TRADE: Dallas receives Auld from Ottawa

Old
07-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
So the Stars flipped their 7th round pick this year for San Jose's 6th next year, then flip that for Auld... I think thats a pretty good return for a 7th round pick.
Auld for a 7th...o God. We just lost the next Zetterberg.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:04 AM
beardedgraf

I like it for now

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:18 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 720
This is not a player I wanted to see coming to one of "my teams." Consistency is a big issue here. When he's on his game, he's not as good as Turco, but when he's off, he's WAY worse. Has a tendency to let in soft goals on nights where they will kill you. I was very surprised when the Canucks first called up Auld. Can't believe he's still in the big leagues. It's worked out in a way, as the Moose have been blessed with a string of solid goaltenders ever since.

Too bad the Stars couldn't have landed Justin Pogge, Kari Lehtonen, maybe even Karri Ramo.

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
This is not a player I wanted to see coming to one of "my teams." Consistency is a big issue here. When he's on his game, he's not as good as Turco, but when he's off, he's WAY worse. Has a tendency to let in soft goals on nights where they will kill you. I was very surprised when the Canucks first called up Auld. Can't believe he's still in the big leagues. It's worked out in a way, as the Moose have been blessed with a string of solid goaltenders ever since.

Too bad the Stars couldn't have landed Justin Pogge, Kari Lehtonen, maybe even Karri Ramo.
Lehtonen is a starting goaltender and probably wouldn't come to Dallas to play behind Turco, and those other two guys suck.

generally backup goaltenders are somewhat inconsistent, it's kind of the reason they're backups and not starters

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:49 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Ottawa fans reported that soft goals rarely, if ever, were a problem for Auld. Pogge is the King of Soft Goals. So uh, yeah.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Pretty sure Ramo signed to play in the KHL, didn't he?

Or was that Helenius?

And yeah, Pogge's crap, I've seen him enough times on TV with the Leafs, and live with the Marlies.....not that Rask will be a world-beater, but the Leafs most likely signed Gustavsson to take the job Pogge had been trying to get.

07-09-2009, 11:51 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Ramo.

He smartly realized that competing with Mike Smith is futile.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:03 AM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
I'm excited to see how Smith does this next season.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:36 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 720
Kari only played in 46 games last year, so I was wondering if maybe he'd consider being a backup... butyeah, behind Marty he'd probably only see 7 games lol.

I threw Pogge in there because he should get older and better. He has had international success.

What's odd is that when Auld plays in the NHL and AHL in the same season, he is average in the AHL and great in the NHL. When he doesn't play in both leagues in the same season, his NHL numbers drop. Too bad we can't get away with sending him down!

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:02 AM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
When he's on his game, he's not as good as Turco, but when he's off, he's WAY worse. Has a tendency to let in soft goals on nights where they will kill you.
It's no different then Turco's soft five hole goals, which weren't the defenses fault last year like one person will say. Auld can allow those goals at a far cheaper price then Turco. Auld is far better positionally then Turco. Turco's downfall will continue, because his positioning in the net was always poor, he relies on athletic ability as opposed to positioning.

Quote:
Pogge and Ramo aren't as good as Auld. Lehtonen is better then Auld, when he's actually healthy which is rare.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Chevy Chase

Auld's strength is his size. I believe he is 6-3 and is quite athletic for his size. He is a great first shot goalie who gives precious little to shoot at. As long as he has help in the crease, he's a gem for a #2 goalie.

Also, as others have noted, he's a great team guy. There were no media or lockerroom issues backing up a very, very poor goalie in Martin Gerber. Gerber was garbage for Ottawa, but Auld bided his time and was very solid for good stretches in the schedule.

Chevy Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Dave Karp

Auld will be a great back-up. He's not suited to be a #1 guy but he's efficient enough to keep him in the NHL. Auld for a 7th rounder is a great trade, IMO. It's doubtful he'll be with the Stars for the long-term which is perfect with Bachman coming up the system. Pogge isn't an NHL goalie yet so there would be no sense getting him when the Stars needed a NHL calibre back-up for the year.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:

This is a ridiculous post, as a goalie living in Ottawa, watching most Senators games this past season you are so far off. I will admit he was somewhat inconsistent but that was simply a back up goaltender being overworked. He is not intended to play big minutes behind a weak defensive team and he was the sole bright spot in Ottawa many nights.

As a Stars and Senators fan I am very happy the Stars acquired him, he brings a great attitude to the locker room and I'm sure him and Marty will get along very well. He also performs when he is called upon.

As for Pogge, he will never be NHL calibre, hard to believe you still think that and want him over Auld, Kari Lehtonen is a starting goalie with a 4+ million dollar price tag (and might cost a little more than a 7th rounder for us), and as for Ramo, he is, in no light, a better goalie than Auld.

What confuses me is how someone can question his consistency with a Carey Price avatar

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 12:08 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:

You don't even have a clue about Auld!

DJB is online now   Reply With Quote