Expand the DUB!

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Orv

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23
There is absolutely no need for further expansion of the WHL.
Here, Here!!!

Old
10-29-2004, 01:00 AM
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinStuckInTheEye
Everett Events Center = 8500 seats

South Surrey Arena = 1200 seats

Big difference.
Not too many moons ago:

Everett Events Center = non-existent

In other words, if you build it, they will come.

Old
10-29-2004, 01:04 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
Not too many moons ago:

Everett Events Center = non-existent

In other words, if you build it, they will come.
Not necessarily.

I don't know how the Everett Event Center was payed for, but how do you know the people of Surrey would be willing to spend more tax dollars on a new arena? How do you even know that the people of Surrey would support a WHL team?

The only two cities in BC that I think could realistically do well with a WHL team are Chilliwack and Nanaimo. Both have BCHL teams who can draw over 2,000-2,500 for BCHL games on any given night. Both would only have a chance to get WHL teams if a relocation situation arises in the league, as the league has zero plans for any expansion in the near future.

Old
10-29-2004, 01:09 AM
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
If there is any place in the Lower Mainland who has a WHL-capable arena, it's Chilliwack.
I could see Chilliwack as pretty viable for sure.

But as far as Surrey goes, you would also be able to draw from Bellingham just south of the border. Just a thought.

I know I started (really re-started) this topic, and I'm not saying I think it will happen, just that the talent is sufficient. And it would seem a bit more practical to play 72 games just to eliminate 4 teams for playoffs. Believe me, I like the balance of the WHL now and have no complaints.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:41 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
If there is any place in the Lower Mainland who has a WHL-capable arena, it's Chilliwack. They just opened a new arena that seats roughly 3,000.
Word in Chilliwack is that when building the rink, they built so they can expand it to over 5,000 seats if there is ever to be a WHL team to come.

Not to mention Pat Quinn has a stake in the ownership of the Chilliwack rink. Doubtful he'd be involved in building a fancy new rink for a BCHL team without looking at the possibility of eventually getting the WHL in there.

Old
10-29-2004, 05:46 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
But as far as Surrey goes, you would also be able to draw from Bellingham just south of the border. Just a thought.
You wouldn't draw them as season ticket holders though which is what a new team needs. Most home games would be on the weekends when the lines at the border crossings are the longest. It'd be hard to sell to a city where the trip would be shorter than the wait in line.

Old
10-29-2004, 05:48 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Word in Chilliwack is that when building the rink, they built so they can expand it to over 5,000 seats if there is ever to be a WHL team to come.

Not to mention Pat Quinn has a stake in the ownership of the Chilliwack rink. Doubtful he'd be involved in building a fancy new rink for a BCHL team without looking at the possibility of eventually getting the WHL in there.
He'd have to sell his stake in the Giants before doing business with the Chilliwack team. I'm not saying I know which one he'd pick but if it were me, I'd stay with the established team unless the new team offered me something I couldn't refuse.

Old
10-29-2004, 05:54 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Not necessarily.

I don't know how the Everett Event Center was payed for, but how do you know the people of Surrey would be willing to spend more tax dollars on a new arena? How do you even know that the people of Surrey would support a WHL team?

The only two cities in BC that I think could realistically do well with a WHL team are Chilliwack and Nanaimo. Both have BCHL teams who can draw over 2,000-2,500 for BCHL games on any given night. Both would only have a chance to get WHL teams if a relocation situation arises in the league, as the league has zero plans for any expansion in the near future.
Just for information:

Quote:
Most of the $71.5 million is coming from debt financing, with the facilities district selling commercial paper and paying off the debt with lodging taxes, a state sales-tax rebate and revenue from Event Center operations. Eventually, the agency will replace the commercial paper by selling bonds.
Source: Puget Sound Business Journal

Old
10-29-2004, 08:40 AM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
The reason the OHL is successful with 4 teams in Greater Toronto is because the teams, with the exception of Bramptom, have been around for many years. The league has had time to grow.
Actually, here is the time line for the GTA teams.

Oshawa - 1951
St Mike's - 1997
Mississauga - 1998
Brampton - 1998

Old
10-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Actually, here is the time line for the GTA teams.

Oshawa - 1951
St Mike's - 1997
Mississauga - 1998
Brampton - 1998
The current Majors yes but the team has been around since 1906.

Old
10-29-2004, 02:09 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
The current Majors yes but the team has been around since 1906.
The team hadn't been around from 1961 to 1997. That's 36 years of no hockey. It's not like it was that established.

By that token, the New Westminster Bruins could re-establish themselves in the Lower Mainland.

Old
10-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
And haven't the current Majors been struggling with arena leasing and fan support since day 1?

Old
10-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
The team hadn't been around from 1961 to 1997. That's 36 years of no hockey. It's not like it was that established.
36 years of no hockey doesn't erase 56 years of hockey, including 4 Memorial Cups. Also, even though they werent in the OHL, they still fielded teams in other junior leagues. The "A" team wasn't there but St Mikes was and is rich in hockey tradition and history.

Old
10-29-2004, 08:26 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
36 years of no hockey doesn't erase 56 years of hockey, including 4 Memorial Cups. Also, even though they werent in the OHL, they still fielded teams in other junior leagues. The "A" team wasn't there but St Mikes was and is rich in hockey tradition and history.
But the junior leagues were far less popular back then they are today. I had never heard of St Mikes until they resumed play in 97. Granted I don't live in the GTA, but I do live in Ontario.

Old
10-31-2004, 10:57 AM
Upchuck19

The WHL is not expanding, 20 teams is enough. Sure there are good cities that deserve a team, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Victoria, Surrey, Chilliwack, probly all could field a team.

Does anyone think the same problem the NHL has could come to the WHL? Big markets taking over teams and small markets struggling. In the NHL small markets like Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Quebec City have lost there teams or continue to struggle, will the same thing happen the the WHL?

Can Prince Albert, Swift Current, Cranbrook survive with the big markets trying to eat them up?

Closed Thread