HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The power play has potential

Old
07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
redden would be better to partner with kotalik. the rangers players have said they love the way redden passes the puck so id put him next to the booming shot of kotalik.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 03:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

To me the PP will boil down to one player.

You wanna talk about PP QB's in Kotalik or whoever... I dont think thats really the case.

If Gaboriks working his side and they can find a way to isolate him and connect him with another player on the Rangers in any way, that is the key to the PP for me.

The guy is a world class talent, and the Rangers are not bringing a Leetch calibre type defensmen in here to QB anything, so the creativity is going to be coming straight from the right side boards this season.

Plus, maybe a guy like DelZotto steps up and makes an impression and gets some PP time, you never know. (if he makes the team obviously)

But beyond the personnel, the problem the past few years was over-thinking, setting up in the zone and being a decisive and quick passing team. It has been just as much as a mental thing as it has been a personnel problem in my eyes, and Tortorella will have some new players to work with and a fresh slate going into this year. Its an attack mindset this team needs to feed of of, even on the PP. A dangerous PP will be a huge part of this teams success, if they can find a way to pull it off.

I wouldnt expect it, until we see it though. But how much worse can it be really?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-26-2009 at 03:15 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 04:48 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
ewwwww.

Get me Sheldon Souray. What this team lacks is a blast from the point, and Kotalik aint that, hes best set up in the circles imho.
Agree, but Babchuk would have a smaller contract. I'd say go for him.

Since Zubby was traded, I've been waiting for that defenseman with a cannon of a shot.

I hope Gabby's fake/fake/dish is good because if he can draw the double team and dish it to Higgins or Drooly to slam home, the PP will be nice.

Last edited by vipernsx: 07-26-2009 at 04:57 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 04:54 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Graves is playing salesmen there. Del Zotto was supposedly atrocious in prospect camp.
Since when does not being on the list of most impressive at camp = atrocious? I guess we'd better pencil Ryan Bourque in for a spot in our top 6, he had a great prospect camp. If Del Zotto plays anywhere near like he did during last years preseason than I'd say he's a lock to make the team. Graves has a job in the organization involving our prospects and I'd say his word is better than pretty much anyones.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 05:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
Souray makes a ton of money and is under contract with Edmonton. So, the cost would be too much. Why not go for a bargain basement guy who possesses a cannon and can be plugged in by Tort?
Then make a deal by Babchuk, he'll cost about the same is is a better defenseman. If a deal is going to cost too much then the try Sangs. The reason why he's considered "not ready" is because of his inability to play defense, same as MAB. Sangs will be cheaper then MAB. I can see MAB as a guy who is signed after the season starts when a team is trying to address a need they weren't able to fill.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
We have like 45 offensive d-men in the system. You'd have to hope that ONE of them can step it up on the PP this year.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 05:25 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Since when does not being on the list of most impressive at camp = atrocious? I guess we'd better pencil Ryan Bourque in for a spot in our top 6, he had a great prospect camp. If Del Zotto plays anywhere near like he did during last years preseason than I'd say he's a lock to make the team. Graves has a job in the organization involving our prospects and I'd say his word is better than pretty much anyones.
Fair enough, atrocious is the wrong word. And, no, it shouldn't determine who plays, but if you can't keep up with guys that are 4-5 years away, that doesn't bode well for the IMMEDIATE future.

Remember, I'm not saying anything bad about del Zotto. I just don't know if he'll stick straight out of juniors. I hold Graves' opinion in high regard myself, but that's tremendous expectation to place on a 19-year-old.

Brooklyn, if conditioning is behind, that's even worse than your skill being a bit behind. That camp was a fraction of what NHL training is like, as I'm sure you know. And I remember reading that his positioning/judgment is what was really off.

No need to rush him, that's all I'm saying. Start him in Hartford--if it takes hime a month to hit stride, call him up. Sanguinetti, IMO, would be ahead of him on the depth chart with a year of minor-pro.

And I do think Graves is doing some PR, and that's fine.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 05:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
ewwwww.

Get me Sheldon Souray. What this team lacks is a blast from the point, and Kotalik aint that, hes best set up in the circles imho.

Still high on Souray are ya inferno. He is way over paid & is a defensive liablitly.

Sather is Not going out trading for puck moving D when the team is stacked with them now. If anything he gets a crease clearing D.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Still high on Souray are ya inferno. He is way over paid & is a defensive liablitly.

Sather is Not going out trading for puck moving D when the team is stacked with them now. If anything he gets a crease clearing D.
Agreed. Didn't he even state on the record that's what he wanted?

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 06:37 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Kotalik is not a PPQB.

Babchuck is a defensive liability and is not a PPQB either, he is a shooter, and we just signed one of those for 3/9mil.(see Kotalik)

Kotalik and Redden will no doubt run the points on the first pp unit. And as HockeyBasedNYC said, this PP will boil down to the 7.5mil$man.

EDIT: Yes please get me a crease clearer, someone who will wreck ****ing shop, and put the fear of god into opponents, and make them bleed, and give them nightmares, and hurt, mame, kill... sorry.
Oh how I long for Beuk or Kloucek.

Last edited by N9Y4R: 07-26-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: fear of god
N9Y4R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 06:59 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Fair enough, atrocious is the wrong word. And, no, it shouldn't determine who plays, but if you can't keep up with guys that are 4-5 years away, that doesn't bode well for the IMMEDIATE future.

Remember, I'm not saying anything bad about del Zotto. I just don't know if he'll stick straight out of juniors. I hold Graves' opinion in high regard myself, but that's tremendous expectation to place on a 19-year-old.

Brooklyn, if conditioning is behind, that's even worse than your skill being a bit behind. That camp was a fraction of what NHL training is like, as I'm sure you know. And I remember reading that his positioning/judgment is what was really off.

No need to rush him, that's all I'm saying. Start him in Hartford--if it takes hime a month to hit stride, call him up. Sanguinetti, IMO, would be ahead of him on the depth chart with a year of minor-pro.

And I do think Graves is doing some PR, and that's fine.
The problem is if MDZ isn't playing on the Rangers it's back to the OHL, he'd have to wait another year before he can play in Hartford. Also I wouldn't worry about the conditioning thing too much, the few weeks after the regular season are usually the time for the players to relax, because they're working out over the summer. I'd assume he just wasn't ready at that time, but 2 months of working out over the summer and he'll be fine.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 07:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
The problem is if MDZ isn't playing on the Rangers it's back to the OHL, he'd have to wait another year before he can play in Hartford. Also I wouldn't worry about the conditioning thing too much, the few weeks after the regular season are usually the time for the players to relax, because they're working out over the summer. I'd assume he just wasn't ready at that time, but 2 months of working out over the summer and he'll be fine.
Exactly - I have nothing to add. Colonials summed it up perfectly.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 12:14 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I don;'t know... certainly wouldn't be adverse to it though. Cautious optimism for me.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 12:56 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Agreed. Didn't he even state on the record that's what he wanted?
Yes, he did.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote