HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Tanguay still a possibility?

View Poll Results: Will the Coyotes add another scorer?
Yes 43 63.24%
No 19 27.94%
Maybe a 10-15 goal guy 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'm hoping for Maloney's sake that he's done a better job vetting Tanguay than he did Jokinen.
We've added Aucoin (former captain) Vandermeer (former assistant) and a full season of Sauer, plus subtracted all the children walking around the room (Turris) If Tanguay wants to slack off it wont be because the locker room is bad or encouraging it. It will be because Wayne-O lets him. I hope that we have a new coach before the season starts for the discipline reason alone.

Old
07-27-2009, 10:27 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'm hoping for Maloney's sake that he's done a better job vetting Tanguay than he did Jokinen.
I think he would have to as a free agent. On the trade front I don't recall Jokinen having a NTC so that deal could have been done without any direct vetting. At least with Tanguay formal discussion could have taken place over a longer period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I wouldn't guess that either will come until tommorrow, at the earliest.
I'll be awake till then too. Night shift. That's how I always catch your drunken rants on the proposal threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
and a full season of Sauer, .
We hope.

Old
07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I just thought of something. If Tanguay was such a locker room cancer in Calgary, why would he sign with a team full of former teammates (Lombardi, Aucoin, Vandermeer) from that very same team? Maybe it was strictly more of an issue between the coach and the player and not the player and the rest of the team.

Old
07-27-2009, 11:03 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
I just thought of something. If Tanguay was such a locker room cancer in Calgary, why would he sign with a team full of former teammates (Lombardi, Aucoin, Vandermeer) from that very same team? Maybe it was strictly more of an issue between the coach and the player and not the player and the rest of the team.
From what Ive heard from Calgary fans and AFAIK, that was the case with Tanguay

Old
07-27-2009, 11:14 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
From what Ive heard from Calgary fans and AFAIK, that was the case with Tanguay
I've heard the same. Pretty much that Tanguay loved playing in Calgary before Keenan. Once Keenan came in, all hell broke loose. Tanguay would probably love playing under Gretzky, much to our chagrin.

Old
07-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
Hearsay has it at 2 yrs 4.25M cant wait for confirmation to morrow.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:13 AM
gorsk11

I really hope this is more than a rumor - I expect if this is announced, I'm expecting a domino effect for other teams and us...

I bet a few other UFA will now be signed as everyone was holding out trying to get Tanguay.....I expect the other remaining offensive playes to sign...

And with the money settled on Tanguay - maybe he know what he has available to give Upshall. Maybe this was holding up the Upshall signing as well.

If its true the NHL has to approve this - it worries me maybe we won't be able to sign Upshall. But I doubt that is the case....He will either get his QO or agree to something..... If he has to get it approved - is he going over his budget or is it the years they have to approve...??

Either way - it will be a nice signing - hopefully its less than $5Mil.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsk11 View Post

If its true the NHL has to approve this - it worries me maybe we won't be able to sign Upshall. But I doubt that is the case....He will either get his QO or agree to something..... If he has to get it approved - is he going over his budget or is it the years they have to approve...??
A QO is a de-facto contract, approved by the NHL in our case. The smart thing for both parties would be for Upshall to sign it (I think he will) and then to see how he works out, this season. I think he is trying to play a bit of hardball because perhaps he overachieved and wants to cash in. Maloney isnt buying that and rightfully so. I love Scottie but his ass can be traded at any time for someone who wants to be here and wont squabble over hundreds of thousands. Really, the guy has not paid his dues yet or really stuck with a team so to speak. I don't blame DM at all for the situation. We all know he is masterful with contracts.

This will be announced tomorrow, sometime. NHL office doesn't exactly work the graveyard shift.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:44 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
A QO is a de-facto contract, approved by the NHL in our case. The smart thing for both parties would be for Upshall to sign it (I think he will) and then to see how he works out, this season. I think he is trying to play a bit of hardball because perhaps he overachieved and wants to cash in. Maloney isnt buying that and rightfully so. I love Scottie but his ass can be traded at any time for someone who wants to be here and wont squabble over hundreds of thousands. Really, the guy has not paid his dues yet or really stuck with a team so to speak. I don't blame DM at all for the situation. We all know he is masterful with contracts.

This will be announced tomorrow, sometime. NHL office doesn't exactly work the graveyard shift.
I think that may be likely. I don't see Upshall getting more than a year or two with Mueller and Hanzal to sign next summer.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:51 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:

Good post. I too am extremely happy in this day and age, and with the way the team is being built. We have a GM that isn't going to go out and give ridiculous 10 year contracts banking on them reaching their potential. Look at a team like Chicago and how they are running there team right now, they could very well lose there most important core players, because they chose to overpay people.

Upshall has had less than a quarter of a good season with us. Him thinking he should be paid like a 30 goal scorer for that is crazy, considering he has never been close. I'm hoping he just agrees to a one year deal and both sides come out happy. He goes out next season and score 30, I don't think Maloney is going to have a problem with his payday. Within reason I'm sure.

Old
07-28-2009, 02:14 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I've heard the same. Pretty much that Tanguay loved playing in Calgary before Keenan. Once Keenan came in, all hell broke loose. Tanguay would probably love playing under Gretzky, much to our chagrin.
I can't say I blame him, if that is the case. I would probably have trouble fighting the massive frustration of trying to play for old iron oxides myself.

Old
07-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

The Lightning bought out Prospal. Hopefully the deal is already done, otherwise they'll probably top us.

Old
07-28-2009, 12:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
The Lightning bought out Prospal. Hopefully the deal is already done, otherwise they'll probably top us.
Yeah, I'm thinking they bought out Vinny because Tanguay is as good as a Bolt. I guess the league chose not to approve us signing him. I just hope that we get an explanation about all of this from Maloney, via Vest.

Old
07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Incidentally, Prospal just entered the market as a forward and I think he's a step above Comrie and Afinogenov. I'm pretty sure he's going through waivers first. If we truly aren't getting Tanguay, he's always an option.

He was 19-26-45 last season on a bad Tampa Bay Lightning team. Given his career stats, this upcoming season would be a "good" one since he bounces between good and bad seasons. He was also a -20, considerably lower than his teammates (Stamkos was the closest with a -13). He was signed for $3.5 annually until the end of the '11-'12 season.

I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal.

Last edited by Blubba Jenkins: 07-28-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old
07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I saw someone mention that the Lightning were interested in Sykora. Maybe they are going after him now since Tanguay may be a Coyote....at least I hope so. Tanguay would really make things interesting on this team.

Old
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I saw someone mention that the Lightning were interested in Sykora. Maybe they are going after him now since Tanguay may be a Coyote....at least I hope so. Tanguay would really make things interesting on this team.
funny i just posted the exact same thing on the other tanguay-phx page lol

Old
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
RR

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking they bought out Vinny because Tanguay is as good as a Bolt. I guess the league chose not to approve us signing him. I just hope that we get an explanation about all of this from Maloney, via Vest.
If it is Tanguay to TB, will be anxious to hear what those TB posters have to say now, after they were resolved he was Phoenix-bound and relieved to know TB wasn't going to pay him any more than $3M per. Does clearing another $2.3M by buying out Prospal mean $5.5M per for Tanguay?

Old
07-28-2009, 01:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Prospal could be a decent fit for Mueller. He's a good playmaker, for sure. He just got a fat chunk of change put in his pocket and would probably play for quite cheap. Also, while he took very few face-offs(220ish), last season, he was 53% on the dot. The year before, in Philly, he still didn't take a whole lot(260ish) but was 56% on the draw. The year before that he took very, very few(Vinny and Richards) with only 120ish, total, but ended up with a 52% win percentage. So, perhaps on a team not so stacked at center(we don't have Vinny, B.Richards, Stamkos, Briere, Carter, M. Richards, ect.) he could be a pretty good face-off guy. He might not look bad between Doan and Mueller. Maybe he could win more draws than he loses while racking up 40+ assists dishing it off the Pete. One year and two million bucks would be a raise over what he was going to make this season, anyway(when you add the buy-out amount). Should make re-signing Upshall a little easier, too. Of course the fact that he's slow and poor defensively would make Doan's role on this line a little overwhelming.

Last edited by rt: 07-28-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
yakko

Quote:
Prospal could be a decent fit for Mueller. He's a good playmaker, for sure. He just got a fat chunk of change put in his pocket and would probably play for quite cheap.
I would take this as a plan B if Tanguay isn't going to sign with the Coyotes. I don't see many other options unless Maloney has a clever trade up his sleeve to add a top six forward.

Quote:
Of course the fact that he's slow and poor defensively would make Doan's role on this line a little overwhelming.
What's new?

Old
07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
What's new?
True, and really all of the UFA options that are left are all quite poor defensively. Sykora, and Afinogenov make Enver Lisin look like Jere Lehtinen, and then there is Mike Comrie who's not great either. At least Prospal can possibly win face-offs, which none of those other guys can. His being slow might actually be beneficial to Pete, too. I just don't think one of the speedster playmakers that make passes on the fly really work with a patient, positioning guy like Mueller. Lombardi or Boedker might just be too much. A more brains, less actual skill guy like Prospal might be the better fit. Might be. Obviously, Tanguay would be better, but boo hoo, this is Phoenix, things like that don't happen to us, boo hoo.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:55 PM
RR

Quote:
Prospal could be a decent fit for Mueller. He's a good playmaker, for sure. He just got a fat chunk of change put in his pocket and would probably play for quite cheap. Also, while he took very few face-offs(220ish), last season, he was 53% on the dot. The year before, in Philly, he still didn't take a whole lot(260ish) but was 56% on the draw. The year before that he took very, very few(Vinny and Richards) with only 120ish, total, but ended up with a 52% win percentage. So, perhaps on a team not so stacked at center(we don't have Vinny, B.Richards, Stamkos, Briere, Carter, M. Richards, ect.) he could be a pretty good face-off guy. He might not look bad between Doan and Mueller. Maybe he could win more draws than he loses while racking up 40+ assists dishing it off the Pete. One year and two million bucks would be a raise over what he was going to make this season, anyway(when you add the buy-out amount). Should make re-signing Upshall a little easier, too. Of course the fact that he's slow and poor defensively would make Doan's role on this line a little overwhelming.
Interesting. Wild speculation but I wonder if TB was shopping Prospal to us in a deal so it could sign Tanguay, and DMGM rejected expressing instead interest in Tanguay. With the buyout we'd end up give up nothing in the way of assets, get Prospal on a bargain contract for 2 years, with plenty left over to sign Upshall and perhaps a "goon" with some offensive upside to go with the pugilist skills.

Not a bad strategy if you knew all along couldn't afford Tanguay or league wouldn't agree to a deal of more than 2 years.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Update from random hockey blogger dude that nobody has ever heard of...

Quote:
Phoenix

As i reported last week the NHL needs to approve any deal made by the Coyotes. At this moment the Tanguay deal is in the hands of the NHL. Phoenix had also signed Tanguay last week but at a cost the NHL would not approve. The announcement will be made tomorrow that the NHL has approved the signing of Tanguay as Phoenix followed all recomondations set forth by the NHL on the last dealing
http://lowkey-hockey.blogspot.com/ht....blogspot.com/

If this ******* is effing with our emotions...

...okay, well he probably is.

Last edited by PhoPhan: 07-28-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo subverted profanity filter
Old
07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
yakko

Quote:
...okay, well he probably is.
...and it's working.

Old
07-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Tanguay's definitely #1 on my list, but I wouldn't mind taking a cheap gamble on Prospal either. I would think that both players markets are a similar batch of teams with some cap room that are trying to improve their team like the Coyotes. There might be some GM's out there that get more excited for Prospal for some unknown reason, but I doubt the market is huge for him, just like there wasn't much market for Tanguay.

Old
07-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I didnt think it was possible for my appreciation for GMDM to go any higher but if he lands Tanguay he will have exceeded all my expectations by a huge margin. Tanguay is a top-class player and a true left winger.. its a pet peeve of mine that the Coyotes have played guys out of position there. The balance he brings to the lines will be worth a lot more than just his points. He's also soft and cant carry a team in the way Doan or Jovo can but give the age and money being talked about, it's potentially an excellent signing, far beyond what I thought the Coyotes could attract.

Closed Thread