HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Most valuable Ranger in entire organization #10

View Poll Results: Most valuable Ranger in entire organization #10
Girardi 19 26.39%
Higgins 9 12.50%
McDonagh 1 1.39%
Del Zotto 13 18.06%
Sanguinetti 1 1.39%
Zherdev 8 11.11%
Rozsival 17 23.61%
Kotalik 0 0%
Lisin 0 0%
Redden 2 2.78%
Brashear 1 1.39%
Stepan 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
coolbean04

vCash: 500
Most valuable Ranger in entire organization #10

1. Lundqvist
2. Staal
3. Gaborik
4. Dubinsky
5. Callahan
6. Drury
7. Grachev
8. Avery
9. Anisimov

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:53 PM
John Torturella

Girardi. He is a proven middle pairing, very solid, young, cheap defenseman. The others are either overpaid or unproven or just bums.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
NYR MacTruck

im now voting zherdev until either he is not on this team or he wins the poll because the fact that 2 prospects that have never played an NHL game are ahead of a 60 pt 24 year old NHL player blows my mind.

NYR MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD91 View Post
im now voting zherdev until either he is not on this team or he wins the poll because the fact that 2 prospects that have never played an NHL game are ahead of a 60 pt 24 year old NHL player blows my mind.
I'm voting for Rozsival because he is on this team as a top pairing defenseman who plays 20+ minutes a night on the PP and PK and has been for the past 4 seasons now and the fact that 2 prospects that have never played an NHL game are ahead of our top pairing dmen blows my mind.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I'm voting for Rozsival because he is on this team as a top pairing defenseman who plays 20+ minutes a night on the PP and PK and has been for the past 4 seasons now and the fact that 2 prospects that have never played an NHL game are ahead of our top pairing dmen blows my mind.
I was going to say the exact same thing, this was beaten to death in the #9 thread.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
mullichicken25

gotta be Rozsival at this point...

will absolutely have more of an impact on this coming season or two than anyone not allready ranked above him (and certainlly a few that are)

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Thank you!

This is four or five spots too low for our top pairing defenseman of the past half decade, but whatever.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Could not have put it better myself.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:48 PM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Girardi will be good for many years to come. Dependable and still young for a defenceman! Gets my vote!

axleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleone View Post
Girardi will be good for many years to come. Dependable and still young for a defenceman! Gets my vote!
Can you tell me what makes him more important to the present and future success of the organization than Michal Rozsival? I'm not trying to be pejorative here, I'm honestly curious as to what it is that is stopping people from voting for Rosie.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
eco's bones

More than anyone else MDZ seems to be earmarked as the guy who is going to run our pwp in the near future.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Can you tell me what makes him more important to the present and future success of the organization than Michal Rozsival? I'm not trying to be pejorative here, I'm honestly curious as to what it is that is stopping people from voting for Rosie.
he makes more money than people think he deserves and made a few bad plays last year

therefore people loathe the guy who has been far and away our best or second best defenceman for the last 4 years

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
1. Lundqvist
2. Staal
3. Gaborik
4. Dubinsky
5. Callahan
6. Drury
7. Grachev
8. Avery
9. Anisimov
I can't believe Zherdev won't be in the top 10. That's just ridiculous. He's the closest thing we have to a first line player except Gabby, who needs to prove that he can stay healthy.

Z is only 24 years old, so there's a good chance he'll improve. He's also 6-2 and almost 200 pounds, which is excellent size for someone with his skill.

Z has his problems, but there's just no way that any of our prospects are more valuable than he is, and nor are guys like Avery.

At most, our prospects will become equal to Z in the future. There's a tiny chance of AA or Grachev making it big, but it would be very premature to declare that they will ever be superior to Z.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Also... I've been Avery's biggest supporter on this board, but I will take Girardi over him any day of the week.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 05:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I can't believe Zherdev won't be in the top 10. That's just ridiculous. He's the closest thing we have to a first line player except Gabby, who needs to prove that he can stay healthy.

Z is only 24 years old, so there's a good chance he'll improve. He's also 6-2 and almost 200 pounds, which is excellent size for someone with his skill.

Z has his problems, but there's just no way that any of our prospects are more valuable than he is, and nor are guys like Avery.

At most, our prospects will become equal to Z in the future. There's a tiny chance of AA or Grachev making it big, but it would be very premature to declare that they will ever be superior to Z.
As with the Lines Poll, I'm not voting for him because I don't see him in our future. I think that's part of what is holding him back here. If he were under contract and definitely coming back, I would have absolutely been advocating for him to this point. I'm just not seeing that though.

Old
07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
You can agree or disagree (and I know you won't be shy about either) but for me I take Girardi over Roszival because Girardi does his job better. Maybe Roszival has greater responsibility, but I think he falls short of success in almost every aspect. Again, that's my opinion but it's an honest one. I don't think he's particularly good one on one. I don't think he's good at all on the PP. I don't think he's better than Girardi or Staal on the PP. About the only thing he does is eat up the most minutes which basically qualifies him as the best conditioned defenseman on the team.

Ultimately, that one characteristic does not justify his higher salary or contract in general. I won't say that Girardi at this point can do Roszival's job better, but he is paid to be a 2nd pairing D-man and he does it well. Roszie is paid to be the #1 but he does not fulfill those duties. He might be our best defender ( I personally put Staal ahead) but he gets beat up by the opposition's best. In other words, put Girardi in Roszival's position, both in pay and responsibility and I would rank Roszival higher in the value department.

We all have different definitions of value obviously, but I guess if enough people vote we can get a pretty good idea of real value.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Also... I've been Avery's biggest supporter on this board, but I will take Girardi over him any day of the week.
Tough call, but I'd have to give the nod to Avery.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:02 PM
DutchShamrock

I'll just add this: replacing Girardi isn't so easy. Not when you factor pay. Try to replace him through trade or free agency and I think you fall short if you restrict yourself to his salary limits.

Replacing Roszival would be easier. $5m a year will get you a guy that can log 20 minutes a night, a coin flip success rate on defense and whatever it is he tries to do on the pp. You could probably get more in the offense department.

Old
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
OK, Dutch, I can buy that. I don't agree with it, but it's certainly rational.

EDIT: I want to add that I'm not as high on Girardi as most of this board. He seems particularly prone to stretches of bad play. I think he's a fringe 2nd/solid 3rd pairing guy at this point--good, but a far cry from what some see him as.

Old
07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

EDIT: I want to add that I'm not as high on Girardi as most of this board. He seems particularly prone to stretches of bad play. I think he's a fringe 2nd/solid 3rd pairing guy at this point--good, but a far cry from what some see him as.
Agreed. I thought Girardi took a step back this past year, both offensively and defensively. Unfortunately, because he's homegrown and makes less money than our other defensemen, some fans prefer him to Rozy. It is shocking to me when people pencil Girardi in to be a 1st pairing defenseman because his play last year didn't indicate he is up to that challenge.

I hope Girardi has a good season so I no longer have to be concerned about him, as he was extremely solid in his first two years as a Ranger. However, if his play doesn't improve, I have no qualms about either trading him at the deadline or possibly letting him walk at the end of the year if there isn't enough money to go around.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:

Well rational is about the best one can hope for in these polls. If that is Girardi's ceiling than I would be inclined to agree with Roszival's ranking. A happy compromise perhaps?

Old
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
eco's bones

For many of the same reason I'd have to agree with DS on Girardi over Rozsival. I'd add though that players should not IMO be separated from their contracts when assessing value and when a player is being paid more than he's worth his value goes down in my eyes. I might not have a problem then ranking Drury where we have him if he were making say $4 mil per which is a lot closer to what he's worth. Rozsival is another who is making too much for what he brings. He went from a 40 point per year d-man making $2.5 mil to a 30 point producing d-man making $5 mil per. I'm sorry but offense is a big part of the reason the Rangers gave him that raise and why so many see him as our No. 1 guy on defense. Girardi went through a huge slump and still wound up with 22 points (only 8 less than Rozsival and with considerably less pwp time) with a $1.550 cap hit and he's much younger and better defensively IMO.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 08:52 PM
darko

Quote:
As with the Lines Poll, I'm not voting for him because I don't see him in our future. I think that's part of what is holding him back here. If he were under contract and definitely coming back, I would have absolutely been advocating for him to this point. I'm just not seeing that though.

Likewise, otherwise I would've had him 6th, right after Cally.

Voted Rozy...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote