HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wellwood Arbitration - Re-signed @ $1.2 million

Old
07-28-2009, 11:52 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I think the obvious question is, if he is signed then where do you put Hodgson?
Third line center. If wellwood is signed, my bet is that he centers Kesler and Burrows/Samuelsson on the second line.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Third line center. If wellwood is signed, my bet is that he centers Kesler and Burrows/Samuelsson on the second line.
Then where do you put Demitra?

I think it would be beneficial to Hodgson to have him on a line with another center, like Kesler or Wellwood, so that he doesn't have to take and lose most of the draws. Rookie centers almost always struggle on face-offs, and it could affect his confidence. Also, starting without the puck right off the draw is never a good thing.

07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

I think it would be beneficial to Hodgson to have him on a line with another center, like Kesler or Wellwood, so that he doesn't have to take and lose most of the draws. Rookie centers almost always struggle on face-offs, and it could affect his confidence. Also, starting without the puck right off the draw is never a good thing.
left of Hodgson and Bernier...or some other team.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
left of Hodgson and Bernier...or some other team.
And then Raymond?

Some other team would be ideal (for Demo) but I don't see it happening.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:

Last I heard, Demitra was going to miss the start of the season anyways right? I would say we start the season with Sedin - Welly - Hodgson - Johnson as our centers unless Sundin comes back. In that case, someone has to be traded.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
And then Raymond?

Some other team would be ideal (for Demo) but I don't see it happening.
We have WAY too many bottom 6 forwards. If the Canucks keep Welly, i think a small trade will be made.

I'm guessing Mason raymond may be traded.

Demitra apparently may not be back until Decemeber anyways. As long as he's healthy by the trade deadline so we can trade him to the Rangers for a 1st or 2nd.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Warren Piece

Where did you hear December? You sure you aren't thinking of Hossa?

Warren Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
VC

I'd like to have Wellwood back for the mere fact it provides the team with options. It can allow Hodgson time to learn if he makes the team. It can keep Kesler on the wing. Or simply provide an asset to trade to make an upgrade somewhere within the organization.

Is Demitra going to be ready to start the season? It would be nice to have Wellwood round is Demitra isn't ready to go and the possibility the Hodgson struggels or doesn't make it.

If Wellwood doesn't return, Demitra isn't ready to go and Hodgson doesn't make it the forward lines look fairly weak come the season opener.

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - M.Sauelsson
A.Burrows - R.Kesler - J.Hansen
M.Raymond - R.Johnson - S.Bernier
D.Hordichuk - R.Rypien - A.Bolduc

Granted Hodgson will at least get his nine games in but things could look fairly bleak. Demitra will be back but it still leaves the team short a centre for the top nine. I just don't see how the Canucks can go into the season without another centre capable playing third line minutes beit Wellwood or a Many Malhotra.

The biggest questin is do you go with Wellwood who has offensive upside incase Hodgson doesn't make it or with a Malhotra who is limited to a third line role (and is good at it) and bet on Hodgson contributing to the offense?

Quote:

Why not put Demitra with Hodgson? He can take some of the draws and provide him with a vetran offensive player to play with.

VC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
Where did you hear December? You sure you aren't thinking of Hossa?
It was speculation about a week back on 1040. They were saying that it's "believed" that he could be out until december. He's definately not going to be ready for the start.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Any update on the arbitration?

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
does nobody remember how awesome the raymond welly bernier line was in the playoffs ? id like to see them start out together again

sedin sedin burrows
samuellson demitra kesler
raymond wellwood bernier
johnson, rypien hordi, hansen

with coho getting a 9 game tryout while demitra is still injured. then we will re-evaluate the coho situation.

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
You think Hodgson is going to be able to step in as a rookie and play well enough to hold down the third line Center spot?

Don't think so. Despite what many people here believe, third line Center is an important position where defensive responsibility and systems play are paramount.

Hodgson of course, does not slack defensively, but in his first season, I would be shocked if he's prepared to carry the load of a third line center, full time.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Bean in Charge

wellwood brings more to the team than demitra imo

Bean in Charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC=CUP View Post

Why not put Demitra with Hodgson? He can take some of the draws and provide him with a vetran offensive player to play with.
Then where do you put Raymond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
It was speculation about a week back on 1040. They were saying that it's "believed" that he could be out until december. He's definately not going to be ready for the start.
I believe he'll miss training camp, but be healthy enough to play by October.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean in Charge View Post
Demitra is becoming really under-rated here. Demitra had 26 more points last year.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:25 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaNucksFan View Post
You know. I think he was a pretty good player for us. Wellwood didn't crush anyone with his hits but when he did hit a guy it was always to knock the puck loose - and most of the time into his possession. His physicality was very well used and more effective then some big center that just loved to hit would have been. Its like the difference between Phaneuf and Niedermayer. Phaneuf just crushes guys and it is exciting for that 1 second before you realize it had nothing to do with the puck and he put himself way out of position to make the hit causing a 2 on 1 against his goalie. Niedermayer would just bump a guy and take the puck causing a break out for his forwards.

Also I think that third line was very effective with him as a center. Wellwood gave them the puck possession, break out, and puck clearing aspects. Bernier and to some degree Raymond gave them the physicality. And Raymond gave the back check and speed. Plus Wellwood had some pretty good defensive awareness and action as well.

I just canít believe I am not seeing the same things as the rest of the fan base on here. I really want Wellwood back and I think he absolutely makes this team better and more exciting to watch. I really think that his previous conditioning should be attributed to him being on a terribly managed team before us.

hmmmm I don't know.
I totally agree with you. Wellwood had an inconsistant season but many young players do the same. When he was good he was really good and in the playoffs he was a warrior. I like the team better with him in the lineup although with Hodgson coming in and perhaps being the 3rd line centre, I'm not sure where Wellwood fits. Maybe Hodgson is the second line centre ? Anyway, Wellwood has more upside than most fans give him credit for and I think that anything around $ 1.5 would be a good deal for the Canucks.

He's an exciting player and I hope he's in the Canucks lineup this coming season.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:27 PM
AlbertaNucksFan

Quote:

So demitra is injured but are you speaking about raymond too? will he miss training camp as well?

AlbertaNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaNucksFan View Post
So demitra is injured but are you speaking about raymond too? will he miss training camp as well?
I was responding to 2 posts at once. Raymond is healthy as far as I know.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
AlbertaNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Demitra is becoming really under-rated here. Demitra had 26 more points last year.
I have to kind of agree here. I am forced too really. I am not a fan of what Demitra brings to this team. It just doesn't seem like a fit for him and he can't really power a line by himself to make it fit. He isn't going to play like Kesler and Burrows and he stands still too much playing with the twins.

All that said at the end of the day Demitra is just plain good for points. That is something.

AlbertaNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
VC

Quote:
If Hodgson makes it and looks to contribute to the top nine and is slotted with Demitra and Bernier, that leaves Raymond and Wellwood fighting for a spot in the top nine. The 'loser' gets moved out for an upgrade.

Quote:
If he misses camp it would be nice to have capable players around to ease Demitra into the lineup.

VC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean in Charge View Post
Please quantify, justify, at least do something to make this statement not seem so incredibly stupid.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Wow understatement.

This place is becoming as bad as Canucks.com.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Kid_Roll

Wellwood is a great contingency plan. Also, after showing he can handle steady 3rd line duties, it's nice to know he is around in case Demo is out for periods of time, or if we need to switch things up on the PP. Also, I love CoHo as much as the next guy, but he most likely will struggle at times in his rookie season, so again, it's nice having Wellwood around to plug and play into different parts of the lineup. I don't know if Hodgson can just jump into the center position in his first year.

Having Byron Ritchie/Isbister/Goren a couple years back was paiiiiiiiiinful to watch when they had to be utilized in any other role but the 4th line, so I really really hope Wellwood gets 1.5 million and has another year to prove himself.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
FruityPants3*

Wellwood is a lot like Jared from Subway.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:19 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
I have to agree with that as well. I'm far from a huge DEmitra fan, but there's no doubt that he provides important offensive contributions for the team.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote