HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect #7

View Poll Results: Who's the 7th best Ranger prospect?
Ethan Werek 3 1.99%
Ryan Bourque 4 2.65%
Chris Kreider 54 35.76%
Tomas Kundratek 2 1.32%
Matt Gilroy 80 52.98%
Michael Sauer 8 5.30%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

vCash: 500
Kreider's upside is slightly better than Gilroy's NHL "readiness," at least to me. Add Boyle.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Sure but he did it as a 24/25 year old in an absurdly weak year for college hockey / college hockey talent.
No matter how easy the college year was, there were still hundreds of talented kids there and being #1 is still something. Let's say in a much better year, he'd be #2 or #3. So what? That's still amazing.

It's true that he was 24 (he still didn't turn 25), but again, either you have talent or you don't. 99% of college kids would never win the HB if they stayed in school until they were 30.

Granted that he'd be a tremendous talent if he won the HB at 20 rather than 24, but being #1 means a lot anyway.

And according to most scouts, he's much better than most HB winners.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Gilroy, add Kveton.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Garfinkel1

I've never seen Gilroy play so I dont know.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

All I'm saying is that over the last 4 years I've seen Gilroy play between 15 and 20 times and I just don't see the consistent ability to warrant the hype. His defensive play is spotty at best and he doesn't have an NHL-caliber shot. One play (though admittedly a great play) in the NC game sent his stock through the rafters.

And it's not like winning the Hobey is some key sign of future success - look at the past winners. While some certainly panned out, many others didn't and the fact remains he won the award as an extreme over-ager in a weak year. If he was competing last year against Duncan, Oshie, Gerbe, Jones, Porter, etc. he would have been lucky to be selected as a finalist. Here's to hoping he proves me wrong, but I wouldn't put money on it.

07-23-2009, 08:05 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

nyr2k2

Exactly, right now we know Byers can play in the show. I can't say that about anyone that is left.
other than Sauer

Last edited by N9Y4R: 07-23-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Sauer
N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
All I'm saying is that over the last 4 years I've seen Gilroy play between 15 and 20 times and I just don't see the consistent ability to warrant the hype. His defensive play is spotty at best and he doesn't have an NHL-caliber shot. One play (though admittedly a great play) in the NC game sent his stock through the rafters.

And it's not like winning the Hobey is some key sign of future success - look at the past winners. While some certainly panned out, many others didn't and the fact remains he won the award as an extreme over-ager in a weak year. If he was competing last year against Duncan, Oshie, Gerbe, Jones, Porter, etc. he would have been lucky to be selected as a finalist. Here's to hoping he proves me wrong, but I wouldn't put money on it.
That's not really true. Gilroy made a name for himself as a desirable signing well before the championship game.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:15 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:

And would you like to tell me the success rate for 19th overall picks?

Since 1999 the 19th overall picks have been Krys Kolanos, Shaone Morrison, Jakub Koreis, Ryan Getzlaf, Lauri Korpikoski, and Kirrill Safronov. That's hardly better than the list of HB winners.

Of course there is huge bust potential for Gilroy. That's why he has dropped to this spot. Kreider is FAR from a sure thing himself.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think at this point, it's a close call between Gilroy and Kreider. I would assume that NYR scouts saw much more than the NC game before giving him such a large contract. I would say that alone earns him a spot in our top 7-8.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Gilroy, add Byers.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2
That's not really true. Gilroy made a name for himself as a desirable signing well before the championship game.
I don't disagree with that, but (at least what I can surmise from following the boards) the NC game elevated his stock from "nice signing" to "OMG must have". I'm not a pro scout and have no connections to any so I can't comment on the opinion of the scouting community, just the opinions of fans and writers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
And would you like to tell me the success rate for 19th overall picks?

Since 1999 the 19th overall picks have been Krys Kolanos, Shaone Morrison, Jakub Koreis, Ryan Getzlaf, Lauri Korpikoski, and Kirrill Safronov. That's hardly better than the list of HB winners.

Of course there is huge bust potential for Gilroy. That's why he has dropped to this spot. Kreider is FAR from a sure thing himself.
I never said Kreider was a sure thing, just that in my opinion his upside is dramatically higher than Gilroy's especially in light of the fact that from what I've seen of Gilroy he isn't even very likely to reach his. It's my opinion and until a few years pass none of us will know anything about these kids for sure.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:29 PM
asparkoflife

Gilroy. Add byers

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:32 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
I don't disagree with that, but (at least what I can surmise from following the boards) the NC game elevated his stock from "nice signing" to "OMG must have". I'm not a pro scout and have no connections to any so I can't comment on the opinion of the scouting community, just the opinions of fans and writers.

I never said Kreider was a sure thing, just that in my opinion his upside is dramatically higher than Gilroy's especially in light of the fact that from what I've seen of Gilroy he isn't even very likely to reach his. It's my opinion and until a few years pass none of us will know anything about these kids for sure.
I didn't infer that you think Kreider is a sure thing, but I was just showing that your whole "majority of Hobey Baker winners became nothing" argument is irrelevant because the remaining prospects have just as much, if not more, bust potential. Sure, Gilroy could easily bust, but unless the rivaling prospects are safer bets then the point is irrelevant.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 09:08 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Gilroy.

Add Hagelin.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Kreider's upside is slightly better than Gilroy's NHL "readiness," at least to me. Add Boyle.
Aha! I have a convert.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 09:57 PM
bmoak

Kreider. Add Heikinnen.

BTW: Boyle no longer qualifies as a prospect under HF eligibility rules

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Doyle

Voted Kreider, Add Doyle.

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
eco's bones

Kreider. Add Byers.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
BTW: Boyle no longer qualifies as a prospect under HF eligibility rules
That's interesting. If that were the case, I wouldn't vote for him and would sub in either Hagelin or Kveton. However, if you go to the Rangers page on HF (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/new_york_rangers) I see him listed as a center prospect. Therefore, I continue to vote for him. Can someone please provide a definitive ruling on this?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:15 PM
LyNX27

Gilroy add Valentenko

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Jxmarts

We are overrating Gilroy. It just doesn't happen that late bloomers from college develop into top prospects.

College players who make it to the NHL almost always make their mark as freshmen, or rarely sophomores -- that is, at 18 or 19 years old. As juniors & seniors at 20 & 21 years old, some players that did not stand out as younger players mature and begin to dominate. These "late bloomers" often put up great stats, but they almost never make it to the NHL. It's very common with Tomas Pock as a typical example. Sometimes they even win Hobey Baker awards, but those late bloomers almost always wind up as no more than career minor leaguers.

Not only was Gilroy such a late bloomer, but he was 3 years older than your typical college senior. He excelled playing against players much younger than himself, and at a substantially lower level than even minor or european pro. Yes, I know about his late growth spurt and the fact he switched positions. And I'll give him all the credit in the world for his accomplishments as an amateur. I'll root for him, but if you've followed college hockey at all, you'd know he's a longshot to make in the NHL. It would be an extremely rare occurrance.

But then, our Ranger prospects are special.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Boyle is still eligible as a prospect according to HF's rules. even though he is 24, soon to be 25, hes only 2 years into his Entry Level Contract. According to HF's rules an NCAA player over the age of 22 that signs with his first NHL Contract, has 3 years before he is deemed not a prospect anymore. as in Boyle is entering his third season of his first contract, and he is still a Prospect.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:34 PM
clmetsfan

Kreider, add Williams

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:50 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Kreider, add Williams

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:52 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Gilroy's salary combined with the fact that he'll probably show some need to improve defensively in camp really makes me feel that he won't make the team this year

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote