HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2nd Line Center "again"

Old
07-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Two things Stoll has going against him as a #2 center is that he isn't very creative and he isn't a playmaker. Other than that, he's superb on the draw, excellent on the forecheck and backcheck, he takes the body and is one of the more physical forwards on the team (he probably is the hardest hitting forward after Brown), and he's got one of the best shots on the team, if not, the best.

For most of the season he was paired with Brown and they clicked. I think a playmaker (Frolov, maaaaaybe Purcell) would work well with that combination.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Here's the thing, Stoll has chemistry with Smyth from their Edmonton days and with Brown from last season. To me it makes sense to try them together at least during the preseason and see what happens.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Here's the thing, Stoll has chemistry with Smyth from their Edmonton days and with Brown from last season. To me it makes sense to try them together at least during the preseason and see what happens.
Not to worry. Murray will put them together. The question will be whether he splits them up just before or immediately it "makes sense."

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Stoll never centered Smyth. But I agree that the second line has to be Smyth, Stoll, and Brown. Makes too much sense.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
Stoll never centered Smyth. But I agree that the second line has to be Smyth, Stoll, and Brown. Makes too much sense.
Yes he did. He wasn't his regular center, but he did.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

When I questioned the Oilers board, they said Stoll and Smyth hadn't ... Comrie and Weight ... so IF Stoll ever centered Smyth I doubt it was enough to develop "chemistry".

Last edited by Puck U: 07-25-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 09:43 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Looking around the league at 2nd line centers....Stoll is definitely the skill level as some of these guys. I think he'll do fine.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
When I questioned the Oilers board, they said Stoll and Smyth hadn't ... Comrie and Wieght ... so IF Stoll ever centered Smyth I doubt it was enough to develop "chemistry".
Yeah, Smyth was on the 1st line, and Stoll ain't no first liner!

Smyth/Stoll/Brown sounds great in theory but I think Smyth will have more & better scoring opportunities playing with Kopitar. Does Stoll even hit the net?

Handzus 18-24=42pts -7 32PIM 7ppg 1SH 4gwg 2otgoals 54.5 FO%

Stoll 18-23=41pts -7 68PIM 10ppg 0 sh 1gwg 0 otgoals 57.2 FO%

Handzus should be our 2nd line centerman. Played tougher minutes, had lesser linemates, and still racked up a decent amount of points. Upgrade Simmonds to Dustin Brown, slide Frolov in there, and you have a unit that can play against the opposition's top line while being a legit scoring threat.

Which leaves us with this:
Smyth - Kopitar - Williams, with Johnson - Doughty firing bombs from the point.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 01:50 AM
ean

Never in Stoll's career has he shown that he has the skill or playmaking ability to be a capable 2nd line center. Nearly all of his offense comes from powerplay. That is not a knock on him, he does a lot of good things for this team and would make a great 3rd line center, but if he is to be the Kings 2nd line center, then we are in trouble. Both him and Handzus are fringe 2nd/3rd line centers with versatility on PP and PK and have solid contracts, which is why I don't think 1 of them will be with us in the near future.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Both him and Handzus are fringe 2nd/3rd line centers with versatility on PP and PK and have solid contracts, which is why I don't think 1 of them will be with us in the near future.
I realize you meant that one of them will be traded in the near future but I think the Kings are perfectly content to let the contracts run out. When the contracts are up hopefully two of Lewis, Loktionov, or Schenn will be able to fill the void. I love the idea of Lewis on the fourth line this year and next to learn how to be a capable second or third liner by the time Handzus' contract is up. And once Lewis is promoted from the fourth line you have a spot available for Schenn or Loktionov.

Old
07-26-2009, 12:56 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
I realize you meant that one of them will be traded in the near future but I think the Kings are perfectly content to let the contracts run out. When the contracts are up hopefully two of Lewis, Loktionov, or Schenn will be able to fill the void. I love the idea of Lewis on the fourth line this year and next to learn how to be a capable second or third liner by the time Handzus' contract is up. And once Lewis is promoted from the fourth line you have a spot available for Schenn or Loktionov.
Personally, I don't believe that Trevor Lewis projects to be the player that many around these parts believe he will be. To me, he is somewhat of the Teddy Purcell variety. Good size, good skill, but not enough intensity to make it happen at the NHL level.

Old
07-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Ean, I disagree with you on Lewis though, in fairness, this is highly subjective since we have seen so little of him.

What I saw from Lewis was an innate toughness. A willingness to sacrifice his body. The ability to be in good position without the puck. Lewis struck me as not just capable but also looking for the physical play along the boards as he was neither shy nor hesitant in digging for pucks and bumping players off the puck. I find comparisons, even when I make them, to rarely be perfect but Lewis strikes me as a similar player to Simmonds or a quiet version of Moller.

Purcell's talents are with the puck.

Old
07-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
Personally, I don't believe that Trevor Lewis projects to be the player that many around these parts believe he will be. To me, he is somewhat of the Teddy Purcell variety. Good size, good skill, but not enough intensity to make it happen at the NHL level.
While I disagree with your evaluation of Lewis the Kings still have the same opportunity with Moller. Working a young player in on the fourth line to develop him is never a bad idea.

Old
07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Ean, I disagree with you on Lewis though, in fairness, this is highly subjective since we have seen so little of him.

What I saw from Lewis was an innate toughness. A willingness to sacrifice his body. The ability to be in good position without the puck. Lewis struck me as not just capable but also looking for the physical play along the boards as he was neither shy nor hesitant in digging for pucks and bumping players off the puck. I find comparisons, even when I make them, to rarely be perfect but Lewis strikes me as a similar player to Simmonds or a quiet version of Moller.

Purcell's talents are with the puck.
We will see. You are right, we have not seen enough of him to pass FULL judgment, but these are just my predictions. But also remember, Lewis was not a player DL drafted.

Old
07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
markisonfire

Frolov - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Stoll - Brown
Moller - Handzus - Simmonds
Ivanans - Lewis - Purcell

Greene - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
O'Donnell - Drewiske

Quick
Ersberg

This is how I see the lines going into the season. I think O'Donnell-Drewiske would be a great shutdown defense line. Our top-4 defense is solid. Some possible changes that could work great would be Brown on the left wing with Handzus and Simmonds and bumping Moller or Purcell up to the second line. I think Stoll will do great now that we have a legit top-6.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 04:28 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
We will see. You are right, we have not seen enough of him to pass FULL judgment, but these are just my predictions. But also remember, Lewis was not a player DL drafted.
Yes he was. He was chosen with the pick we got from MIN in the Demitra trade. A trade that wa smade to pick Lewis before the Flyers did. He was a guy that Philly was high on and had had DL scouting when he worked for them.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

kingpest19 beat me to it.

Old
07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Yes he was. He was chosen with the pick we got from MIN in the Demitra trade. A trade that wa smade to pick Lewis before the Flyers did. He was a guy that Philly was high on and had had DL scouting when he worked for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
kingpest19 beat me to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdYZXWsfIYE

Fast forward to the end where they interview Deano.

Old
07-26-2009, 07:33 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

i expect improvement from both Stoll and Kopitar, since neither will have to play with Calder

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:28 PM
VictoryRose

yeeaahh....you might want to revisit Lewis' few games in LA. quite a bit more intensity than teddy bear, better three zone, complete game, etc.

that said, he's probably not going to be the second line center on a playoff team.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munnn View Post
Yeah, Smyth was on the 1st line, and Stoll ain't no first liner!

Smyth/Stoll/Brown sounds great in theory but I think Smyth will have more & better scoring opportunities playing with Kopitar. Does Stoll even hit the net?

Handzus 18-24=42pts -7 32PIM 7ppg 1SH 4gwg 2otgoals 54.5 FO%

Stoll 18-23=41pts -7 68PIM 10ppg 0 sh 1gwg 0 otgoals 57.2 FO%

Handzus should be our 2nd line centerman. Played tougher minutes, had lesser linemates, and still racked up a decent amount of points. Upgrade Simmonds to Dustin Brown, slide Frolov in there, and you have a unit that can play against the opposition's top line while being a legit scoring threat.

Which leaves us with this:
Smyth - Kopitar - Williams, with Johnson - Doughty firing bombs from the point.
I like Handzus on 2nd too.
Smyth/Kopitar/Brown
Frolov/Handzus/Williams
XXXXX/Stoll/Simmonds
Clune/Lewis/Moller

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 11:13 PM
AStammer7*

Stoll 2nd Liner...for Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I do say the second line will be Smyth-Stoll-Brown. It makes so much sense. I think Brown will really step up this year playing with Smyth and learning from him, not only as a leader but also getting the garbage goals.
Jarret Stoll is a gritty,good all round player. He's defensively sound but more importantly he'll win key faceoffs. However he isn't the long-term answer. That position will eventually fall to Brayden Schenn.When Schenn breaks in(2010-11) it will be as a third liner. After some time,perhaps a year he'll assume and take over the second Line centre position for the next 10-15 years and he'll push Kopitar...Stoll has skills but is probably best suited for the third line(until a youngster can fill the slot) maybe Andrei Loktionov...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
AStammer7*

Purcell Will Step It Up Or Be Gone!

[QUOTE=markisonfire;20562660]Frolov - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Stoll - Brown
Moller - Handzus - Simmonds
Ivanans - Lewis - Purcell

I see you have TPurcell as a 4th liner. Lombardi has said that if Purcell doesn't cut as a top 6 he'll be swapped. Personally I think the Kings need some size on the 4th line...or someone with some intensity...

PS Smyth and Brown will flip flop LW and RW positions with both coming off the wing with a better shooting angle... Like your 3rd and 1st line completely...and think Lewis has earned a spot from his 2nd year improvement in Manchester...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Chruceg

At first glance this will seem crazy so please hear me out ...

My knee jerk reaction to the 2nd line center position was the same as everybody else. The job belongs to Stoll by default. He's killer in the face off circle, booming shot, meshes so well with Smyth and Brown etc. However I feel we have all (myself included) overlooked one player who can make a serious run at this position.

His name is Oscar Moller.

Let's look at the numbers. At the age of 19 Oscar put up 15 points over forty games. Stoll at the age of 19 was busy not being signed by Calgary putting up 66 points in Major Juniors over forty two games. In Stoll's first full season in the NHL, at the age of 22 mind you, he put up 21 points in 68 games. If Moller were to have played the whole season it's likely he would have finished somewhere between 25 and 30 points. Moller did this playing only 14 minutes a game while the majority of the time he was being pushed around like middle school girl in boys varsity game. Stoll scored his rookie points in the frame of a young man getting roughly the same amount of minutes.

I don't think anybody here believes that Moller's upside is Stoll. I would venture to say that Oscar has an excellent chance to put up 40+ points next season getting only third line minutes. If he can get top six minutes he's liable to put up near fifty points next season. I think those extra ten points are significant considering the Kings gave up 27 more goals than they scored. I also feel like the Kings are on the cusp of the playoffs this year. Missing the playoffs would be painful but not the end of the world. Having Moller develop into a true 2C could go a long way in helping the Kings lock down a playoff spot in the 10-11 season.

Lastly, my plan for Stoll is to move him to the 3L creating an excellent defensive line with good speed on the wings and three players who aren't afraid of getting their noses dirty.

The only significant drawback to this is that this wastes Stoll's single greatest skill, face offs. Throw in the fact that Moller won only 43% of his face offs and this could be ... problematic.

Alright ... flame away.

Old
07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
markisonfire

The problem with Purcell is that I can't see him beating out Brown or Williams for a top-6 right wing spot. What is wrong with having a potent 4th line? If Purcell played left wing, I could see something like this...

Purcell-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Frolov-Handzus-Simmonds
Moller-Lewis-xxx

The Kings could potentially have no "top" lines, just three very even lines that can do a lot of damage. The fourth line could consist of pesky players, high energy, whatever TM wants to roll.

Ideally, I would want our lines to look like this.

Frolov-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Moller-Brown
Stoll-Handzus-Simmonds (Stoll and Handzus switch taking faceoffs on their bad sides)

It is interesting, the Kings have Brandon Segal, John Zeiler, Brad Richardson, and Corey Elkins listed on the official roster.

Also, if Drewiske switched from #44 to #4, our defense would have jersey numbers of...
02 - Matt Greene
03 - Jack Johnson
04 - Davis Drewiske
05 - Peter Harrold
06 - Sean O'Donnell
07 - Rob Scuderi
08 - Drew Doughty

Sweet.

Also, the two biggest question marks I see for the '09-'10 Kings team is the fourth line and a 3rd line left wing.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote