HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2009-10 Manitoba Bisons Hockey Thread

Old
06-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
2009-10 Manitoba Bisons Hockey Thread

click for Bisons Hockey page

MANITOBA BISONS 2009-10

The 2008-09 thread is [HERE].

Next year country has started early in the university off-season. Two announcements have already been made. In addition, the league announced that four, rather than six, teams will qualify for this year's playoffs.

SAINTS GRAD RECRUITED

BLAIR MACAULAY (formerly of Tri-City and Saskatoon of the WHL and the Saints of the MJHL) has committed. The [LINK] at GoBisons.ca has his stats and also points out that Mike Sirant is back to coach after 3 years in Denmark. Frankly, I would not mind if Don McGillivray stuck around. Recruiting seemed to be going well under him. A blurb is also at [CJOB.COM] and at [WINNIPEGSUN.COM].

GOALTENDER AND D-MAN RECRUITED

The Bisons have announced the commitment of two more WHL grads for 2009-10 [LINK]. The goaltender is JESSE DECKERT, who played 4 games in the CIS for Lethbridge back in 2007-08. In the WHL he played for Prince Albert, Tri-Cities, and Regina. The d-man is BRANDON LOCKERBY, who played for Edmonton and Brandon. He is seemingly somewhat of an offensive d-man (35 points in 72 games).

Bookmarks:
  • ~ ~

Last edited by Hollywood3: 06-11-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Hollywood:

Do you want me to replace the 08-09 Bisons thread with this one or shall I merge the two and just make it the official Bisons thread? I'd prefer not to have both stickied. So either one comes down or we merge the two. Your call.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Do you want me to replace the 08-09 Bisons thread with this one or shall I merge the two and just make it the official Bisons thread? I'd prefer not to have both stickied. So either one comes down or we merge the two. Your call.
The old thread could be "unstickied". If threads stay around for multiple seasons they get to be too long. The first post has a link to the last year's thread if anybody wants to look something up. Thanks.

Old
06-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

SCHEDULE RELEASED

Canada West announced the schedules for all sports. The men's hockey schedule is [HERE]. Here's the Bison schedule:
  • Oct 2-3 Saskatchewan at Manitoba 7:00 PM
    Oct 9-10 Lethbridge at Manitoba 7:00 PM
    Oct 16-17 Manitoba at UBC 9:30 PM
    Oct 23-24 Calgary at Manitoba 7:00 PM
    Oct 30-31 Manitoba at Alberta 8:30 PM
    Nov 6-7 bye
    Nov 13-14 Manitoba at Regina 7:00 PM
    Nov 20-21 Saskatchewan at Manitoba 3:00 PM
    Nov 27-28 bye

Jan 8-9 Manitoba at Lethbridge 8:00 PM
    Jan 15-16 UBC at Manitoba 7:00 PM
    Jan 22-23 Manitoba at Calgary 8:00 PM
    Jan 29-30 Alberta at Manitoba 7:00 PM
    Feb 5-6 Manitoba at Regina 7:00 PM
    Feb 12-13 bye
    Feb 19-20 Manitoba at Saskatchewan 7:00 PM
    Feb 26-27 Regina at Manitoba 7:00 PM

PLAYOFFS
    Mar 5 - 7 Canada West Semifinals 4 @1 / 3 @ 2 Best 2 of 3
    Mar 12 - 14 Canada West Final Winners at highest finisher Best 2 of 3
    Mar 25 - 28 CIS Championship at Lakehead
Expect a schedule of non-conference games to be announced soon. In recent years they have played away at North Dakota, Nebraska-Omaha, and Bemidji and have played the Moose prospects out in Steinbach.

Bookmarks:
  • ~ ~

Old
06-07-2009, 05:11 PM
JorgeRocks!

Nah, I think having Sirant back will have a good effect. He pretty much ran Danish Hockey for 3 years from what I heard, and there is potential to bring over some young stars from there over here.

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
The old thread could be "unstickied". If threads stay around for multiple seasons they get to be too long. The first post has a link to the last year's thread if anybody wants to look something up. Thanks.
Done.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Will Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
Nah, I think having Sirant back will have a good effect. He pretty much ran Danish Hockey for 3 years from what I heard, and there is potential to bring over some young stars from there over here.
have you heard any specifics about immediate recruits from Denmark? that would make things very interesting on a team with a great core and with very few players graduating from last year's squad.

Will Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:22 PM
JorgeRocks!

No not at all just thinking....I would not put it past him though just speculating...this would probably be an Eklund e1 at this point ha ha

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

FROM MEMORIAL CUP TO BISONS

The Bisons have landed IAN DUVAL from the Kelowna Rockets [LINK] and at [CJOB.com]. He is from Winnipeg and played for Central Plains in AAA midget before going on to the WHL. His stats are at the link. He had a good playoff:
Quote:
Duval was tied for ninth in 2009 WHL playoff scoring with 18 points (ten goals tied for fifth highest in WHL, eight assists) in 22 games. In the 2009 WHL playoffs, he added a +14 plus/minus rating while notching two game winning goals and two power play goals.
This and the Bisons' off-season recruiting is also discussed at [CISBLOG.CA].

Bookmarks:
  • ~ ~

Last edited by Hollywood3: 06-18-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old
06-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

TWO MORE RECRUITS

The new recruits are TROY CROWLEY and TRAVIS MEALY. Their stats and background are at the [U OF M LINK].

Crowley is a former Saskatoon Blade but played with the Phoenix Polar Bears in the Western States Hockey League. He scored lots down there but seems like a shot-in-the-dark. He was coached by former Bison Harry Mahood.

Mealy is a d-man who played for the UPEI Panthers and is a grad of the QMJHL.

Meanwhile, Don MacGillivray will be GM/Coach of the Winnipeg South Blues. [FREE PRESS LINK]

Bookmarks: ~ ~

Old
06-24-2009, 08:14 PM
dale 1919

Quote:

TWO MORE RECRUITS

The new recruits are TROY CROWLEY and TRAVIS MEALY. Their stats and background are at the [U OF M LINK].

Crowley is a former Saskatoon Blade but played with the Phoenix Polar Bears in the Western States Hockey League. He scored lots down there but seems like a shot-in-the-dark. He was coached by former Bison Harry Mahood.

Mealy is a d-man who played for the UPEI Panthers and is a grad of the QMJHL.

Meanwhile, Don MacGillivray will be GM/Coach of the Winnipeg South Blues. [FREE PRESS LINK]

I am new to these western leagues...who plays in the Western States Hockey league and what would be the junior equivalent in Canada?

MacGillivray did a a good job in U of M I am told they will really miss him!

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale 1919 View Post
I am new to these western leagues...who plays in the Western States Hockey league and what would be the junior equivalent in Canada?

MacGillivray did a a good job in U of M I am told they will really miss him!
I don't know about those US-basd leagues but I gather it would be Junior "B", which varies widely from place to place.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

BISONS GET WHEAT KING D-MAN

The Bisons announced the commitment of CHAD ERB from the Brandon Wheat Kings. His numbers are at the [U OF M LINK]. He was a high +/- d-man for the Wheat Kings.

This is a lot of new recruits in a year where not many spots should be open. I expect the next announcement should be for pre-season and non-conference exhibition games. Two usual opponents - Nebrask-Omaha and Bemidji - have been confirmed as WCHA teams commencing in 2010-2011.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

NON-CONFERENCE GAMES ANNOUNCED

The complete Bison schedule is [HERE]. The newly added non-conference games are:
Code:
Sep. 11	v Regina @ Whitewood, SK
Sep. 18	v Carleton (7:00pm @ Max Bell Arena)
Sep. 19	v Carleton (12:00pm @ Max Bell Arena)
Sep. 25	@ Brock
Sep. 26	@ Brock
Oct.  4	@ UND (this follows a home series against Sask)
Nov. 27	v Iowa State (3:00pm @ Max Bell Arena)
Nov. 28	v Iowa State (1:00pm @ Max Bell Arena)
Dec. 29	@ Lakehead
Dec. 30	@ Lakehead
There is no Bisons v Moose game in Steinbach this year. Also gone are trips to Bemidji and Nebraska-Omaha.

However, the nice new feature is that they will play two new opponents at home (Carleton and Iowa State). I don't care for that 3rd game in 3 nights game at UND. It is too bad that on Sept 19 they will be playing Carleton whilst at 2:00 pm the Bison football homecoming game will be played next door. No doubt Carleton has a tight travel schedule.

Last edited by Hollywood3: 07-01-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Will Goodwin

Quote:

NON-CONFERENCE GAMES ANNOUNCED

The complete Bison schedule is [HERE]. The newly added non-conference games are:
Code:
Sep. 11	v Regina @ Whitewood, SK
Sep. 18	v Carleton (7:00pm @ Max Bell Arena)
Sep. 19	v Carleton (12:00pm @ Max Bell Arena)
Sep. 25	@ Brock
Sep. 26	@ Brock
Oct.  4	@ UND (this follows a home series against Sask)
Nov. 27	v Iowa State (3:00pm @ Max Bell Arena)
Nov. 28	v Iowa State (1:00pm @ Max Bell Arena)
Dec. 29	@ Lakehead
Dec. 30	@ Lakehead
There is no Bisons v Moose game in Steinbach this year. Also gone are trips to Bemidji and Nebraska-Omaha.

However, the nice new feature is that they will play two new opponents at home (Carleton and Iowa State). I don't care for that 3rd game in 3 nights game at UND. It is too bad that on Sept 19 they will be playing Carleton whilst at 2:00 pm the Bison football homecoming game will be played next door. No doubt Carleton has a tight travel schedule.

I like what Sirant has done here, this shakes things up a bit - historically the Bisons played a few pre-season games against conference rivals and then had that brutal trip to Omaha. After the game against Regina we have some good home exhibition games and then play UND after 2 home games - better than the year they bused through the night from Regina and then played UND.

Old
07-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

CONFERENCE RECRUITING SUMMARY

With all due credit to Berrcave at HF Boards, here is a compiation of what has transpired so far in Canada West:
Code:
REGINA COUGARS

Carter Smith F Red Deer Rebels WHL
Craig Cuthbert F Bonneyville Pontiacs AJHL

MANITOBA

Ian Duval F Kelowna Rockets WHL
Blair Macaulay F Winnipeg Saints MJHL
Chad Erb D Brandon Wheat Kings WHL
Travis Mealy D UPEI CIS
Brandon Lockerby D Edmonton Oil Kings WHL
Jessie Deckert G University of Lethbridge CIS
Troy Crowley F Phoenix Solar Bears WSHL

UBC

Justin McRae F Spokane Chiefs WHL

CALGARY

Eric Frere D Kootenay Ice WHL
Graham Potuer D Everett Silvertips WHL
Luke Egener D Red Deer Rebels WHL

LETHBRIDGE

i have not heard anything from Lethbridge

SASKATCHEWAN

Kyle Bortis F Calgary Hitmen WHL
Brennan Bosch F Medicine Hat Tigers WHL
Brendan Dowd F Edmonton Oil Kings WHL
Andrew Bailey F Kootenay Ice WHL

ALBERTA
lots of rumours
My suspicion is that the Evil Monkeys will make a host of announcements all at once.

I also see that Alberta is hosting an exhibition series on September 18th and 19th and Sask hosts a similar event September 25th and 26th. The Bisons will be playing Carleton and Brock on those weekends.

To follow up you can click the logos for the other CW hockey websites:
  • ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~

Last edited by Hollywood3: 07-06-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old
07-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

LAKEHEAD DITCHING CHRISTMAS TOURNAMENT

It seems that Lakehead is scrapping the 4 team round-robin tournament format. They had two players injured last year. [TB NEWSWATCH STORY] The teams played a round-robin over 3 days and then 1st played 2nd in the final, for a 4th game in 4 days. I know that when the Bisons won the tournament one year they were dead the next weekend.

So this year's 2 game series between the Bisons and Thunderwolves may become a regular feature.

Old
07-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Will Goodwin

UBC will be playing some exhibition games against Minnesota NCAA teams in early October. I often wondered why the Bisons don't do this. i love the UND game and they have played the Bemidji Beavers team but it would be convenient to play those top Minnesota teams too.

Old
07-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Goodwin View Post
UBC will be playing some exhibition games against Minnesota NCAA teams in early October. I often wondered why the Bisons don't do this. i love the UND game and they have played the Bemidji Beavers team but it would be convenient to play those top Minnesota teams too.
It's likely a matter of having a history and doing negotiations. This year there are no games with Bemidji or Nebraska-Omaha but there is still a game with North Dakota.

Old
07-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

EVIL MONKEYS ANNOUNCE RECRUITS

[Thurston adds six to the Golden Bear mix] - The story comes from the U of A site. Thurston is the head organ grinder for the Evil Monkeys. No word on how many of these 6 guys make a living stealing wallets in the off-season, or if that's a skill they will now have to learn. Anywho, the story says that Sorochan is gone from the Monkeys' net. The replacement goaltender, Travis Yonkman, is coming off a 4 year WHL stint with Swift Current. The juice of the story is this:
Quote:
Faced with the loss of eight players, including two CIS All-Canadians, University of Alberta Golden Bears’ hockey coach Eric Thurston has added six players for the upcoming 2009-10 season, five hailing from the province of Alberta and five with Western Hockey League experience.

Recruited to the program are three defencemen, two forwards, and one goalie, including five players from the Edmonton area, five former WHL skaters, and one former NCAA student-athlete.

Joining the Bears’ blue-line will be Colin Joe, Ian Barteaux, and Reade Wolansky. Sean Ringrose and Michael MacAngus add to the forward core while Travis Yonkman becomes Alberta’s new netminder.
I also see that the Evil Monkeys' non-conference action starts with the usual game against the Greasers' prospects, followed by the usual two pre-season exhibition quasi-tournaments (in Edmontown and Saskatown).

The unique addition is a home Christmas series against the McGilligutties. In the 2008 nationals it was an upset by the already eliminated McGilligutties over Moncton which vaulted Saudi Alberta into the final.

Old
07-31-2009, 01:13 AM
dale 1919

the huskies from northern banjoland set to announce recruits

banjoland north ( U of S)as you say is set to announce a few we are told:

Andrew Bailey -Kootenay Ice
Brennan Bosch - Med Hat Tigers
Brenden Dowd - Edmonton OilKings
Kyle Bortis - Calgary Hitmen
Kyle Ross - U of R Cougars..Regina Pats
Cody Hobbs - PG Cougars
Brett Ward - Chilly wack Bruins
Ilan Cumberbirch - Surrey Eagles
Brett Mc Cullough - Calgary Royals
David Reekie- Everett SilverTips

wow greasy depth of talent here if rumor is true!!!
Bailey and Dasilva were amazing in Cranbrook together and Bortis is easily as good as any recruit announced thus far!?

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale 1919 View Post

wow greasy depth of talent here if rumor is true!!!
Bailey and Dasilva were amazing in Cranbrook together and Bortis is easily as good as any recruit announced thus far!?
That's a lot of players to add in one season. How many players have earned their freedom from Saskatchewan from last year's team?

I am satisfied with the Manitoba recruiting (on paper). However, it seems that Alberta and Saskatchewan will not be any weaker in the coming season. Meanwhile, Regina, Calgary, UBC, and Lethbridge are evidently going to be standing pat.

Old
08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

PRE-SEASON UPDATE

The various team sites are slowly confirming the pre-season schedules. Here's a synopsis:

Sept 11 Edmonton Oilers @ Alberta
Sept 11 Manitoba @ Regina (at Whitewood)

Sept 12 Regina @ Saskatchewan (at Yorkton)

Sept 15 New York Islanders @ Saskatchewan (at Prince Albert)

Sept 18 Carlton @ Manitoba
Sept 18 Regina @ Alberta
Sept 18 TBA @ Lethbridge (at Edmontown)

Sept 19 Carlton @ Manitoba
Sept 19 Regina @ Lethbridge (at Edmontown)
Sept 19 TBA @ Alberta

Sept 25 Manitoba @ Brock
Sept 25 Lethbridge @ Regina (at Saskatown)
Sept 25 Alberta @ Saskatchewan

Sept 26 Manitoba @ Brock
Sept 26 Regina @ Saskatchewan
Sept 26 TBA @ Alberta (at Saskatown)
Sept 26 TBA @ Lethbridge (at Saskatown)

Old
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

MORE NEWS

The Evil Monkeys have added an exhibition game against the Vancouver Canucks rookies on September 9th. No update on the Brick Invitational being hosted by them September 18th and 19th.

Jered Aulin is trying out for the Columbus Blue Jackets. [LINK] He had a big year for the Dinos 2 years ago. They may have won the CW had he not been injured in the playoffs.

Old
08-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS IN BLOGGERS' RANKING OF BISONS

I came across a CIS blog from Edmontown (thanks to UNB Bruins Fan) called The Pipeline Show [LINK]. They ranked the top 5 recruiting classes in CIS hockey this season.

The good news is that an outside observer ranks the U of M Bisons 4th in all of Canada! The bad news is that the traditional top two in the CW (Sask and The Evil Monkeys) rank 2nd and 3rd. UNB (with a crop of WHLers) and St F-X rank 1st and 5th respectively.

It is hard for me to comment on the strength of recruits across the country, but where did the Ontario players go?