HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Bag Recommendations?

Old
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Hockey Bag Recommendations?

Have an Easton V 4.0 bag that is falling apart after only 2.5 years and am looking for suggestions for a new one. Not looking for roller or backpack bags but if you want to suggest for the benefit of the general public then please feel free.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

You bought a bag for 30-40$, and it lasted you for only 2.5 years?

Anyway, all bags are made somewhat equal. Get a V 6.0 if you liked your bag.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 09:27 PM
deanosaur

Anything that holds all your gear.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:18 AM
IniNew

I do recommend the backpack style bags. Packing the stuff up is a bit more difficult, but when you don't have automatic opening doors it's a life saver!

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:44 AM
BruinsFTW

Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
rofl...anything that holds your ****

BruinsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Smart Alek

Just like every piece of your equipment, you either want the oldest, most torn to shreds, dilapidated bag, or the shiniest, newest one in the dressing room.

As we should all know, there's no in-between.

Smart Alek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
mooseOAK*

If I was looking for useless replies then I certainly hit a goldmine, especially the guy who was actually rolling on the floor and laughing.

Next time someone asks for a recommendation for a hockey stick be sure to all get in there and tell him to choose the one with the shaft and the blade on it!

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
DevsFan84

Shock doctor makes a pretty cool bag I have that uses a blower of sorts to dry out the equipment. If you live in a cold area it might be worth the investment if you don't have a place to dry out your equipment without your wife/girlfriend/mom complaining about it.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
frito

Whatever you choose, just make sure that the straps run all the way underneath and around the bag. Those with straps that jsut attach at the top or the sides have a tendancy of separating from the bag and tearing. I'd also lean towards one that doesn't have a separate clip on should starp. Those tend to break due to the wait of the gear. Instead, choose one whose two straps velcro together for over the should carrying. There are quite a few bags by CCM, RBK, etc. that fit this bill - too many to link here.

If Easton bag quality is the same as their warm up quality, don't expect them to last at all. I have an old school Itech bag that my daughter just decided she wanted to start using over her wheely backpack. While I think it's cool she's going old school I am bummed that I can't find another one like it.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Hockeyfan68

2.5 years is a short lifespan for a hockey back. I still use my old Bruins colors COOPER hockey bag. It is huge and has skate pockets.

It is getting worn though and soon i will be getting a new one so to answer your question .... get a bag that will hold all of your stuff with some extra room left over.

I say this because a tightly stuffed bag makes for damaged equipment and i mean skate guards coming off and cutting a glove or whatever.

The only concern for me when I get one will be double stitched quality materials, how big it is for my stuff and color scheme.

They have ones with travel wheels on it and a handle but that is just whimpy in my humbled opinion .... unless you are actually flying to your games and need luggage handles at the aipport or something.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 09:01 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Shock doctor makes a pretty cool bag I have that uses a blower of sorts to dry out the equipment. If you live in a cold area it might be worth the investment if you don't have a place to dry out your equipment without your wife/girlfriend/mom complaining about it.
second on the shock doctor bag, its a little much (when you figure in the dryer) but well worth it. especially if you skate more than once a week. nothing like dry warm gear. (I know I'm a pssy) I skate some times twice a day so putting on wet gear, especially a jock isn't my Idea of a good time.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Puckclektr

I don't know where you live put Sport MArt in Ontario have a nice Hespeler for $35. Two big side pockets and skate pockets. Big as any bag athat isn't a goalie bag. My last Hespeler was $30 and lasted 5 years. Just ripped a little bit on the bottom. I never understood the whole Easton, Nike bags for $100+ with wheels. I had two friends that bought them and said they didn't last two years. What is with the wheels? YOu are going to skate around for an hour, yet you can't carry a hockey bag into the arena? Besides, half the time there is a foot of snow on the ground and you can't roll it anyway.

Puckclektr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
madmutter
Oilyness

Been wondering about the Shock Doctor bag. Will it work in my unheated garage when it is -25 outside? The bag itself looks a little on the small side, is it?

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:21 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangible_faith View Post
I don't know where you live put Sport MArt in Ontario have a nice Hespeler for $35. Two big side pockets and skate pockets. Big as any bag athat isn't a goalie bag. My last Hespeler was $30 and lasted 5 years. Just ripped a little bit on the bottom. I never understood the whole Easton, Nike bags for $100+ with wheels. I had two friends that bought them and said they didn't last two years. What is with the wheels? YOu are going to skate around for an hour, yet you can't carry a hockey bag into the arena? Besides, half the time there is a foot of snow on the ground and you can't roll it anyway.
don't start that argument I did and got called everything in the book.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:24 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Been wondering about the Shock Doctor bag. Will it work in my unheated garage when it is -25 outside? The bag itself looks a little on the small side, is it?
I don't know if it wil work at that tempreature but it does work well, they make bigger bags also 36 or 40 inches. I find that with my gear I need to run the heater for 2 or 3 cycles but it does work.

Old
08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
It will work, but it will take longer. The air isn't hot that comes out of it, its warm (obviously, they don't want to start a fire)

Its important to pack your bag properly for the air to circulate and dry the gear off correctly. They give you instructions with the bag.

In the winter, it generally takes about 3 cycles in my unheated garage for completely dry gear (about 9 hours) I stick a sheet of fabric softener where the air comes out to make it smell better as well.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 06:20 PM
deanosaur

Wow. This really is a bad offseason, discussing hockey bags

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
GuitarAwesome

In all honesty man, it doesn;t matter. Bags try to sell you this mumbo jumbo about fabric that can go on the moon, and all this other garbage. Do NOT spend more than 50 dollars on a hockey bag. Seriously.
Also, do not get ones with wheels, unless you are a goalie, you will be mocked mercilessly (unless you have a lower back problem or something).
It's just code of the road.
The difference between a 50 dollar bag and a 120 dollar bag is pretty much nothing.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote