HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sneakers for street hockey

Old
07-25-2009, 01:39 PM
TheZherdev

vCash: 500
Sneakers for street hockey

Hey guys, so I have been playing a lot of street hockey lately, joined a league even. My old sneakers have worn out to the point that the insoles in one of the shoe has a gaping hole. Time to get new sneakers. Im not sure what type of sneakers would be good for hockey. Running? Training? cross-training? etc. Also I'm looking for a sneaker that will allow me to shorten the radius on my turns. I like to turn quickly and sharply with the ball when I get it so that I can break out quicker or dodge incoming defenders. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Enzo Gorlomi

Eh... I'm pretty much beyond positive that, unlike skates, sneakers won't really give you any edge or advantage in any aspect of your hockey playing. Just get a comfortable pair with good support in the ankles and arches.

Enzo Gorlomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Saved*

I already touched on this in another thread, but in my many years experience selling footwear, you'll probably, pending a proper fit, be looking at the Nike Free Trainer's. Those will be your best bet.

If you can't find those, look for Nike Edge Trainers.

Have fun.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Eh... I'm pretty much beyond positive that, unlike skates, sneakers won't really give you any edge or advantage in any aspect of your hockey playing. Just get a comfortable pair with good support in the ankles and arches.
Not true at all. I've already explained this in another thread, quite in-depth mind you, that a shoe that is designed for a specific purpose, such as the Nike FT7.0's, you'll be able to play to your maximum ability. They're designed in mind for pivots, sharp turns, acceleration, and much more. Not all shoes can boast the same. Try playing a game of floor hockey in a pair of FT7.0 and you'll know what I mean.

Old
07-25-2009, 10:47 PM
mopee

sneakers for street hockey

I tried different brands like Nike (not the FT 7.0) and Adidas. I finally settled on New Balance. The MX840BK model gave me what I was looking for. Turning, stopping and acceleration. Wonderful shoe. The guy at the New Balance store said that part of the tread was from recycled tires. The grip was the most amazing thing I had experienced in a shoe. I felt like I could stop on a dime. It was also great leverage for the odd body contact I encountered with bigger and heavier players. I play on a smooth surface of an indoor basketball court with friends at a community centre. Not quite "street" but still ball hockey.

mopee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Hyperkookeez*

addidas or any brand of indoor soccer shoes work great

good grip on pavement, increased mobility compared to regular runners, good ankle support, and lightweight.

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopee View Post
I tried different brands like Nike (not the FT 7.0) and Adidas. I finally settled on New Balance. The MX840BK model gave me what I was looking for. Turning, stopping and acceleration. Wonderful shoe. The guy at the New Balance store said that part of the tread was from recycled tires. The grip was the most amazing thing I had experienced in a shoe. I felt like I could stop on a dime. It was also great leverage for the odd body contact I encountered with bigger and heavier players. I play on a smooth surface of an indoor basketball court with friends at a community centre. Not quite "street" but still ball hockey.
Those would definitely be great for playing hockey.

Old
07-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Anything besides steel toe and anything heavy and you'll be fine.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 12:32 AM
ClicheGuevara

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-LA-GEAR-WAYN...3%3A1|294%3A50

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote