HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player Inquiry Thread (ALL other player-related threads will be deleted)

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2009, 03:41 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

vCash: 500
See what I am confused about is right before the trade deadline it was reported that GMDM tired to work something out w/ DeMo, where DeMo wanted 2+ years and GMDM could only offer a single year. Now obviously we don't know the numbers, but even if it was a high $2m to low $3m number (would be a very reasonable guess) why wouldn't DeMo have taken it (in hindsight) his family and kids are growing up in the Valley and love living here. One of his kids even plays on a local travel team. All things being equal if your DeMo wouldn't you much rather to continue to play in the Valley? I suspect this is an instance where an Agent completely mis guessed the market for his client.

Old
07-25-2009, 04:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
See what I am confused about is right before the trade deadline it was reported that GMDM tired to work something out w/ DeMo, where DeMo wanted 2+ years and GMDM could only offer a single year. Now obviously we don't know the numbers, but even if it was a high $2m to low $3m number (would be a very reasonable guess) why wouldn't DeMo have taken it (in hindsight) his family and kids are growing up in the Valley and love living here. One of his kids even plays on a local travel team. All things being equal if your DeMo wouldn't you much rather to continue to play in the Valley? I suspect this is an instance where an Agent completely mis guessed the market for his client.
Also, Boston is a contender. One year deals make more sense with contenders.

Old
07-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Snipeshow

Is Turris going to be back with the big club next season?

Old
07-25-2009, 05:51 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Is Turris going to be back with the big club next season?
We have better depth at center this season than last. I'm going to say unless he wins the a top 6 spot I would say no. I believe he got injured this summer, and I'm curious to see how much weight he has put on during the offseason, since that was what he needed to work on most. There's been talk of Mueller going back to center, as well so it's looking likely that he will be starting the season on the Rampage. Although nothing has been indicated by the organization that is what's going to happen.

Old
07-25-2009, 06:16 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
My guess is he and his agent were hoping things would be straightened out here by July 1 and we'd be in a position to sign him to 3 years with a hometown discount. He likely entered FA looking for more than a year so DMGM pulled the trigger on Aucoin for a year, at less money than Morris was seeking.

I think you're right about his agent misreading the market, which is probably why DMo signed a 1-year deal with Boston and he'll test FA again next year. And maybe we'll be in a better position to sign him to a 2-3 year deal then, if we still want him.

If we've learned anything about Maloney this off-season it is he doesn't waste time.

Old
07-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
My guess is he and his agent were hoping things would be straightened out here by July 1 and we'd be in a position to sign him to 3 years with a hometown discount. He likely entered FA looking for more than a year so DMGM pulled the trigger on Aucoin for a year, at less money than Morris was seeking.

I think you're right about his agent misreading the market, which is probably why DMo signed a 1-year deal with Boston and he'll test FA again next year. And maybe we'll be in a better position to sign him to a 2-3 year deal then, if we still want him.

If we've learned anything about Maloney this off-season it is he doesn't waste time.
Keep in mind that playing a year in Boston will likely make DMo look very very good. If he stays healthy all season he'll likely be worth even more as a UFA next year.

Old
07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

What's Kyle Turris's potentiel and is he going to play in the "A" or the NHL ???

I come in peace people...

I was just wondering if Kyle Turris has a shot at cracking your lineup this season cause he did have a pretty solid season last year for a 18 year old who played on one of the worst offensive teams in the league (sorry ) and saw limited minutes as well.

You guys have a solid core of youngsters and maybe Turris would benefit by playing a full season in the minors with your usual call-up here and there... Am I wrong or is he going to be part of your opening roster come October ???

I just need some "inside info" on the kid cause I personnaly think that he has all the tools to become one of the best all around players in the game in the not so distant future but alot of people are calling him a "bust" for some reason.

Thanks

Old
07-28-2009, 02:19 PM
doaner

It's the A all the way

Old
07-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

He's AHL-bound unless he turns head at camp.

But don't believe the "bust" nonsense yet. I think he will be very similar to the Bobby Ryan story.

Old
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
I think he will be very similar to the Bobby Ryan story.
Except Kyle needs to add weight, not lose it.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Another poster sent me a PM asking about Turris. I responded with an terribly long-winded reply. Perhaps if anyone is actually that interested, they can have a read. If nobody bothers, I totally understand. I wrote the thing, and even I wouldn't want to read it. In fact, I haven't, so hopefully it actually makes sense.

Quote:
Quote:
what is all this (Pheonix fans) based talk of Turris spending the year in the AHL? Is that based onsomething said by managment, or speculation, or just putting pieces together?'
It's a little bit of all of that. Management has admitted, in the media, multiple times that they feel that they rushed Kyle Turris, and that it was a mistake. They've also said that fans should not be suprised if some of the young guys that made the team out of camp, last season, don't make the cut, this season. Given the moves we've made, including possibly adding Tanguay tommorrow(even if not Tanguay, Maloney has said he wants another top six scorer), there are less spots to be had by young guys, this camp, anyway. So, it's kind of assumed that guys like Porter and Ahnelov, who made it out of camp, last year, probably won't do so again, this year. Also, Dan Winnik's two-way contract, and Maloney's desire to add an enforcer(taking a bottom six spot) probably hurts Winnik's chances quite a bit. Peter Mueller isn't going to be sent down, obviously, and no way in hell is Martin Hanzal going anywhere. Korpikoski is on a one-way deal, and Mikkel Boedker isn't AHL eligible, because he was in the CHL the year before last, and is not twenty years old yet. Viktor Tikhonov and the Don Maloney had an understanding when he signed here that it would be NHL or KHL, for him. He accepted a short conditioning stint in the AHL, last season, but I would not expect that he'd be okay with being cut from camp. He's older than some of the other young guys(he was drafted at age twenty), played pro hockey in Russia for a few years, and was already used to making good money, over there. I don't blame him for not wanting to make peanuts in the AHL. So, that kind of leaves Kyle Turris.
Quote:
I've always really liked Turris, still do, and am not sure that that is the best solution for him at all. His PPG was near identical to Lecavelier's rookie season...
I don't think anyone is losing faith in Turris, or souring on him in any way. The fact is that he wasn't ready for the NHL, last season. He should've stayed in college. It was a mistake on the part of the organization, and one they've admitted to. Nobody blames Kyle for it.

It's a good point you bring up about Lecavalier, but Vinny was a big, big boy on a horrendous team. I mean they weren't only the worst team in the NHL, but didn't even manage to win twenty games. Their leading scorer was Darcy Tucker who had twenty one goals and twenty two assists, and he was one of only two players with at least fourty points. Vinny's twenty eight points was good enough for fourth in team scoring. Now, the Coyotes weren't exactly a powerhouse, last season, or anything, but there was actually a considerable amount of talent for Turris to work with. The team was actually in fifth place in the West at the All-Star break. We were just too young and fell apart after that. A large part of Turris' problem simply that he was just not physically mature enough to play his game at the NHL level. It wasn't just that he was too skinny, although that was a big part of it. He just looked out of place. So, even if he has packed on some pounds, this summer, that still doesn't garantee that he can steal a top six spot(and it will have to be top six for him to make the team).

I think a lot of it is that many of us have a hard time seeing a downside to him starting in San Antonio. For the first time in a long, long time we should actually have a good farm team. We've got a ton of our good prospects finally reaching the AHL level, and they have a good chance of contending. If Turris ends up struggling, playing limited minutes, on a bad team, in a league he's not ready for in Phoenix again, what does that do to his development? Why not let him put up monster numbers, with huge minutes, on a good team, in a league that's not ready for him in San Antonio, instead. I mean, he's got to get his confidence up.

Then again, if he comes to camp and just blows everyone away, then we've got problem. Too many good players and not enough spots for them. That's always a great problem to have. If that's the case, I would guess that we'll just carry fourteen forwards for a couple of weeks until things sort themselves out.
If you actually made it to the end, you have my apologies.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:43 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If you actually made it to the end, you have my apologies.
I made it and it wasn't even hard to make it. I think the key is the second to last paragraph.

Old
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Marleau or Joe T?

Thank you to everyone here for taking the time to answer any questions I have asked before in the past and will ask in the future since my hockey knowledge is not even close to that of a hockey scholar. I dont want to make a fool of myself, although after seeing some of the responses I got in relation to my inquiry about Sean Avery being a Yote, looks like I did end up becoming what I didnt want to be.

Oh well, so much for believing that rehab actually works!

If San Jose is willing to trade either Marleau or Joe T to Phoenix which of these 2 would be a better fit for the team?

Old
07-29-2009, 04:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm sorry if the board came off as overly blunt or rude regarding your Avery idea. I think Sean Avery is just a particularly sensitive topic, around here. Though, I know sometimes I'm guilty of coming off as an a-hole, even when I don't intend to. It's just an unfortunate by-product of my poor writing skills. I could say the same thing in a face to face conversation and not have it misinterpreted as me being a dick head. It seems like on the internet I'm arrogant and rude even though in real life I'm a total *****cat, a sweetheart. I guess, on message boards, it's too easy to get lazy about choosing words carefully and making sure that the tone of your reply is the one you intended. Though, I'm not sure I'm actually capable of truly conveying the tone I'd like to with any kind of regularity. I just never made it far enough in school, I guess.

Anyway, about Marleau and Thornton, it's not too often that you see All-Star players, in their primes, traded to division rivals. I doubt very much that the Sharks would be interested in trading either to us. Also, I don't think the Coyotes would be too interested in paying, in terms of assets, what it would cost to acquire either player. San Jose would probably be looking for a kid like Turris, Boedker, or Larsson. Further, I don't think the Coyotes can afford either player, considering our financial issues and their respective salaries. Putting all of that aside, and just looking purely at which player would be the better fit, not taking into consideration what holes would open up in the potential trade, I would say Joe Thornton. He's just the better player. Marleau is the better skater, better defensive player, and a team captain, but I think in a case like that, you just have to take Thornton, who when he's on his game, can be as good an offensive player as anyone on the planet, not named Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin.

Old
07-29-2009, 05:00 PM
XX
... Waiting

Isn't big Joe a UFA next summer? I don't think the Sharks will be looking to keep him, after his choking act(s).

Old
07-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I would love to have Thornton with Mueller. It'll never happen though.

Old
07-29-2009, 05:07 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
I would love to have Thornton with Mueller. It'll never happen though.
So they can stand at the half boards with a silly, slightly stoned look on their faces and play patty cake with the puck?

Old
07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Isn't big Joe a UFA next summer? I don't think the Sharks will be looking to keep him, after his choking act(s).
He would probably come here just so he didnt have to face Hanzal anymore.

Old
07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm sorry if the board came off as overly blunt or rude regarding your Avery idea. I think Sean Avery is just a particularly sensitive topic, around here. Though, I know sometimes I'm guilty of coming off as an a-hole, even when I don't intend to. It's just an unfortunate by-product of my poor writing skills. I could say the same thing in a face to face conversation and not have it misinterpreted as me being a dick head. It seems like on the internet I'm arrogant and rude even though in real life I'm a total *****cat, a sweetheart. I guess, on message boards, it's too easy to get lazy about choosing words carefully and making sure that the tone of your reply is the one you intended. Though, I'm not sure I'm actually capable of truly conveying the tone I'd like to with any kind of regularity. I just never made it far enough in school, I guess.

Anyway, about Marleau and Thornton, it's not too often that you see All-Star players, in their primes, traded to division rivals. I doubt very much that the Sharks would be interested in trading either to us. Also, I don't think the Coyotes would be too interested in paying, in terms of assets, what it would cost to acquire either player. San Jose would probably be looking for a kid like Turris, Boedker, or Larsson. Further, I don't think the Coyotes can afford either player, considering our financial issues and their respective salaries. Putting all of that aside, and just looking purely at which player would be the better fit, not taking into consideration what holes would open up in the potential trade, I would say Joe Thornton. He's just the better player. Marleau is the better skater, better defensive player, and a team captain, but I think in a case like that, you just have to take Thornton, who when he's on his game, can be as good an offensive player as anyone on the planet, not named Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin.
No worries RT! I have some pretty thick skin considering I didnt receive any insults!
Also trust me when I say this! I'm a UofA grad after seeing the writing skills of the fine PhD professors the schools has to offer *snicker* your writing skills and depth are much better. plus you don't seem to be the type of person that would hate America either if you get what I mean?

Anyways yea, looking at the current money status and where these 2 play they both would be out of the question for now unless down the road things improve and JR is willing to open the purse strings at some point.

Joe T played a big role in getting the Sharks to do well in the regular season and into the playoffs since that mess early on for the Sharks in their first season since the lockout when then seemed to not make the playoffs after coming off a season when the team lost in 6 to Calgary in the WCF. For some reason though he can't bring it in the playoffs and that is what would worry me if down the road the Coyotes turn the corner and become a contender. Of course that assuming if next season he becomes a UFA and the pieces fall into place.

PM I wouldn't mind trying him out more and maybe be the captain to see how Doan would play without having the C!

But who knows at this point!

Old
07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
He would probably come here just so he didnt have to face Hanzal anymore.
I would guess that he's a Leaf, if he hits the market.

Old
07-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Joe T played a big role in getting the Sharks to do well in the regular season and into the playoffs since that mess early on for the Sharks in their first season since the lockout when then seemed to not make the playoffs after coming off a season when the team lost in 6 to Calgary in the WCF. For some reason though he can't bring it in the playoffs and that is what would worry me if down the road the Coyotes turn the corner and become a contender. Of course that assuming if next season he becomes a UFA and the pieces fall into place.

PM I wouldn't mind trying him out more and maybe be the captain to see how Doan would play without having the C!

But who knows at this point!
While Doan is a Coyote, he will be captain, you can bank on that! Plus I think having a captain like Doan would likely be good for Thornton should that acquisition actually materialize. Marleau has a similar personality to Thornton (which I think is part of San Jose's problem) and is not good captain material IMHO. They are both shrinking violets.

Old
07-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Why would we remove the captaincy from Doan? He has proven that he is a great captain and he's been putting up career numbers.

Old
07-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I would take Marleau over JT, personally for this team. But still, no way the Coyotes have what SJ wants. No way they trade either Patrick or Joe within the division either.

Old
07-29-2009, 09:27 PM
wings5

Is Kyle Turris working with a coyotes trainer this summer to gain weight?

Old
07-30-2009, 02:37 PM
RR

A little OT but for better students of the Coyotes than me, which of our centers and wingers are absolute fixtures to one position only (i.e., plays left wing and can play nowhere else; can play center and nowhere else)? And I don't mean just in a pinch.
Curious from the perspective that if we lose a couple of guys to injury do we at least have a few who can play another position equally well, so we're not too reliant on San Antonio when injuries hit and having guys playing out of position.

Closed Thread