HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Havlat Speaks out on Tallon's Firing

Old
07-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post
...The idea that, despite the flub up with the qualifying offers and the big stink made about it by the NHLPA, all these players signed on the dotted line for what I would say is a hometown discount before it really became an issue, shows me that he is a GM that the players play for. And that is rare.
I agree with this whole heartedly. These players really loved Dale, as was also evidenced by their bus trip to the funeral to show respect for the man. There's a brotherhood of sorts with the Blackhawks...and this can really **** things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
This just reinforces the idea that McDonough is an over controlling president that cares more about marketing than hockey. I feel bad for Marty. You can tell he still wants to be here and is upset over this whole deal. Tallon definitely got shafted on this. I am not going to take this out on Bowman, but McDonough is on my short list of people I strongly dislike. He's a weaselly little guy that wont be a man and admit why he acted the way he did. I sure hope this isn't the first of many instances to come of him meddling in important affairs due to his ego.
More about marketing than hockey. $$$$>hockey Sounds like Bill Wirtz v2.0 He is definitely a weasel. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. I don't like our upper management even a little at this point. We have multiple people I don't trust, instead of just one before Bill kissed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
The truth will come out eventually whether by Havlat or others. Tallon was paid off by McCub for his silence on this and the other FA issues, namely Campbell and Huet and to prevent an all out mutiny by the players.
You know...I believe you're right. The young guys really liked Dale...especially Kane. It'll be interesting to see how they react to this...and they will, I guarantee it. Whether it's on the ice or off. Dale was set up to be the fall guy from the beginning. You make personnel decisions that would generally be Tallon's to make, and then when they get criticized or fail, you pile it on his shoulders.

This offseason has been such a debacle. It totally takes the air out of what happened this past season. I look at our off season acquisitions like Tampa's when they went out and spent all that money on Vrbata and all the ex-Pens players. I was of the opinion that we didn't need to sign even one free agent this summer, outside of a goaltender perhaps. Now here we are. We just made it to the WCF with the youngest team in the league...and rather than nurture that success and the youth of our team...we went out and overhauled it by letting go of players that helped us get there...and bringing in more UFA outsiders.

I just have this really god awful feeling in the pit of my stomach...and I don't feel that all the words in my vocabulary could describe it.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

As an interested observer, who's always held the Hawks in high regard "back in the day", I spotted something interesting in that blurb on TSN...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284740

Listen to the 'shooting from the lip' video - at the end of that, listen to what this McDonough character says "It's crazy that I'd be making decisions about Hossa over Havlat". That's funny - until now I've never heard that brought up by anyone.

Chicago fans? Have you heard about that situation? In any case, Tallon built a hell of a team, and deserved better.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:21 PM
CPrice

Just read the article on TSN. I think Havlat has a lot of integrity, and I couldn't see him making something like this up. I think he wanted to really stay with Chicago and was caught off guard when he wasn't part of the teams plans.

Chicago has a great group of guys, I hope this move doesn't come back to bite them. r

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Havlat wanted a long term deal and is injury prone!
Hossa wanted a long term deal and is not injury prone!

Hawks made right decision and if it is true Dale was talking to Havlat about longterm deal not at a deep discount then he deserved to be fired.

Sometimes loyalty clouds a person's judgement. Havlat was Dale's man while Hossa was everyone else in front offices man.

Hossa is a smarter sign on every level (Salary, Injury history, skill , etc)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 05:56 PM
willfenix

Send a message via AIM to willfenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
The truth will come out eventually whether by Havlat or others. Tallon was paid off by McCub for his silence on this and the other FA issues, namely Campbell and Huet and to prevent an all out mutiny by the players.
This isn't the movies, nobody is going to go into McDonough's office and lay their jerseys on his desk and offer their retirement because of the the ethical travesty of a GM firing. There is no mutiny, there is no drama, all there has been is a bitter Marty Havlat complaining on his twitter about not getting the years and money he wanted. All there have been are sportswriters of questionable reputation spinning the dramatic angle to make a story out of it. All the speculation about some big conspiracy is going to wither and die because there is none, and anyone who makes anything more out of it is honestly wasting their time.

Also, the team going to Tallon's father's funeral just probably felt like the right thing to do. I don't think they did it specifically because they all have this super close personal relationship with Dale Tallon, they did it because they felt like the right thing to do as a team would be to rally behind their GM during a troubled time. Does it indicate that they had a high amount of respect for Tallon? Absolutely. They were in a position where they could sacrifice a day by staying in Canada to attend the service and it worked out well and they did the right thing, but it's not like Tallon is packing their lunches, tucking them in at night and giving them advice about girls. It was just a good PR story that they marketed so everyone could see what good boys they are.

willfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
southerncross116

Quote:
Correction, the Hossa signing appears to be smarter on every level based upon past performance- corrected in light of the fact that in 1990 or 1989 the Kansas City Royals signed free agent Mark Davis to be their shut down closer from the Sand Diego Padres right after Mr Davis had won the Cy Young award with something like 44 saves (iirc it was a record at the time)... Davis pretty much sucked it up for a couple of seasons before disappearing in to the same sort of obscurity that former Hawks "phenom" Segei Krivokrasov did (as did a number of can't miss ideas that subsequently missed).

The point being- based upon past history Hossa looks like a good signing on paper - but he now has to perform on the ice.

____

As for "Conspiracy theories" and off season journalism, and dramatic moments from cliche-d movies... yeah I agree with that, the only actual news here is how much influence a non-hockey guy like McDonough has, and if marketing decisions trump everything. I think marketing and winning can co-exist... now comes the- wait and see how it works here. But I can say that if winning were the only thing that was important, then as a team, you'd be better off poaching marketing talent from teams that have actually won, and not for teams that have traditionally lost -but pack the house (and mind you I am a lifelong Cubs fan...)

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:08 AM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Just read the article on TSN. I think Havlat has a lot of integrity, and I couldn't see him making something like this up. I think he wanted to really stay with Chicago and was caught off guard when he wasn't part of the teams plans.

Chicago has a great group of guys, I hope this move doesn't come back to bite them. r
I don't think it will bite them. They have too much chemistry to let that happen.

Adam Burish was on Chicago Tribune Live yesterday and he said he doesn't necessarily agree with everything Havlat said, and that Havlat has a tendency of saying too much, including things that are untrue, when he gets emotional.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:32 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Regarding his Twitter remarks - is everyone positive that is the real Marty and not some poser? Has Havlat stated on tv or something where you can find his Twitter account? It just always makes me wonder what's to stop someone from getting a player's name on Twitter and posing as them - even if their tweets seem to be in line with press releases.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Catamo
NHL2com League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Havlat wanted a long term deal and is injury prone!
Hossa wanted a long term deal and is not injury prone!

Hawks made right decision and if it is true Dale was talking to Havlat about longterm deal not at a deep discount then he deserved to be fired.

Sometimes loyalty clouds a person's judgement. Havlat was Dale's man while Hossa was everyone else in front offices man.

It turned out nicely. But you cant just drop one the the top players in the league to try to sign a different one thru free agency. Hossa controlled where he ended up.

Catamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:12 AM
RipCityPuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross116 View Post
Correction, the Hossa signing appears to be smarter on every level based upon past performance- corrected in light of the fact that in 1990 or 1989 the Kansas City Royals signed free agent Mark Davis to be their shut down closer from the Sand Diego Padres right after Mr Davis had won the Cy Young award with something like 44 saves (iirc it was a record at the time)... Davis pretty much sucked it up for a couple of seasons before disappearing in to the same sort of obscurity that former Hawks "phenom" Segei Krivokrasov did (as did a number of can't miss ideas that subsequently missed).

The point being- based upon past history Hossa looks like a good signing on paper - but he now has to perform on the ice.
There are plenty examples of this:

Carl Pavano signing with the Yankees
B.J. Ryan signing with the Blue Jays
Rick DiPietro with the Isles?

Just to name a few more.

Havlat may end up scoring 40 goals next year in 82 games while Hossa spends most of the year on the IR. You never know until the games are played.

RipCityPuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Tokked13

Granted the Hawks knew Hossa was hurt, then they should have had someone out there the next day to evauate the injury. The fact they let it linger just so JMcD could parade him around a the convention is just a bad idea. Rocky really needs to take a close look at his pres.

Tokked13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:07 AM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokked13 View Post
Granted the Hawks knew Hossa was hurt, then they should have had someone out there the next day to evauate the injury. The fact they let it linger just so JMcD could parade him around a the convention is just a bad idea. Rocky really needs to take a close look at his pres.
I have to agree that Rocky needs to keep a close eye on it for the time being. However, I still think it's a good signing regardless of the injury if they feel he was not 100% and still tallied 71pts last season. Especially if they figured they would take a closer look and if it needed surgery to bring him back to 100% then they would do it. I personally would have ordered the physical just because I believe it should be done regardless before making a commitment to a contract either long or short term. It isn't the end of the world.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote