HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Tomas Kana

T.J. Fast
Justin Fletcher

Sebastian Dahm (3rd/depth goaltender)

Ryan Turek
All of this is my opinion obviously. But out of what I've seen from these guys.

Bolded players are who I'm giving basis to.

Unless Kana has raised his game that made him a 2nd round pick, he's off to Alaska. But I have a feeling that if he gets sent to Alaska again, he's going back to Europe. Just because, well, no offense to Alaska, but why would he want to play ANOTHER year there?

Fast and Fletcher both COULD play in the AHL. But I think we have so much depth now that they'll end up playing in Alaska.

Turek, if he plays like he did in orientation camp, will be in Peoria. Don't ask me how they will fit him in, but I can't see sending someone as talented as him to Alaska.

P.S. When did Mitch Love convert to forward? I could have SWORN he was a defender.

Last edited by Randall Ritchey: 07-30-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old
07-30-2009, 01:19 AM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
All of this is my opinion obviously. But out of what I've seen from these guys.

Bolded players are who I'm giving basis to.

Unless Kana has raised his game that made him a 2nd round pick, he's off to Alaska. But I have a feeling that if he gets sent to Alaska again, he's going back to Europe. Just because, well, no offense to Alaska, but why would he want to play ANOTHER year there?

Fast and Fletcher both COULD play in the AHL. But I think we have so much depth now that they'll end up playing in Alaska.

Turek, if he plays like he did in orientation camp, will be in Peoria. Don't ask me how they will fit him in, but I can't see sending someone as talented as him to Alaska.

P.S. When did Mitch Love convert to forward? I could have SWORN he was a defender.
I agree regarding Kana. He wouldn't be on this list if he wasn't such an amusing person. I also think he's going to be demoted and agree that, if this happens, then he'll take off for the KHL. And frankly, I can't blame him. He's just not good enough for The NHL and barely good enough, if at all, for The AHL. I'll switch him to the "Possible Forwards".

Yeah, you're prolly right about Fast not making the Peoria squad, but Fletcher is a pretty decent d-man. I think he makes it to Peoria as their 7th/depth defenseman.

EDIT: Strachan just might wind up as The Blues 7th d-man.

Turek is really good and demonstrated to the coaches that he's for real. I wish him luck.

I'll check on Love. wink wink...might be wrong.

EDIT: This is from this article: "Love was a defenseman for Houston (he played some forward), but the Rivermen plan to use Love primarily as a left wing."

The thing about having a pugilist on the wing is because they can't afford can't to lose 1 of their 6 d-men for 5 minutes and possibly 10 minutes or even the whole game. Playing with 11 forwards is better than playing with only 5 d-men.

And what about Dahm?

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 07-30-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Gots some Love.
Old
07-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

If we are using Love as a forward. We have Peluso, I'd have to think that Reaves will find himself in Alaska. No point in having three fighters. Especially is Janssen is waived and makes it to Peoria*

*I have a feeling Janssen AND Stastny will either be waived or traded as we don't really have much use for them in St. Louis. I'd love to see Janssen stay in the system, hell, he might even score a goal or two for Peoria if he plays. We all know how Stasnty can light up the AHL, so I honestly don't see him clearing waivers, even if it's a AHL addition to another club.

Old
07-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
If we are using Love as a forward. We have Peluso, I'd have to think that Reaves will find himself in Alaska. No point in having three fighters. Especially is Janssen is waived and makes it to Peoria*

*I have a feeling Janssen AND Stastny will either be waived or traded as we don't really have much use for them in St. Louis. I'd love to see Janssen stay in the system, hell, he might even score a goal or two for Peoria if he plays. We all know how Stasnty can light up the AHL, so I honestly don't see him clearing waivers, even if it's a AHL addition to another club.
If an NHL team claims a player off an NHL roster, they must keep him on their NHL roster. If they try to send him down, he can be re-claimed by the team he had left, and after that, any other team. The waiver rule is to protect NHL calibre players from being buried in the minor leagues, if their NHL team is deep in NHL calibre players.

Old
07-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
If an NHL team claims a player off an NHL roster, they must keep him on their NHL roster. If they try to send him down, he can be re-claimed by the team he had left, and after that, any other team. The waiver rule is to protect NHL calibre players from being buried in the minor leagues, if their NHL team is deep in NHL calibre players.
True, but it could potentially turn into a claiming war until one team gives up. Say Stastny is waived, claimed by, lets say the Avalanche, who waive him in order to send him to the minors. Claimed by St. Louis. Then it turns into a constant claiming war until a team gives up.

Happened last year with a defensemen....signed by Detroit this year...I can't think of his name!

Old
07-30-2009, 04:20 AM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
Quote:
True, but it could potentially turn into a claiming war until one team gives up. Say Stastny is waived, claimed by, lets say the Avalanche, who waive him in order to send him to the minors. Claimed by St. Louis. Then it turns into a constant claiming war until a team gives up.

Happened last year with a defensemen....signed by Detroit this year...I can't think of his name!
Doug Janik

Old
07-30-2009, 05:31 AM
execwrite

From pjstar.com (I guess JPL is gone from the Aces)

The Blues project goaltender Sebastian Dahm, whom the Rivermen signed Tuesday to an AHL-ECHL deal, as part of ECHL Alaska’s team in the fall.

Old
07-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Robb_K

Quote:

I really doubt that Janssen would be claimed on waivers at the beginning of the season, as all other teams would be cutting down their rosters at that time. A team would only grab him if their tough guy recently got hurt in one of the last exhibition games. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Stastny might get picked up by a team needing a PK man and a checking line player. I think he's a lot more likely to be claimed than Jansse. But, maybe it would be a 50-50 chance with Stastny. But, they might also choose to trade him for a 4th or 5th round draft choice, if he refuses to report to Peoria 9because of his one-way contract). They also wouldn't want to pay him NHL pay for playing in Peoria very long. Still, it might not hurt them so badly to pay NHL money to him until someone gets hurt-IF Eller is already in The NHL, and they'd rather play Palushaj every game on line 1 or 2 at Peoria, than on 8-10 minutes a game on The Blues' checking line.

Old
07-30-2009, 05:41 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae View Post
Doug Janik
Thank you! God that was bugging me. but I was really to lazy to go look it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I really doubt that Janssen would be claimed on waivers at the beginning of the season, as all other teams would be cutting down their rosters at that time. A team would only grab him if their tough guy recently got hurt in one of the last exhibition games. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Stastny might get picked up by a team needing a PK man and a checking line player. I think he's a lot more likely to be claimed than Jansse. But, maybe it would be a 50-50 chance with Stastny. But, they might also choose to trade him for a 4th or 5th round draft choice, if he refuses to report to Peoria 9because of his one-way contract). They also wouldn't want to pay him NHL pay for playing in Peoria very long. Still, it might not hurt them so badly to pay NHL money to him until someone gets hurt-IF Eller is already in The NHL, and they'd rather play Palushaj every game on line 1 or 2 at Peoria, than on 8-10 minutes a game on The Blues' checking line.
True, I'm just saying, it's a possibility.

Old
07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
STL fan in IA

Peluso and Reaves are more than just fighters...at least at the AHL level. Love seems to be little more than an AHL goon. Peluso and Reaves actually have some skill. I'm not so high on Reaves long-term but I see Peluso developing into a good 4th line NHLer - one that can chip in the occasional goal, play a good defensive and energy game and fight but won't be stickly an "enforcer".

Old
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Marras

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
From pjstar.com (I guess JPL is gone from the Aces)

The Blues project goaltender Sebastian Dahm, whom the Rivermen signed Tuesday to an AHL-ECHL deal, as part of ECHL Alaska’s team in the fall.
Dahm says that he will be the starting goalie for the Aces this season, next year he hopes to earn spot in Peoria.

Dahm's stats
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=3926

Old
07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:

I sure hope Reaves doesn't go to Alaska. That boy is a terror and he got skeelz. He's kind of a DJ King type; a tough guy with hockey sense and a decent shot. I'm a big Ryan Reaves fan and would rather see him loaned out to another AHL team rather than sent down. The important thing to note is that Reaves has rarely been used in a role that requires the use of his "hockey sense" so, it's difficult to assess his upside.

RE: Stastny

Losing Whitfield hurt big time. Peoria badly needs Stastny and if The Blues lose to injury someone like McClement, then Stastny is the perfect call up.

The Rivs are going to get some late-season help from at least 2 of those Canadian junior league players I've listed under "Possible Forwards". And I'd look for Lehterä as a late-season loaner again.

-------------------

I'll go ahead and remove Dahm from the working roster.

-------------------

The Peoria Rivermen's roster is starting to come together, at least on paper.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 07-30-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added something
Old
07-30-2009, 02:14 PM
schronote

Lehtera is a guy I didnt get to see much of except for the apple in peoria, no look pass was smooth. his skating looked choppy and not very xplosive but could he be a number 2 center bc of vision and playmaking abilities. I heard he is just now beginning to really work on conditioning so there is still potential with him.

Old
07-31-2009, 02:07 AM
Cheli

Saw this over at Game Time, thought I'd pass it on in case anyone is interested.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x409291...-season-ticket

Peoria lower bowl season tickets for $250.

Old
07-31-2009, 04:03 AM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Any word on Lamoreux? Is he still Blues' property?

Old
07-31-2009, 05:37 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Any word on Lamoreux? Is he still Blues' property?

He's gone.

SABRES SIGN JEAN-PHILIPPE LAMOUREUX
Thursday, 07.30.2009 / 4:12 PM / News
Buffalo Sabres
Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have signed unrestricted free agent goaltender Jean-Philippe Lamoureux to a one-year contract. Lamoureux participated in Buffalo’s development camp earlier this month.

Lamoureux (8/20/1984, 5’10”, 155 lbs.) spent last season with the ECHL’s Alaska Aces, where he was named the league’s goaltender of the year. Lamoureux led all goalies with a regular season record of 33-16-2, and set an ECHL record with eight shutouts. He was also second in GAA at 2.29. He followed that up with a league-leading 15 playoff wins and 1.95 GAA as the Aces advanced to the Kelly Cup Championship.

The 24-year-old native of Grand Forks, N.D., played four years of college hockey at North Dakota (2004-08), including a senior season that saw him earn a Hobey Baker Award nomination while leading the Fighting Sioux to the NCAA Frozen Four. Lamoureux finished his collegiate career with a record of 60-38-10, and is second all-time in school history with a 2.14 GAA, .920 save percentage and 10 shutouts.

Old
07-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

chicago, I still think that Bell ends up on the Blues roster. At least until Brewer gets back. He'll be a good guy to have around I think.

Just saying.

Old
07-31-2009, 08:34 PM
execwrite

I'd like to see Ryan Bayda and Jack Combs signed for left wing depth in Peoria.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
With the signing of Bell. I think we're at 50 contracts now.

Old
08-01-2009, 10:59 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
chicago, I still think that Bell ends up on the Blues roster. At least until Brewer gets back. He'll be a good guy to have around I think.

Just saying.
Probably. I think both Bell & Strachan have an equally good chance of making The Blues right out of camp. We'll see. Training camps haven't even started, K. McDonald and JD are going to be switchin' players around all the way through it and there might be injuries. In other words, this working roster will not look like the one on opening day.

----------------------------------

From the "Possible Forwards" list, which of these guys do you think will end the season in Peoria?

Late-season Additions

Jori Lehterä--He might get loaned to Peoria again.
James Livingston--OHL, 3yrs.
Philip McRae--OHL, 3yrs.
Anthony Nigro--OHL, 3yrs.
Ian Schultz--WHL, 2 yrs.
Tyler Shattock--WHL, 3 yrs.

But which of these young players may realistically end the season in and transition to Peoria? I think Livingston and McRae have the best shot from this small group of "eligibles".

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 08-10-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: edited
Old
08-01-2009, 11:50 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
From the "Possible Forwards" list, which of these guys do you think will end the season in Peoria?

Jay Barriball--He could possibly make Peoria out of camp. It depends on his work ethic. Senior year is upcoming.

Late-season Additions

Jori Lehterä--He might get loaned to Peoria again.
James Livingston--OHL, 3yrs.
Philip McRae--OHL, 3yrs.
Anthony Nigro--OHL, 3yrs.
Ian Schultz--WHL, 2 yrs.
Tyler Shattock--WHL, 3 yrs.

But which of these young players may realistically end the season in and transition to Peoria? I think Livingston and McRae have the best shot from this small group of "eligibles".

Barriball is a pretty darn good hockey player, but some of you may have actual informed news about Barriball.
Unless I missed something, Barriball is returning to school for his Sr year. He would lose his NCAA eligibility by just attending training camp so unless he's 100% set on turning pro, he won't even be in training camp. I suppose he could join later in the season once his college season ends...although U of Minn's season could easily extend into the AHL playoffs so I wouldn't even count on that.

It sounds like it's been decided that Lehtera will play in Finland this season but I suppose it's always an option that he'll be a late season addition after his Finnish season ends like he was last season.

I could see any of McRae, Livingston, Nigro and perhaps even Schultz or Shattock signed to amateur try-outs and given a few games with Peoria after their Jr seasons end. That's a ways away though and is really only an option if 1) they earn such an opportunity and 2) their Jr team doesn't make it very far into the playoffs. Still, even if all of them are deserving and are available, I just don't see how Peoria would have room for all of them though. McRae would probably be the most deserving to get an ATO but it's also likely he won't get one since his team (London) will most likely make a fairly decent playoff run.

Old
08-01-2009, 08:27 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Unless I missed something, Barriball is returning to school for his Sr year. He would lose his NCAA eligibility by just attending training camp so unless he's 100% set on turning pro, he won't even be in training camp. I suppose he could join later in the season once his college season ends...although U of Minn's season could easily extend into the AHL playoffs so I wouldn't even count on that.

It sounds like it's been decided that Lehtera will play in Finland this season but I suppose it's always an option that he'll be a late season addition after his Finnish season ends like he was last season.

I could see any of McRae, Livingston, Nigro and perhaps even Schultz or Shattock signed to amateur try-outs and given a few games with Peoria after their Jr seasons end. That's a ways away though and is really only an option if 1) they earn such an opportunity and 2) their Jr team doesn't make it very far into the playoffs. Still, even if all of them are deserving and are available, I just don't see how Peoria would have room for all of them though. McRae would probably be the most deserving to get an ATO but it's also likely he won't get one since his team (London) will most likely make a fairly decent playoff run.
So, it looks like Barriball is most likely headed back to UM for his senior year. That's probably a good thing. And, you're right, UM is perennial threat, so I'll probably scratch him from the entire working roster.

As far as Jori Lehterä, he is slotted to play in Finland, but just like last season he may be loaned to Peoria around mid-March or before the roster deadline, whenever that is.

Old
08-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Probably. I think both Bell & Strachan have an equally good chance of making The Blues right out of camp. We'll see. Training camps haven't even started, K. McDonald and JD are going to be switchin' players around all the way through it and there might be injuries. In other words, this working roster will not look like the one on opening day.
If it does end up being the actual roster, I will call you master. jk

Old
08-02-2009, 03:52 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Is Combs ready to play in The AHL? I think he'd be a serious liability on defence. He's more likely to start in The ECHL, so he can work on his game, I would guess.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:52 AM
ChicagoBlues

From Inside Hockey--Barriball is definitely going back to UM for his senior year.

I'll remove him from the roster.

Closed Thread