HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Transactions of the Gainey Regime 2003-04 to 2009-10

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2009, 12:06 PM
  #76
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
No thats based on the lack of being able to draft and develop 1st line talent. Mention other teams that acquired a whole new 1st line this year because they couldn't develop a single 1st line player worth keeping. A.Kost could be his single saving grace and that makes him a failure.
We acquired a whole scoring line because we let go a whole scoring line (Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev).

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:18 PM
  #77
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Gainey doesn't get enough credit for the good, and takes way too much flak for the bad. Here's a great move no one has mentioned yet:

July 30 - Canadiens trade 2005 2nd round pick (Marc Andre Cliche, D) and 2005 3rd round pick (Brodie Dupont) to New York Rangers for 2nd round pick (*Guillaume Latendresse, F).

CGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:43 PM
  #78
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
We acquired a whole scoring line because we let go a whole scoring line (Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev).
Exactly, 5 years in and we are starting from the beginning again. We've managed to develop zero 1st line talent ourselves, really impressive.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:46 PM
  #79
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Gainey doesn't get enough credit for the good, and takes way too much flak for the bad. Here's a great move no one has mentioned yet:

July 30 - Canadiens trade 2005 2nd round pick (Marc Andre Cliche, D) and 2005 3rd round pick (Brodie Dupont) to New York Rangers for 2nd round pick (*Guillaume Latendresse, F).
Yeah, thats a nice trade that hasnt been mentioned yet. I think its safe to say that gui is going to have a long nhl career after watching him the last few seasons. The question is whether he will be a 3rd liner or a 2nd liner. I think he's a tweener and I also like him because he brings a dynamic to the club that is still lacking alot... that is a big guy who also plays big with relatively soft hands.

As for evaluating Gainey, leave it until after this season. In the end, his time as a montreal GM will be defined by the play of Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, and Spacek

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 03:29 PM
  #80
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
these are the points i was commenting on...





and somehow from that you get to talking about "guaranteed cup for us"...

you're failing to make any sense or any relevant comments.

2-3 goals a game? not with pleks, nor with Crosby, nor with any other team or players in the league... what a useless comment.

what is it you are trying to say? because Plekanec had a hard time in his first playoff series, Hossa would have been of no value to us?
Do you forget about the other 20 or so guys on the team?

Koivu and Kovalev certainly have earned the moniker "playoff warrior" in their careers.

If you can't see that Hossa would have been a huge addition to our team, and definitely would have added another dimension to the series against the flyers (notice that not once did i say having him would "guarantee" a different final result in that series, let alone a cup win...) then your understanding of hockey is quite different than mine.

Why do you think Gainey tried pretty damn hard to get him?

sarcasm works much better when you actually have something remotely intelligent to say, or at the very least are capable of staying on topic.
Considering you have zero argument on this particular subject, might want to avoid these...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 03:56 PM
  #81
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Considering you have zero argument on this particular subject, might want to avoid these...
argument =

- an exchange of diverging or opposite views,
- a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong



Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:37 PM
  #82
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
argument =

- an exchange of diverging or opposite views,
- a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong


I see...

- great view : with a better player, we MAY have done better... really ? how much toughts you put into this ? and by doing better, and are you talking about turning a losing in 5 into a winning in in 6 or 7 or something ?

surprised you're not crying cause we didnt get Guerin the past deadline or something... or any other player traded at the deadline, you know...

- so far, you failed. At least you tried.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
  #83
Astroboy
Registered User
 
Astroboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Very nice! Lots of great information there. Thanks for posting.

I clicked on Chris Higgins, and found this link.


http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2009/...-chris-higgins

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 09:49 PM
  #84
Hades
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Gainey's best move? Guy Carbonneau

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 01:42 AM
  #85
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I see...

- great view : with a better player, we MAY have done better... really ? how much toughts you put into this ? and by doing better, and are you talking about turning a losing in 5 into a winning in in 6 or 7 or something ?

surprised you're not crying cause we didnt get Guerin the past deadline or something... or any other player traded at the deadline, you know...

- so far, you failed. At least you tried.
quite the thick fog in your part of the world isn't there...

a poster commented that having hossa would not have helped change the series against the flyers...

i disagree, arguing that an offensive player of his caliber would have made a big difference (pretty obvious, as you point out, but he didn't see it that way)...

pretty simple debate, nothing really outrageous on either end.

and then you chyme in with nonsensical and overly dramatic claims, and completely misguided and failed attempts at sarcasm that serve no apparent purpose.

ever here of the expression: when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging?
would be useful for you, but i suspect someone would have to sit down and explain it to you, and i don't have the patience.

incidentally, yes, i do think that a player like Guerin would have been a very solid addition to our team, especially at the small cost it took to get him. I'm sure that the Pens are glad they ended up with him.

crying though? nah, it's just a hockey team, some of us are capable of talking about the team without getting so overcome by emotions that we lose the ability to stay on topic or think and speak coherently.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 05:04 AM
  #86
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
quite the thick fog in your part of the world isn't there...

a poster commented that having hossa would not have helped change the series against the flyers...

i disagree, arguing that an offensive player of his caliber would have made a big difference (pretty obvious, as you point out, but he didn't see it that way)...

pretty simple debate, nothing really outrageous on either end.

and then you chyme in with nonsensical and overly dramatic claims, and completely misguided and failed attempts at sarcasm that serve no apparent purpose.

ever here of the expression: when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging?
would be useful for you, but i suspect someone would have to sit down and explain it to you, and i don't have the patience.

incidentally, yes, i do think that a player like Guerin would have been a very solid addition to our team, especially at the small cost it took to get him. I'm sure that the Pens are glad they ended up with him.

crying though? nah, it's just a hockey team, some of us are capable of talking about the team without getting so overcome by emotions that we lose the ability to stay on topic or think and speak coherently.
So, you think we would have won the serie ?

sorry if my 3rd language isnt perfect, How's yours ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:56 AM
  #87
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
So, you think we would have won the serie ?

sorry if my 3rd language isnt perfect, How's yours ?
my 3rd is pretty good, working on my 4th and 5th presently... but you won't ever catch me trying to use sarcasm in any of my weaker languages, because i know chances are that it would just make me look like an idiot.

and I wasn't implying that the way you were saying what you were saying was a problem, my apologies if you took it that way. this is a message board not an english class and it bothers me to no end when people start trying to call others out because of stuff like grammar.

what was incoherent, to me, was how you took simple comments about wether or not a player would have had an impact on a given series and tried to twist them into grandiose statements about winning a cup or "crying" over other moves that were or weren't made... that was completely irrelevant to what was posted, and thus confusing.



Would we have won the series? who knows, heck we might have lost the previous one... anyone who knows sports well, understands that you can never predict results with absolute certainty, let alone speak in absolutes when talking about "what if's".

For the reasons i outlined earlier (all but one of the 5 games in the series decided by one goal -minus empty netters-, and every game being decided late in the 3rd period... plus the fact that we outshot and outchanced them badly in most of the games, but failed to finish, in part because of a hot goalie, in part because our goal scorers choked up) i think it's more than fair to say that a goal scorer of Hossa's caliber could easily have been a difference maker in that series.

to say that having him would not have changed the series at all or that there is no way the habs would have beat the flyers, i think, is wrong... that's all i was debating.


Last edited by Miller Time: 07-26-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:03 AM
  #88
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I would agree and also say the worst move is one he didn't make 2 years ago at the deadline when he tryed to land Hossa,I love Gainey but he should have been more aggressive 2 years ago,we could have been in the finals instead of the Penguins and maybe also have resigned Hossa that we will never know
I am glad he didn't give up a whole lot of assets for Hossa. It was very plain to see that Price was not gonna get this team anywhere, the Philly series was the worst display of playoff goaltending i have ever seen in my life. Hossa would have had no effect on that.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 04:22 PM
  #89
LaurentHou*
 
LaurentHou*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nouvelle-France
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Why Gainey Trade 6th round pick again 7th round pick (peenguins) in 2008.

LaurentHou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.