decide to keep Zherdev, does anyone think that Brandon Dubinsky C would be available; especially given that there appears to be contract problems between him and Sather?

Old
07-22-2009, 10:43 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by avco View Post
If the Rangers decide to keep Zherdev, does anyone think that Brandon Dubinsky C would be available; especially given that there appears to be contract problems between him and Sather?
I think Zherdev will go before Dubinsky. His 0 points in 7 playoff games coupled with some heavy contract demands have Sather prepared to walk away if the arbitrator doesn't sharpen his pencil enough.

Old
07-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

How is Viktor Tikhonov looking? What's his potential?

Is it safe to assume he'll be a top 6 forward in the future with 70 point upside?

Old
07-23-2009, 02:17 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
How is Viktor Tikhonov looking? What's his potential?

Is it safe to assume he'll be a top 6 forward in the future with 70 point upside?
I don't know if it's EVER safe to ASSUME 70 point upside, for ANY player. I doubt he ever hits 70. 50 accompanied by exceptional defensive play would be amazing, and probably more realistic. 70+ points makes him a top thirty scorer in the entire NHL. I don't think even guys like Kane and Toews have hit 70 yet.

Old
07-23-2009, 05:02 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't think even guys like Kane and Toews have hit 70 yet.
You're really going to post that without looking it up? Kane's two seasons are 72 and 70 and Toews' is 54 and 69 (basically 70). Come on, I expect more from you.

Old
07-23-2009, 05:56 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
You're really going to post that without looking it up? Kane's two seasons are 72 and 70 and Toews' is 54 and 69 (basically 70). Come on, I expect more from you.
Look at the time of the post: he was probably well into the 3rd sixer by then and didn't give a ****.

Old
07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

He does have 2nd line potential though, am I correct?

Old
07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
That remains to be seen...at this point I would say no.

Old
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Look at the time of the post: he was probably well into the 3rd sixer by then and didn't give a ****.
I had drank exactly twelve beers, and I did qualify the statement with a "I don't think even guys like"

Either way, now that I'm sober, I still don't see seventy point upside for Tikhonov. We should all be more than happy with fifty and great D.

Old
07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I believe so.

Old
07-23-2009, 03:02 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Excellent point, and I was just giving him a hard time anyway.

Old
07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Excellent point, and I was just giving him a hard time anyway.
As was I.

Old
07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I had drank exactly twelve beers, and I did qualify the statement with a "I don't think even guys like"

Either way, now that I'm sober, I still don't see seventy point upside for Tikhonov. We should all be more than happy with fifty and great D.
If he develops into a 50-point two-way forward I'll be ecstatic! I always thought he projected to a 30, maybe 40 tops points guy.

Old
07-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Bruwinz37

Derek Morris Evaluation

Guys- just looking for some thoughts on Morris. I remember reading from some of you folks around last year's deadline that Morris had really escalated his defensive game but it came a bit of an expense as it related to his offensive #'s.

As you probably know the B's just signed him to a one year deal. Any and all comments appreciated. Has he lost a step, toughness, PP and PK ability....thanks in advance.

Old
07-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Guys- just looking for some thoughts on Morris. I remember reading from some of you folks around last year's deadline that Morris had really escalated his defensive game but it came a bit of an expense as it related to his offensive #'s.

As you probably know the B's just signed him to a one year deal. Any and all comments appreciated. Has he lost a step, toughness, PP and PK ability....thanks in advance.
I like D Morris alot and was holding out hope he would come back to the Coyotes. At 3.3 that was doable but I guess signing Aucoin for 2.2 sealed his fate.

Old
07-25-2009, 02:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post

Shut-down D, with excellent puck moving skills. Usually makes the safe play and won't provide a lot of offense. Excellent team leader and mentor for younger players. Strong and tough, good at holding both bluelines lines. Simple, effective game, that's really based around his ability to make the smart defensive play, and to get the puck out of his own zone, up the ice, to a forward. That sort of thing is underrated by fans. Not by GMs, clearly, as he's just signed maybe his third 3M+ contract in a row, now. He's effective at what he does and what he does is valuable. Don't expect him to score a lot of goals or quarterback your power play, though. That's not his strength, and you'll be dissappointed if you do. He's a very skilled puck-moving defenseman, but that does not mean that he's a puck rushing, or offensive defenseman. His outlet passing is top notch, not just with regards to clearing the zone, but his ability to hit a forward, up the ice, and create a rush. This is highly valued in the new NHL. He's a solid player and we all liked him a lot during his years as a Coyote.

Closed Thread