HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd Line Center "again"

Old
07-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
It will be Stoll but I really want to see what Purcell can do in that spot too. He may get a couple chances there throughout the season and if he produces, he could stick. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Hold the phone, did I just agree with Kurrillino?
jeezzzzzzzzzzz

can't believe my eyes....

can't wait for the season start. One of us will be right and start that "i told you since years" stuff

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 05:42 PM
LeanSixSigma

I'll take a try at the lines, and agree with most but just slightly different:

Frolov Kopitar Williams
Smyth Stoll Brown
Handzus Purcell Simmonds
Ivanans/Richardson Lewis Moller/Harrold

Doughty Greene
Johnson Scuderi
O'Donnell Hickey
Drewiske

LeanSixSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 05:51 PM
deano

Stoll and Brown played well together last year, and I'm sure that combo is 2/3 of the second line. I'd personally like to see Simmonds switch over to the LW on the third line, with Handzus centering and Purcell on the right. Simmonds has the type of game that can work on either side as he does his best work along the boards with puck possession. Purcell is much better on the right than he is on the left. Being a natural playmaker, I'd rather see him in a position he is most comfortable in. Hopefully he blossoms this year.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Jwm1986

We are in trouble if Purcell is our starting 2nd line center. He hasnt proven anything and would be lucky to be on the 3rd lune until he proves differently

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Well who plays on the 1st PP if not Smyth?

there is plenty of room for Purcell on the PP next year
Frolov and Williams

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:33 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
whats with your Eaves hard on?
That reminds me of this brilliant post by icyfur,

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=573

Funny then, funny now.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:35 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
It's going to be Stoll. He's going to fire that cannon of a shot and Smyth and Brown are going to pick up the rebounds for the garbage goals.
Bingo. That's going to be a hell of a line to watch. Hopefully Murray figures that one out early, and doesn't stick Smyth with Kopitar just because they're both making 6 million.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Lanius

Handzus because he's better than Stoll. Simple as that.

Smyth - Kopitar - Williams
Frolov - Handzus - Brown
Moller - Stoll - Purcell
Ivanans - Lewis - Simmonds

Johnson - Doughty
Scuderi - Greene
O'Donnell - ______

Last edited by Lanius: 07-24-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Lanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Lead Role in a Cage

Why are people putting Purcell on the 3rd line/next to Simmonds and Handzus? Doesn't make any sense.

For second center- Stoll.

For the scoring lines-
Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Frolov-Stoll-Brown

Reason?
Frolov can make linemates better in many ways. I think him or Kopitar would be best suited to find and feed Stoll in shooting positions, something that was stressed by Hextall or Lombardi, can't remember who and when exactly, but it was before July 1.
Kopitar gets to play with guys that knows what it takes, carrying lots of experience along with a great deal of skills. I'm pretty sure part of getting Kopitar to the next level, besides putting pressure on him to get in shape and showing willingness to compete, is to play him next to guys who do just that- compete and play hard. They can be his role models right next to him, and the first line will be the one to lead by example.
Frolov is talented and good enough to carry/lead the second line, perhaps not every night but more often than not, and along with Stoll and Brown should put up respectable numbers or better for a second line.

Simmonds and Handzus sure is good to have on a 3rd right now, but what the h is going on with the fourth line? Is it Harrold-Clune plus center or Harrold-?-? ? I would like speed, size and banging, but don't see that in the system able to step in right now.

Perhaps off topic, and apologies if so, but have anyone read what or if Lombardi and co have said to prefer as a model 4th line? I am really curious to hear what they expect them to be and do?

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:44 PM
SFKingshomer

I think there is a bigger need for a 2nd pairing PP QB. Someone like Brendan Bell wouldn't be bad for cheap.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:58 PM
VictoryRose

PURCELL
IS
NOT
A
CENTER
EVER.

There is a hole at center still. Kopitar still has some growing up to do, but this is based on last season. Maybe it will change.

Maybe Trevor Lewis breaks out. Maybe Loktionov breaks out.

I think the Kings can make the playoffs with the present roster. They can basically fake their way in. When you're an 8 seed looking at a #1 seed in possibly detroit, San Jose, Chicago, or calgary, lack of depth at center is going to get exposed real quick.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
PURCELL
IS
NOT
A
CENTER
EVER.

There is a hole at center still. Kopitar still has some growing up to do, but this is based on last season. Maybe it will change.

Maybe Trevor Lewis breaks out. Maybe Loktionov breaks out.

I think the Kings can make the playoffs with the present roster. They can basically fake their way in. When you're an 8 seed looking at a #1 seed in possibly detroit, San Jose, Chicago, or calgary, lack of depth at center is going to get exposed real quick.

He is a great passer and has great hockey sense..........
tell me one reason why he is traped on the winger position???
His skills are a perfect fit for the center position

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:37 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
Stoll and Brown played well together last year, and I'm sure that combo is 2/3 of the second line. I'd personally like to see Simmonds switch over to the LW on the third line, with Handzus centering and Purcell on the right. Simmonds has the type of game that can work on either side as he does his best work along the boards with puck possession. Purcell is much better on the right than he is on the left. Being a natural playmaker, I'd rather see him in a position he is most comfortable in. Hopefully he blossoms this year.
I don't know about switching Simmonds to LW. I know he's way better than I ever could be, but I've always found that I play the boards way, way better when my stick is on the boards and forehand facing the net rather than towards the middle of the ice and backhand towards the net. He may be able to make the adjustment just fine and I just might not know what the hell I'm talking about, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

On topic, I like the
Frolov - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Stoll - Brown
combos. I doubt any line is going to stay together long, but when we got Smyth, those are the combos I immediately thought of.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
So.. it looks pretty much that Lombardi's shopping tour ended.

We still have a big hole on the 2nd line Center position
What are you talking about? With Gaborik as the first line center, Kopitar will do just fine as #2...wait...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
He is a great passer and has great hockey sense..........
tell me one reason why he is traped on the winger position???
His skills are a perfect fit for the center position
Faceoffs. He stunk in limited action last year, winning 5 and losing 24, and it would be a major issue.

Defense. He's mediocre to bad defensively, and centers have the most defensive responsibility out of the forwards.

Corner battles. He loses the majority of them, and lost defensive corner battles would result in quality scoring chances against.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:36 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Do people understand that Stoll is simply a 15-20 goal placeholder good for three more years until one of Schenn or Loktionov steps in? One of the best "bridges" Lombardi has put in place. And realistically, by the time either Schenn or Loktionov are making an impact in at the NHL level, 2 - 3 years down the road, we'll be yearly Cup contenders, as well. It all falls into place in my mind.

And Stoll has already rubbed off on Kopitar when it comes to faceoffs. Stoll's only irreplaceable attribute is at the dot, and obviously it's a teachable skill.

That Visnovsky trade really will be looked back at as such a fantastic deal for the Kings.

Old
07-25-2009, 03:34 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Do people understand that Stoll is simply a 15-20 goal placeholder good for three more years until one of Schenn or Loktionov steps in? One of the best "bridges" Lombardi has put in place. And realistically, by the time either Schenn or Loktionov are making an impact in at the NHL level, 2 - 3 years down the road, we'll be yearly Cup contenders, as well. It all falls into place in my mind.

And Stoll has already rubbed off on Kopitar when it comes to faceoffs. Stoll's only irreplaceable attribute is at the dot, and obviously it's a teachable skill.

That Visnovsky trade really will be looked back at as such a fantastic deal for the Kings.
Yes, "cheating" is a learned behavior!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 03:58 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
If it was as simple as "cheating" everyone would be doing it and Stoll wouldn't have one of the best faceoff percentages in the league. He has a knack for winning faceoffs, and Kopitar didn't just get better last year on accident.

Seriously, if that's all Stoll did why would he brag in the media for every ref in the world to see? That's like a goalie coming out and saying "hey, I really like to slash guys in the crease, so make sure to watch me extra special hard next game." Don't be silly.

Old
07-25-2009, 04:32 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
To me, Stoll is a scoring forward with a grinder's mentality. You can see that he has vision to make plays, and the shot to score, but it's obvious that he focuses mostly on the 2-way part of the game. He plays the game simple, and he plays the game tough. It's just as much of a handicap as it is a gift.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 05:56 AM
triplcrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Faceoffs. He stunk in limited action last year, winning 5 and losing 24, and it would be a major issue.

Defense. He's mediocre to bad defensively, and centers have the most defensive responsibility out of the forwards.

Corner battles. He loses the majority of them, and lost defensive corner battles would result in quality scoring chances against.
Reluctantly, I have to concur.

If Purcell is going to make it, it's going to have
to be on one of the wings.

This year is Purcell's make-or-break year, at least
for making our team.

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Wha?

It's called hand eye coordination brother.

I don't recall the year, but there was one year that it felt like Federov never lost a faceoff. From the moment the puck came out of the zebra's hand, he was on it.

Old
07-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Stoll is an all around very good hockey player. I just wish he had 10-15 more pounds on his frame and was stronger. He is still young enough to get much better as well.

Old
07-25-2009, 10:49 AM
OldGreatWestern

I would try

Smyth - Kopitar - Brown

I think Smyth and Brown would really open up some space for Kopi to work. I also think that no matter what, Smyth and Brown should be on the same line because someone needs to be able to sit around the net and bang in all the shots Brown puts into the goalies pads.

Frolov - Handzus - Williams

I think Zus has earned the 2nd center roll. I also think he has much better chemistry with Fro than Stoll does. This line has good size and also a good mixture of grit and skill. I think they could play a Detroit style of offense where they cycle deep along the boards. I would also use this line to play against other teams top lines because Handzus is so good defensively and everyone has such a hard time taking the puck away from Fro.

Simmonds - Stoll - Purcell

Kind of a weird line but there is a distinct grinder, shooter, and playmaker. It looks like Purcell is going to get his shot and I dont see where else he would fit except the 3rd line. I guess its not a typical shutdown line but both Simmonds and Stoll are pretty gritty and good defensively and hopefully they can open up some space for Purcell.

4th line is totally up in the air. Maybe Clune - Lewis - Westgarth

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:00 AM
OldGreatWestern

By the way... I would try Jack Johnson at center before I would try Purcell as one. Good skater, good hands, can carry the puck, and has defensive experience. Could be a good 2-way center.

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'd keep Zus as centering the stopper unit. Stoll is good defensively, but Zus is better. Offense is the other way around, Zus is pretty good, but Stoll is a little better. Kopi-Stoll-Zus down the middle will be just fine by me for the next 2 years.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote