HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News Clarke Interview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2009, 02:30 PM
  #26
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Sour grapes?

The bolded part of your paragraph is ridiculous. The fact that you don't give the Pens any credit for winning even one of their series is even more ridiculous.
Am I wrong about any of it? Please explain how. We gave away two games and one was stolen by Fleury alone.
The Caps did absolutely not show up for game 7, it was just a completely horrible performance by them.
The Canes were beaten and battered after the series with the Bruins.

The Pens did manage to beat the Wings, I give them that, but for the most part they advanced because their opponents could not. In my opinion, the Pens won because they were the most healthy still standing and those who could profit the most from the opponents mistakes (or those of the referees).

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:40 PM
  #27
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Am I wrong about any of it? Please explain how. We gave away two games and one was stolen by Fleury alone.
The Caps did absolutely not show up for game 7, it was just a completely horrible performance by them.
The Canes were beaten and battered after the series with the Bruins.

The Pens did manage to beat the Wings, I give them that, but for the most part they advanced because their opponents could not. In my opinion, the Pens won because they were the most healthy still standing and those who could profit the most from the opponents mistakes (or those of the referees).
The only game in the Flyers/Pens series that maybe should have gone the other way was the game Fleury stole. In Game 6, the Pens completely dominated the Flyers for 55 of the 60 minutes. Based on the the way Pittsburgh played he first period, they were extremely unfortunate to be down 2-0 heading into the intermission. Pittsburgh earned a tough six game series victory against the Flyers.

Against Washington, the Pens came back from 3-1 down winning twice on the road with their best defenceman far from 100%. Another hard fought series went their way because they showed up when it mattered. You may blame the blowout on an unmotivated Washington team but why can't you credit the Penguins for going into a rival's arena, where the loser goes home, and kicking the **** out them?

Carolina may have run out of gas, but the playoffs are a grind. Did the Flyers run out of gas in 2008, or were they just defeated by a far superior team in the Eastern Conference Finals? Playing their best, the Canes don't come close to beating Pittsburgh in 2009. By the time the Pens and Canes met, Carolina had only played one game more than Pittsburgh. Why weren't the Pens battered and tired?

The Stanley Cup Final was a series dominated by the home team until, in Game 7, Pittsburgh outplayed the Wings in Detroit. They earned that victory with the best road game they played in the entire 2009 playoffs. Detroit was supposed to win, they were supposed to dominate and they were supposed to raise the Cup on their home ice. Pittsburgh didn't play the game on paper; they went out and put away another team in a loser goes home situation on the road.

You seem to give credit to everyone but the Penguins. The refs were making calls in their favour, the Flyers gave away two games, the Caps gave away Game 7, the Canes were too tired. Excuses are for losers.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
  #28
Lario Melieux*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Am I wrong about any of it? Please explain how. We gave away two games and one was stolen by Fleury alone.
The Caps did absolutely not show up for game 7, it was just a completely horrible performance by them.
The Canes were beaten and battered after the series with the Bruins.

The Pens did manage to beat the Wings, I give them that, but for the most part they advanced because their opponents could not. In my opinion, the Pens won because they were the most healthy still standing and those who could profit the most from the opponents mistakes (or those of the referees).
Do you think the Pens made it to the SCF's the year prior because of those same reasons?

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
  #29
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Do you think the Pens made it to the SCF's the year prior because of those same reasons?
Be assured that most of us, or at least me, believe the Pens earned the Cup.

You don't come back from 0-2 deficits TWICE to win playoff series unless you're a damn good team.

Everyone catches some breaks here and there, and the Pens took advantage of whatever breaks came their way. That's what makes them champions.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
  #30
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Am I wrong about any of it? Please explain how. We gave away two games and one was stolen by Fleury alone.
The Caps did absolutely not show up for game 7, it was just a completely horrible performance by them.
The Canes were beaten and battered after the series with the Bruins.

The Pens did manage to beat the Wings, I give them that, but for the most part they advanced because their opponents could not. In my opinion, the Pens won because they were the most healthy still standing and those who could profit the most from the opponents mistakes (or those of the referees).
a win is a win

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:34 PM
  #31
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Man I just wished he could have played forever! He is the Arc Angel of the Spectrum. Clarkie created the image for what the Flyers stand for today. When I think of a Flyer and what they stand for, number 16 is what comes to mind. Dam the 70's were fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 11:17 PM
  #32
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The only game in the Flyers/Pens series that maybe should have gone the other way was the game Fleury stole. In Game 6, the Pens completely dominated the Flyers for 55 of the 60 minutes. Based on the the way Pittsburgh played he first period, they were extremely unfortunate to be down 2-0 heading into the intermission. Pittsburgh earned a tough six game series victory against the Flyers.

Against Washington, the Pens came back from 3-1 down winning twice on the road with their best defenceman far from 100%. Another hard fought series went their way because they showed up when it mattered. You may blame the blowout on an unmotivated Washington team but why can't you credit the Penguins for going into a rival's arena, where the loser goes home, and kicking the **** out them?

Carolina may have run out of gas, but the playoffs are a grind. Did the Flyers run out of gas in 2008, or were they just defeated by a far superior team in the Eastern Conference Finals? Playing their best, the Canes don't come close to beating Pittsburgh in 2009. By the time the Pens and Canes met, Carolina had only played one game more than Pittsburgh. Why weren't the Pens battered and tired?

The Stanley Cup Final was a series dominated by the home team until, in Game 7, Pittsburgh outplayed the Wings in Detroit. They earned that victory with the best road game they played in the entire 2009 playoffs. Detroit was supposed to win, they were supposed to dominate and they were supposed to raise the Cup on their home ice. Pittsburgh didn't play the game on paper; they went out and put away another team in a loser goes home situation on the road.

You seem to give credit to everyone but the Penguins. The refs were making calls in their favour, the Flyers gave away two games, the Caps gave away Game 7, the Canes were too tired. Excuses are for losers.
Thank you.

I don't come here to troll, but it's easy to see why Pens fans (or Washington / Chicago) takes issue with Clarke's comments. Very disrespectful and some of it not even true.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 11:44 PM
  #33
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislephive View Post
Thank you.

I don't come here to troll, but it's easy to see why Pens fans (or Washington / Chicago) takes issue with Clarke's comments. Very disrespectful and some of it not even true.
Bobby Clarke was the hero of my youth, but he's really not a very bright guy. Alas, the disappointments of aging....

He can moan about other teams all he wants, but he had an unlimited budget and REFUSED to get a decent goalie when he had the team to win.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 01:01 AM
  #34
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
I think the people here misunderstand something. I did not say the Pens didn't do anything to earn their victories. They definitely did. However, the factor that decided the first three series the Pens played was never their superior play, but the inferior play of their opponents. That's just my opinion of it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
[Clarke] can moan about other teams all he wants, but he had an unlimited budget and REFUSED to get a decent goalie when he had the team to win.
Right. In his first tenure as GM we only got Lindbergh and Hextall and in his 2nd he brought back Hextall, brought in John Vanbiesbrouck, brought up Czechmanek. Also acquiring the decent backup goalies of Boucher and Niittymaki are his doing, but yeah, Clarke REFUSED to get a decent goalie

The goaltender market isn't that easy. As soon as a team realizes how good a goalie can become, he will be locked up ASAP. Unless you get a fallout with the team he's currently on (like the Canadiens and Roy), the Goalie wants to move on by his own decision or the current team doesn't realize the potential of that goalie (like the Islanders on Luongo), it borders on impossibility to acquire a franchise goaltender, the thing you are really talking about. That is of course unless you drafted him and locked him up yourself.


Last edited by chaosof99*: 08-01-2009 at 01:09 AM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 01:51 AM
  #35
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Clarke isn't exactly wrong, but people love to take everything he says literally. Says more of the posters commenting on what was said than Clarke, really.

Put it this way:
The Penguins have played a total of 220 playoff games. The Flyers have 191 playoff wins alone during that same frame of time.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 07:51 AM
  #36
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I think the people here misunderstand something. I did not say the Pens didn't do anything to earn their victories. They definitely did. However, the factor that decided the first three series the Pens played was never their superior play, but the inferior play of their opponents. That's just my opinion of it.
If your opponents are playing inferior then you would be playing superior, no?

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 09:38 AM
  #37
Hawksfan12*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Pittsburgh had been saddled with a low revenue building and dodgy ownership, the Caps tried to win since Leonsis bought them but it took them awhile, Chicago didn't get good again until old man Wirtz died.

It comes from the top in hockey and Snider has been a gem of an owner. I wouldn't take it as far as Calrke, who seems to be implying those clubs deliberately tanked to load up on high draft picks.
Pretty Much This.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 09:51 AM
  #38
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
meh, i love clarkie and how he keeps it real, but he should really give the penguins at least a little credit. any team with 2 of the 3 best players in the league is going to be a solid contender; the fact that the penguins were in a good position to take advantage of the new CBA is not really their fault.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 09:55 AM
  #39
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40,484
vCash: 681
Keep the comments to the topic at hand and if you are visiting from another team's board follow the Site Rules as agreed upon as members. Otherwise, face the consequences.

http://hfboards.com/misc.php?do=cfrules

For starters:

Quote:

Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack. Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members or make posts about ignore lists. Quotes by other members are not to be edited. You may reply to a partial quote, but do not change the quoted content in any way. No one likes to be misrepresented or have words put in their mouth.

Trolling: Do not post topics with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. Note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling; keep it civil, even if you're sure the other person is wrong. When visiting the team forums please note that they are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans. Do not visit team forums to cheer against or demean their team, or cheer for their opponent. In other words, if you want to cheer for the Habs and criticize the Bruins, do it on the Habs board. And if someone is doing the opposite on the Bruins board, don't start flaming them to defend the honor of your team. Either ignore it respectfully disagree and move on. Wishing illness or injury on someone will almost always be regarded as trolling or offensive. We do not permit team forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. That is considered trolling. Bringing posts from one team forum to another for this purpose is also considered trolling.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:42 PM
  #40
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislephive View Post
If your opponents are playing inferior then you would be playing superior, no?
You forget the temporal aspect. What I wanted to express is that the Pens didn't win because they elevated their play over those of their opponents, but because their opponents dropped their performance.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 04:25 PM
  #41
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,874
vCash: 50
He sounds like he did after he was blitzed for signing Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet. Right on some things, but generally just angry in general and comes off as a whiner.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 05:26 PM
  #42
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,200
vCash: 500
Love him, love the interview. I would hate it if the Flyers took the path of the Pens, tank, tank, tank, high pick, high pick, high pick, almost go bankrupt, oh lookee, Stanley Cup.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 06:17 PM
  #43
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He sounds like he did after he was blitzed for signing Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet. Right on some things, but generally just angry in general and comes off as a whiner.
Exactly, if someone else had said this or if Clarkie had said it without dragging the Flyers franchise into it, I think he'd be in for a lot less criticism because he certainly had some very, very valid points and I think tanking is a concern and while I don't know if the Pens/Caps/Hawks intentionally tanked, you can't tell me that their owners and GMs were solely focused on winning games at any cost.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:28 PM
  #44
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
He still loves Philly and hates everyone else. My all time favorite hockey personality.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 09:36 PM
  #45
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
The main board is a complete ****storm over this. It's amusing, but irritating. It's finally August though. When does training camp begin?

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:08 AM
  #46
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,874
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Love him, love the interview. I would hate it if the Flyers took the path of the Pens, tank, tank, tank, high pick, high pick, high pick, almost go bankrupt, oh lookee, Stanley Cup.
At this point, as a Flyers fan, I really don't care how they get it. Let's get 1, and then we can pick and choose our battles. Until then, the name of the game is to win the Cup, and in the last 20 years, the Penguins won it 3 times, and we've only been to the finals once. How they did it, is irrelevant. They're contenders and will be for years to come. If anyone hates it because of "tanking" it's time to get over it, because it doesn't change history, and they still got the bragging rights, not just for winning, but also beating us 2 years in a row.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:04 AM
  #47
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
At this point, as a Flyers fan, I really don't care how they get it. Let's get 1, and then we can pick and choose our battles. Until then, the name of the game is to win the Cup, and in the last 20 years, the Penguins won it 3 times, and we've only been to the finals once. How they did it, is irrelevant. They're contenders and will be for years to come. If anyone hates it because of "tanking" it's time to get over it, because it doesn't change history, and they still got the bragging rights, not just for winning, but also beating us 2 years in a row.
FWIW: That is known as, the end justifies the means.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 01:04 PM
  #48
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
At this point, as a Flyers fan, I really don't care how they get it. Let's get 1, and then we can pick and choose our battles. Until then, the name of the game is to win the Cup, and in the last 20 years, the Penguins won it 3 times, and we've only been to the finals once. How they did it, is irrelevant. They're contenders and will be for years to come. If anyone hates it because of "tanking" it's time to get over it, because it doesn't change history, and they still got the bragging rights, not just for winning, but also beating us 2 years in a row.
If we had 3 seasons in a row of the year that shall not be named, I would probably cancel my subscription to Centre Ice. Losing repeatedly doesn't cut it, except for Maple Leafs' fans.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 01:17 PM
  #49
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If we had 3 seasons in a row of the year that shall not be named, I would probably cancel my subscription to Centre Ice. Losing repeatedly doesn't cut it, except for Maple Leafs' fans.
But that is, of course, because we do not live in the 'Center of the Hockey Universe'.


EDIT: Whoops... I just saw your location, Woof... and you actually do.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 02:48 PM
  #50
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 13,105
vCash: 500
I think all of us just should stay out of the ****storm on the main board.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.