HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Camp: July 6-10, Dwyer Arena (NU Campus)

Old
07-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2829 View Post
How is his skating? Is it as bad as people were making it out to be when he was drafted?
No, actually. The way people had made it out, I was expecting Brad Miller bad skating (.7 Brad Browns). That was not what we saw -- his issues from the U18's really seem overblown. Yeah, super-quick forwards are going to give him trouble at times... they give everyone trouble at times. No defenseman is flawless.

07-11-2009, 11:33 AM
wingmanpei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He looked a bit better than last year. He does a little of everything, which certainly helps.
Yes he does and I think it helped where he knew what to expect going into this year's camp. I'm glad he was drafted by an organization like Buffalo who likes to build from within and gives their prospects a chance to grow and develop, he is certainly dedicated and works hard at his game.

wingmanpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Yeah, super-quick forwards are going to give him trouble at times... they give everyone trouble at times. No defenseman is flawless.
taking notes on me or the players yesterday?!

McNabb will be just fine. As for Myers, he's going to be excellent. Some of the negative camp opinions seem a bit overblown, and am curious what many were expecting. It's more fair to be critical in the fall.

Best player no one is talking about: Travis Turnbull.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
taking notes on me or the players yesterday?!

McNabb will be just fine. As for Myers, he's going to be excellent. Some of the negative camp opinions seem a bit overblown, and am curious what many were expecting. It's more fair to be critical in the fall.

Best player no one is talking about: Travis Turnbull.
Steal shameless -- first rule. Granted, I couldn't here what you and V were talking about so it left me to watch more.

That said, McNabb moved well enough -- that little blueline-to-slot rush where he wired the wrister past Enroth should've had anyone with questions about his wheels thinking twice. I get Devine's comments that McNabb is a bigger Weber and possibly further along. McNabb's U18 foibles (and the reports there of) seem pretty overblown.

I enjoyed Turnbull's motor -- I mentioned that yesterday, he never ever stops moving his feet. It looks like there is no quit in that kid.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmanpei View Post
Yes he does and I think it helped where he knew what to expect going into this year's camp. I'm glad he was drafted by an organization like Buffalo who likes to build from within and gives their prospects a chance to grow and develop, he is certainly dedicated and works hard at his game.
I'm curious what they may've told him they are looking for out of him for the upcoming season. With the drafting and signing of so many defensemen over the last few drafts, a few things are required to open something up for him as a pro -- the big club has to clear out some blueline bodies (and that is likely by next summer if not sooner with Paetsch, Tallinder and Lydman coming off the books) and the guys graduating from the Pirates replace them. Right now, they have Generous, Brennan, Persson, Schiestel all on the first year of their deals with the Pirates; Kostka in year two. Space will be limited. It will be up to to him to show the brass what they want him to do this year.

Old
07-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
I'm curious what they may've told him they are looking for out of him for the upcoming season. With the drafting and signing of so many defensemen over the last few drafts, a few things are required to open something up for him as a pro -- the big club has to clear out some blueline bodies (and that is likely by next summer if not sooner with Paetsch, Tallinder and Lydman coming off the books) and the guys graduating from the Pirates replace them. Right now, they have Generous, Brennan, Persson, Schiestel all on the first year of their deals with the Pirates; Kostka in year two. Space will be limited. It will be up to to him to show the brass what they want him to do this year.
They want him to step up and be a better leader this season. Keep his emotions level, stay physical and consistent in his own end, and lead the transition game.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:41 PM
sabresfan09*

I wouldnt build up or tear down to quick either way. Mcnabb is exactly as billed, a big kid who has nice upside. Skating is not bad for an 18 year old but clearly needs to improve for the next level. hard work and a willingness to change will be the keys. Bad habits are hard to break but can be done and I would expect as much.
A wrist shot going in from the blue line in a no check game was just that, a wirst shot going in from the blue line in a no check game. The goalie didnt even see it. His strength will be as a shut down player. Good pick and Buffalo is the right spot as they build their prospects.
Foligno works hard, loves the contact and from all accounts is a great kid who wants to get better. Will go into the kill zone. Needs to get quicker and more consistant but is age appropriate. Nice pick up from a kid who is a keeper
Adams, big, raw with very good skill package. Verry happy to see he could play at that level out of high school hockey. Has all the tools and already is a high end skater. It will be fun to see next year after 65 games in the USHL. very good pickup
with big upside.
Knapp, huge and accountable. Exactly as billed from an article I saw right before the draft. needs to get quicker and more athletic but has all the tools and attitude to get better. had a very good year at ohio and will only get better
remember, these kids are 17 and 18 and are still growing into their bodys.
I would like to see Mcnabb and Adams 5 years from now vs some of the guys out there who were 4/5 years older. i think it is safe to say they will be better.
Foligno looks like a soldier and when he is 22/23 will be a stud who hits everything
Mcnabb will get better and could be ready in 2/3 years

sabresfan09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:43 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
For the record, I meant that I think Adams has no chance to make it with the Sabres with the defensive pipeline as it is. He has too far to go with too many solid guys ahead of him.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
They want him to step up and be a better leader this season. Keep his emotions level, stay physical and consistent in his own end, and lead the transition game.
Ask and I shall receive eh?

In other words, no snits with the bench boss, continue to step up on guys and elevate his point production?

Old
07-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
For the record, I meant that I think Adams has no chance to make it with the Sabres with our defensive pipeline as it is. He has too far to go with too many solid guys ahead of him.
Since he's only a junior in HS and will be in the USHL next year before going to Providence. He could be theirs for 5 years before turning pro if he stays in school the full 4 years -- heck Sekera will be UFA age when Adams is turning pro.

Old
07-11-2009, 12:52 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Since he's only a junior in HS and will be in the USHL next year before going to Providence. He could be theirs for 5 years before turning pro if he stays in school the full 4 years -- heck Sekera will be UFA age when Adams is turning pro.
Feel free to quote me on it

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan09 View Post
I wouldnt build up or tear down to quick either way. Mcnabb is exactly as billed, a big kid who has nice upside. Skating is not bad for an 18 year old but clearly needs to improve for the next level. hard work and a willingness to change will be the keys. Bad habits are hard to break but can be done and I would expect as much.
A wrist shot going in from the blue line in a no check game was just that, a wirst shot going in from the blue line in a no check game. The goalie didnt even see it. His strength will be as a shut down player. Good pick and Buffalo is the right spot as they build their prospects.
Foligno works hard, loves the contact and from all accounts is a great kid who wants to get better. Will go into the kill zone. Needs to get quicker and more consistant but is age appropriate. Nice pick up from a kid who is a keeper
Adams, big, raw with very good skill package. Verry happy to see he could play at that level out of high school hockey. Has all the tools and already is a high end skater. It will be fun to see next year after 65 games in the USHL. very good pickup
with big upside.
Knapp, huge and accountable. Exactly as billed from an article I saw right before the draft. needs to get quicker and more athletic but has all the tools and attitude to get better. had a very good year at ohio and will only get better
remember, these kids are 17 and 18 and are still growing into their bodys.
I would like to see Mcnabb and Adams 5 years from now vs some of the guys out there who were 4/5 years older. i think it is safe to say they will be better.
Foligno looks like a soldier and when he is 22/23 will be a stud who hits everything
Mcnabb will get better and could be ready in 2/3 years
My point was that he covered the distance from his blueline, gained the zone with a little hesitation step, and then cut back into the slot in a way that a guy who has "skating issues" would not do. He also closed on his check and rotated quickly enough -- the issues were with smaller, speed guys and since "established" players (which is relative in this sort of situaiton) like Butler and Weber had fits with Gerbe and Ennis... I'm not concerned and like McNabb's game at this point -- I can see where he can be 3-4 years.

Old
07-11-2009, 01:38 PM
sabresfan09*

Exactly, Mcnabb will only get better. I agree with your assesment. my point was he is a big, strong shut down type player. Any O is a bonus. Guys like Kyle Mclaren etc learn how to cover ice with a longer stride etc. Smart ones adapt and I am sure he will

sabresfan09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Cappie2k2

I heard Marcus Foligno TJ Brennan and Drew Schiestel all played exceptionally well during camp i know brennan will probally play in portland next year.. but what about schiestel and foligno?? i know foligno probally wont even sign a contract till hes AHL ready(im guessing 2 years) but is schiestel under ahl contract/nhl 2way??

if anyone knows anything fill me in..

peace

Cappie2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:32 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappie2k2 View Post
I heard Marcus Foligno TJ Brennan and Drew Schiestel all played exceptionally well during camp i know brennan will probally play in portland next year.. but what about schiestel and foligno?? i know foligno probally wont even sign a contract till hes AHL ready(im guessing 2 years) but is schiestel under ahl contract/nhl 2way??

if anyone knows anything fill me in..

peace
Schiestel is signed for Portland

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
AkSportsLaw

Quote:
My favorite goalie and probably best performer of this camp so far is J.P. Lamoureux... he is small, but very fast and agile. great vision and reaction time, recovery after the initial save and rebound control... i would say since Eno isnt ready and Knapp can't play in the AHL due to his age... sign this guy for a year to see what he is capable of in the Minor-Pro level.
Sorry to lurk on the Sabres Board, but when I heard JP Lamoreaux was invited to the Sabres' Prospect Camp I wanted to wander over. Living in Alaska, I have watched JP several times, including every home start he made for the Alaska Aces (Blues ECHL affiliate) last season as well as most road starts on the B2 networks. I also watched him when he tended goal for UND (since the University of Alaska-Anchorage is a WCHA conference opponent of UND) in both Alaska and Minnesota (for UND-U Minn games as well as the WCHA Final Five in St. Paul).

While I confess that I have little knowledge of the Sabres organization goaltending situation, I believe JP will prove more than capable in the A if signed.

Despite the tendency toward the unconvential at times (which has been mentioned), JP is a sound positional goaltender - faces shooters square, great at cutting down the angle, and a calm presence in net. He rarely rattles, makes the saves he supposed to (and some that he shouldn't be able to as well). Always keeps his team in games. I've heard from coaches and players alike that, despite his size, he does a good job of filling the net (playing bigger than his size) in light of his ability to cut down angles and to move well laterally. A good character and locker room guy; doesn't display odd behavior associated with his position (you know - the "goalies are a weird bunch" thing). He's also a real student of the game and constantly looking to improve. One noticeable weakness in his game is the tendency to go down to the pads early and thereby open up the top shelf from time-to-time.

Comes from a hockey family - Dad won two NCAA championships at Univ. of North Dakota; twin sisters playing at UND (played their freshman year at Univ. of Minnesota so sitting this year out because of the transfer rule) and invited to try out for US Olympic team; one brother playing at NDU and another at the Air Force Academy.

I stop this long winded hijack of your board (again, my apologies) by citing a couple of statistics concerning JP (knowing that stats can be interpreted in many ways and that you probably were already aware):

Last year (rookie) with the Blues ECHL affiliate: Led team to Kelly Cup finals, ECHL Goaltender of the Year, All-ECHL First-Team, ECHL All-Rookie Team, ECHL MVP Runner-up, ECHL Rookie of the Year Runner-up, National Conference Starting Goaltender - ECHL All-Star Game, recorded a league record seven shutouts in 08-09 regular season, led league in regular season wins (33) and save % (.923), second in league in GAA (2.29), led all goaltenders in playoffs with 15 wins, 4 shutouts and a 1.95 GAA.

At UND, he led the team to two Frozen four appearances; in his senior season he led Division I goalies in GAA (1.64) and save % (936) tied for first in the country with six shuouts and second in the country in wins with 27 - also a Hobey Baker finalist.

Hope the fans of your AHL affiliate in Portland get the oppotunity to watch JP work. It's fun. Thanks for letting me ramble and good luck this season!

AkSportsLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Sounds like he may be a pretty good backup for Enroth in Portland. Whenever I hear people describe him, I keep thinking of J.F. Labbe. Small, unconventional, but usually got the job done, especially in the AHL. Time will tell, but I hope this guy can help the Pirates. I'm not shedding any tears about Adam Dennis moving on.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:44 AM

From someone who has seen a fair share of Niagara Ice Dogs games I think the Sabres would have a steal if they signed DeSousa, inviting him to this camp could be a leg up if he has another solid year. Very good forechecker with an above average shot. Glad to see a few of you noticed him!

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Ruff for President

Why wasn't Brad Eidsness at Summer Camp???

Ruff for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff for President View Post
Why wasn't Brad Eidsness at Summer Camp???
Could be lots of reasons, not the least being that he doesn't have to be there as he'd have to foot his own bill for food / hotel / airfare in order to maintain his eligibility for the NCAA

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Could be lots of reasons, not the least being that he doesn't have to be there as he'd have to foot his own bill for food / hotel / airfare in order to maintain his eligibility for the NCAA
Niagara handles the food and accommodations. Transportation is up to the player.

Old
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Niagara handles the food and accommodations. Transportation is up to the player.
Thanks, I thought that the college kids weren't allowed to stay there as it could be construed as receiving gifts which was why most of them stayed with Kennedy before he turned pro.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Thanks, I thought that the college kids weren't allowed to stay there as it could be construed as receiving gifts which was why most of them stayed with Kennedy before he turned pro.
IIRC, They worked out whatever it is they needed to work out. I know that they had concerns last year when NU gave them all a box of stuff -- turned out to be ok because it was all the same stuff they give incoming resident students.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:44 PM
aceface33

This video is about the funniest thing ever:

http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/console.js...d=668&id=44914

The best part- "We need to put the good defensemen with the bad defensemen...so put some good defensemen with Weber and Butler."

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
This video is about the funniest thing ever:

http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/console.js...d=668&id=44914

The best part- "We need to put the good defensemen with the bad defensemen...so put some good defensemen with Weber and Butler."
Glowing things about Kennedy's skating from Ruff and Dineen.