HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How smart of a player was Mikael Samuelsson

Old
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Statements like this always crack me up. A "decent" third line player? Yeah. Look around the league and see how many players have 3rd liners who can score 20-20. I'd bet solid money that there aren't 5 teams in this league that their 7th forward scoring 40+ points.

Sammy is a phenomenal 3rd line player, and a weak 2nd line player.

And the "charmin soft" accusation as hyperbole if I ever saw it. I guess averaging 83 hits in the past 2 seasons makes you soft.

Wow 1 hit a game? You know that's a joke for a guy his size right? Noted tough guys like chad larose and Mike Ribero more hits than Sammy

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:51 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWingIt19 View Post
Wow 1 hit a game? You know that's a joke for a guy his size right? Noted tough guys like chad larose and Mike Ribero more hits than Sammy

Sammy hits more then Ryan Kesler and Iginla.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 04:18 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWingIt19 View Post
And he had more hits than softies like Mike Knuble, George Parros, Colby Armstrong, Ryan Suter, Ryan Kesler, Jarome Iginla...

92 hits on a "save your body for the playoffs" team like the Red Wings is anything but soft.

But, since you statistically that a hit per game is terrible, then I guess 75% of the NHL is buttercream soft.

And, by the way, why did you use Chad Larose as a comparison? Larose is a grinder, so he should have more hits than Samuelsson...

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 05:26 PM
shveik

Quote:
Statements like this always crack me up. A "decent" third line player? Yeah. Look around the league and see how many players have 3rd liners who can score 20-20. I'd bet solid money that there aren't 5 teams in this league that their 7th forward scoring 40+ points.

Sammy is a phenomenal 3rd line player, and a weak 2nd line player.
If he had gotten his 40 pts on his own merit, really chugging along on the 3rd line, with 3rd line linemates, he'd be a phenomenal 3rd liner. That certainly wasn't the case with him. As it is, he only had 3 pts more than Holmstrom (in almost 30 more games!). And Holmstrom at this stage of his career shouldn't play outside PP.

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:37 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik View Post
If he had gotten his 40 pts on his own merit, really chugging along on the 3rd line, with 3rd line linemates, he'd be a phenomenal 3rd liner. That certainly wasn't the case with him. As it is, he only had 3 pts more than Holmstrom (in almost 30 more games!). And Holmstrom at this stage of his career shouldn't play outside PP.
Holmstrom certainly is a great comparison, considering how hes been Datsyuk's right-hand man for the past 3 years.

And if Samuelsson was getting straight 3rd line minutes with 3rd line players all the time, and got 40 points, he'd be a great 2nd liner.

Really, talking to Wings fans about the Samuelssons and Hudlers of the team is like talking to the kids of Malibu about how embarassing it is to be caught in a Ford Mustang.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'd consider putting Sammy with the Sedins. They are great at going down low and doing the grunt work, and Sammy's best when he can just set up somewhere out in front and throw pucks at the net. He's strong enough defensively to not hurt you there and he would stand a solid chance of putting up 20+ goals.
My guess is that Samuelsson was brought in as insurance should Alex Burrows not be able to match his totals from last season, and to just add overall depth to the RW position. He'll likely get a lot of ice-time on the Sedin's wing on the PP.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Ziostilon

those that are familiar with Jan Bulis. Detroit fans sure make Sammy sounds a bit like him.

so let me get this right:

Samuelsson has bad shot selection
has a hard shot, but little accuracy
has the mindset to shoot first and not look for open linemates
makes hopeper passes, hoping it'd get to the receiver. rather than a legitimate skill pass

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:33 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
those that are familiar with Jan Bulis. Detroit fans sure make Sammy sounds a bit like him.

makes hopeper passes, hoping it'd get to the receiver. rather than a legitimate skill pass
That is pretty much him in a nutshell... Glad he is gone. Now maybe we can get a real PP QB back there.

zetterberg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 09:06 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
That is pretty much him in a nutshell... Glad he is gone. Now maybe we can get a real PP QB back there.
Further illustrating one of Babcock's glaring blindspots. Willy had to get traded away to be yanked from the point and Sammy had to move on for double the pay in Vancouver. Thank Gord we don't have any more middling right-handed forwards hanging around...

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 09:48 PM
RedLeader

vCash: 700
Quote:

In addition he has good work ethic, dives and has a nack for some clutch goals in playoffs.

RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 10:15 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Further illustrating one of Babcock's glaring blindspots. Willy had to get traded away to be yanked from the point and Sammy had to move on for double the pay in Vancouver. Thank Gord we don't have any more middling right-handed forwards hanging around...
Your forgetting that lightest of a chance of potential that Jeremy Williams makes the team.

Rafalski-Lidstrom
Kronwall - Ericsson

I dont get how hard it is to get it right. In the playoffs ericsson scored a few goals from the point and the kid has a cannon of a shot, a cannon. Something Detroit has NOT seen since Jiri Fischer (yes i went there). Throw Kronwall on the right side and Ericsson on the inside track for one-timers and you probably could see a good few goals from him on the PP. Hopefully Babcock's lovefest with him will move him up to that role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
My guess is that Samuelsson was brought in as insurance should Alex Burrows not be able to match his totals from last season, and to just add overall depth to the RW position. He'll likely get a lot of ice-time on the Sedin's wing on the PP.
More then likely he will do what he did in Detroit. My buddy and I came to this conclusion.

Year 1: Have a great season, show a scorers touch that will please Nuck fans and draw their attention. Probably 20/20-25/40-45 pts.

Year 2: Shows the same signs but pisses people off a little from time to time with his shooting selections and stupid plays.

Year 3: If he is playing the point on the PP, then you will not miss him once he is gone.

Deep down I wish him the best but he is just one of those players who will just get on your nerves from time to time.

zetterberg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 05:29 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Your forgetting that lightest of a chance of potential that Jeremy Williams makes the team.

Rafalski-Lidstrom
Kronwall - Ericsson

I dont get how hard it is to get it right. In the playoffs ericsson scored a few goals from the point and the kid has a cannon of a shot, a cannon. Something Detroit has NOT seen since Jiri Fischer (yes i went there). Throw Kronwall on the right side and Ericsson on the inside track for one-timers and you probably could see a good few goals from him on the PP. Hopefully Babcock's lovefest with him will move him up to that role.
The last two goals the Wings scored were a direct result of E's shot. Nick was next to him both times.

Let Nik and Raf run amock on the other PP pairing.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
During his time in Detroit, do you think Mikael Samuelsson had a high hockey sense?

For example: Does he look for the pass, or does the player making the pass have to look for him

Did he become a better and smarter player after playing in Detroit
He's not the "smartest" offensively, that's his problem, he has a great hard wrister, he would score more with better timeing. Of course though if the other two forwards is good at jumping on rebounds it's never wrong to take a shot.

He's strangly enough at his best when under pressure like when it's playoffs.

Personally I think he will get 20-25 goals with Vancover next season. Which is decent of course, but personally I hope for better scoring still, that might get Sweden a good line during the Olympics (with the Sedins).

Last edited by Tomas W: 07-24-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 07:43 AM
kcunac

Quote:
Really, talking to Wings fans about the Samuelssons and Hudlers of the team is like talking to the kids of Malibu about how embarassing it is to be caught in a Ford Mustang.
Totally agree. Good stuff.

kcunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Snauen*

Quote:
How smart of a player was Mikael Samuelsson?
Samuelsson does the smartest thing an elite player can do. He betters himself, his statistics and scores clutch goals in the playoffs. That is what every coach, fan and teammate like to see, I guess. SMART Indeed!

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Marky9er

Say what you will but atleast Sammy hits the net and not the glass.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Say what you will but atleast Sammy hits the net and not the glass.
Errr, well Sammy also had a penchant for hitting his own players... in the face. But who knows? You say tomato, I say IN THE FACE!

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
Totally agree. Good stuff.
Oh boy you are in for a frustrating couple of seasons. Their are a reason Detroit fans hate Sammy, and whatever the reasons are, you will feel the same way after a while.

My opinion on Sammy, by far the most annoying player to watch. Hudler and Filpulla were great to watch together but Sammy would ruin whatever they would start with a stupid pass or bad shot. Sammy racked up a lot of his points playing the point on the PP too. He is not as good offensively as his stats say at all. And even on the PP he was very frustrating to watch great chances get throw away by a wrister from the point that don't even get to the net. Defensively though he was pretty decent. He keep the 3rd line in check defensively with Filp but held them back offensively. And as for Sammy being soft, he is soft for his size no doubt. He is can be physical though and he agitates out their. He is ALWAYS throwing haymakers out their and never drops the gloves because he tapes his gloves on. Sammy is a decent 3rd liner who can play point on PP when their are no options left.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote