HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would YOU sign Morris?

View Poll Results: Would YOU get Derek Morris?
I agree, having the BEST d-men in the league is what wins championships. 11 23.91%
No, we need a forward to replace Knuble and Lupul 14 30.43%
No, we need that 3rd line center. Faceoffs and size. We can not get this at the dead line. 21 45.65%
Emery and Boucher going to be just fine, the cup is ours. 4 8.70%
I have faith in Jones. We can get Morris type of player at the dead line. 4 8.70%
I like Carle or we wont be able to trade Carle. 12 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Why the hell did Boston sign him to that much if they are still having trouble finding the cap space to resign Kessel? Diddn't that just eat up most of their remaining cap room for next year??? I know they can exceed the cap limit by 10% during the offseason but they still need to get down to 56.8 mil for the beginning of the season. Who do they move now to make room for Kessel?
The answer seems to be under your nose... They move Kessel.

The question that begs to be asked is; why only one season on the Morris contract?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:42 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wud View Post
They have overpaid players that can be traded/waived too.
Who??? Ryder, their 4th leading scorer??? Savard, their top scorer??? MAYBE Bergeron but considering he put up 70+ points in his 2nd and 3rd seasons before getting put out for a season by Randy Jones I doubt he's "overpaid" but he MIGHT be moved. A healthy Marco Sturm is a bargin at only 3.5 mil so he's not over paid. I highly doubt the move or even consider Wideman, a 50 points dman, over paid. Chara, LOL, no way. That's it for the list of guys who make as much or more than Morris and if they have to move one of them to keep Kessel then I think it was stupid to sign Morris because he's NOT better than any of the guys listed on my list.

Oh, there is one more guy they could move to free up cap space, how about their starting goalie whom they just signed to a nice extension. Yeah, that would make the Morris signing just brilliant wouldn't it, move one of the best goalies n the league last year for a #4/#5 dman??? That's NOT how you build a winning team.

This would be paramount to us having to sign Coburn and Parent next year and having cap issues but signing Randy Jones to a 3.3 mil deal BEFORE we sign either of Coburn or Parent. I guess we COULD move Hartnell to create the cap space to sign Coburn and Parent then but would we really be a better team by HAVING to trade Hartnell just so we could pay Rnady Jones 3.3 mil to be a bottom pairing guy for us??? I don't think so.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'm glad the Bruins ended up with Morris, they'll be that much easier to play when Morris is on the ice, because he sucks.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:46 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
The answer seems to be under your nose... They move Kessel.

The question that begs to be asked is; why only one season on the Morris contract?

Their GM has said that Kessel would NOT be moved. However, even if he was just bold faced lying are they really better with Morris in there then they would be with Kessel in the lineup??? I don't think so.

Old
07-25-2009, 12:52 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm glad the Bruins ended up with Morris, they'll be that much easier to play when Morris is on the ice, because he sucks.
Yup, and at 3.3 mil I'd MUCH rather have Randy Jones at only 2.75 mil.

Now IF the Bruins think (or have in place already) they can trade Kessel for a good young player who is still under contract cheaply and won't be an RFA until next season or the following, then 1 year of Morris is not too bad I guess. If they can trade Kessel straight up for Kesler then their cap problems are solved and I don't think they will have hurt their team at all. However, that's a HUGE leap of faith believeing that yu can get Kesler (@ under 2 mil for 2 more seasons) for Kessel (who is reportedly asking for 5 mil a season).

Old
07-25-2009, 01:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Now IF the Bruins think (or have in place already) they can trade Kessel for a good young player who is still under contract cheaply and won't be an RFA until next season or the following, then 1 year of Morris is not too bad I guess. If they can trade Kessel straight up for Kesler then their cap problems are solved and I don't think they will have hurt their team at all. However, that's a HUGE leap of faith believeing that yu can get Kesler (@ under 2 mil for 2 more seasons) for Kessel (who is reportedly asking for 5 mil a season).
Glad to see Kessel and his agent are really shooting for the stars in terms of a contract. 5 million bucks a season, eh. I agree with what Chiarelli is doing in Boston - Kessel has zero leverage. He's an RFA, he has no arbitration rights, he's essentially dead in the water. All what he can do is hold out and that just hurts him. He's going to have to swallow his pride, come back to the Bruins at a discounted price (and yes, it's hard to believe that 3 million bucks and change is a discounted price) and then play for a new deal that might be a better pay off. As it stands, Kessel would be asking for more coin than Krejci, and I don't know about anyone on here, but I'll take Krejci any day of the week over Kessel.

As for the Morris signing, I kind of like Morris. I think Boston is the perfect situation for Morris. He's going to play in the top four and I can easily see him and Mark Stuart partnering up. And contrary to what people may think, there is some snarl to Morris' game and he hits like a freight train. Stuart is going to allow him to play a bit more on the offensive side and a return to a 40 point season is definitely a possibility. However, the one thing about Morris that does need to be pointed out is that he's missed time in the past with injuries, so he might be a touch injury prone. Anyways, good signing by the Bruins.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Their GM has said that Kessel would NOT be moved. However, even if he was just bold faced lying are they really better with Morris in there then they would be with Kessel in the lineup??? I don't think so.
IDK, I may just be relying too much on the rumors floating around out there that Kessel is being shopped -- I understand that he may be a problem on the roster... and he is far from a player who will give them a two way game -- I also understand that Morris is what they are settling on in place of trading for Kaberle.

The Bruins seem happy with Morris and are willing to listen to offers for Kessel rather than re-signing him.

Old
07-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

And there is also the added benefit of saving on overhead... Simple insertion of an 'S' in the middle and removing the 'R' from the end on all uniforms and locker tags has to save some change over the course of the contract.

Old
07-25-2009, 01:26 PM
phlocky

I just can't believe that NOBODY has even offered Kessel 5 mil on an offer sheet by now. The guy is only 21 years old, hes scored 60 points in 70 games and is on the verge of becoming a legit top line scoring winger and an all-star canidate. 5 mil would only be a 1st and a 2nd if I'm not mistaken, more than worth it for a 1st line scorer.

IDK, maybe he's too young to recieve any offer sheets.

Old
07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I just can't believe that NOBODY has even offered Kessel 5 mil on an offer sheet by now. The guy is only 21 years old, hes scored 60 points in 70 games and is on the verge of becoming a legit top line scoring winger and an all-star canidate. 5 mil would only be a 1st and a 2nd if I'm not mistaken, more than worth it for a 1st line scorer.

I believe that a player has to hit his Arbitration period to receive an Offer Sheet, IIRC.

Old
07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
My guess is he doesn't want to be in Boston, and he hasn't gotten an offer sheet good enough from a team whose city he wants to go to.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:36 PM
phlocky

Hey, I have a question, what does IIRC stand for? I've seen a lot of other people use this and I never new what it stood for. I'd appreciate filling in a blank for me. Thanks in advance.

Old
07-25-2009, 01:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

It doesn't surprise me that no one has come forth with an offer sheet for Kessel yet. Fact is, most of the teams who could use a Kessel are either up completely against the cap (or in some cases, over the cap) or they are rebuilding and don't want to give up the compensation it would take to get Kessel. As well, teams seem to be afraid that if you sign someone to an offer sheet, it means you've broken some old cardinal rule that you don't poach another team's player, which is complete b.s. Look at all the crap Kevin Lowe caught when he tried signing Vanek and then what he went through after signing Penner. I guess teams don't think it's worth making an enemy over.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Dirk Starlight

Quote:
Hey, I have a question, what does IIRC stand for? I've seen a lot of other people use this and I never new what it stood for. I'd appreciate filling in a blank for me. Thanks in advance.
IIRC = If I remember correctly.

Dirk Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It doesn't surprise me that no one has come forth with an offer sheet for Kessel yet. Fact is, most of the teams who could use a Kessel are either up completely against the cap (or in some cases, over the cap) or they are rebuilding and don't want to give up the compensation it would take to get Kessel. As well, teams seem to be afraid that if you sign someone to an offer sheet, it means you've broken some old cardinal rule that you don't poach another team's player, which is complete b.s. Look at all the crap Kevin Lowe caught when he tried signing Vanek and then what he went through after signing Penner. I guess teams don't think it's worth making an enemy over.
Also, having their own picks to use for compensation is a consideration... But I kinda like to think that the owners realized that they were committing suicide in Offer Sheets and THREATS of Offer Sheets. The OS were raising the bar for contracts across the NHL, and also were for all practical purposes forcing GMs to preempt the OS by offering overpayment themselves... often in the year prior to when the player is allowed to receive an OS -- Richards, Cater, Lupul were offered multi-year contracts prior reaching that point... If Coburn isn't, it may be a sign that the Poaching Era may have come and gone -- I'm not saying collusion is in the works, but simple discussion at the GM meetings, and in-house would surely help them come to the conclusion that these contracts handed out prematurely is serving no one any good... other than the players receiving the offers and early contracts... IMO.

Old
07-25-2009, 02:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I guess it depends on the GMs involved. What happened with Steve Bernier last year was hilarious.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 06:06 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Starlight View Post
IIRC = If I remember correctly.
thnk you very much, that makes sense now smile at my "internet lingo" ignorance, lol

Old
07-25-2009, 06:23 PM
phlocky

In regards to handing out contract extensions before the end of the regular season, remember this, you can onl hand out contract extensions before June 30th upto and including the sum total of all expiring contracts plus any remaining unused cap space. Thus, when Richards and Carter needed contract extensions, we only have enough expiring contracts to sign one of them to a 5+ mil contract. We signed Richards because I imagine that we felt there was a greater chance that he'd recieve a bigger OS than what we wanted to pay him and we felt that Carter would NOT get an OS above 5 mil.

After this season we have to resign Coburn and Parent. Right now we have the following expiring contracts: Asham - 0.64m, Powe (if he makes the team) - 0.52m, Carcillo - 0.894m, Rathje - 3.5m (I honestly don't know if he counts as an "expiring" contract if he's on LTIR the entire season, I think he does but I'm not possitive), Jones - 2.75m, Coburn, 1.3m, Parent - 0.855m, and Pronger (yes his EXISTING contract is expiring so it counts) - 6.25m. That's 16.7m with Rathje or 13.2m without him. We have used 5m if that to resign Pronger already leaving us 11.7m/8.2m to resign any and all of the remaining players with expiring contracts. There is no reason why we can't get Coburn and Parent resigned during the season this year. Even without Rathje's money we should have enough left over to sign Powe and Carcillo to modest raises and keep them too. Hell, wth just the drop in Prongers cap number with his new extension and Jones' expiring contract that's 4 mil worth of raises we have to spread around. That should bemore than enough to sign Coburn and Parent during the season. Add in Ashams salary and we should be able to cover Powe and Carcillo too. If we want to keep Asham we can always offer him a new contract after June 30th if we run out of money to extend him.

Old
07-26-2009, 08:29 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
I believe that a player has to hit his Arbitration period to receive an Offer Sheet, IIRC.
no, once they hit RFA status they can sign an offer sheet

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:34 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
In regards to handing out contract extensions before the end of the regular season, remember this, you can onl hand out contract extensions before June 30th upto and including the sum total of all expiring contracts plus any remaining unused cap space. Thus, when Richards and Carter needed contract extensions, we only have enough expiring contracts to sign one of them to a 5+ mil contract. We signed Richards because I imagine that we felt there was a greater chance that he'd recieve a bigger OS than what we wanted to pay him and we felt that Carter would NOT get an OS above 5 mil.

After this season we have to resign Coburn and Parent. Right now we have the following expiring contracts: Asham - 0.64m, Powe (if he makes the team) - 0.52m, Carcillo - 0.894m, Rathje - 3.5m (I honestly don't know if he counts as an "expiring" contract if he's on LTIR the entire season, I think he does but I'm not possitive), Jones - 2.75m, Coburn, 1.3m, Parent - 0.855m, and Pronger (yes his EXISTING contract is expiring so it counts) - 6.25m. That's 16.7m with Rathje or 13.2m without him. We have used 5m if that to resign Pronger already leaving us 11.7m/8.2m to resign any and all of the remaining players with expiring contracts. There is no reason why we can't get Coburn and Parent resigned during the season this year. Even without Rathje's money we should have enough left over to sign Powe and Carcillo to modest raises and keep them too. Hell, wth just the drop in Prongers cap number with his new extension and Jones' expiring contract that's 4 mil worth of raises we have to spread around. That should bemore than enough to sign Coburn and Parent during the season. Add in Ashams salary and we should be able to cover Powe and Carcillo too. If we want to keep Asham we can always offer him a new contract after June 30th if we run out of money to extend him.
Emery's contract is also done after this saeson, and he'll want a raise assuming he performs well.

you also have to factor in players that are running out the following season aswell, and they include Gagne, Carter & Giroux.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:44 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Emery's contract is also done after this saeson, and he'll want a raise assuming he performs well.

you also have to factor in players that are running out the following season aswell, and they include Gagne, Carter & Giroux.
Emery DOES count towards the available money to extend Coburn, Parent and others, I did forget about him. It's also likely that he's gone after this season anyways because we probably won't have 3+ mil to spend to keep him.

Regarding Gagne, Carter and Giroux having expiring contracts following the 2010/11 season, I doubt we "save" cap space for them. I think we'll spend to the limit again next off season and "cross that bridge when we come to it" regarding having the money to keep those 3. That has always been the year that worried me the most. Gagne could see a modest increase to say around 6 mil. I could EASILY see Carter getting upwards of 7-7.5 mil. And if Giroux continues this season where he left off last year I could easily see him reaching 60 points in his first full season in the NHL. You just know that he'll see an offer sheet of at least 3 mil (only a 2nd rnd pick as compensation right now) if we don't have him signed ahead of time. That's easily 5 mil in raises right there. Unless the economy rebouds tremendously and we see a 2011/12 season cap in excess of 63 mil we could be in a lot of trouble or be saying "Bye-bye" to somebody.

I still wish we had given Carter the exact same contract we gave Richards 2 years ago. Right after Richards signed that deal I was saying that we should do the exact same thisng with Carter. Man that would be sweet to have Carter locked up for the next 10 years at 5.75 mil.

Old
07-26-2009, 09:16 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Carle will be traded for Coburn and Parent's extensions next year

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9