HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Trade with Montreal?

Old
07-26-2009, 09:16 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Isn't Plekenac pretty much a center and can play nothing else?

We don't have room for another center. Marleau play's LW now.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Hey guys,

Honest question here..

Let's say you're offered Plekanec & Halak for Marleau.

Do you do it? Just wondering since it'd free up cap space, and Marleau is a pending UFA. Would that work for Marleau?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
I'd rather take a shot at the Cup with Marleau ...
I'd rather lose in the 1st round with Marleau next year than take crap that makes us worse and offers very little value for a 38 goal scorer.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Hey guys,

Honest question here..

Let's say you're offered Plekanec & Halak for Marleau.

Do you do it? Just wondering since it'd free up cap space, and Marleau is a pending UFA. Would that work for Marleau?
Not a chance. The cap relief will come from the defense since we have 7 NHL defensemen signed. At worst case, the team could send down Cheechoo. But trading Marleau for lesser talent isn't a good solution for the Sharks this year. Its probably the last legitimate shot they have with this core of players ............... unless Marleau's wife insists that they stay in San Jose for $4M a season next year.

07-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Price4Prez

To Montreal:

Marleau
Cheechoo
Greiss

To San Jose:

Plekanec
A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Halak

Habs: get a center that they need. A back-up goalie that will not challenge Price for the number one spot, and a big winger that Martin was looking for to pair with Gomez and Gionta.

Sharks: get a goalie who can challenge for the number one spot, possibly replace Nabakov next year when he falls to free agency. They get a younger and moree dynamic winger in Kostitsyn to rpelace Cheechoo for the same price. His brother who has plenty potential, just needs to get out of Montreal to exploit, can easily be a second line winger. Plekanec can fill Marleaus spot or can play behind Pavelski. Very capable 2 way center at half the cost of Marleau.

Thoughts???

Price4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Prez View Post
To Montreal:

Marleau
Cheechoo
Greiss

To San Jose:

Plekanec
A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Halak

Habs: get a center that they need. A back-up goalie that will not challenge Price for the number one spot, and a big winger that Martin was looking for to pair with Gomez and Gionta.

Sharks: get a goalie who can challenge for the number one spot, possibly replace Nabakov next year when he falls to free agency. They get a younger and moree dynamic winger in Kostitsyn to rpelace Cheechoo for the same price. His brother who has plenty potential, just needs to get out of Montreal to exploit, can easily be a second line winger. Plekanec can fill Marleaus spot or can play behind Pavelski. Very capable 2 way center at half the cost of Marleau.

Thoughts???
I think the Habs fans are really high on A. Kostitsyn, so I dunno. From what I've seen he's a decent player.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
matt trick

Done!
3 speedy top 6 forwards signed for about 7.3 million (closer to 10 the following year however) for 1 first liner with great speed and a second liner with no speed for 9.3 million. Goalies are arguably in our favor as well. No chance but Montreal does it, but that would be a sweet set of forwards.

A. Kost-Thorton-Setoguchi
Michalek-Pavelski-S. Kost
Clowe-Plekanec-Mitchell
McGinn-Nichol-Ortmeyer/UFA
Staubitz

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Ehrhoff-Huskins
Joslin

Nabby
Halak
Total is just at the cap however.

Last edited by matt trick: 07-27-2009 at 11:51 PM.
matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 11:25 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Done!
3 speedy top 6 forwards signed for about 7.3 million (closer to 10 the following year however) for 1 first liner with great speed and a second liner with no speed for 9.3 million. Goalies are arguably in our favor as well. No chance but Montreal does it, but that would be a sweet set of forwards.

Clowe-Plekanec-Mitchell
Staubitz

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Ehrhoff-Murray
Joslin

Nabby
Halak
You have Murray on defense twice so I assume Huskins replaces one of them. Not sure I break up Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe, because S. Kostitsyn is the least skilled of the 4. Probably swap Sergei with Clowe and that's not a bad lineup

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Admiral*

Quote:
To Montreal:

Marleau
Cheechoo
Greiss

To San Jose:

Plekanec
A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Halak

Thoughts???
No. Both Kostitsyn's are little girls and about the ugliest mother ****ers on the planet. Sergei is basically worthless and for some reason every Habs fan thinks A. Kostitsyn is worth a lot for whatever reason. I wouldn't trade Cheechoo for A. Kostitsyn straight up.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 11:37 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Done!

Clowe-Plekanec-Mitchell
Staubitz

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Ehrhoff-Murray
Joslin

Nabby
Halak
So we complain that 3 mil is too much for a third liner so we trade and put a 3.5 mil on the third line? I don't think Clowe would be able to do much with Plekanec and Mitchell either.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 11:45 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
You have Murray on defense twice so I assume Huskins replaces one of them. Not sure I break up Michalek-Pavelski-Clowe, because S. Kostitsyn is the least skilled of the 4. Probably swap Sergei with Clowe and that's not a bad lineup
Correct on Murray=Huskins

Agree on S. Kostitsyn being the worst of the four, it is split up to cover weaknesses.

Offensively- Thornton, Setoguchi, Pavelski, Michalek, A. Kost, Plekanec, Clowe, S. Kost, Mitchell
Defensively- Pavelski, Michalek, Mitchell, Thornton, Setoguchi, Clowe, Andrei/Plekaec/Sergei

Each of the top three lines have one of the three worst defensively, but still plenty of firepower.

The three slowest are Clowe, Thornton, and Pavelski- all on different lines.

The three fastest are Michalek, Mitchell, Setoguchi- all on different lines.

Plekanec is probably the softest so he gets two of the grittiest in Clowe and Mitchell for wingers.

Thornton is the best passer so he gets the top 2 snipers.

Look for a solid defensive 4th line wing (Park, R. Nieds) and you have a decent enough shutdown line and three good scoring lines that are all capable of playing 15 minutes per, except the 4th which would be better than most teams 4th lines.

Old
07-27-2009, 11:49 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
So we complain that 3 mil is too much for a third liner so we trade and put a 3.5 mil on the third line? I don't think Clowe would be able to do much with Plekanec and Mitchell either.
Totally different scenario. Playing a declining slow 3 million dollar Jonathan Cheechoo on the thir dline with Marcel Goc and Mike Grier is entirely different than playing Clowe with a guy who has had a 70 point season, and a Torrey Mitchell. As I just said in my last post, that line could struggle to put up points so you could move one of Seto or Michalek into Clowe's space.

I am against trading Marleau in general, and this trade would never, ever happen, but getting three young top 6 forwards for him and Cheechoo seems like a solid use of assets.
Also Dhuang

FWIW, I just spitballed the lines, and I am sure there would be a ton of tinkering, but my lines were thought out.

Old
07-28-2009, 01:40 AM
suitup17

Quote:
To Montreal:

Marleau
Cheechoo
Greiss

To San Jose:

Plekanec
A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Halak

Thoughts???
I just threw up. Is this Eklund?

suitup17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:05 AM
PerfectStorm*

Tarde proposal: Thornton, Boyle, Marleau, Michalek for Gomez, Markov, Camalleri, Gionta, Montreal 1st round picks in 2010, 2011, 2012, good deal amirite?

PerfectStorm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:05 AM
vilpertti

Now that Koivu and Komisarek are gone from the Habs, there is absolutely no one on that team besides Andrei Markov that should be of any interest for a contending team.

And a note to Habs fans, adding more junk to an offer doesn't make it more appealing, it makes it LESS appealing.

vilpertti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:49 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
Tarde proposal: Thornton, Boyle, Marleau, Michalek for Gomez, Markov, Camalleri, Gionta, Montreal 1st round picks in 2010, 2011, 2012, good deal amirite?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:57 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
Now that Koivu and Komisarek are gone from the Habs, there is absolutely no one on that team besides Andrei Markov that should be of any interest for a contending team.

And a note to Habs fans, adding more junk to an offer doesn't make it more appealing, it makes it LESS appealing.
You don't understand Habs fans' menalities. They have the best goalie in the game in Price, the best defenseman in Markov, the best contract in Gomez and the best future with Gainey.

A. Kostitsyn will score 50 goals and 100 points in his career, etc...

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:58 AM
baydrake
gutless performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
i agree. i wouldn't want the sharks to do anything that major with montreal. so much of their team has just been added via trade or free agency there's really no one tempting to me that's likely even to be available.

the K bros. are intriguing because it's assumed they would be moved together and the sharks could use a 3rd line wing (SK? not sure how good he, or AK for that matter, is defensively). i vaguely remember some article about their possible involvement with the russian mafia, but even if there's no truth behind that, i don't see them as a missing piece of the puzzle. would rather find a different 3rd liner.

markov is obviously valuable but i doubt he gets moved and even if he were available that would make for a crazy-expensive D corps in SJ.

so then what? latendresse, lapierre, or d'agostini (depends on his contract)? they interest me for possible 3rd line duty... maybe MTL would swap one with o'byrne for murray+?

baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Le Rosbeef

I personally don't want to see any Russians who aren't bonafide NHL stars on the Sharks, or even Europeans with question marks over their performance. Too risky. I'm sure that Marleau won't end up in the KHL - not so sure about the others like Kostitsyn and so on. Bad asset management... they're your problem, you can keep them

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Requin
Lurkedylurk

OK, normally I think bad trade proposals are more annoying than funny, but this one is highly entertaining: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=667640

[It's a Montreal proposal, that's why I stuck it in this thread.]

Requin is offline   Reply With Quote