HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Motivating a team-mate to play.

Old
07-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post

My parents just want him to have "fun"...It's a competitive league and we play in small tournaments and stuff. It just pisses me off that he's wasting his talent.
From the sound of it, single letter, not doing the summer "AAA" elite circuit, small tournaments. Sounds like your parents have things pegged about right.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
From the sound of it, single letter, not doing the summer "AAA" elite circuit, small tournaments. Sounds like your parents have things pegged about right.
I don't understand the correlation between the person's level of play and the need to play the game the right way. While I understand the possibility of a career in the game or maybe a scholarship opportunity for higher level athletes would present a more tangible incentive to bust their butt, that doesn't mean lower level guys shouldn't be hustling and competing. If he is only and A player instead of a AAA player, than maybe he skips dryland training before the season, or isn't strict in his diet, but he should still be giving his all in games in my opinion.

I would agree that childhood should be the most fun time in life, and hockey doesn't have to be a consuming endeavor for everyone. Would you agree though, that life isn't all about fun, and raising successful well-adjusted children isn't all about keeping them happy? 14-15 is about the age when kids start to grow up, and find things other than fun rewarding (overcoming adversity, being and having true teammates, etc. etc.) .

If he can learn to be accountable and work hard, then I don't think it would be the worst thing ever if he missed out on some fun. The confidence and pride he would get from becoming the type of person people want to have on their team would be as rewarding as any "fun" could. Not to mention if the team actually has some success that would be great reinforcement to him that hard work really does pay off. The lessons learned while becoming a good teammate really equip kids well to be good friends and respectable men. I understand if someone's first instinct is to make their children happy in the present, but doing so the the extent that they're missing opportunities to mature is a mistake (my opinion).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:19 AM
Patrick96

This reminds me of when I used to strap pads onto my 6 year old brother (this was 5-6 years ago) while practiced stick-handling in tight areas and wrist shots. Man, by the time that kid was 8 (I was 17) I'd actually have to try to get the ball past him but, like many kids these days, playing video games and computers hypnotizes them and they lack the drive to do anything else.

Depending on how competetive the league is your playing in, I think you should practice hard with your brother and hopefully the competitiveness translates to the game. If that doesn't work then buying your 14 year old brother a large can of red bull should keep his motor going throughout the entire game haha.

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 03:23 AM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I don't understand the correlation between the person's level of play and the need to play the game the right way. While I understand the possibility of a career in the game or maybe a scholarship opportunity for higher level athletes would present a more tangible incentive to bust their butt, that doesn't mean lower level guys shouldn't be hustling and competing. If he is only and A player instead of a AAA player, than maybe he skips dryland training before the season, or isn't strict in his diet, but he should still be giving his all in games in my opinion.

I would agree that childhood should be the most fun time in life, and hockey doesn't have to be a consuming endeavor for everyone. Would you agree though, that life isn't all about fun, and raising successful well-adjusted children isn't all about keeping them happy? 14-15 is about the age when kids start to grow up, and find things other than fun rewarding (overcoming adversity, being and having true teammates, etc. etc.) .

If he can learn to be accountable and work hard, then I don't think it would be the worst thing ever if he missed out on some fun. The confidence and pride he would get from becoming the type of person people want to have on their team would be as rewarding as any "fun" could. Not to mention if the team actually has some success that would be great reinforcement to him that hard work really does pay off. The lessons learned while becoming a good teammate really equip kids well to be good friends and respectable men. I understand if someone's first instinct is to make their children happy in the present, but doing so the the extent that they're missing opportunities to mature is a mistake (my opinion).
Excellent insight and a good read!

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Canadiens1958

Age Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post

The ideas of always doing your best or doing things properly while not fearing failure should be part of the maturation process by the start of grade school.

The situation here is a 14 / 15 year old being evaluated by a slightly older sibling who seems to feel that he knows a bit more about raising kids than the parents. Doubt that a balanced presentation was made originally. Just pointed out the gaps.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:35 AM
LilWinger11

Ask your brother if he would be happier playing a less competitive level of hockey next year. If hockey is fun for him, then by all means he should continue to play, but it really isn't fair to his teammates for him to play at a level that requires effort he isn't willing to put in.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote