HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Very sore feet after skating

Old
07-24-2009, 01:28 AM
LyNX27

vCash: 500
This actually should happen and figure skaters and hockey players alike have this problem but not to worry. Not to say the pain is good but maybe be a little loser, but this is part of a system of training that your feet will go through similar to kickboxers when they practice kicking. See what they are doing is over time killing the tips of the nerve endings in their feet and causing the bone in there to calcify and become harder. Everyone goes through this at some point and acknowledges that after a while the pain goes away, but like many others have said, check your fitting and make sure your wearing some decent socks.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Pierre Gotye

Your skates shouldn't bother you that much, even if new. Skate-break in does take about 40 hours or so. You shouldn't bake skates right off the bat you should wait several hours before you do it.

My guess is you have one of two problems:

1)Wrong skate size. You might have a skate too small for your foot. Kepp in mind skate size, is different from shoe size.

2)Wrong skate type. Here's where it gets tricky, everyone has a different foot type...high arch/low arch, more pronation, less...etc. Most manufacturers make skates for different foot types. You might have the wrong skate type for the shape of your foot.

Let me ask, did you buy the skate on your own? It's usually best to buy a skate from a legitimate hockey shop with representatives that know what skates are best for your feet.

When I bought my skates last year....I tried on some CCM's. I concluded I didn't like them much. Then he encouraged me to try out Reebok's, which I liked much better.

The only other thing I can think of, is you're tying your skates too tight. Skates should be snug, but not too tight to where the point you're cutting off circulation.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
I might have to look into it... Is there a universal width measurement or is it different from company to company? I have the One55s in EE, so I think I might need them in ZZ.
It can vary quite a bit from one brand to the next.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 11:14 AM
YogiCanucks

Yeah I used to have the same problem because I tied my skates like a vice grip.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:21 PM
BrianNYR

Are you wearing sandals alot because of the summer. That can flatten your feet out believe it or not.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
If you have one or two problematic areas, especially if it only exists on one foot, you can bake the boot and stretch out that specific area by hand. I've had to do this because of problems with one foot, asymmetry stinks!
I have problems with one foot as well, my left one.

While my right foot fits nicely I have to knock out a dent into the toe cap so my big toe doesn't touch the tip of the toe cap on the left foot.

I also make my own new ankle pocket with a homemade tool I made for that. A piece of wood with a hole cut out sanded very smoothly as to not hurt the skate. I cover the hole on one side with a steel plate and then use half of a ball bearing as an ankle bone and use a C-clamp to make a new ankle pocket about 1/8 of an inch higher than the one that comes with the skate.

I really do not know why my left foot is so different than my left. Both look the same with the eyeball!

I wish I could afford customized skates like the pros actually.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:38 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
Grafs
Agreed. All pain went away for me when I switched. Nothing beats skates designed for different foot structures.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Agreed. All pain went away for me when I switched. Nothing beats skates designed for different foot structures.
Grafs seems to have a great reputation around here; Do they have the widest possible footbeds? Or is it just that they have a wide selection for different or particular types of feet?

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:54 PM
RaoulDuke2k

New skates, probably for a wider forefoot and a decent footbed should alleviate your problems.

I started skating again using a Graf 703 which has a narrow forefoot, and my feet would take a beating, especially if it was a lengthy skate. I started to loosen the lower part of the skate which helped, but when I switched to a Reebok 9k it fixed all of my problems. It's a fuller volume skate and I have no discomfort no matter how long I play. My legs give out far before my feet do now. I also put Shock Dr. footbeds in there, which are just more substantial and higher quality than any stock footbeds. I'm sure it helps too.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:14 PM
190Octane

I had the same problem with my one90s, it felt like my arch and the top of my foot were on fire. I loosened the skate and got the Graf superfeet insoles and it made a HUGE difference.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 07:47 AM
stick9

Your feet shouldn't hurt during or after skating. These are signs of an improper fitting skate.

Sounds like the boot isn't wide enough or deep enough for your foot.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote