HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting in shape

Old
07-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Jerome

vCash: 500
If you eat enought fruits, veggies, nuts and good meats you won't loose muscles mass, but you need to eat a lot of them, also you may think you loose muscles but you loose alot of water with this type of diet cause you cut sugar and 1g of sugar means 3g of water...Keep it on and you'll be great for the beach

Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
for $25 at costco i get 2KGs of whey(not soy sorry) protein and i mix it with skim milk.it lasts me about 2-3 months. this plus the fruit have helped me trim off about 20 pounds since may. i only skate once a week in the summer so i need to watch what i eat.i have also replaced molson canadian beer (or about 12 of them on a friday and or saturday night) with rum and diet caff free coke. six of those and i'm gone.
i am also in construction which keeps me somewhat active, but it doesn't replace excersie LOL. in the winter i skate three times a week (or more) and that combined with work keeps me slimmer.
I live in a small town, so no costco. Can you get this stuff at pharmacies, like Rexall ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:37 AM
droller*

Sounds like P90X is for you? Are you ready to turn yourself into an ANIMAL?!?!?!

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I live in a small town, so no costco. Can you get this stuff at pharmacies, like Rexall ?
You might be able to, but if you have a GNC around they carry all the protein mixes to. I use the All Max whey protein isolate, but I paid 100 $ for a 2 KG.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

P90X is really challenging. I'll give it another honest shot when my baby gets a little older.

I'm also going to try cutting milk and other dairy products to see if it helps with this chronic cough that I have. For about three years now I get terrible coughing fits (semi-productive) after exercise and first thing in the morning. I have no response to albuterol, so it doesn't seem to be exercise asthma. From what I understand, it could be a dairy allergy, and I do drink 4-6 cups of milk a day.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:40 PM
MrBoxOffice

The battle of the buldge is the story of my life.

The one method that has always worked for me, is strictly watching your carb intake. I'm not saying do away with carbs, just limit them to your breakfast and lunch, and never with dinner or after 8:00pm.

Now the carbs you do consume...must be whole wheat. Bread, Pasta, Couscous, and avoid high carb veggies like potatos, corn, squash etc. (Consult the glycemic index)

Eat meat at dinner/lunch...chicken breast...steak...whatever, minimize your salt (sodium) intake, and of course fats.

Of course you must be downing water (1.2L per 100lbs), and the more the better.

Master that and get exercise 3-5 times a week and you'll be dropping pounds in no time.

When i used this years ago, i was dropping 10lbs a week some weeks....it really works and once you have a solid base its simple to cheat here and there...everything in moderation.

Besides, rationalize it to yourself: Cheat = more exercise.

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
You were dropping 10 lbs of water due to carb restriction, not fat, maybe even some muscle. But yeah, your advice would work for most people wanting to lose weight. It's proven, I've tried it and it works.

That said, if people want to be unhappy, there's some great advice in this thread.

P90x sucks. Strict carb restriction sucks, low fat sucks.

I've gained on high carb, lost on high carb, gained on high fat and lost on high fat. What does that tell you? What I've noticed is the best way to really understand how you respond to food and calorie intake is using the experimental method. Keep the same variables, but change 1 for 2-4 weeks, look at the results, make a conclusion and so on. I've noticed I lose weight at 3000 calories and gain fat at about 4000 calories. I've been having a hard time getting the right amount in between that cause when I lose, I lose quickly and when I gain, I gain quickly.

Seriously, a good workout program+sports+balanced diet(and a balanced life) is the the simple solution to everything. You'll be happy with your eating, happy with your sports life and you'll see the fat shed week after week, albeit slowly, but what matters is the long run.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:23 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
You were dropping 10 lbs of water due to carb restriction, not fat, maybe even some muscle. But yeah, your advice would work for most people wanting to lose weight. It's proven, I've tried it and it works.

That said, if people want to be unhappy, there's some great advice in this thread.

P90x sucks. Strict carb restriction sucks, low fat sucks.

I've gained on high carb, lost on high carb, gained on high fat and lost on high fat. What does that tell you? What I've noticed is the best way to really understand how you respond to food and calorie intake is using the experimental method. Keep the same variables, but change 1 for 2-4 weeks, look at the results, make a conclusion and so on. I've noticed I lose weight at 3000 calories and gain fat at about 4000 calories. I've been having a hard time getting the right amount in between that cause when I lose, I lose quickly and when I gain, I gain quickly.

Seriously, a good workout program+sports+balanced diet(and a balanced life) is the the simple solution to everything. You'll be happy with your eating, happy with your sports life and you'll see the fat shed week after week, albeit slowly, but what matters is the long run.
I couldn't agree more with this. What it comes down to is not eating too much processed junk and exercise.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:12 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If you wanna be in hockey shape, START RUNNING. Once you get to where you can run 3+ miles in under 30 minutes, you are good to go.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
I couldn't agree more with this. What it comes down to is not eating too much processed junk and exercise.
Basically ya. Eat good, Exercise and that's all you need to get in shape.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:08 PM
milkshow

Keep away from red meats!

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforthegame View Post

Says who?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
bunjay

lol @ p90x.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Something most people don't understand is you DON'T need to be cut to be a good player. In many cases, it can be a liability. You need to be 1) strong, 2) fit enough cardio wise and 3) able to take hits, which is where fat sometimes helps, especially around the kidneys.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:11 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Round is a shape

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:56 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Round is a shape
best answer yet.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 09:02 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Something most people don't understand is you DON'T need to be cut to be a good player. In many cases, it can be a liability. You need to be 1) strong, 2) fit enough cardio wise and 3) able to take hits, which is where fat sometimes helps, especially around the kidneys.
How is being cut a liability?

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
so i can have more!!!

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Jerome

Quote:
Red meats makes your testo goes up, stay away from them = testo goes down...

Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

A few tips:

Drink lots of water all day long.

No soda, butter, mayo, chips, cookies, ice cream etc. if you must, have a little bit once a week as a reward and/or to keep you on track.

Stop eating food thats premade/prepackaged, prepare meals and snacks with natural ingredients. No more fast food. Try to eat at home or bring something from home.

Try to stay away from fatty **** like bacon, pizza, sausage, burgers, hot dogs.

Watch the size of your portions, try to eat as many small meals throughout the day rather than a couple large ones. eat something small and healthy almost before you get hungry. if you wait and get real hungry, its very easy to scarf down a huge amount of food before your stomach realizes you have overeaten.

Make the switch to whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta. it keeps you feeling full much longer.
Make the switch to skim milk or 1% if you drink homo or 2%. work your way down.
Make the switch to all natural peanut butter, the fats contained help you break down fat.
If you need to use oil, try olive oil, the fats contained also help you break down fat.

Cut down huge on alcohol, your body works on burning the alcohol instead of your fat, not to mention the added calories.

If you smoke, try to cut down and quit.

Do not eat meals late at night. if you must, eat some fruit or veggies.

Do not eat carbs past 6pm. no rice, pasta, breads. it will make a huge difference.

Combine all this with exersize, start out light and go for walks, as your body adjusts you can walk longer, faster or uphill. you can then start jogging, biking, or active sports and do some exersize at least 4 times a week, even if its moderate, its something.

Last of all, lots of solid rest. You will see results.

During a party mode I gained a ton of weight, I am 6'1 and was at 240, i busted my ass and worked out hard and followed these basic rules. I dropped down to 190 in about 6 months. Everyones body is different, and this is not a diet its a lifestyle change. Start now.

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 03:27 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnychiba View Post
A few tips:

Drink lots of water all day long.
The water one is huge.

A lot of times your body mistakes thirst for hunger. Next time you feel like chowing down on everything in sight, start with a glass or two of water, you will tend to automatically eat less.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 03:31 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
The water one is huge.

A lot of times your body mistakes thirst for hunger. Next time you feel like chowing down on everything in sight, start with a glass or two of water, you will tend to automatically eat less.
totally man, it gives you a ton more energy too.

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

stay away from redbull, coffee before games.

if you need an energy supplement try 5 hour energy

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Blueland89

When I started playing about 3 years ago I stated playing inline and was skating about 3 times a week. I had the same problem but it went away after awhile same as the pain in the arch of my foot and ankles. My guess is you just using muscles in ways that you haven't used them in some time. One thing I would recommend is to make sure your neck is in a line with your back by keeping your head up don't lead with it or let it slouch down it puts strain on the lower back.

My suggestion is to watch posture and the pain will go away with time and muscle strengthening.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
stay away from redbull, coffee before games.

if you need an energy supplement try 5 hour energy
My sarcasm detector must be broken. But you realize 5 hr energy is JUST as bad as that crap you mentioned right?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote