HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zajac's contract is a barometer for Dubinsky's contract

Old
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Salz

vCash: 500
If Dubinsky gets 60 points like Zajac did, he'll get Zajac money. Right now, the first two years of their careers were similar. Zajac took the next step Year 3. This is a very critical year for Dubinsky.

Zajac- 42, 34, 62

Dubinsky- 40, 41, ???

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:40 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
A 3 year deal would be clutch, taking us to the ends of Drury and Kotalik's contracts. Hopefully Slats can make it happen....
2 year just like Cally and negotiate an extension as an RFA sign one for too long and he's a UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Could Sather be waiting until after Zherdev's arbitration to see what he's got to work with?
Very good possibility. Keep as many options open for as long as you can. The hand was forced with Callahan's arbitration filing which the team promptly responded appropriately.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:43 PM
gardenfaithful44

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I think the Dubinsky situation will carry on into mid-august. If the Rangers lose their arbitration with Zherdev it would be stupid not to resign him and let him walk. He has value. Once the Zherdev deal is finalized I'm sure a trade will be in the works and then Dubinsky will be signed shortly after.

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
This is exactly what I'm thinking. I think the Dubinsky situation will carry on into mid-august. If the Rangers lose their arbitration with Zherdev it would be stupid not to resign him and let him walk. He has value. Once the Zherdev deal is finalized I'm sure a trade will be in the works and then Dubinsky will be signed shortly after.
Not sure why - you can go over the cap by 10% in the offseason. If you can get Dubi signed up to the appropriate deal, you do it and deal with the Zherdev deal as its own, independent problem.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
If Dubinsky gets 60 points like Zajac did, he'll get Zajac money. Right now, the first two years of their careers were similar. Zajac took the next step Year 3. This is a very critical year for Dubinsky.

Zajac- 42, 34, 62

Dubinsky- 40, 41, ???
If the cap goes down by a substantial amount next year, he may not be able to get as much.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:15 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post

Zajac- 42, 34, 62

Dubinsky- 40, 41, ???
Zherdev- 32, 61, 58

Why the ceiling on Z? Z deserves anywhere from $3.5mm - $4.25 based on his production alone, not intangibles. Dubi needs to get what he can now. Who's to say that the Rangers don't go out and acquire a 1st line center and he gets relegated to the 2nd line or forced to play the wing (doubtful I admit).

If he was, supposedly, too valuable to include in a Heatley trade this is a curious strategy.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Zherdev- 34, 54, 32, 61, 58
fixed. i think it's misleading to only post his last three seasons. Zherdev got to play with Nash. Maybe he just needs to play with a more 'european' player to truly excel but seriously, if you can't step up playing with Nash, that is a big hit on your credibility as a player. Z does not make other players better but has the ability and skill to ride high with a player who does. + given what Zajac got, I can't see Zherdev getting more than the $3.888M mark.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:54 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Zherdev- 32, 61, 58

Why the ceiling on Z? Z deserves anywhere from $3.5mm - $4.25 based on his production alone, not intangibles.
It's the intangibles that should hurt Z, not help.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 04:07 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
fixed. i think it's misleading to only post his last three seasons. Zherdev got to play with Nash. Maybe he just needs to play with a more 'european' player to truly excel but seriously, if you can't step up playing with Nash, that is a big hit on your credibility as a player. Z does not make other players better but has the ability and skill to ride high with a player who does. + given what Zajac got, I can't see Zherdev getting more than the $3.888M mark.
Thanks. I used the final 3 years to make a better comparison since that was the time frame used for Dubi and Zajac. Sorry for the confusion. btw - I don't believe Z played all that much with Nash. IMO, I believe Z is an excellent playmaker. His passing skills are off the charts, but I think he needs more than one season (with the Rangers) with compatible players before we can say he can't make others better. After all, how many players are there that make others better?

I agree that Z can be maddening, but I think he's being unfairly labelled. People who don't watch the BJ's regularly make all kinds of comments about Z based not on what they saw, but what they read (HF BJ boards). Give the kids 2-3 years to get acclimated and comfortable, then bash him if he doesn't improve. I'll be the first on line.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 07-23-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added with the Rangers, do not include his stint with the BJ's
Old
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
It's the intangibles that should hurt Z, not help.
100% agree. But I don't know how people measure intangibles. That's all subjective. I've made some post discussing the valuation of intangibles to assess value of less talented players. Are Captain Nyquil's intangible worth $3.050mm million more than Z's assumed $4mm value (my assessed valuation)? I'm sure you put a player with Z's talent on the loaded AVS team he'd have a couple of Cups on his resume.

I only bring Drury into the discussion because I feel that intagibles are not measureable. Yet suppossed lack of these intangibles are the basis for trashing a less "likeable" player.