HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Instead of Gomez, who do you want ?

View Poll Results: Among those over-paid C, who do you want the most ?
Gomez: $7.36 M 119 53.60%
Drury: $7.05 M 3 1.35%
Briere: $6.5 M 19 8.56%
Brad Richards: $7.8 M 81 36.49%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Infliction

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
What? If I'm a center, I'd rather play with Richards than Gomez.
What do you mean..? Richards and Gomez are both centers. Cammalleri plays the wing prominently but can also play center. (Very good face-off man but not as comfortable with the center responsibilities and positioning)

I'm confused as to what you meant with that comment, clarify please.

Infliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 03:50 PM
bib
#believe

Why are there Bruins fans voting for Richards?

http://hfboards.com/poll.php?do=show...s&pollid=40680

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
What do you mean..? Richards and Gomez are both centers. Cammalleri plays the wing prominently but can also play center. (Very good face-off man but not as comfortable with the center responsibilities and positioning)

I'm confused as to what you meant with that comment, clarify please.
I meant "if I'm a winger"

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Infliction

Quote:
I meant "if I'm a winger"
Kk, makes sense.

Infliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:13 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post

They'd rather we have Richards than Gomez probably

FlyingKostitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 05:20 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Could you enlight me on the Bruins fans who are voting for Richards... I see a bunch of habs supporters... why this obsession with them?

...oh and btw MTL-rules, means Montreal-rules

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 07:22 PM
TheCH*

Wow i can't believe Richards isn't winning this poll.

Just goes to show how thick habs goggles are. I guarantee if this poll was conducted this time last month Gomez would not be even close to in the lead.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:50 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post

Just goes to show how thick habs goggles are. I guarantee if this poll was conducted this time last month Gomez would not be even close to in the lead.
Both Richards and Gomez possess excellent, but different skill sets. With the decline of Kovalev, Montreal was in great need a player who could, on a consistent basis, successfully transport a puck into the offensive zone on the power play. For the past 5 years, that was a role that was very effectively filled by Kovalev. When Kovalev, couldn't or wouldn't fill this very vital function, - coupled with the inexplicable decision to not re-sign Streit - the team's power play vanished and the Canadiens became very mediocre. The acquisition of Gomez now fills this obvious void. This result, in itself, doesn't make Gomez a 'better' player than Richards. But in comparative terms, Gomez is a much better fit for the team than Richards. And for making that determination, which this writer fully agrees with, Gainey should be applauded.

That is all.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:56 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Voted Richards, but I kinda over rate him because I like him way more than any of the other players listed. If Briere was healthy, he would be BY FAR the best choice, as he is the best offensively, plus he's a Quebecer, which counts for a little. If he was healthy, he would be near elite, while none of these other players are on that level at all.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:

Probably not, but does that mean people were right before?

Since the lockout, statistically they're pretty close, both in the regular season and playoffs.

Last four years averages (total playoff stats in parenthesis):

GP-74 G-21 A-47 PTS-68 (GP-29 G-9 A-22 PTS-31)

vs

GP-78 G-20 A-49 PTS-68 (GP-37 G-15 A-24 PTS-39)

Last three year averages (total playoffs stats in parenthesis):

GP-71 G-20 A-40 PTS-60 (GP-24 G-6 A-17 PTS-23)

vs

GP-77 G-15 A-48 PTS-63 (GP-28 G-10 A-20 PTS-30)

They're also roughly the same heights and weights (Richards is listed at an inch or so taller, Gomez a few pounds heavier) and there's no huge physical play dimension to either to make a pronounced difference despite their similar statures, and they're five months apart in age. Neither is exactly a Selke candidate, but neither is a liability either, and neither is an Yzerman or Messier in terms of leadership, though Richards probably has the edge there. I don't think they're in completely different classes, at least not to the extent where you're a fool to pick one over the other.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Richards by far, why? Because his contract is up in two years. Thus if he were a bust, we would only have to suffer through two seasons instead of the five we are stick with on Gomez.

After him, I would take Briere. Frankly I do not find his contract that bad. Yes he is overpaid however it is blown way out of proportion. He is a near PPG player, if he did not have as many injuries woes, he would be a solid signing. My only qualm with Briere does not have to do with him at all but the media and Francophones. Due to him being from Quebec... ugh it would be a disaster with the media whining if he wasn't captain. 6.5m cap hit is only 500k up from Cammy and Briere has in the past had a better season.

Gomez comes in next because I refuse to touch Drury's contract. Not that I like Gomez's any better however with Drury you are getting a 100% Saku Koivu. There is absolutely no reason for such a trade.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 12:25 PM
ColdSudds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
I voted for Briere, and that's because he is one of my favorite players.
Briers is the weakest player i have ever seen, maybe he should stick to figure skating, to weak we have 6 of those players allready, we need North American beef, not french Canadian cheese

ColdSudds* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

There's a lot of random people who cheer for other teams voting. Who cares.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
The problem is that sometimes these contracts prevent your team from being competitive and getting to the playoffs in the first place.
It's true yes, but honestly, I think people have become a little too obsessed about cap hits since the salary cap has been put in place. To me, a truly bad contract is when a player takes a good chunk of your cap space while playing so poorly that he cannot fulfil his role and therefore has to be replaced altogether in the lineup for the team to remain competitive.

Fiascos like Theodore, Cheechoo, Yashin (I believe NYI are still paying for that buyout), The Huet/Bulin situation in Chicago, Toscala, Redden, Samsonov (when he was with us), Penner, Niinimaa (yes, painful memories)... Also, remains to be seen, but the potential is there: Rolston, Dipietro, Nylander, Fisher... Some of those are debatable, but you get the idea.

Every single team has at least a couple players not living up to their contracts one year or another, especially the ones who were acquired on the UFA market in a bidding war. It happens, this isn't an exact science. Gomez's contract is not looking good, no denying that, but if he sustains a half decent production during the course of this contract (say 70ish points on average) - and injury history and style of play don't seem to indicate he'll take a drastic dive production wise in the short to mid term future - then it's not ideal, but not catastrophic either. Frankly I was more upset about what we gave to get Gomez than bringing him and his lofty contract on board.

Gomez and Hamrlik to me stand out as the most overpaid on our team, but then you add in guys like Gorges, Markov, Lapierre, Mara and Halak who probably don't make enough for what they can and likely will bring to this team, and it washes off quickly. The importance is for those highly paid guys to step up when it really counts and to continue having a steady flow of young, cheap talent from within. If you have that, you shouldn't be losing sleep over the fact Gomez makes 2M more than he should or Hamrlik 1M over value IMO.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Order of preference:
Richards
Briere
Gomez
Drury

Drury's contract is pretty the worst contract in the league.
my order is pretty much the same, though i'd say Drury/Gomez are equal... both contracts are horrid, and both players bring similar value (though in different ways) to a team. I tend to favor the character/team leader type guys a little more so I'd lean to Drury, but Gomez is obviously the better offensive player and more suited to the "typical" #1 centre role.

no doubt in my mind that Richards is the best choice here. similar player to Gomez as far as play/production go, similar clutch playoff performer, and most importantly, only 2 years left on the terrible contract.

if he meshes well with the team and in the role, great, he's comfortable and you have the ability (and cap space) to re-sign him in two years (and probably for less money, unless he really shines, in which case paying him another huge contract is at least justifiable).

clearly that's better than being stuck with Gomez, sink or swim, for 5 YEARS!!! i don't think people get how long that is to be tied to a burdensome deal of that magnitude, especially for a player that's never really played to that level (i think he got that money more on what they expected him to be able to do, then for what he actually had done).

briere is cheaper, and a more consistent point produce... injuries are a slight issue, but as you pointed out bellow, he has been durable in the past.
Quote:
Briere also played 79 and 81 game seasons prior to his injury-plagued 08-09 campaign.

Briere also happens to be a PPG player on a contract cheaper than Gomez's.

Finally, Briere may have chosen to sign elsewhere, but so did Gomez. We don't even know if he would have considered Montreal. For all intents and purposes, Gomez rejected Montreal just as Briere did. I don't know why people take this so personally. Briere may have rejected us but so did many players.
yup, definitely would prefer briere over gomez...

i think the resentment towards him is pretty funny. He rejected more money and chose the flyers... but that was less money than we OFFERED gomez, who rejected us as well, and signed for the "more money" that we weren't prepared to spend on him... at least not until he was coming off of a 58pt season ??? makes perfect sense

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
Probably not, but does that mean people were right before?

Since the lockout, statistically they're pretty close, both in the regular season and playoffs.

Last four years averages (total playoff stats in parenthesis):

GP-74 G-21 A-47 PTS-68 (GP-29 G-9 A-22 PTS-31)

vs

GP-78 G-20 A-49 PTS-68 (GP-37 G-15 A-24 PTS-39)

Last three year averages (total playoffs stats in parenthesis):

GP-71 G-20 A-40 PTS-60 (GP-24 G-6 A-17 PTS-23)

vs

GP-77 G-15 A-48 PTS-63 (GP-28 G-10 A-20 PTS-30)

They're also roughly the same heights and weights (Richards is listed at an inch or so taller, Gomez a few pounds heavier) and there's no huge physical play dimension to either to make a pronounced difference despite their similar statures, and they're five months apart in age. Neither is exactly a Selke candidate, but neither is a liability either, and neither is an Yzerman or Messier in terms of leadership, though Richards probably has the edge there. I don't think they're in completely different classes, at least not to the extent where you're a fool to pick one over the other.
2 years vs 5 years... and as you showed, they are pretty similar production wise.
heck, at the difference of 3 years, i'd still prefer richards even if he was clearly a notch below Gomez.

2 seasons, almost no matter how bad a contract is, can be managed in a huge variety of ways. If he plays well, then it's no problem keeping him. IF he is terrible, he's much easier to move and/or burry in the minors and/or buy out, if you absolutely need to replace him/use that cap space elsewhere.

5 seasons... that makes us pretty much stuck. Short of finding "another sucker", he's almost impossible to trade, a buy out is absolutely out of the question, and even the deepest pocketed owner would wince at multiple years of flushing that kind of money down the toilet, not too mention the NHLPA wanting to go to war with you and players around the league taking offense to it.
No, a 5 year deal like this one is like a ball and chain that can pretty much only be lifted if the player performs at least close to that level, which Gomez has struggled mightily to do pretty much his entire career.

Richards in a heart beat and it's not even close!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:28 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSudds View Post
Briers is the weakest player i have ever seen, maybe he should stick to figure skating, to weak we have 6 of those players allready, we need North American beef, not french Canadian cheese
Wow, that is one of the most racist post I have red on HF... congratulations

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:40 PM
habtastic

I'd pick Gomez simply cuz I think he above all those players is what is needed. Richards a close second. We have sniping wingers, we need a puck controlling, gritty, quick good passing center.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
habtastic

Quote:
aside from disagreeing with that, I just realized that you put the two together, and you get a Philly cheese steak. I guess Briere was the answer.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
I agree about Briere, I hate him with a passion, but the rest of your post is pretty stupid...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote