HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect #11

View Poll Results: Who's the 11th best Ranger prospect?
Corey Potter 13 11.02%
Ryan Bourque 21 17.80%
Nigel Williams 9 7.63%
Tomas Kundratek 36 30.51%
Dane Byers 35 29.66%
Carl Hagelin 4 3.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
SPG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
Yay, lets sign 4th line UFA's when we can fill those roster spots for half the $$'s from within the organization.
Now thats cap management.
Gotta love the Voros and Rissmillers of the hockey world.

Old
07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
squishy

Byers. Add Valentenko.

Old
07-28-2009, 10:37 AM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Byers, add Dupont.
this.

Old
07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
youre forgetting Brashear!

Old
07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
dank

Kund
add Dupont

Old
07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Add Kveton

Old
07-28-2009, 12:15 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Byers

Add Dupont

Yay, lets sign 4th line UFA's when we can fill those roster spots for half the $$'s from within the organization.
Now thats cap management.
Yea because 4th liners eat up SO much of our cap room right?

Old
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
coolbean04

How is Nigel Williams not getting any votes?

HF has him rated ahead of DZ and Sang but yet guys like Kundratek are passing him in the rankings.

Old
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post

HF has him rated ahead of DZ and Sang but yet guys like Kundratek are passing him in the rankings.
Because HF ratings are terrible and nobody goes by them.

Old
07-28-2009, 12:54 PM
NYRSchrute217

Kundratek

Old
07-28-2009, 01:01 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Yea because 4th liners eat up SO much of our cap room right?
Every $$ counts.

Old
07-28-2009, 02:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Every $$ counts.
Then you get guys like Tyler Arnason who are better than Dane Byers and play for damn near the league minimum. That our GM can be a moron and overpay for players like Voros, Rissmiller, et al doesn't change the fact that players like Byers are easily replaceable parts.

Anyway, I don't think that was FLY's point to begin with. A guy like Dane Byers who will give us a cheap season or two certainly possesses a value, but for a lot of people, that value isn't as great as the potential that a guy like Bourque or Kundratek has.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:02 PM
BPD

Quote:

Seriously. The dude is HUGE and he's got such crazy upside. I'm surprised Sauer and Werek were picked over him.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Then you get guys like Tyler Arnason who are better than Dane Byers and play for damn near the league minimum. That our GM can be a moron and overpay for players like Voros, Rissmiller, et al doesn't change the fact that players like Byers are easily replaceable parts.

Anyway, I don't think that was FLY's point to begin with. A guy like Dane Byers who will give us a cheap season or two certainly possesses a value, but for a lot of people, that value isn't as great as the potential that a guy like Bourque or Kundratek has.
Well said.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:45 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

Byers potential is more realizable at this point. A lot of talk of him being on the cusp.

To comment on Ryan Bourque--he and Byers are two completely different players. Bourque is definitely more flashy, more skilled at moving the puck--for me his size could be a real issue though. If his brother Chris is anything to go by he might find it hard to stick in the NHL. Kind of makes me think of Peter Ferraro.

The reason some of us think that Byers still has the potential to be a third liner--is because he seems to have some offense to go along with the size, the agitation etc. One of those guys who might not seem all that special but at the end of the night they've found a way to get on the scoreboard. Top 5 scorer on the Wolfpack in his rookie season--well over 200 pm's. Another 40 + point season in his second year. Last year hampered by a serious injury--he came back for the playoffs and scored a goal in the first game he played in--in months. So I don't think we're talking the second coming of Ryan Hollweg--who didn't even get 20 points (if I remember correctly) in his only AHL season. I think there is a lot more here.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Byers potential is more realizable at this point. A lot of talk of him being on the cusp.

To comment on Ryan Bourque--he and Byers are two completely different players. Bourque is definitely more flashy, more skilled at moving the puck--for me his size could be a real issue though. If his brother Chris is anything to go by he might find it hard to stick in the NHL. Kind of makes me think of Peter Ferraro.

The reason some of us think that Byers still has the potential to be a third liner--is because he seems to have some offense to go along with the size, the agitation etc. One of those guys who might not seem all that special but at the end of the night they've found a way to get on the scoreboard. Top 5 scorer on the Wolfpack in his rookie season--well over 200 pm's. Another 40 + point season in his second year. Last year hampered by a serious injury--he came back for the playoffs and scored a goal in the first game he played in--in months. So I don't think we're talking the second coming of Ryan Hollweg--who didn't even get 20 points (if I remember correctly) in his only AHL season. I think there is a lot more here.
I totally understand why people like Dane Byers, I really do. For me though, he just strikes me as a good AHL player. I'm not sure if his game is going to translate to the NHL level in any meaningful way.

Also, I didn't really mean to compare Byers and Bourque in terms of their games. Just the standard weighing of potential vs. safety.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:59 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Kundratek, add Boyle.

Old
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Hagelin, shoulda done Kundratek, add Valentenko

Old
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
Seriously. The dude is HUGE and he's got such crazy upside. I'm surprised Sauer and Werek were picked over him.
Sauer should be playing on the Rangers after camp this year. Williams has size but its been talked about how he struggles to think the game fast enough to play in the NHL.

Old
07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

all we had to give up for him was Fahey, sure that has a lot to do with it.

Old
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
I totally understand why people like Dane Byers, I really do. For me though, he just strikes me as a good AHL player. I'm not sure if his game is going to translate to the NHL level in any meaningful way.
I think he'll be a decent 4th liner who can occasionally fill in on the third line. He's a different type of player, but quality-wise, he'll be like Betts.

That's decent, but nothing special. In the AHL, he's a power forward. In the NHL, he'll be a cheap player who does his job. By paying Byers $750, the Rangers will save the money for their top 6.

That's valuable, but it's also important to keep things in perspective. It's not as if he'll be the next Tkachuk.

Old
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Wow, this is a very close fight. Next round should also be very close.

Old
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I think he'll be a decent 4th liner who can occasionally fill in on the third line. He's a different type of player, but quality-wise, he'll be like Betts.

That's decent, but nothing special. In the AHL, he's a power forward. In the NHL, he'll be a cheap player who does his job. By paying Byers $750, the Rangers will save the money for their top 6.

That's valuable, but it's also important to keep things in perspective. It's not as if he'll be the next Tkachuk.
Correction Byers will make the league minimum of $500K.

Old
07-28-2009, 10:55 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

If Peter Ferraro, and his brother for that matter, came up post lockout they probably would've been steady third liners in the NHL, IMO.

Closed Thread