HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Sporting News likes us, they really like us :)

Old
07-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
The Sporting News likes us, they really like us :)

Quote:
Ryan Smyth remembers lining up against Anze Kopitar in the faceoff circle when Kopitar was 16 years old. It was during the World Championships in Austria and the impression Kopitar made was immediate.

"I was like, 'Look at this kid, he's huge. He's going to be a star,' " Smyth told Sporting News.

When Smyth was traded by the Avalanche to the Kings this summer, he remembered that moment. Kopitar is on his way to becoming a star in Los Angeles, and now Smyth is his teammate, hoping to help elevate him to that level. Getting in the playoffs would do it.

Of the 14 teams that missed the playoffs last season, the Kings are best poised to make a successful postseason run this year. They have the right blend of youth, experience and hunger. Smyth and another newcomer, defenseman Rob Scuderi, well could be the final pieces to the playoff puzzle in L.A.

"I just want to be a piece," Smyth said. "You can see they're on the verge."

After the Kings, these 10 non-playoff teams have the best shot at getting back to the postseason this year:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/arti...e-playoff-look

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Sounds good. Now to put it into reality and eliminate all the "it could happen" articles... There are a lot of teams to kick in the face till then, we better be prepared... One at a time.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

vCash: 500
We've seen these articles a lot the past few seasons.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 02:58 PM
not tellin*

i thought scuderi was 'the' piece.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
really? I don't recall an article from last offseason claiming the Kings would make the playoffs. Link?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
i thought scuderi was 'the' piece.
He is. Smyth is just 'A' piece. You know, like we've always called him before, A piece of ****.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:36 PM
lak4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
He is. Smyth is just 'A' piece. You know, like we've always called him before, A piece of ****.

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
really? I don't recall an article from last offseason claiming the Kings would make the playoffs. Link?
And the Kings have improved their point total every year while getting younger. This season we can look forward to Justin Williams, Smythe and Scuderi in the lineup from day 1. Add that to our core youth and I think this team legitimately is one to be excited about.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
lak4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
And the Kings have improved their point total every year while getting younger. This season we can look forward to Justin Williams, Quick, Smythe and Scuderi in the lineup from day 1. Add that to our core youth and I think this team legitimately is one to be excited about.
ftfy

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
And the Kings have improved their point total every year while getting younger. This season we can look forward to Justin Williams, Smythe and Scuderi in the lineup from day 1. Add that to our core youth and I think this team legitimately is one to be excited about.
Well then, let's get this party started already! Growing tired of waiting around. Let's do this!

P.S. I have to say... Some of the comments on that YouTube video are hilarious

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 04:30 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
It all comes down to the injury/depth issue.

Both Smyth and Williams have had some injury issues in the past. My question is, if we lose one or both of them, are we better than we were last year? I think so. Both a greater focus on conditioning and another year under their belts will help all the kids. Not to mention the presence of 2 cup winners and "Cpt. Canada" in the locker room will be a huge factor, even if they're not playing.

Obviously anyone can get hurt, and someone definitely will. Who will it be and how will we react? I think for the first time in a long time we have the depth to overcome a key injury. Hopefully we'll be better conditioned as a team and be able to avoid a "major" injury. We'll see.

It seems like forever until the season starts.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Viper29

Everything is in place for a playoff push this year, but i heard on thefourthperiod.com that SJ is shopping Marleau to shed salary... that would be an AWESOME player to add, if we get Marleau (and obviously we can afford him) we can do it, DL come on man, we've been waiting TOO long to get to the playoffs! Smyth was an AWESOME addition, please continue this trend

Viper29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper29 View Post
Everything is in place for a playoff push this year, but i heard on thefourthperiod.com that SJ is shopping Marleau to shed salary... that would be an AWESOME player to add, if we get Marleau (and obviously we can afford him) we can do it, DL come on man, we've been waiting TOO long to get to the playoffs! Smyth was an AWESOME addition, please continue this trend
Marleau could be a good addition to this team. But at what cost?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Marleau could be a good addition to this team. But at what cost?
No thanks, we are fine now.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 09:01 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Well then, let's get this party started already! Growing tired of waiting around. Let's do this!

Any idea what songs are in that intro?

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 09:11 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper29 View Post
Yeah I saw the same thing earlier today. Apparently the Sharks have their eye on Heatley, which means they'd need to clear some CAP space.

Marleau has one year on his contract remaining at 6.3M

He was also drafted by DL.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 10:21 PM
deano

Haha!!! Keep dreaming. Marleau is not coming here, unless it's as a free agent. This team is set for the season, and the only deals I could see happening at this point are minor trades of expiring contracts. Cap relief that can help the organization on two fronts. The biggest question mark we have right now is if we keep Frolov or not? I hope to see him come out of the gate strong this season, then sign a fair deal that fits into the salary structure of the team with enough years to make us all happy. Here's to hoping that happens. Playoffs for sure this season. I'm pumped.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

What are these playoffs of which they speak?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:52 AM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
What are these playoffs of which they speak?
The promised land my friend. No longer a piece of folklore or fairytale, but a real possibility.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:55 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
We're talking about potential. This article babbles on about potential. We've heard a lot of that the last few seasons. I'm not going to go dig up links from 1-2 years ago for you.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:58 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Yeah seriously. Seems like every year we're always on the verge. I'll believe it when I see it. We look good on papers but we're just gonna have to wait till the season starts to find out where we're at. By the way I swear the offseason seems soooo freakin long, especially if your team don't make the playoffs. Man it seems like forever since the season ended in April. Summer months sucks A** without hockey.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Riposte!

Quote:

Seeing epic close-ups of Jaroslav Modry and John Zeiler to that music is also hilarious. Bad. Hilariously bad.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Sounds good. Now to put it into reality and eliminate all the "it could happen" articles... There are a lot of teams to kick in the face till then, we better be prepared... One at a time.
I like it, our 2009-2010 motto:

KINGS HOCKEY, we're going to kick you IN THE FACE! IN THE FAAAAACE!!!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:16 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
We're talking about potential. This article babbles on about potential. We've heard a lot of that the last few seasons. I'm not going to go dig up links from 1-2 years ago for you.

DIG, DIG, DIG! no need, just kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
Yeah seriously. Seems like every year we're always on the verge. I'll believe it when I see it. We look good on papers but we're just gonna have to wait till the season starts to find out where we're at. By the way I swear the offseason seems soooo freakin long, especially if your team don't make the playoffs. Man it seems like forever since the season ended in April. Summer months sucks A** without hockey.

Not going to disagree, but if you are not more excited about this season than any in recent memory, then something is wrong with your hockey sense. I'm as skeptical as almost any long time King fan, (PSP and Tik excluded) and I have a serious right be. Nevertheless, the additions to our team in the form of Smyth ( "A piece") and Scuderi ("THE piece") and the additions by subtraction (primarily Calder) make this team far more competitive.

For the first season in the last several, the talk of increased potential is not just of getting better, but actually making the playoffs. If you think its not nearly possible, watch out for the apologista's because you might soon be cast as a naysayer on this site.

P.S. Its not the worst thing in the world, and I should know. BUT I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS SEASON!!!

Kings Hockey: We're going to kick you in the face! IN THE FAAAACE!!!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
DIG, DIG, DIG! no need, just kidding

Not going to disagree, but if you are not more excited about this season than any in recent memory, then something is wrong with your hockey sense. I'm as skeptical as almost any long time King fan, (PSP and Tik excluded) and I have a serious right be. Nevertheless, the additions to our team in the form of Smyth ( "A piece") and Scuderi ("THE piece") and the additions by subtraction (primarily Calder) make this team far more competitive.

For the first season in the last several, the talk of increased potential is not just of getting better, but actually making the playoffs. If you think its not nearly possible, watch out for the apologista's because you might soon be cast as a naysayer on this site.

P.S. Its not the worst thing in the world, and I should know. BUT I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS SEASON!!!

Kings Hockey: We're going to kick you in the face! IN THE FAAAACE!!!

Ummm I never said I wasn't excited. All I said was I'll believe it when I see it. I've been excited every freakin year no matter how bad this team is for a long time now. We're all die hard Kings fans, there is a level of excitement every season because we do see progress on the ice and on paper. New players, coaches, etc, etc.....But we've been out of the playoffs for awhile now and until we make the playoffs "I'll believe it when I see It".

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote