HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wellwood Arbitration - Re-signed @ $1.2 million

Old
07-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 500
Can't wait to see this resolved and to see Wellwood back in a Canucks jersey next season. Getting him for under 1.5 mill is a bargain. Getting him for what we got him for last year was an absolute steal.

Excellent face-off man, magic mittens potting a career high goal total, amazing shooting percentage, better than most of the team in the shootout, clutch performer in the playoffs. I don't even get how some of you guys would want him gone. Mystifying. I mean, sure he cooled off for 21 games, but he came correct when it was time, and his 27 points put him in the same family as Jochen Hecht ($2.3 million) and Mike Comrie ($3.3 million).

And don't even say that his history with bad conditioning should be a factor. He deserves a pay raise. Hell, we gave O'Brien 60% pay raise, and that was a guy who scored on his own net, told the coach how to coach, and tells the media he isnt happy. I mean, lets get real here.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
And don't even say that his history with bad conditioning should be a factor.
Because he has a history of coming to camp in shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Hell, we gave O'Brien 60% pay raise, and that was a guy who scored on his own net, told the coach how to coach, and tells the media he isnt happy. I mean, lets get real here.
How many centers that are capable of playing at the NHL level do we have? How many defensemen capable of playing at the NHL level do we have?

Centers: H. Sedin, R. Kesler, P. Demitra, R. Johnson, R. Rypien, and maybe D. Hodgson

We have currently only *FIVE* defensemen signed (forget the fringe guys) and that *includes* SOB. SOB had alot more leverage.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:21 AM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Centers: H. Sedin, R. Kesler, P. Demitra, R. Johnson, R. Rypien, and maybe D. Hodgson
Who is D. Hodgson? Cody's brother?

BloatedGuppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
JarkkoRuutu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Maybe it's short for coDy Hodgson?

JarkkoRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post

Typo on part.

That's what you get for skipping your morning coffee.

Old
07-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Ernie

Hope they bring up the fact that every team in the league passed on him for $500k last season.

If Wellwood gets awarded a large contract, and doesn't deliver immediately, this will probably be the last NHL contract he ever gets. He'll spend the season in the AHL.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Hope they bring up the fact that every team in the league passed on him for $500k last season.

If Wellwood gets awarded a large contract, and doesn't deliver immediately, this will probably be the last NHL contract he ever gets. He'll spend the season in the AHL.
I don't see what his waiver situation at the beginning of the year would have to do with his arbitration hearing?? it'll be based on what he actually did during the year.

If he passed through waivers - re-entry or not - at the end of the season, that's a different point altogether... but you can't penalize a guy for being waived at the beginning of the season, no more than guys are penalized for having a bad season 2 years ago, and rebounding then to finish a good season. Wellwood's worth will be determined on what he actually accomplished last season.

Personally, I hope we let him walk... he's not the type of 3rd line center this team needs, and there's no way his arbitration award will be any less than the $1mill he made last season... at that price, I'd go into the season with Hodgson at this spot... or even spend a bit more on a guy like Moore (who wanted $2mill last year, but still hasn't got a contract) or Peca... Williams and Malhotra are still UFAs as well - all would be better options than Wellwood for the 3rd line role IMO.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Bad move by Wellwood to take the Canucks to arbitration.
Why's that? The team waived him twice so I can't see any reason for undying loyalty.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 10:40 AM
wendelclark17

My prediction is he will be awarded 1 yr - 1.75 mil or 2 yr - 3 mil.

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
or even spend a bit more on a guy like Moore (who wanted $2mill last year, but still hasn't got a contract).
I've seen stranger things happen than Moore playing for Vancouver (ie., Gelinas accepting a contract offer from Mike Keenan - the very same person who literally destroyed his confidence [via usual Keenan coaching methods] while both were Canucks).

Old
07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
cc

I think Wellwood can still develop as he's still relatively young so there's still upside there. He also demonstrated that he's capable of playing with grit and determination. His offense dried up but it's not for lack of opportunities. I recall another such player who, prior to this year, was getting a lot of scoring oppportunities and that is Alex Burrows

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
AlbertaNucksFan

You know. I think he was a pretty good player for us. Wellwood didn't crush anyone with his hits but when he did hit a guy it was always to knock the puck loose - and most of the time into his possession. His physicality was very well used and more effective then some big center that just loved to hit would have been. Its like the difference between Phaneuf and Niedermayer. Phaneuf just crushes guys and it is exciting for that 1 second before you realize it had nothing to do with the puck and he put himself way out of position to make the hit causing a 2 on 1 against his goalie. Niedermayer would just bump a guy and take the puck causing a break out for his forwards.

Also I think that third line was very effective with him as a center. Wellwood gave them the puck possession, break out, and puck clearing aspects. Bernier and to some degree Raymond gave them the physicality. And Raymond gave the back check and speed. Plus Wellwood had some pretty good defensive awareness and action as well.

I just can’t believe I am not seeing the same things as the rest of the fan base on here. I really want Wellwood back and I think he absolutely makes this team better and more exciting to watch. I really think that his previous conditioning should be attributed to him being on a terribly managed team before us.

hmmmm I don't know.

AlbertaNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 10:46 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I've seen stranger things happen than Moore playing for Vancouver (ie., Gelinas accepting a contract offer from Mike Keenan - the very same person who literally destroyed his confidence [via usual Keenan coaching methods] while both were Canucks).
I really don't see what's so strange about Moore signing in Vancouver... he wasn't the one involved with the Bertuzzi situation... and even if he was, Bert is gone, Naslund is gone, May is gone, Cooke is gone, Crawford is gone, Burke is gone.

Who else was involved in that situation at all? certainly not the Sedins or Burrows or Kesler...

it's a completely different team from then... and completely different management and coaching - and ownership!

I don't see why Moore would avoid signing in Vancouver because of what happened to his brother by players/coaches/managers that are no longer a part of the organization.

and if the price is right, he's an ideal #3 center for this team. Much, much better in that role than Wellwood is.

Old
07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I really don't see what's so strange about Moore signing in Vancouver... he wasn't the one involved with the Bertuzzi situation... and even if he was, Bert is gone, Naslund is gone, May is gone, Cooke is gone, Crawford is gone, Burke is gone.
Fair enough - I still think it's a bit odd him possibly playing for a team that his brother is suing for......

There have been other odd examples in history (ie., Peca on the same team as Tucker).

Old
07-28-2009, 10:53 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:

Who else was involved in that situation at all? certainly not the Sedins or Burrows or Kesler...

it's a completely different team from then... and completely different management and coaching - and ownership!

I don't see why Moore would avoid signing in Vancouver because of what happened to his brother by players/coaches/managers that are no longer a part of the organization.
True, but it's controversial enough that it would bring a ton of media frenzy and some people would openly criticize the decision. Honestly, half of the main board at HF would call him a traitor to his brother, I'd wager. It's idiotic, but it will be enough that he may not want to deal with that kind of media focus.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
My prediction is he will be awarded 1 yr - 1.75 mil or 2 yr - 3 mil.
I'm pretty sure if it is $1.6MM or more, the Canucks will walk. Other than Sedin and Demitra, no Canucks' centre is making over $1.75MM.
As mentioned above, with Sedin, Kesler, Hodgson, Johnson, Demitra, Rypien and Bolduc, the team has a lot of guys who can play centre.
If Gillis is confident that Sundin will be back, then for sure he would cut Wellwood loose.
If Wellwood has applied himself to a heavy conditioning program this summer (remember he was hurt last summer, which affected his ability to improve his conditioning), he could end up being an good asset, particularly if Demitra's injury keeps him out to start the season.
Based on production, I would rather be the Canucks making their case here than Mike Liut.

Steveorama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:04 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I dunno... I think it's a lot stranger for Brad May to sign in Colorado after the Moore situation - when he was one of the more vocal and involved players when it happened... wasn't it May that publicly put a "bounty" on Moore after his hit on Naslund?

Moore signing in Vancouver would even be less strange than him asking Burke for an extension to remain in Toronto as well! And we all know that his first option was remaining in Toronto.

I just don't see any reason at all to call him a traitor or for fans to be upset by him signing here. If Brad May didn't have problems going to Colorado, why should Dominic Moore be concerned about signing with a team that has no remaining figures from that ugly episode with his brother?

Old
07-28-2009, 11:10 AM
FruityPants3*

Basically, Wellwood's camp will pick out the 41 games he actually participated in and point to those to define his value, while the Canucks will point to the other 41 where he was out of shape / coasting / scratched.

Should be fun.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

Assuming that there would be room for him on the Moose as a veteran.

Last season he was packed and heading to Europe to play out his career when the injuries hit and Pettinger was scooped up on re-entry waivers.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I think the obvious question is, if he is signed then where do you put Hodgson?

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Umm... back in Junior?

I think there's a pretty good chance the Hodgson does make the team next year, but I don't think he's a lock.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Kid_Roll

Oh man, it's coming down to the wire for one of my favorite Canucks!

Come on 1.5!

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:34 AM
tantalum

Quote:
If Hodgson is ready you make room for him. Just because Wellwood is signed doesn't mean he couldn't be moved at a later date or waived again or whatever.

If the award is at all reasonable there is zero reason not to take it.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Milvesof Brown

Quote:
I think before the beginning of the season we are going to see a roster forward + traded for a defenceman, so Hodgson will slide in wherever that gap is created. I don't think the Canucks would be too opposed to starting Cody on the wing, to cushion his transition.

Milvesof Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
There's still that itty bitty issue about his brother suing the team for vicarious liability.