HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would YOU sign Morris?

View Poll Results: Would YOU get Derek Morris?
I agree, having the BEST d-men in the league is what wins championships. 11 23.91%
No, we need a forward to replace Knuble and Lupul 14 30.43%
No, we need that 3rd line center. Faceoffs and size. We can not get this at the dead line. 21 45.65%
Emery and Boucher going to be just fine, the cup is ours. 4 8.70%
I have faith in Jones. We can get Morris type of player at the dead line. 4 8.70%
I like Carle or we wont be able to trade Carle. 12 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Rumor is Malhotra isnt liked in locker rooms.

I would rather 1 year deal on Peca or Sillinger or someone
I've read that rumour about Malhotra as well. I've also read that he feels he's above third line duties and that he wants a guaranteed top six role with top six money.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've also read that he feels he's above third line duties and that he wants a guaranteed top six role with top six money.
Kind of like somebody else we all know.

...who I might add isn't signed either.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

Morris makes WAY more than Jones...how can you say that?

This thread ****ing insane. All of last season, people complained that Jones needs to go because he makes WAY TOO MONEY to play the 3rd pairing...now we're going to get a guy that makes more than Jones???

Jesus christ on a cracker batman.

He's a UFA how do you know how much he is being paid? I'm under the assumption he'll be like Biron and run out of options and sign a 1 year deal for like 1.5 or 2 mil

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Just because you're getting a 3rd line center (Malhotra?), doesn't make the 3rd line a formidable shut-down line. Granted he's decent on the draw, but do the other two guys playing with him not play a factor?

Morris makes WAY more than Jones...how can you say that?

This thread ****ing insane. All of last season, people complained that Jones needs to go because he makes WAY TOO MONEY to play the 3rd pairing...now we're going to get a guy that makes more than Jones???

Jesus christ on a cracker batman.
exactly its bad enough we are paying a defenseman who may play at most 12-15 minites a night in Jones 2.75 for this season but people want to give Morris the same type of money? why?
right now we have potentially SIX million dollars tied up on the 3rd pairing Which i think and would hope happens in the end we have Pronger-Timonen-Coburn and Parent as the top 4.
This is why Carle needs to be traded first. Philly may be able to get some kind of return on him. Not sure we can say the same thing about Jones if the Flyers did a 180 and didnt want him anymore.

Quote:
He's a UFA how do you know how much he is being paid? I'm under the assumption he'll be like Biron and run out of options and sign a 1 year deal for like 1.5 or 2 mil
I would rather keep Jones honestly for one more season(cant believe I am saying this lol) then sign Morris. who could still ask for and probably get more then a 1 year deal. The Flyers are going to need Jones's cap hit coming off the books to sign the RFA's that are coming up for next offseason.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Opus

Quote:
At 1.5 million, that's a completely different story.

I wouldn't count on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
exactly its bad enough we are paying a defenseman who may play at most 12-15 minites a night in Jones 2.75 for this season but people want to give Morris the same type of money? why?
right now we have potentially SIX million dollars tied up on the 3rd pairing Which i think and would hope happens in the end we have Pronger-Timonen-Coburn and Parent as the top 4.
This is why Carle needs to be traded first. Philly may be able to get some kind of return on him. Not sure we can say the same thing about Jones if the Flyers did a 180 and didnt want him anymore.
See, I don't see Carle being traded...for reasons I already explained on the first page. Also, as long as he's around;

Timonen - Pronger - Coburn - Carle

...are the top 4. I honestly don't see it any other way, and perhaps Pronger lights a fire under Carles ass and brings him back to where he was a few seasons ago. Maybe then, a trade would work...as he would have some value.

Old
07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
At 1.5 million, that's a completely different story.

I wouldn't count on it though.

Yeah but you cant say "Morris is being paid more than Jones" when Morris hasnt been signed yet

Old
07-24-2009, 01:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
See, I don't see Carle being traded...for reasons I already explained on the first page. Also, as long as he's around;

Timonen - Pronger - Coburn - Carle

...are the top 4. I honestly don't see it any other way, and perhaps Pronger lights a fire under Carles ass and brings him back to where he was a few seasons ago. Maybe then, a trade would work...as he would have some value.
I shutter to think what Pronger may do to Carle after the 89th time he has to cover his ass after one of Carle's infamous coughing up the puck.
But I hear you putting Carle on the top 4 as much as some of us may not like it(including myself) might be the best way to showcase him if the Flyers did ever have any intentions of putting him up for trade. playing him 12 minutes a night on the 3rd pairing would lower his value.
Its a catch22 because honestly I am not crazy about a Parent-Jones pairing even for 12 minutes a night.
Best case scenerio obviously is to let Jones walk after the season, trade Carle at some point. That would give the Flyers nearly 10 million to play with(not counting what could come back in the deal if they trade Carle) next offseason.

Old
07-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I shutter to think what Pronger may do to Carle after the 89th time he has to cover his ass after one of Carle's infamous coughing up the puck.
But I hear you putting Carle on the top 4 as much as some of us may not like it(including myself) might be the best way to showcase him if the Flyers did ever have any intentions of putting him up for trade. playing him 12 minutes a night on the 3rd pairing would lower his value.
Its a catch22 because honestly I am not crazy about a Parent-Jones pairing even for 12 minutes a night.
Best case scenerio obviously is to let Jones walk after the season, trade Carle at some point. That would give the Flyers nearly 10 million to play with(not counting what could come back in the deal if they trade Carle) next offseason.
Saying Carle coughs the puck up doesn't make it true. You can check the stats or you can watch some of the games over. He handles the puck all the time and almost always does something good with it.

He is also one of our ice time leaders too, so the coaches are relying on him.

Stevens will probably start off with Pronger and Timonen together so they can keep Carle and Coburn together. This is our top 4. They are very unlikely to trade Matt Carle, and they shouldn't if they are planning a Cup run based on a really solid D.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

First off... I want to thank Kaktus for stressing the multi-vote aspect in this poll -- coulda left off the direct reference to me though.

I agree that Morris would be a real fine addition... IF the needs weren't so clearly elsewhere, IMO... I am not as worried about the goalie situation, with the D now in place, and feel that if Emery keeps his nose clean, he can handle the #1 duties. I also feel fine with Boucher as a backup.

As most people probably realize, I am not comfortable with the forwards as now set up... I believe that they will miss Knuble more than anyone will admit. Add to that Lupul's departure and the depth at forward is low... I can see where centers will have to be moved to RW and both positions will suffer. Another top six winger is a clear need, as I see it... Also, I'd like to see a veteran center brought in for a low Cap hit to relieve the centers, allowing moves to wing, and to hand the key face-offs.

Until the forwards are bolstered to allow for three decent lines, two of which being strong... one holding their own and able to move up for injuries... this team will not go far.

The D is very solid as it stands... arguably the best in the Conference, clearly best in the Division... If Jones or Carle is moved, I'd rather see the cap space used to replace the depleted forwards. Replacing one of them for Morris is little more than a lateral move; the D is good now, would be good with that change... With Jones or Carle moved and replaced with a solid sixth D-man at $1M or less, the D would in my mind still be fine, and the added top six forward and veteran 3rd line center would go further towards bringing back the Cup.

If Jones AND Carle can be moved for assets, I could see Morris being brought in... along with a top six forward and a 3rd line center, if handled correctly... IF HANDLED CORRECTLY, using the late off-season bargains that may be around.

That said, I voted for the winger to replace Knuble and Lupul... and also voted for the 3rd line center -- Surprise, surprise... surprise.

... BTW: I haven't read the previous posts yet, so I apologize for any rehashing I may have done here.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 03:06 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Ill take him any day of the week, and SOMETIMES twice on Sundays.

I love Morris's complete game that he brings and will be valued more than Carle will. Jones blows, everyone knows that except maybe JXC, but to have Morris in our D core, it would be a force to be reckoned with, even if we give up Carle.

Pronger
Timonen
Coburn
Morris
Parent
Marshall/Bourdon

That is one of the toughest D cores in the game.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Just so you all know . . .Morris made $3.9 million last year. Him taking a pay cut could STILL be more than Carle.
He had a down offensive year and could probably be had for around 3 or less. He is a FAR better defenseman than either Carle or Jones. I just don't see how Holmgren could ever get rid of either of them when a guy like Morris is just sitting out there.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:46 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I rather put Giroux and Briere in the top 6 and have a shut-down third line and not waste Richards and Carter against guys like Malking and Ovechkin....We can agree to disagree....

A top 6 of

Hartnell Carter Briere
Gagne Richards Giroux

or some combination of that may be the best in the league!

Besides, we were talking about a Dman here in Morris, not a center

I agree with GKJ....I believe we are a Malhotra "type" away from being a team competing for the cup, assuming Emery is at least as good as Biron that is....We have to wait and see on him.

A top 4 of Coburn/Timonen Pronger/Parent is more than capable of competing....just fill in the bottom pairing with cheap guys that wont kill you....Basically the Red Wing theory, how has that worked out for them???

Also, one thing almost all the cup winners have in common is that very good defensive center that can win faceoffs and play agaisnt the other team's top offensive players.....Pittsburgh - Staal, Detroit - Draper/Flip, Anaheim - Pahlsson, Carolina - Brind'amour, TB - Taylor and Andreychuk (who was taking a good bit of faceoffs at the time)

The closest thing to that we have is Richards, but why waste our top offensive center or a young guy like Giroux in that role???
According to NHL.com Staal's regular season faceoff percentage was 47% in the regular season and 46.1% in the playoffs. They have no faceoff takers in the mid-50s (54-56%) or above except for Michael Zigomanis who had 62.9% with 251 faceoffs. However they do have the amount of faceoffs spread out over more people. We have the majority of our faceoffs taken just by Carter and Richards with our 3rd player who took the most faceoffs being Giroux with 349 while their 4th highest faceoff taker was Talbot with 542, though they did have 450 more faceoffs than us- Pittsburgh 4802 vs. Philly 4352. What this all means... I don't know - I guess I was trying to say they aren't that much better at faceoffs than us- however they are definitely better (though not creaming us) and seem to have more people that can handle the job than we do but perhaps with a new year under his belt Giroux's 47% will improve or at least stay the same and he can take on more of the burden, perhaps Powe can too who had a 48.7% with 263 faceoffs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...fPercentageAll

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 10:22 PM
EasyMac

And Morris signs with the Bruins. 1 year, 3.3 million.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 11:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Saying Carle coughs the puck up doesn't make it true. You can check the stats or you can watch some of the games over. He handles the puck all the time and almost always does something good with it.

He is also one of our ice time leaders too, so the coaches are relying on him.

Stevens will probably start off with Pronger and Timonen together so they can keep Carle and Coburn together. This is our top 4. They are very unlikely to trade Matt Carle, and they shouldn't if they are planning a Cup run based on a really solid D.
Carle does turn the puck over a lot. more then a so called top 4 defenseman should. Especially one that is consitered a Cup contender.
The guy is also below average defensively.
Very unlikely to trade Matt Carle? They will trade Carle if they have to. The Flyers have 2 very improtant members of the blueline up for RFA next season in Parent and Coburn
Having Parent and Coburn locked up on this team for years to come>>>Keeping Matt Carle around.

Old
07-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Opus

Quote:
Yeah but you cant say "Morris is being paid more than Jones" when Morris hasnt been signed yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
And Morris signs with the Bruins. 1 year, 3.3 million.
*coughs*

oh Hover...

Old
07-25-2009, 08:43 AM
HoverCarle*

cheaper than Carle though

Old
07-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Opus

Quote:
cheaper than Carle though
Still too rich for the 3rd pairing though, no?

Old
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Still too rich for the 3rd pairing though, no?
Still too rich for the 3rd pairing though, yes.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 07-25-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Wud

I wanted Morris for the second pairing, and get rid of Carle, Jones. I don't care how much we gave up for Carle, IMO he's nowhere near worth what he's getting paid. What we gave up for him is in the past. Yeah boohoo, get over it and move on.

The bottom line is Boston just got better and not us.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Morris for $3.3M. Rather have Jones at his contract.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:24 PM
phlocky

Why the hell did Boston sign him to that much if they are still having trouble finding the cap space to resign Kessel? Diddn't that just eat up most of their remaining cap room for next year??? I know they can exceed the cap limit by 10% during the offseason but they still need to get down to 56.8 mil for the beginning of the season. Who do they move now to make room for Kessel?

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
According to NHL.com Staal's regular season faceoff percentage was 47% in the regular season and 46.1% in the playoffs. They have no faceoff takers in the mid-50s (54-56%) or above except for Michael Zigomanis who had 62.9% with 251 faceoffs. However they do have the amount of faceoffs spread out over more people. We have the majority of our faceoffs taken just by Carter and Richards with our 3rd player who took the most faceoffs being Giroux with 349 while their 4th highest faceoff taker was Talbot with 542, though they did have 450 more faceoffs than us- Pittsburgh 4802 vs. Philly 4352. What this all means... I don't know - I guess I was trying to say they aren't that much better at faceoffs than us- however they are definitely better (though not creaming us) and seem to have more people that can handle the job than we do but perhaps with a new year under his belt Giroux's 47% will improve or at least stay the same and he can take on more of the burden, perhaps Powe can too who had a 48.7% with 263 faceoffs.

And their 47%'s beat our guys, pretty handily in the playoffs. So what's what tell you?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wud View Post
I wanted Morris for the second pairing, and get rid of Carle, Jones. I don't care how much we gave up for Carle, IMO he's nowhere near worth what he's getting paid. What we gave up for him is in the past. Yeah boohoo, get over it and move on.

The bottom line is Boston just got better and not us.
I disagre,, I think Boston just shot themselves in the foot. They will either lose Kessel or another player now because of this signing. The players they have who make enough money that can be moved to make the cap room to sign and keep Kessel are better than Morris IMO. I think they will be worse in the long run because of this signing once all the fallout from moving players to either keep or trade Kessel happens.

Old
07-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Wud

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I disagre,, I think Boston just shot themselves in the foot. They will either lose Kessel or another player now because of this signing. The players they have who make enough money that can be moved to make the cap room to sign and keep Kessel are better than Morris IMO. I think they will be worse in the long run because of this signing once all the fallout from moving players to either keep or trade Kessel happens.
They have overpaid players that can be traded/waived too.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
phlocky

If I'm not mistaken then Briere is not terrible at faceoffs. Also, once he came back and was paired with Giroux, Briere took the majority of the faceoffs even though he was technically on Giroux's wing.

I still think that our best solution to this "problem" is to bring in someone to work with Richards and Carter and to make them better.