HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Europe, wtf?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Next Best Thing*

vCash: 500
Europe, wtf?

Is anyone else baffled by Yvon Pednault's article on RDS ( http://rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/165756.html ) right now.

I already knew Lecavalier and Richards were probably going to play for Ar Bars Kazan in Russia, but wasn't informed about the numeric values. Well to say the least that article sheds some light on the topic. We're talking $300US a month each. And Khabibulin $6 million for a year. Wow... goodbye NHL?

Old
10-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Kaizer

6 Million for Khabibulin is lie. Kazan GM said that he talked with Khabibulin about 1.5 mil.

Two words : Oil price. With this price AkBars can pay 300K per week for Richards

Old
10-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Traitor8

300 000 $ US per month would only give just over 3 M $ per year...not nearly as much as they can make in the NHL...Nikolai.6 M!!!!!!! WOW

Old
10-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Next Best Thing*

Well, I don't care if they dug up the motherload of diamonds from under their *****, point is that it's not helping the NHL at all right now.

Old
10-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Kaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing
Well, I don't care if they dug up the motherload of diamonds from under their *****, point is that it's not helping the NHL at all right now.
It seems fun but it's not helping RSL at all too.

Old
10-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer
It seems fun but it's not helping RSL at all too.
True, but I don't watch the RSL, so I care little

Old
10-30-2004, 03:21 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Having money doesn't mean you're smart, you know...

Old
10-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
Having money doesn't mean you're smart, you know...
Did you misinterpret or something.

Old
10-30-2004, 03:39 PM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Quote:
Why should they care, anyway? It's not like the RSL has any advantage in seeing the NHL resuming its activities.

Old
10-30-2004, 03:39 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Is anyone else baffled by Yvon Pednault's article on RDS ( http://rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/165756.html ) right now.

I already knew Lecavalier and Richards were probably going to play for Ar Bars Kazan in Russia, but wasn't informed about the numeric values. Well to say the least that article sheds some light on the topic. We're talking $300US a month each. And Khabibulin $6 million for a year. Wow... goodbye NHL?
Well... There's a few teams and a few players who will get good salaries. However, most of the players in Europe are making next to nothing.

Take Joe Thornton. He's playing for $250k/year. Scott Gomez is playing for $2k/month. Also consider that getting insurance for their NHL contract is costing the players a ton (a few hundred thousand per year).

Old
10-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Well... There's a few teams and a few players who will get good salaries. However, most of the players in Europe are making next to nothing.

Take Joe Thornton. He's playing for $250k/year. Scott Gomez is playing for $2k/month. Also consider that getting insurance for their NHL contract is costing the players a ton (a few hundred thousand per year).
Thank you for stating the obvious, now does this not surprize you in the least?

Quote:
Why should they care, anyway? It's not like the RSL has any advantage in seeing the NHL resuming its activities.
So by that logic, maybe some players, seeing as how the RSL dishes out blank checks a la NYR, will want to stay there?

Old
10-30-2004, 04:09 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Thank you for stating the obvious, now does this not surprize you in the least?
What should surprise me? That there are other managers around the world thinking the same as the Rags? That players play for next to nothing and put other players who went there for a living in a bad financial situation?

Nothing really surprises me now coming from the players, since they're blatantly trying to get whatever they can at anyone's expense. Especially the higher paid NHLers.

Old
10-30-2004, 05:00 PM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Quote:
So by that logic, maybe some players, seeing as how the RSL dishes out blank checks a la NYR, will want to stay there?
Not necessarily, as other factors come into play. First of all, the salary pay is still much higher in the NHL than it is in the RSL; I don't think the latter can attract many more players at such an hefty price. Also, playing with the best, in the world's best league, is also a big part of the equation. At equal salaries, one would rather perform in a better, more exposed league. That said, I can clearly see how some players would prefer to make more money in Europe than to come back in America for a hazardous job.

My point, though, was simply that for the moment, the RSL is under no responsability to forbid high contracts to good NHL-caliber players. To the contrary, it can only increase its visibility.

Closed Thread