Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why did Burke give Giggy a NMC?

Old
07-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Ducks

vCash: 500
Why did Burke give Giggy a NMC?

I highly doubt that Giguere demanded a NMC to re-sign with the Ducks. I'm sure it was icing on the cake for him, but at 6 Million on a long contract it's not like he took any form of paycut.

So was Burke just trying to be loyal to Giggy as a player? I really doubt that if the same contract was offered to Giguere at that time without the NMC that he would have said no.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:37 PM
SingDomestica

Burke said he pretty much never gives out NMCs but he did give an exception to Giguere for his son's medical treatments.

SingDomestica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Pepper

Selanne and Giguere were the only players Burke gave a NTC/NMC, Giguere got it because of his son's medical condition and Selanne got it because, well he's Selanne.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:51 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post
I highly doubt that Giguere demanded a NMC to re-sign with the Ducks. I'm sure it was icing on the cake for him, but at 6 Million on a long contract it's not like he took any form of paycut.

So was Burke just trying to be loyal to Giggy as a player? I really doubt that if the same contract was offered to Giguere at that time without the NMC that he would have said no.
When Jiggy's contract was up it looked like there was a good chance we were going to lose him. He probably would have gotten 7+ in the open market but took a little less to stay in Anaheim. When Jiggy signed that deal most of us hailed Burke for such a good deal.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

it was for his son.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 04:12 PM
caliamad

He also agreed to take "less" money to sign in Anaheim, at least acoording to Burke.

caliamad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Ducks

The "for his son" stuff is total BS imo. If Anaheim is near the best doctor for him, then he would want to stay in Anaheim to be near him with or without a NMC, that's just more incentive to stay here anyway. 6 million was not taking a paycut, i doubt he would have pulled 7 on the free agent market even right after winning a cup.

All giving him a NMC for that long and for that much money did was hurt the team. I seriously doubt it was necessary to keep him on the Ducks with that huge contract he got, the fact that his son's doctor is here, and the fact that he wanted to stay with the team he won the cup with.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The "for his son" stuff is total BS imo. If Anaheim is near the best doctor for him, then he would want to stay in Anaheim to be near him with or without a NMC, that's just more incentive to stay here anyway. 6 million was not taking a paycut, i doubt he would have pulled 7 on the free agent market even right after winning a cup.

All giving him a NMC for that long and for that much money did was hurt the team. I seriously doubt it was necessary to keep him on the Ducks with that huge contract he got, the fact that his son's doctor is here, and the fact that he wanted to stay with the team he won the cup with.
He deserved it... pretty simple stuff here.

Anyways, he will waive his NMC if Hiller keeps the #1 job.

paine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
KeepItDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
When Jiggy's contract was up it looked like there was a good chance we were going to lose him. He probably would have gotten 7+ in the open market but took a little less to stay in Anaheim. When Jiggy signed that deal most of us hailed Burke for such a good deal.
Agreed.

A comp for Jiggy at the time was Khabibulin, who got $6.75mil two summers before. With the league revenue going strong and the Cap continuing to rise like it was, 7mil+ was expected.

The NMC on Burke's part was a concession to acknowledge Giguere taking less money. He recognized the franchise's needs, we recognized his. Anybody that has kids would recognize the importance to the Gigueres of maintaining the treatment that their son Maxime was getting at that critical time.

As "for his son stuff being totally BS":
Quote:
"My family will always be my first and foremost priority," Giguere said. "That will never change, whatever happens."

Link

KeepItDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
1manband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Selanne and Giguere were the only players Burke gave a NTC/NMC, Giguere got it because of his son's medical condition and Selanne got it because, well he's Selanne.
I may be wrong but I don't think Selanne got a NMC in his contract, not officially anyway. I would imagine its common knowledge that even if he were to be traded he wouldn't show at the new team anyway

1manband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:10 PM
caliamad

I'm sure the team would ok it with him before he got shopped regardless... similar to what murray did with Niedermayer before this deadline.

He clearly took a lot less money to stay here, it would be total bs to not talk to him 1st.

caliamad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:

How so? It's why he wanted it in the first place. He didn't want the Ducks to be able to trade him elsewhere without his consent, it's pretty cut and dry.

At the time of the deal, and for the first year of it, the contract was a bargain and he did probably take a lot less to stay here. He had a bad year, but if he plays like he can then it's a great deal again.

Also, Anaheim isn't the closest team to his son's doctor. LA is, and they've been hurting for a goaltender for a long time. LA probably could've given him quite a bit, and that's why giving him the NMC was necessary, as they likely would've too.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Degenerate191

He signed it right after the cup win too. Burke did it for all the reasons stated previously, plus he and everyone else was still high from winning a championship. I would have given JS the max after the playoffs he had.

Degenerate191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manband View Post
I may be wrong but I don't think Selanne got a NMC in his contract, not officially anyway. I would imagine its common knowledge that even if he were to be traded he wouldn't show at the new team anyway
No, Giggy has the NMC and Selanne has NTC.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 09:31 AM
KeepItDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
No, Giggy has the NMC and Selanne has NTC.
According to this list at nhlscap.com, it's the other way around:
Quote:
Jean-Sebastian Giguere, ANA - NTC
Todd Marchant, ANA - NTC
Teemu Selanne, ANA - NMC
Ryan Whitney, ANA - NTC [starting July 1, 2011; Anaheim had right to nullify NTC when completing trade because Whitney's NTC has yet to vest - whether they've done that or not is unknown for the time being]

KeepItDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:20 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItDeep View Post
According to this list at nhlscap.com, it's the other way around:
That's the list I was looking for. Couldn't find it at a glance yesterday at work.

I was going to ask if Burke actually gave Jiggy a NMC instead of an NTC, because I could have sworn that Burke had said he had a NTC way back when. But then either the media or Giguere (or maybe Murray) or somebody had mentioned NMC recently, and I thought it sounded wrong. But I had classified the source that mentioned it as unreliable, because I think it had mentioned both terms near each other without trying to make a distinction.

After that, other posters and media were running around mentioning NMC.

But as to the topic, I do think Giguere took a discount or agreed to stay because of the NTC. I was convinced that he was leaving after the season, and was surprised that he re-upped. Although the term was a little long and risky for my liking.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote