HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Would YOU sign Morris?

View Poll Results: Would YOU get Derek Morris?
I agree, having the BEST d-men in the league is what wins championships. 11 23.91%
No, we need a forward to replace Knuble and Lupul 14 30.43%
No, we need that 3rd line center. Faceoffs and size. We can not get this at the dead line. 21 45.65%
Emery and Boucher going to be just fine, the cup is ours. 4 8.70%
I have faith in Jones. We can get Morris type of player at the dead line. 4 8.70%
I like Carle or we wont be able to trade Carle. 12 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2009, 11:51 AM
  #1
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Would YOU sign Morris?

Of course hypothetically speaking. Assuming our roster is set and ready to go.

If we drop (waive) Jones and who knows if we unload Carle during the season or in the end of the season to get that 3rd line center with size for a playoff push.

Derek Morris
Espn.com his shots, block shots, hits, everything.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statis...9&seasontype=2
TSN.ca stats
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=133

My opinion on this d-men.
Build like a tank, 6’0 220lbs, excellent skater, very good lateral movement imo, heavy hitter, booming right hand shot from the point, not bad on D very strong and aggressive along the blueline, can and will fight, can PK, pain in the ass to play against, good in all situations decent top 4, obviously I like him. Cut down on his penalty minutes. Could be going for a discount, what Jones makes or even less. Seems like a good Flyer type of player.

Not a bad investment because player like that always has value and can always be traded if cap goes down next year.

Main reason why I create this poll is because of our goaltending. I am not sold on it and another solid d-men can only help. I also think we are a playoff team with out that 3rd line center D win championships. Right?
2nd reason why I create this poll because Stevens suck at coaching D.

It seems like we could use that 3rd line center everyone craving but as of now Flyers have 4-5 centers. Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux and Powe who knows maybe one Phantom could do the job too.

PLEASE ONLY CHOOSE ONLY 2 OPTIONS. NO MORE THEN 2. Thank you!!!

FlyersJunky... you can choose more then one in this one lol.

Timonen Coburn
Pronger Morris
Parent (worm body)

Write a few words when you vote. What did you vote and why.


Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-24-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 11:55 AM
  #2
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Dont think we can with the cap now....However, I would much rather have him than Carle.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 11:57 AM
  #3
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
I don't see Carle be moved less than a year after he was acquired. Holmgren effectively traded two 1st's for him. Trading him would be suicide. Besides...I don't see a market for him.

Just say no to Morris.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:00 PM
  #4
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I don't see Carle be moved less than a year after he was acquired. Holmgren effectively traded two 1st's for him. Trading him would be suicide. Besides...I don't see a market for him.

Just say no to Morris.
I agree, I dont have faith in Homer to make any of the right moves these days to be honest....but that is beside the point.

Still doesnt change the fact that I rather have Morris

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:02 PM
  #5
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I agree, I dont have faith in Homer to make any of the right moves these days to be honest....but that is beside the point.

Still doesnt change the fact that I rather have Morris
Fair enough, understandable.

However, just because 75% of the Flyers board at HF thinks the team 'needs' a center, doesn't mean that the suits running the Flyers do.

I'd rather a top 6 winger than a 3rd line center...but maybe I'm alone in that thinking.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:09 PM
  #6
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,429
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Fair enough, understandable.

However, just because 75% of the Flyers board at HF thinks the team 'needs' a center, doesn't mean that the suits running the Flyers do.

I'd rather a top 6 winger than a 3rd line center...but maybe I'm alone in that thinking.
That's all well and good, but problems arise when those 75% are the ones who are right and the Flyers are wrong, as we saw last season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:13 PM
  #7
Lab Monkey
Registered User
 
Lab Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
i would LOVE to have Morris on the team, however with that said i dont think we can get away with picking him up and making all the moves necessary to fit him in without getting ripped off in trades

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
  #8
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That's all well and good, but problems arise when those 75% are the ones who are right and the Flyers are wrong, as we saw last season.
As if it's that cut and dry.

You're basically suggesting we're dumping Carle for Malhotra away from winning the Stanley Cup?

If I recall, there were some that pretty pissed off when Holmgren let Biron walk and signed Emery. That was...until that deal led to the acquisition of Pronger.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
  #9
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,429
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
As if it's that cut and dry.

You're basically suggesting we're dumping Carle for Malhotra away from winning the Stanley Cup?

If I recall, there were some that pretty pissed off when Holmgren let Biron walk and signed Emery. That was...until that deal led to the acquisition of Pronger.
We're a strong defensive forward with faceoff skills, and a solid third-pair defenseman away from winning the Stanley Cup. You say that Holmgren essentially traded 2 first round picks for Carle, he traded 4 for Pronger. If so much as waiving Carle and sending him to the minors (or losing him) sets Holmgren up to make a move/signing to put us over the top, rest assured, he will do that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
  #10
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Just so you all know . . .Morris made $3.9 million last year. Him taking a pay cut could STILL be more than Carle.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
  #11
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We're a strong defensive forward with faceoff skills, and a solid third-pair defenseman away from winning the Stanley Cup. You say that Holmgren essentially traded 2 first round picks for Carle, he traded 4 for Pronger. If so much as waiving Carle and sending him to the minors (or losing him) sets Holmgren up to make a move/signing to put us over the top, rest assured, he will do that.
So you want to get fleeced in moving Carle (plus a pick) only to bring in Morris, who will be payed similar money but can't play top 4 minutes with the same upside?

I don't understand what sense that makes.

I'm confident that Pronger will make Carle a much better player, and I'd like to see him stay. It should also be noted that I am not a big Carle by any stretch.

As 75% of the board would like Parent with Pronger in the top 4, why do we need Morris as the 5th, 6th...for that kind of money?

This team needs a top 6 winger way before a 3rd pairing defenseman.

If you want that faceoff guy, fine, I could see that.


...but Morris???

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
  #12
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Just so you all know . . .Morris made $3.9 million last year. Him taking a pay cut could STILL be more than Carle.
He scored 20pts last season, 25 in 07-08, 25 in 06-07 and 27 on 05-07.

I do not see point you are trying to make.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
  #13
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
I guess I'm one of the few, but I like Carle. He got the shaft in San Jose after his outstanding rookie year and his confidence took a pounding before coming to Philadelphia. What he did to deserve the poor treatment in San Jose by Ron Wilson, we'll never know. But he was given an extremely short leash and when he failed as a number one, he was shipped to Tampa Bay as punishment.

I, for one, think he's going to rebound huge this upcoming season. He started turning it around last year and I really do think he's going to have a big year for the Flyers. The key though will be pairing him with Timonen so that Kimmo can help fine tune his game. Coburn should be paired with Pronger so that Pronger's meanness/dirty streak wears off a bit on Braydon.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:32 PM
  #14
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
He scored 20pts last season, 25 in 07-08, 25 in 06-07 and 27 on 05-07.
So you think it's worth it to move Carle and bring in Morris at 3M (?) to play the 3rd pairing???

Quote:
I do not see point you are trying to make.
Point - why move one bad salary, only to bring in another.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:33 PM
  #15
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,686
vCash: 50
how about NO.
Morris is highly overrated. I am so glad we didnt trade for this guy at the deadline.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:33 PM
  #16
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
He scored 20pts last season, 25 in 07-08, 25 in 06-07 and 27 on 05-07.

I do not see point you are trying to make.
Just saying . . . everyone is worried about cap space. You are going to sign a guy who is MUCH older, with less offensive upside to a contract that could be MORE than what Carle is making and have him on your 3rd pairing.

It just doesn't make much sense to me.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:38 PM
  #17
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Fair enough, understandable.

However, just because 75% of the Flyers board at HF thinks the team 'needs' a center, doesn't mean that the suits running the Flyers do.

I'd rather a top 6 winger than a 3rd line center...but maybe I'm alone in that thinking.
I rather put Giroux and Briere in the top 6 and have a shut-down third line and not waste Richards and Carter against guys like Malking and Ovechkin....We can agree to disagree....

A top 6 of

Hartnell Carter Briere
Gagne Richards Giroux

or some combination of that may be the best in the league!

Besides, we were talking about a Dman here in Morris, not a center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
As if it's that cut and dry.

You're basically suggesting we're dumping Carle for Malhotra away from winning the Stanley Cup?

If I recall, there were some that pretty pissed off when Holmgren let Biron walk and signed Emery. That was...until that deal led to the acquisition of Pronger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We're a strong defensive forward with faceoff skills, and a solid third-pair defenseman away from winning the Stanley Cup. You say that Holmgren essentially traded 2 first round picks for Carle, he traded 4 for Pronger. If so much as waiving Carle and sending him to the minors (or losing him) sets Holmgren up to make a move/signing to put us over the top, rest assured, he will do that.

I agree with GKJ....I believe we are a Malhotra "type" away from being a team competing for the cup, assuming Emery is at least as good as Biron that is....We have to wait and see on him.

A top 4 of Coburn/Timonen Pronger/Parent is more than capable of competing....just fill in the bottom pairing with cheap guys that wont kill you....Basically the Red Wing theory, how has that worked out for them???

Also, one thing almost all the cup winners have in common is that very good defensive center that can win faceoffs and play agaisnt the other team's top offensive players.....Pittsburgh - Staal, Detroit - Draper/Flip, Anaheim - Pahlsson, Carolina - Brind'amour, TB - Taylor and Andreychuk (who was taking a good bit of faceoffs at the time)

The closest thing to that we have is Richards, but why waste our top offensive center or a young guy like Giroux in that role???

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
  #18
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I guess I'm one of the few, but I like Carle. He got the shaft in San Jose after his outstanding rookie year and his confidence took a pounding before coming to Philadelphia. What he did to deserve the poor treatment in San Jose by Ron Wilson, we'll never know. But he was given an extremely short leash and when he failed as a number one, he was shipped to Tampa Bay as punishment.

I, for one, think he's going to rebound huge this upcoming season. He started turning it around last year and I really do think he's going to have a big year for the Flyers. The key though will be pairing him with Timonen so that Kimmo can help fine tune his game. Coburn should be paired with Pronger so that Pronger's meanness/dirty streak wears off a bit on Braydon.
He may have a big year, that isnt the issue....the issue is that we have too much money spent on the defense and are going with the "lets throw crap up against the wall and see what sticks mentality for the forwards"

If there was no cap I would say Hooray for Carle!!!!

Besides, he most likely has to be moved next year anyway so we can re-sign Coburn and Parent

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
  #19
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Ok . . . I'm going to put this in words that show just HOW dumb this argument is and people can hopefully realize the ignorance in their comments.

So apparently the Flyers are a 12-15 minute 3rd line center who wins 50+% of his face-offs and puts up 30 points AND a 31 year old Defensive D-man getting paid $3.5+ million and playing 3rd pairing minutes and putting up 20+ points away from winning the Stanley Cup all the while dumping 2 Defensemen who can put up a combined 50+ points for nothing in return except AHLers and draft picks. This is after the Flyers dropped 80+ points between a 1st line RW and a 2nd line RW and have yet to add someone who can aid in that department except for possibly two players who have yet to play an NHL game.

This is the basic summary of the main events of the offseason and what "75%" of the board are saying we need to win a cup. I'm hoping a couple of you finally realize what you are saying and seeing that you probably don't truly understand the needs of the Flyers.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
  #20
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,946
vCash: 955
I would not sign Morris. Morris can't be signed unless a roster defenseman is moved. Since that is unlikely, adding Morris isn't really an option.

The Flyers have their six defensemen for the 09/10 season, barring injury.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
  #21
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
If he replaced Jones, sure

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:55 PM
  #22
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I rather put Giroux and Briere in the top 6 and have a shut-down third line and not waste Richards and Carter against guys like Malking and Ovechkin....We can agree to disagree....

A top 6 of

Hartnell Carter Briere
Gagne Richards Giroux

or some combination of that may be the best in the league!

Besides, we were talking about a Dman here in Morris, not a center






I agree with GKJ....I believe we are a Malhotra "type" away from being a team competing for the cup, assuming Emery is at least as good as Biron that is....We have to wait and see on him.

A top 4 of Coburn/Timonen Pronger/Parent is more than capable of competing....just fill in the bottom pairing with cheap guys that wont kill you....Basically the Red Wing theory, how has that worked out for them???

Also, one thing almost all the cup winners have in common is that very good defensive center that can win faceoffs and play agaisnt the other team's top offensive players.....Pittsburgh - Staal, Detroit - Draper/Flip, Anaheim - Pahlsson, Carolina - Brind'amour, TB - Taylor and Andreychuk (who was taking a good bit of faceoffs at the time)

The closest thing to that we have is Richards, but why waste our top offensive center or a young guy like Giroux in that role???
You keep mentioning Malhotra, Mike. However, no other team but Atlanta has offered the guy a contract. As well, Columbus was more than content to let him walk, and he's a Hitchcock kind of player, should send red flags right there. Something is not right that this third line centerman hasn't been signed yet. These are the kinds of players who usually get snapped up in the first couple of days of free agency. There's something wrong with the whole Malhotra situation.

As for some of the guys you've mentioned as checkers, in the cases of Staal and Filppula, they're only in the checking roles simply because of the depth that's ahead of them. With that being said, they still generate offense to the tune of 40 to 50 points a season. Brind'Amour, Draper, Taylor and Andreychuk are/were used in their third line roles simply because Father Time has/had caught up with them. Nothing wrong with that, it happens. The only one who has produced less than Malhotra has been Pahlsson, but he was always expected to be a good defensive player with very little on the offensive side.

Fact of the matter though is that with the way the game is being played now, everyone on the team has to be half decent two way players. So, if by lining up Gagne - Richards - whoever against Crosby is the way to go, then so be it. That line is still good enough that not only can they cover their defensive assignments, but they're also fast enough to recover to generate an offensive rush.

If there's anything this team needs, it needs everyone on the ice to give a full and consistent effort for the entire 60 minutes. I know the popular thing here is to blame Stevens for that, but at some point, the players on the ice have to be held accountable as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
  #23
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Rumor is Malhotra isnt liked in locker rooms.

I would rather 1 year deal on Peca or Sillinger or someone

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:59 PM
  #24
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I rather put Giroux and Briere in the top 6 and have a shut-down third line and not waste Richards and Carter against guys like Malking and Ovechkin....We can agree to disagree....

A top 6 of

Hartnell Carter Briere
Gagne Richards Giroux

or some combination of that may be the best in the league!

Besides, we were talking about a Dman here in Morris, not a center
Just because you're getting a 3rd line center (Malhotra?), doesn't make the 3rd line a formidable shut-down line. Granted he's decent on the draw, but do the other two guys playing with him not play a factor?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
If he replaced Jones, sure
Morris makes WAY more than Jones...how can you say that?

This thread ****ing insane. All of last season, people complained that Jones needs to go because he makes WAY TOO MONEY to play the 3rd pairing...now we're going to get a guy that makes more than Jones???

Jesus christ on a cracker batman.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:05 PM
  #25
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Nope

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.