HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes re-acquire Aaron Ward

Old
07-26-2009, 10:12 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Word to the wise, be careful.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:44 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktheCaniac View Post
I hope so...but I called this first in one of my first posts here a few months ago.
Sorry that's prohibited here according to the bylaws of the VagueRant. Section 4.7.1: Any mortal poster shall meet with furious retribution if they dare step into the self-anointed's spotlight in the realm of verified predicitions for it is his domain. So it is written.

On a more important note, it's tough to find any real major faults with the move to bring Ward back on board. Since Wesley's and Hedican's departure, I think there has been a veteran leadership void on the blueline and Ward brings that element in a major way. Gleason has tried to take on more of that kind of role but it's still a work in process for him.

There is definitely more balance in this D corps than in recent years but the gains on the PK may be offset by the challenges on the PP points. The forward-on-the-point formation isn't Maurice's favorite but he will have few options unless he wants to dress 7 D on a regular basis. In transition, I always thought Ward was underrated with his outlet passing but some of the cracks in his game positional were somewhat muted by being paired with Chara.

He would seem to be a really good fit with Pitkanen though even if it means more Gleason-Corvo which is not the best pairing in my opinion. That's especially true once the other teams gets possession and cycles the puck. They are pretty effective in transition but seem like mismatched dance partners at times when the puck swings down low. All in all though, it's solid move to add Ward.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Sorry that's prohibited here according to the bylaws of the VagueRant. Section 4.7.1: Any mortal poster shall meet with furious retribution if they dare step into the self-anointed's spotlight in the realm of verified predicitions for it is his domain. So it is written.

On a more important note, it's tough to find any real major faults with the move to bring Ward back on board. Since Wesley's and Hedican's departure, I think there has been a veteran leadership void on the blueline and Ward brings that element in a major way. Gleason has tried to take on more of that kind of role but it's still a work in process for him.

There is definitely more balance in this D corps than in recent years but the gains on the PK may be offset by the challenges on the PP points. The forward-on-the-point formation isn't Maurice's favorite but he will have few options unless he wants to dress 7 D on a regular basis. In transition, I always thought Ward was underrated with his outlet passing but some of the cracks in his game positional were somewhat muted by being paired with Chara.

He would seem to be a really good fit with Pitkanen though even if it means more Gleason-Corvo which is not the best pairing in my opinion. That's especially true once the other teams gets possession and cycles the puck. They are pretty effective in transition but seem like mismatched dance partners at times when the puck swings down low. All in all though, it's solid move to add Ward.
On ALL points.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 12:39 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
This is going to be huge, IMHO.

When Hedican was contemplating retiring or moving out West, I remember Gleason saying something about how he hopes Hedican stays here b/c he's been a great mentor to him. At times I think Gleason missed that mentorship. Bringing in Ward will get that mentor back for Gleason and who better to learn from than Ward.

I don't think having Ward here in the ECF would have won us the series, but I sure think he would have helped calm the defense down a bit. Too many times they looked like deer caught in the headlights and I think his leadership and experience could have helped there.

I'm actually excited about this years defensive corps now.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote