HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Blue Jackets Request Filatov not play for Russia in evaluation tournament

Old
07-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Blue Jackets Request Filatov not play for Russia in evaluation tournament

Thanks to Beyond the Blueshirts for the original article and translation

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...thout-grachev/

Quote:
Next month a Russian junior squad comprised primarily of 1990-born players will travel to Lake Placid to face off against an American under-20 team in a four game series that will serve as part of each teamís summer evaluation camp. Missing from the roster of 28 players invited by Russian head coach Vladimir Plyushchev is New York Rangers prospect Evgeny Grachev. Also absent are fellow 2008 draftee Nikita Filatov of the Columbus Blue Jackets and 2009 Florida Panthers draft pick Dmitry Kulikov.

In an interview with AllHockey.ru, Plyushchev was asked about the absence of Filatov and Kulikov. The former U18 national coach explained that the Blue Jackets refused to release Filatov over concerns he might be injured, while the Panthers recommended that Kulikov prepare for the season with the team rather than participate in the evaluation camp.
I would have preferred the Jackets give the reason that the Panthers gave, but it does sound like the Jackets are getting Filatov ready for the season, and that he doesn't need to prove anything at this evaluation tournament.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 07:43 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I would have preferred the Jackets give the reason that the Panthers gave, but it does sound like the Jackets are getting Filatov ready for the season, and that he doesn't need to prove anything at this evaluation tournament.
Howson pretty much has all along. This appears to be hearsay spread by the coach, I didn't see exact quotes.

Either way, as you said this really isn't important to Filatov's developement.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
hashmarks

The Panthers just gave the more PC version of what Howson stated.

Not really directed at you Skraut, but Howson is sometimes damned if he does damned if he doesn't around these parts. Had he said what the Panther's said, people would have called him out for not stating the obvious injury risk.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:57 AM
jacks johnson

Good move on Howsons part. I could care less how its preceived. He is signed with the Bluejackets, to play hockey for the Bluejackets. Didnt he come over from Russia last year with a hairline fracture in his leg, which made him miss most of camp.

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
The former U18 national coach explained that the Blue Jackets refused to release Filatov over concerns he might be injured
Maybe it is due to the translation, but it said might BE injured. Not that he could get injured.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Maybe it is due to the translation, but it said might BE injured. Not that he could get injured.
The ambiguities of the English language,

The sentence could also mean "Blue Jackets refused to release Filatov over concerns he might be injured (in the tournament)."

Both options work, but my initial reaction upon reading it was the sentence inferences what was what I just wrote.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Good move by Howson on all accounts...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
The way I read it was... "For fear he might be(come) injured"

Basically, participation in said tournament induces the fear that Filatov will enter a state of injury

lol translations

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
5StringBuzz

I'm hoping Nikki will get some tournament exposure starting in April and running through June 2010. He can wait for that.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
I'm hoping Nikki will get some tournament exposure starting in April and running through June 2010. He can wait for that.
I like your way of thinking.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:32 PM
union artillery

I am pretty sure he will eventually be on Russia Olympic team. He has nothing to prove in a u-20 tournament. He does however have to prove himself in the NHL.

union artillery is offline   Reply With Quote