HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wellwood Arbitration - Re-signed @ $1.2 million

Old
07-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
You think Hodgson is going to be able to step in as a rookie and play well enough to hold down the third line Center spot?

Don't think so. Despite what many people here believe, third line Center is an important position where defensive responsibility and systems play are paramount.

Hodgson of course, does not slack defensively, but in his first season, I would be shocked if he's prepared to carry the load of a third line center, full time.
The difference is that the Sedins/Burrows provide decent defensive play when they are out there. Kesler/Samuelson on the second line provides defensive awareness as well. I don't have a problem with three lines that can score and matching up lines 1a/1b with the top lines of the other squads. The fourth line with Rypien and Johnson provide a third line type role as well. Add Hansen to that 4th line and it is essentially a third line with a 4th line label.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Wellwood is a great contingency plan. Also, after showing he can handle steady 3rd line duties, it's nice to know he is around in case Demo is out for periods of time, or if we need to switch things up on the PP. Also, I love CoHo as much as the next guy, but he most likely will struggle at times in his rookie season, so again, it's nice having Wellwood around to plug and play into different parts of the lineup. I don't know if Hodgson can just jump into the center position in his first year.

Having Byron Ritchie/Isbister/Goren a couple years back was paiiiiiiiiinful to watch when they had to be utilized in any other role but the 4th line, so I really really hope Wellwood gets 1.5 million and has another year to prove himself.
What K_R said.

And Jesus, yeah, people need to lay off of Demitra already. He's fair value for what he brings to the table.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambofgod View Post
Was there supposed to be a decision today?
A decision takes 48 hours.

Hedberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
A decision takes 48 hours.
You know, lawyers and stuff.

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Ernie

I don't mind Wellwood back for $1.3m - $1.5m as a backup plan given Demitra's injury. But he's on a short f-ing leash.

IF Wellwood is a 40-50 point center who skates back hard on the back check, I like him at $1.5m. If Wellwood is a 27 point center who only shows up half the time and runs incredibly hot and cold, then I'd rather have a more "heart and soul" player in the lineup.

The moment Sundin decides to come back, or if Hodgson and Kesler have locked up 2nd/3rd line center positions, it's down to the minors and buh-bye to the NHL for him. But unlike last season, there's no cap room this season to keep around dead weight on the team.

It might be hard to say that for a player who oozes skill like he does. And don't get me wrong - there were times last season when I was definitely cheering for him (that black eye actually made him look like a hockey player).

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 04:03 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I don't mind Wellwood back for $1.3m - $1.5m as a backup plan given Demitra's injury. But he's on a short f-ing leash.

IF Wellwood is a 40-50 point center who skates back hard on the back check, I like him at $1.5m. If Wellwood is a 27 point center who only shows up half the time and runs incredibly hot and cold, then I'd rather have a more "heart and soul" player in the lineup.

The moment Sundin decides to come back, or if Hodgson and Kesler have locked up 2nd/3rd line center positions, it's down to the minors and buh-bye to the NHL for him. But unlike last season, there's no cap room this season to keep around dead weight on the team.

It might be hard to say that for a player who oozes skill like he does. And don't get me wrong - there were times last season when I was definitely cheering for him (that black eye actually made him look like a hockey player).
Completely agree with you. It seems the perception of Wellwood on here is mostly positive because his latest streak of good play happened at the end of the year and is still fresh on everyone's mind.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambofgod View Post
Was there supposed to be a decision today?
A decision can be issued by the Arbitrator at any time within 48 hours of the close of the hearing.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Wetcoaster

The report after the hearing sounds like it went off without fireworks:
Quote:
Kyle Wellwood's salary arbitration hearing was described Tuesday as a civil affair that lasted better than four hours and ended with assistant general manager Laurence Gilman and the Canuck centre shaking hands.

"I think both sides conducted themselves in a very professional manner," Gilman said by phone from Toronto after the hearing ended. "Both parties put their best foot forward."
"I spoke with Kyle after the hearing," Gilman said. "We shook hands and I asked him how he felt it went and he said that he was fine with it. Kyle was good. Our counsel presented a very rational, cogent and logical argument. Nothing was directed at Kyle personally. Everything was within the bounds of reasonableness."
A negotiated settlement between now and Thursday also remains a possibility.

"Sure, I have been part of deals where they have been settled in the middle of the hearing," Gilman said. "Sometimes they get settled between the time the hearing is finished and the award is made. So anything is possible."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...905/story.html

Old
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
windflare

More importantly:

Quote:
At Tuesday's hearing, both sides presented a salary number to the arbitrator. Gilman said the range between those numbers was "relatively narrow."

"Listen, you can sometimes have a range of over a million dollars," Gilman said. "Ours is not that great."

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
timw33

Canucks get to chose whether it is a 1 or 2 year deal yeah?

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:39 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I thought the sticking point was always a multi-year deal? I thought the Canucks were set on only a 1 year deal but that the price was allready negotiated?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Canucks get to chose whether it is a 1 or 2 year deal yeah?
The term was to have been elected in the Canucks' brief filed 48 hours before the hearing. If not elected it is deemed to be one year deal.

I heard the Canucks did elect a one year term.

Old
07-28-2009, 07:45 PM
YogiCanucks

Visual representation of our Forwards

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Isn't it a nice problem to have too many quality top 9 forwards?

It wasn't that long ago we were calling up Brad Moran to play in our top 6 and Byron Ritchie and Brad Isbister got regular power play minutes.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Visual representation of our Forwards
more like:

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

He's going to be back on the team next year, mark it down on your rosters.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
David71

i love wellwood, but if he asks too much for gillis's liking then Say bye-bye, spend that money elsewhere.

David71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 10:58 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luo The First View Post
He's going to be back on the team next year, mark it down on your rosters.
I would, but making next year's roster is ****ing tough. Unless there are changes coming, we won't know until training camp.

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Apparently we're offering him a $2,500 raise.

07-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Apparently we're offering him a $2,500 raise.
Are you sure that's not $25,000?

Old
07-28-2009, 11:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Are you sure that's not $25,000?
Yup, positive:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...155/story.html

Quote:
The Canucks offered Wellwood a modest raise of $2,500 over his $997,500 salary from last season
IMO that's a slap in the face...but would be nice if he accepted.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Yup, positive:
That's interesting. He probably isn't really worth a raise from what he got last season, but I would thought he'd get a larger increase on the offer than that.

Old
07-29-2009, 12:04 AM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan View Post
I would, but making next year's roster is ****ing tough. Unless there are changes coming, we won't know until training camp.
Roster is easy, actual line-ups will be harder. I don't think he's 100% a regular fixture in the lineup, he'll likely be the 13th man I'd assume (Hordi is dressing for probably just over half the games, I think they'll use him a tiny bit more sparingly this year)

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 12:40 AM
alternate

count me in the "keep Wellwood" camp.

I guess it's a good thing that we can now take skill and face-off savy for granted, but I'm still in favour of having too much of it on the roster.

I really don't like our C depth without Wellwood or another addition.

after Henrik:

Kesler is good. if he starts the season as our #2 C I'm okay with it. but I do prefer him on the wing in the top 6.

Demo I don't really even consider a C. he's so much better on the wing. besides, he's going to miss 20+ games in all likelihood, and that's if he starts the season on time.

Johnson, great 4th liner, but we are pretty weak if he has to move up the roster.

Hodgson would be a rookie (for those that don't know) and I hate the idea of needing a rookie to anchor one of our top 3 lines. and if he's not ready, there's absolutely no depth to fill in, especially when Demitra is out of the lineup.

Rypien, has health concerns to begin with, and isn't an upgrade on Johnson.

Bolduc needs another season with the Moose.

We need Wellwood on this roster. he brings skill to any line, can win face-offs, can QB a 2nd PP unit, good on shoot-outs, and is smart and defensively responsible. really, the only negative about him (assuming, as I am, that his conditioning concerns are behind him) is his size. But considering the options available for less than $1.5m, I'll take Wellwood's skill and versatility at the expense of his size.

alternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 12:45 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Wellwood, if anything, is a back-up plan if Hogdson can't cut it.

I'd much rather go into camp knowing that Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Demitra, Samuelsson, Wellwood, Bernier, Raymond, Hodgson, Grabner, Hansen, Johnson, Rypien, Hordichuk were vying for spots.

We have enough money for a defenseman, and I'm much more comfortable going into camp with 15+ forwards looking for roster spots. If we don't have top-end talent at least we have depth.

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote