HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Dubinsky contract update 9/4 See Post #1071

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2009, 06:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Brandon Dubinsky contract update 9/4 See Post #1071

LB

Quote:
The Post has learned the team is in conversations with Dubinsky's representative regarding contracts of varying lengths, though neither party would characterize the state of the discussions that will accelerate upon the conclusion of Zherdev's final 96 hours.

Earlier this month, the Blueshirts signed Group II free agent Ryan Callahan to a two-year, $4.6M contract. Dubinsky's agent is certain to cite that deal -- Dubinsky went 13-28-41 last year, Callahan 22-18-40; Dubinsky is a career 27-54-81 in 170 games, Callahan 34-25-59 in 147 games -- but Callahan owned the leverage of salary arbitration rights while Dubinsky has no systemic leverage unless he can attract an offer sheet.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07312009...dev_182315.htm

Just re-sign him already.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 09-11-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old
07-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Vitto79

So why exactly are they waiting on the whole Zherdev arbitration anyways?

I mean if they sign Z they are not over the cap. I get that but they are allowed to go over and everyone knows they want to sign Dubinsky.

The only thing that makes sense is if they sign Z to a deal closer to what the want and then say to Dubinsky listen take this one year deal and next year we will make it good.

I doubt that works but who knows what Sather is thinking. Good thing is this will be all over soon

Old
07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Enough is enough Sign this kid already

Old
07-31-2009, 08:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

I mean if they sign Z they are not over the cap. I get that but they are allowed to go over and everyone knows they want to sign Dubinsky.

The only thing that makes sense is if they sign Z to a deal closer to what the want and then say to Dubinsky listen take this one year deal and next year we will make it good.

I doubt that works but who knows what Sather is thinking. Good thing is this will be all over soon
Unless Sather is trying to show other teams he was the room to accept the arbitration award so any interested teams(if there are any)have to trade for Zherdev rather than wait for him to be cut loose.

Then again,even if the Rangers accept the award he can bolt for the other league.

It was good to read the Rangers are actually negotiating with Overhardt rather than attempting to hard ball Dubinsky into accepting a 1 year deal close to his $700,000 QO.

Old
07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Unless Sather is trying to show other teams he was the room to accept the arbitration award so any interested teams(if there are any)have to trade for Zherdev rather than wait for him to be cut loose.

Then again,even if the Rangers accept the award he can bolt for the other league.

It was good to read the Rangers are actually negotiating with Overhardt rather than attempting to hard ball Dubinsky into accepting a 1 year deal close to his $700,000 QO.
Yes thats definitely a good sign.

Could there be a possibility that they want to resign both Zherdev and Dubinsky?

IMO theres very little chance of that happening. I just hope they can get something of equal value for Zherdev, but i think the window has closed on that.

Old
07-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Levitate

I imagine they want to see how much cap room they have left after Zherdev's arbitration...either they have a lot because he wins and they let him go, or they have not a lot because they keep him.

Could be the difference between giving Dubinsky a short term, cheap, one year deal, and giving him a longterm deal for more $$

Old
07-31-2009, 10:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
The deal will get done, keep being patient.

EDIT: Also, good job on using the new Larry Brooks tag, RB!

Last edited by nyr2k2: 07-31-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old
07-31-2009, 10:40 AM
gravytrain6t

Basically this comes down to whether or not Zherdev is in the Rangers long term plans or not, right? Bringing him back to the team for one year doesn't make much sense to me. Especially if Tortorella doesn't want him around. Not unless there's already a team willing to make a trade right after arbitration.

Old
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

What I believe, is that Sather wants to keep Zherdev. So depending on what Zherdev gets will effect how much he offers Dubinsky. The more Zherdev gets awarded, the less Dubinsky could potentially get. Of course, if Zherdev is awarded too much, Zherdev will be the one to go.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Ke11y96

well I don't see how there is room for Zherdev anyways..? Everyone here knows that a fourth line under Torts does not see much ice time..and with lisin getting a one way contract we have our top six wingers already..

Gaborik, Higgins, Avery, Kotalik, Callahan, and Lisin..So where would Zherdev fit anyways?

Old
07-31-2009, 11:30 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
What I believe, is that Sather wants to keep Zherdev. So depending on what Zherdev gets will effect how much he offers Dubinsky. The more Zherdev gets awarded, the less Dubinsky could potentially get. Of course, if Zherdev is awarded too much, Zherdev will be the one to go.
That's how I see it, too. No other scenario makes sense. Unless he's pulling a huge bluff with everyone and really wants to trade Zherdev but is making it seem like he wants him.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:31 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
well I don't see how there is room for Zherdev anyways..? Everyone here knows that a fourth line under Torts does not see much ice time..and with lisin getting a one way contract we have our top six wingers already..

Gaborik, Higgins, Avery, Kotalik, Callahan, and Lisin..So where would Zherdev fit anyways?
Neither Avery nor Kotalik should/would get icetime over Zherdev.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
gravytrain6t

So from that pov, would 4.5 be too much or not from a Rangers standpoint. It all comes down to what Zherdev wants anyway. That's why I don't understand the arbitration either. If the Arbitrator thinks he deserves 3.5 and the Rangers are willing to give him that, where does that leave the team? Because Zherdev was even quoted. If the Rangers do not meet my demands, I will be forced to look else where. Unless he doesn't know what the heck arbitration is.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Neither Avery nor Kotalik should/would get icetime over Zherdev.
I agree 100% however, Neither Avery, Kotalik, Gaborik, Higgins, or Callahan will be moved to create room so if they do wish to keep Zherdev...does Lisin get moved to 4th line? Or in the Minors?

Old
07-31-2009, 11:44 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
So from that pov, would 4.5 be too much or not from a Rangers standpoint. It all comes down to what Zherdev wants anyway. That's why I don't understand the arbitration either. If the Arbitrator thinks he deserves 3.5 and the Rangers are willing to give him that, where does that leave the team? Because Zherdev was even quoted. If the Rangers do not meet my demands, I will be forced to look else where. Unless he doesn't know what the heck arbitration is.
Yeah, 4.5M would be too much. Most likely, he'll get 3.875M, right in the middle of Slats offer and what Z wants. Dubinsky doesn't have much leverage so he'll have to accept what Sather offers him (most likely a cheap, 1 year contract) and go on Slat's good faith to get re-signed in Jan.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I can't see Zherdev staying. We still need to sign Dubinsky, and need two more defenseman.

The Rangers have Cap space, but not that much.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
I can't see Zherdev staying. We still need to sign Dubinsky, and need two more defenseman.

We don't need to sign two defensemen. One veteran guy that's good on the powerplay could help by slotting in but we have a ton of young guys ready or nearly ready. I wouldn't want to block them with a guy who's probably not going to be that much better anyways.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:53 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post

It would be very tight, but I just ran the numbers on another thread.

Quote:
Fowards
Marian Gaborik — $7,500,000
Chris Drury — $7,050,000
Ales Kotalik — $3,000,000
Ryan Callahan — $2,300,000
Chris Higgins — $2,250,000
Sean Avery — $1,937,500
Donald Brashear — $1,400,000
Artem Anisimov — $821,666
Enver Lisin — $790,000
Brian Boyle — $525,000
Dane Byers — $500,000

Defensemen
Wade Redden — $6,500,000
Michal Rozsival — $5,000,000
Matt Gilroy — $1,750,000
Daniel Girardi — $1,550,000
Mike Sauer ($165,000) $846,666
Marc Staal — $826,666

Goaltenders
Henrik Lundqvist — $6,875,000
Steve Valiquette — $725,000

CAP SPACE: $4,817,502
It doesn't seem like we can keep Zherdev, unless the arbitrator awards something like 2M, which is impossible. Say Dubi gets the same deal as Cally, we'd have a little over 2M left without signing Z.

EDIT- This could be done if Dubi accepts a deal in the 1M range, and the arbitrator gives Zherdev ~3.5M

Old
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
gravytrain6t

I think it makes sense. Zherdev will have all new line mates next year if he comes back. I think he's more important to the team than Dubinsky. I thought i remember reading that Zherdev wants a long term contract. At the right price, I'd give it too him. A combination of him and Gaborik on the same line with maybe Anisimov in the middle sounds pretty good to me.

We need offense if we're going any where in the playoffs. Zherdev is only 24. I can't even imagine how sick that line could be. Higgins could even play center.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 07-31-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old
07-31-2009, 12:02 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
It would be very tight, but I just ran the numbers on another thread.

It doesn't seem like we can keep Zherdev, unless the arbitrator awards something like 2M, which is impossible. Say Dubi gets the same deal as Cally, we'd have a little over 2M left without signing Z.

EDIT- This could be done if Dubi accepts a deal in the 1M range, and the arbitrator gives Zherdev ~3.5M
I thought we still had close to 9mil left. I've been going by nhlnumbers.com.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I thought we still had close to 9mil left. I've been going by nhlnumbers.com.
You have to pay close attention to who they list as being "on the team" and make sure that there's a full roster

Old
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Soks45

Wow if hey were able to keep Z and have dubi accept a lowball to make it up to him in the future i's be extatic.

Lines should this my dream scenario happen

Zherdev-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Kotalik
Lisin-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Brashear

This is a Monumental improvement from last year IMO

Plus we have a fourth line that can net one once in a while, and for those of you who say avery should be higher i see him being played situationally a lot being run with one of the top three lines for an an energy shift here and their and to give the wingers a breather during games.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:11 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
We don't need to sign two defensemen. One veteran guy that's good on the powerplay could help by slotting in but we have a ton of young guys ready or nearly ready. I wouldn't want to block them with a guy who's probably not going to be that much better anyways.
Even if you bring up a young defenseman and sign a veteran, how much is that veteran gonna cost? How much is Dubinsky going to sign for?

I'm going by Cap Geek keep in mind, and it shows we have roughly $3.6 million in cap space.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soks45 View Post
Wow if hey were able to keep Z and have dubi accept a lowball to make it up to him in the future i's be extatic.

Zherdev-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Kotalik
Lisin-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Brashear

Plus we have a fourth line that can net one once in a while, and for those of you who say avery should be higher i see him being played situationally a lot being run with one of the top three lines for an an energy shift here and their and to give the wingers a breather during games.
It certainly would be great. I just hope it all works out.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soks45 View Post

Zherdev-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Kotalik
Lisin-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Brashear

I think I've said this a few different times in other threads. Avery is not a fourth liner. He's a borderline 2nd liner at best, would fit in great on the 3rd line, but he is NOT a fourth liner. The year we got him in the trade he had 18 goals and 30 assists. The year after that he was on pace for the same stats but missed 25 games. Last season he had 5-7-12 in 18 games with the Rangers. Putting him on the 4th would be a waste.

Closed Thread