HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Bettman & Gretzky on CNBC tonight 10/19

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2004, 06:15 PM
missK

vCash: 500
Bettman & Gretzky on CNBC tonight 10/19

Inside info from a friend who works at CNBC.........seems that Gary Bettman was at CNBC today and Wayne Gretzky was piped in live from Los Angeles. They are both appearing on the McEnroe show tonight at 10pm on CNBC.

Old
10-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by missK
Inside info from a friend who works at CNBC.........seems that Gary Bettman was at CNBC today and Wayne Gretzky was piped in live from Los Angeles. They are both appearing on the McEnroe show tonight at 10pm on CNBC.

With McEnroe's rating no one is gonna see it. No joke i heard that last week his rating were so bad the only cable show he beat was The Food Networks "How to Boil Water"

Old
10-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Sotnos

After hearing some of his opening monologue, I can understand if his ratings are bad.

Old
10-20-2004, 12:02 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Anyone want to give us details?

Old
10-20-2004, 05:41 AM
Sotnos

I turned it off with 20 minutes to go since they mentioned that Gretz will be on tomorrow (today), so I assumed they wouldn't be on last night.

Old
10-30-2004, 07:11 PM
bradp

I was the one who saw it

I may have been the only one to see the interview with Gretzky. It was very interesting. After initial pleasentries .. they got into the lockout ... if Chelios thinks #99 should be the commish he is nuts. Gretzky said that Bettman is the best man for the job and that Wayne is 100% behind him ."Bettman is the best commish in pro sports"

Gretzky went on to say that owners cannot keep losing money .. for example in Phoenix to keep losing 15-20 million$ per year is not sustainable.
Players today ARE overpaid, said the Great One .... something must be done to correct the rise in salaries ... hockey hasn't caught on in the USA and as a result there is no TV deal.
Wayne said that he understands the comradery between the players but this time the owners are left with no options ... the owners must have something in place that seriously deals with the issues.

Considering all that ive heard about other players ie Commodore, speaking out ... im shocked that nobody has brought up Gretzky's comments ... since he is definitely behind Bettman and the owners.

Regarding coaching - he's thinking about it ... definitely.

Old
10-30-2004, 08:13 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp
Gretzky went on to say that owners cannot keep losing money .. for example in Phoenix to keep losing 15-20 million$ per year is not sustainable.
Players today ARE overpaid, said the Great One .... something must be done to correct the rise in salaries ... hockey hasn't caught on in the USA and as a result there is no TV deal.
Wayne said that he understands the comradery between the players but this time the owners are left with no options ... the owners must have something in place that seriously deals with the issues.
Will Chelios listen?

Old
10-30-2004, 08:18 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp
I may have been the only one to see the interview with Gretzky. It was very interesting. After initial pleasentries .. they got into the lockout ... if Chelios thinks #99 should be the commish he is nuts. Gretzky said that Bettman is the best man for the job and that Wayne is 100% behind him ."Bettman is the best commish in pro sports"

Considering all that ive heard about other players ie Commodore, speaking out ... im shocked that nobody has brought up Gretzky's comments ... since he is definitely behind Bettman and the owners.

Regarding coaching - he's thinking about it ... definitely.
Some good info. I caught Bettman but missed Gretzky.

Old
10-30-2004, 11:02 PM
bradp

Re: Will Chelios listen?

That's a good question ... considering Chelios doesn't make sense most of the time anyway ... I get the feeling he didn't think this one through before he said it. He probably just assumed #99 would be on the side of 'No Cap', and the players. I think if anyone actually watched this McEnroe interview, it would be bigger news. In Canada every sound bite from any player is scrutenized and replayed etc, how this got by un-noticed amazes me.

Chelios should listen. In fact sooner or later Waynes opinions will become more public and in the NHL when #99 speaks, players will listen or risk losing all public support.

Careful what you wish for Chelios ...

Closed Thread