HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Powerplay

Old
07-25-2009, 09:58 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Powerplay

Obviously the Hurricanes' powerplay will look a lot different this season with the departure of Seidenberg and Babchuk, but how different?

My PP units would be:

Whitney-Staal-Ruutu
Cullen-Corvo

Samsonov-Jokinen-Cole
Pitkanen-Carson/McBain

Yes, having Carson or McBain on the powerplay would mean no Niclas Wallin in the lineup (), but I think we can manage. McBain obviously has the better offensive abilities of the two, but Carson is more likely to make the team due to his age.

The PP units above feature each winger playing on their off-wings, with both defensemen playing on their natural sides.

Thoughts?

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 07-25-2009 at 10:14 AM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 10:04 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Make that 2nd unit
Samsonov-Brind'Amour-Jokinen
Pitkanen-Carson/McBain/Roney
and I'm sold. I just don't like the idea of Cole on the powerplay and I think Brindy will rebound a bit this year.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think with the serious lack of a 4th point presence, we'll likely see Pitkanen take 1:30-1:40 of powerplay opportunities. He's an economy of motion kind of skater that doesn't really waste a lot of effort on the powerplay. Corvo is just going to have to learn to play with him, to be honest.

Part of our ideological transition from puck movers back to powerhouses on the blueline has cost us the luxury of having a guy like Seidenberg able to fit in on the 2nd pairing and not look out of place. The remaining options being Alberts, Ward, or Wallin is not appealing.

Of course, we all know that both Wallin and Ward are going to miss 10-15 games per season and Alberts will probably miss a few too. Bryan Rodney and Brett Carson are going to have a battle for first call up in that situation and it would obviously make it easier to shift two total powerplay units without a like part.

It would be so incredibly un-Carolina to sit Niclas Wallin in favor of Brett Carson or Bryan Rodney if he is healthy. He's a "made man" so to speak with this organization and these coaches. Kaberle gave us no choice, but we hardly ever play the rookie over the guy we're paying $1.75 million with all things equal. With this likely being Wallin's swan song, he'll get his chance to stay in the Top 6 and unless he proves to be totally useless there, he'll stay there all year. In this organization, loyalty is priority one. We may be able to argue as to Wallin's effectiveness, but we cannot argue his loyalty. He has repeatedly taken just at or below market value ever since he arrived.

Additionally, I think the MOST important thing about our powerplay is to make sure we get Jokinen out there more this season than we did last year in the regular season. His track record is self-evident and he really made those Dallas powerplays work a few seasons ago.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 10:46 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

PP1.

Whitney- Staal- Ruutu
Cullen- Corvo

PP2.
Samsonov- Brind'amour- Cole
Jokinen- Pitkanen

Or Sammy on point. What do u think for that?

Or something like that

Staal- Brindy- Ruutu
Jokinen- Pitkanen

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Caniac12

Samsonov-Staal-Jokinen
Cullen-Corvo

Whitney-Brind`amour-Ruutu
Pitkanen-Carson

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

IIRC, we had Staal on the point during the Cup year. If we could have one of our many other centers take the faceoff (Jokinen would be the ideal) and have Staal play the point, it might help our PP more. Winning a faceoff is vitally important in a PP, and Staal simply doesn't win enough to my liking.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:24 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
IIRC, we had Staal on the point during the Cup year. If we could have one of our many other centers take the faceoff (Jokinen would be the ideal) and have Staal play the point, it might help our PP more. Winning a faceoff is vitally important in a PP, and Staal simply doesn't win enough to my liking.
It was mostly during the playoffs that season where Staal played the point, with Hedican (and sometimes Kaberle) as the other pointman.

It's important to note that he played the right point during the playoffs, then was inconceivably switched to the left point for the next season where he was very mediocre (though he still scored 12 PP goals that season, most of them coming from the point).

If Staal plays the point, I'd like to see him on the right side while being paired with a left-handed set-up man (Pitkanen). On the left halfboards would be Whitney (RH shot), with Ruutu in front of the net and Jokinen on the right side positioned for one-timers. Jokinen obviously takes the face-off.

The second unit would be a umbrella type set-up with Samsonov, Cullen (top of umbrella) and Corvo. Brind'amour would take the face-off and stand in front of the net and Bowman would operate on the right side where he can walk off the boards and unleash his shot. I watched Bowman play for the Memorial Cup last season and he reminded me a lot of Alexei Kovalev on the powerplay, which is a very good thing.

In short:
Whitney-Jokinen-Ruutu
Pitkanen-Staal

Samsonov-Brind'amour-Bowman
Cullen-Corvo

There are a ton of options for us to use at forward, but not so much on defense anymore with Seidenberg and Babchuk gone...though not that it's any big deal as we have a few forwards who can competently play the point (Seidenberg didn't do much on the powerplay anyways).

I just watched almost all of Jokinen's powerplay goals in his career, and I noticed that several of them came in transition when Sergei Zubov would hit Jokinen with a stretch pass and allow Jokinen to walk in all alone and utilize his breakaway move(s). I noticed Pitkanen trying this set play several times last season when they were on the powerplay together, so it's something that could quite possibly work this year.

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 07-25-2009 at 01:32 PM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 03:42 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Have Staal on the whole time

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote