HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Demon Hot Shot Power Puck

Old
07-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Demon Hot Shot Power Puck

http://www.demonhotshot.com/

Okay so donGjohnson here and I were discussing this thing in a PM because I need an ACCURATE way of getting a shot speed for my slapshot.

It is something I have always wondered and wish to know before I am too old .... I already think I have lost a little bit though I blew one from the point last night for a goal which had some zip. About 6 to 10 inches off the ice and found a hole.

Anyhew ... this thing looks like it is a good item but I would like to know from any of YOU fine HF folk who have used or currently use one.

it seems to be mail order only unless you live in Canada and can get them at a Canadian Tire dealer.

Any comments about these at all?

I would like to thank donGjohnson for bringing this item to my attention first of all. I remember a Bobby Hull Power Puck which used a mechanical thing in it to lock from your blade impact or when it hit the object you shot at.

This was a first time I see an electronic one that claims to be as accurate as a radar gun.

I would like to know if it stops at a certain speed or if one cracks 100+ if it would register.

I have guessed my slapshot to be over 90 for sure and maybe sometimes over 100 but have no way of knowing and I also feel like I shot harder when I was younger.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Hockeyfan68

I found a couple of vids too ...

Old
07-25-2009, 01:31 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

I have guessed my slapshot to be over 90 for sure and maybe sometimes over 100 but have no way of knowing and I also feel like I shot harder when I was younger.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:44 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZherdev View Post
He does shoot hard, I saw the video from when his bicep was injured and it was still good, but not 100 I don't think. Anyway, yeah, this item is kind of a conundrum because it will sometimes give wacky results but you will find your true speed after a while.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Saved*

In my limited experience, it isn't that accurate. I apparently consistently shoot 80-90 with it, when I know for fact my shot isn't that fast.

Why does it matter? Do you want to be able to tell your grand kids that you used to be able to shoot 100 mph? lol

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 06:55 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
In my limited experience, it isn't that accurate. I apparently consistently shoot 80-90 with it, when I know for fact my shot isn't that fast.

Why does it matter? Do you want to be able to tell your grand kids that you used to be able to shoot 100 mph? lol
It does often give wacky results but you will eventually find your true speed, if you really want to. It's also a pain in the butt to set up but a helluva lot cheaper than a radar gun.

Old
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
It does often give wacky results but you will eventually find your true speed, if you really want to. It's also a pain in the butt to set up but a helluva lot cheaper than a radar gun.
Cheap is true. However, be careful when you buy it off their site. It's going to cost you an arm and a leg...I know. However, I found out that they sell them to Canadien Tire way cheap. You can pick it up from Canadien Tire at 1/2 off from their web site. Just food for thought!

Head coach

07-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
He does shoot hard, I saw the video from when his bicep was injured and it was still good, but not 100 I don't think. Anyway, yeah, this item is kind of a conundrum because it will sometimes give wacky results but you will find your true speed after a while.
No for sure not 100 in that video .... I wasn't shooting full tilt yet and i was using a woody in it .... a cheap woody. I paid $7 on clearance the shaft is cheap plywood. i used it for the ABS blade as I was shooting off of a particle board plank and didn't want to ruin a composite blade. I however think after using it that a composite would be okay though.

I am healed up know and should make a video with me shooting as hard as I can. The only shot in that video close to how hard I can shoot is right about at the 30 second mark. The rest were holding it back shots as to not reinjure.

Like you said with the puck thing after a lot of shots a pattern of truth should develop as for mph accuracy. It would give me an idea at least.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 07-25-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old
07-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Cheap is true. However, be careful when you buy it off their site. It's going to cost you an arm and a leg...I know. However, I found out that they sell them to Canadien Tire way cheap. You can pick it up from Canadien Tire at 1/2 off from their web site. Just food for thought!

Head coach
I might try eBay or something since I have NO canadian Tire outlets here in Maine that I know of. Nice to know ... and thanks for the info. i searched or their wesbite and found the darned thing on their website for sale for $30 (canadian $$$ I am assuming). http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1248572550735

Old
07-25-2009, 11:30 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Most of the guys on my team can shoot (slap shot) 75-90. One guy on our team can shoot 95 mph. It has been tested with a gun. I think most people would be surprised how hard you can shoot.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:50 PM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Most of the guys on my team can shoot (slap shot) 75-90. One guy on our team can shoot 95 mph. It has been tested with a gun. I think most people would be surprised how hard you can shoot.
Anyone know what speed the puck has to be where you can't see the puck coming or it's visibly hard to track when shot from the blue line or top of the red circle closest to blue line?

Most times I've played with defencemen who can shoot the puck hard but I can see it coming when I'm screening the goalie and looking for a tip. However there are some who can shoot it so hard that I can't see it coming.

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:53 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayer03 View Post
Anyone know what speed the puck have to be shot from the blue line or top of the red circle closest to blue line when you can can't see the puck coming?

Most times I've played with defencemen who can shoot the puck hard but I can see it coming when I'm screening the goalie and looking for a tip. However there are some who can shoot it so hard that I can't see it coming.
98 mph.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 12:41 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post

I understand how he feels though. The funny thing is, the amateur from the hot shot video has almost the same exact shot as I do, speed, technique, everything. The only difference is he was skating into his shots but I don't. I also wanna take a slap shot and test it with a super windup, literally all the way to the max, because I never go back more than like 80-85%. I also do NOT have an aggressive weight transfer or finish. I'm going to see if I can break 75...

Old
07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I understand how he feels though. The funny thing is, the amateur from the hot shot video has almost the same exact shot as I do, speed, technique, everything. The only difference is he was skating into his shots but I don't. I also wanna take a slap shot and test it with a super windup, literally all the way to the max, because I never go back more than like 80-85%. I also do NOT have an aggressive weight transfer or finish. I'm going to see if I can break 75...
That is the other thing to point out with my shooting, definitely anyone shoots harder skating into one to rip than standing still. In fact I do not think I have ever broken a pane of plexiglas just shooting from a standstill position. I am always coming into one at a decent speed.

I should also add that I have not broken one yet this year and have noticed a bit of a loss of zip on my slapshot after turning 40. Maybe I hit the net more now lmao! I switched to composite sticks in December and that helped in the better release for that "sweet spot" and I swear it feels like I am shooting harder with composites than wood. It feels like it, it doesn't mean I am though a lot of NHL coaches swear that people like Al McInnis who shot 100+ WOULD BE SHOOTING 120 with today's sticks. I heard that right from Coach Ron Wilson's mouth on the NHL network and he was serious about that.

My time to register 100+ has probably gone by while I was a bit younger or I may still be getting around there. It is tough telling which is why I would like something reliable enough to give me a good enough idea and figured I would ask you guys about it. It feels like some I shoot are 90+ anyway to me and they are not as hard as I used to be able to shoot. I'll have to gauge my old shot that way I think just because I am getting older .... you can't do much to cheat age even if you muscle build you still lose reflex. catching up to one timers is more of a chore these days too which sucks to be honest with you.

I know I shoot harder than just about everyone I have ever played with in men's leagues and in highschool for sure. And as I said my other type shots are average like everyone else though not too shabby. My slapshot has always stood out and has that sound like when a guy can really hit a baseball hard. You notice it you know?

I did play with one guy last year who played Junior hockey and his shot was about as good as mine and he shot better than his two friends who also played junior hockey. I should add also he was half my size and he had really good mechanics. Technique / mechanics is everything with shooting.

It made me feel good obviously that some Jamook like me who is an average player really and an amature can put up a seriously awesome slapshot.

So to answer the guy who asks if I want to brag to Grandchildren .... well yeah why not? What is wrong with that ... there is nothing wrong with feeling good about something you know you do better than most people and it came naturally. I never really had to work at a slapshot like I had to with my other shots.

I see guys shoot wicked wristshots and I often tell a guy on my team something like "Wow I wish I had a wrister like that, man that was awesome".

I know one thing for sure i WILL be making a new video using a composite and now that I am healed i will rip them as hard as I can and see what they look like.

The video I posted above shows me using a slow deliberate followthrough as to not hurt myself again and the windup is slow for the same reason. I will definitely post a full tilt as hard as I can shoot video when we do not have any rain which hasn't been very often here in Maine lately this summer.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 07-26-2009 at 06:28 PM.