HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The actual signing of Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (1yr, $600K)

Old
07-31-2009, 09:24 AM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

vCash: 500
More from Norwegian media: He was offered the same deal by the Penguins, but chose the Flyers because he got signals from Holmgren that he was in their future plans after this season, and because of their style of play. He felt that he could squeezed out by the Penguins after this season, because of a lot of players there are due to get new contracts in the summer.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Apparently he is going to wear 55.

Interesting to hear that Thor (who is a really good friend of his) "had nothing but really great things to say about the organization"
Well they took good care of him when he almost lost a nut

Too bad they didn't offer Thoresen the contract he was looking for. But now he probably wants to come back next year, would be great for them to play together.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:28 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Eklund reported on HockeyBuzz that the Kings are interested in Jones... And Panaccio suggested that with OKT's signing, Jones' days were numbered, in HIS opinion... Please take both FWIW.
Randy Jones for Sean O'Donnell + 2nd/3rd. Works for me. They get a young dman who can play 2nd/3rd pairing, we get a vet who can fill in when needed. We save 1.5 mil and have about 2.7 mil to sign one forward and leave some room for call-ups.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:

Interesting to hear that Thor (who is a really good friend of his) "had nothing but really great things to say about the organization"
Maybe they have the same work ethic toward blocking shots too. Balls of steel, part deux?

And despite that nose, he's still got a face worthy of some eyecandy as well. ****, just look at Richards. I love getting new players to look at hahah.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:54 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Hopefully, he can be a Danny Markov reincarnate for us.

And yeah, what a nose...this team's turning into the Busted Nose Bullies.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I wonder if LA would be willing to take Matt Carle/Randy Jones + Nodl/matsumoto for Alexander Frolov?

Gagne - Richards - Frolov
Hartnell - Carter - Pyro
Lappy - Giroux - Briere
Carcillo - Powe - Asham

Allows them to move JJ then.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
More from Norwegian media: He was offered the same deal by the Penguins, but chose the Flyers because he got signals from Holmgren that he was in their future plans after this season, and because of their style of play. He felt that he could squeezed out by the Penguins after this season, because of a lot of players there are due to get new contracts in the summer.
He spoke to Thor!, as well.

Quote:
Tollefsen is just the fifth Norwegian-born player to play in the NHL, but the second to play for the Flyers, joining Patrick Thoresen, who appeared in 21 regular season games and 14 playoff games in 2007-08.

"Patrick is a really good buddy of mine," Tollefsen said. "I just talked with him (Wednesday) night, so he was pretty excited for me when I told him I would be playing for the Flyers. He had nothing to say but great things about the organization."

More info on other matters:

Quote:

It is entirely possible, however, that Tollefsen's arrival could signal the end of Jones' career as a Flyer. Last summer, Jones signed a two-year contract that pays him $2.75 million a season.

If the Flyers place Jones on waivers, he could either be claimed by another NHL team or assigned to the Phantoms, much the same way Denis Gauthier was in 2007-08.

Holmgren said he would like to see how his defense shapes up in training camp before making any final decisions on Jones.

By adding Tollefsen, the Flyers' payroll increased to $55.1 million, giving them $1.7 million of wiggle room under the NHL salary cap. But if Jones' salary is removed, that number swells to $4.4 million and that would afford them the space to pursue a winger who can score.

Among the free agent forwards still unsigned are Alex Tanguay, Petr Sykora, Miro Satan, Brendan Shanahan and Robert Lang. The Flyers could use an offensive right wing who can compensate for the loss of Mike Knuble and Joffrey Lupul last month.

The Flyers are overloaded at center with Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Danny Briere, Claude Giroux, Ian Laperriere and Darroll Powe. Look for Briere to open training camp as a right wing. Giroux might also have to start there because he's simply too talented to play as a third-line center.

That would leave Richards, Carter, Laperriere and Powe as the Flyers' top four centers; Briere, Giroux, rookie James Van Riemsdyk and Arron Asham as the team's four right wings; and Simon Gagne, Scott Hartnell, Dan Carcillo and Riley Cote on the left side.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...plate=printart

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:11 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

That would leave Richards, Carter, Laperriere and Powe as the Flyers' top four centers; Briere, Giroux, rookie James Van Riemsdyk and Arron Asham as the team's four right wings; and Simon Gagne, Scott Hartnell, Dan Carcillo and Riley Cote on the left side.
I would have to guess that Gormley is basing those positions off info he is getting from Holmgren and company. If that is in fact the case, it becomes quite clear that they intend Laperriere to center the third line. Whether anyone likes it or not, looks like it'll be the case. Also looks as though Powe would center the fourth rather than maybe play wing on the 3rd. We'll have to see how camp goes, and how JVR does, but if those wind up being our 12 forwards to start the season, and all at those positions, barring any injuries...

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Carcillo-Laperriere-JVR
Cote-Powe-Asham

Not entirely crazy about it, but that's about the best I could come up with...JVR should have to earn his stripes a bit on a lesser line anyway, just as Giroux did.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Kambo

Quote:
He spoke to Thor!, as well.

More info on other matters:

Quote:
Holmgren said he would like to see how his defense shapes up in training camp before making any final decisions on Jones.
The fact that he's even thinking about it is ****ing awesome. I'm just surprised that he said that outright.
I didn't know Alberts signed yet though. I haven't really been paying attention lately. I was hoping we could manage to, but I'm pretty happy with our D right now. However, I'll be ecstatic if that ****** ass mother ****er is el finito. I'll probably throw a huge kegger the day that happens. Everyone's invited!

Old
07-31-2009, 12:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Yes, Kambo. Carolina now has Alberts, Ward and Walker:

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Yes, Kambo. Carolina now has Alberts, Ward and Walker:

That's gonna make for some really fun locker room talk.

Old
07-31-2009, 01:15 PM
ilovetheflyers8

It would be awesome if Tollefsen got Thoresen to come back after his year in the KHL (is he signed for more than one year there?). But if Thoresen was to be a third or fourth liner like he was before I'm not sure who he would replace because we have young guys like Maroon and JVR, and I hope we keep Powe and Asham, and I'm pretty sure we are keeping Laperriere as we signed him to a three year deal. If Carcillo doesn't perform that well this year I wouldn't mind seeing him go though I kind of like him and hope he plays a lot better this year in terms of production.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Esq.

If Holmgren waits until training camp to decide what to do with our defense, Jones in particular, it will be too late to sign somebody like Tanguay. Most of those guys will presumably sign before training camp and there won't be any options left even if we do have around $4M to play with under the cap.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter Skelter View Post
If Holmgren waits until training camp to decide what to do with our defense, Jones in particular, it will be too late to sign somebody like Tanguay. Most of those guys will presumably sign before training camp and there won't be any options left even if we do have around $4M to play with under the cap.
Homer signs Emery and Boucher and is attacked because Biron ended up a bargain that could possibly have been signed on the cheap... had Homer just been patient and waited as the Market shook out and quality players became available at a fraction of their original asking price.

Fast forward... Homer decides to hold off on finalizing the D-men and the Forwards to see how the team shakes out -- and maybe to see who is available, suddenly affordable -- before he decides to move Jones or not, and use the money elsewhere... and he is chastised for doing that.

Homer will do whatever he feels prudent... and it will make no difference in the arena of public opinion; he will have done it incorrectly in the eyes of those who step forward whichever decision(s) he makes.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Homer signs Emery and Boucher and is attacked because Biron ended up a bargain that could possibly have been signed on the cheap... had Homer just been patient and waited as the Market shook out and quality players became available at a fraction of their original asking price.

Fast forward... Homer decides to hold off on finalizing the D-men and the Forwards to see how the team shakes out -- and maybe to see who is available, suddenly affordable -- before he decides to move Jones or not, and use the money elsewhere... and he is chastised for doing that.
You realize that there is a golden mean between too much patience and too little patience, yes? No one advocated him waiting until training camp to sign a starting goalie.

Quote:
Homer will do whatever he feels prudent... and it will make no difference in the arena of public opinion; he will have done it incorrectly in the eyes of those who step forward whichever decision(s) he makes.
Yes, because Holmgren's tenure as GM has been marked as constant criticism of his moves...ya know, outside of the first year or so when he had hagiographies being written of him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 01:57 AM
kingsofLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I wonder if LA would be willing to take Matt Carle/Randy Jones + Nodl/matsumoto for Alexander Frolov?

Gagne - Richards - Frolov
Hartnell - Carter - Pyro
Lappy - Giroux - Briere
Carcillo - Powe - Asham

Allows them to move JJ then.
how about that 3rd liner in Giroux for our 1st liner in Fro

kingsofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 02:19 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofLA View Post
how about that 3rd liner in Giroux for our 1st liner in Fro
Lol, knew this was coming. Frolov is way too good to be had for salary dumps and fringe players.

But I wouldn't trade Giroux for him.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Contract is $600K

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You realize that there is a golden mean between too much patience and too little patience, yes? No one advocated him waiting until training camp to sign a starting goalie.

Yes, because Holmgren's tenure as GM has been marked as constant criticism of his moves...ya know, outside of the first year or so when he had hagiographies being written of him.
And you do realize that there will be people who second guess him -- as well as all others -- for either choice he makes... on everything. And that was the point I was making... Is some of the criticism warranted? Certainly... Are some of them merely a by product of growing up in, or rooting for Negadelphia and its teams? Three guess on that, and the fist two don't count.

You do also realize that it is more often than not the people who have concerns who are the ones that are most vocal -- both legitimate as well as those from the grumps of the World -- And often times the positive, half full voices are quickly and soundly surrounded by the negative Nellies and Nelsons of the Internet. One has to merely look at the situation on talk radio to see a quite similar occurrence... Often times team supporters won't bother wasting their time in order to be called morons and hung up on -- except for the Eagles fans who enjoy being praised by the Eagle arsekissers... and the recent Phillies bandwagoneers... But there are still many negative fans of them also -- And Heaven forbid anyone should try and strike up an intelligent and knowledgeable Hockey conversation with anyone other than Macnow or Satari (sp?)... even Jones and Morganti will not have the chance to keep one going... and Cuz often changes the subject over Macnow the first chance he gets.

Homer has had a checkered short (so far) career with both very good moves and ones that are far from good... What GM this side of Lamorello has not had such a career? -- and Lou gets his fair share of second guessers also -- The 'New' NHL is still in its infancy and all the GMs are still developing a way of managing it without much historical information to see long-term results for certain moves and plans... Should Homer be criticized? Certainly, and more so after his moves fail... not so much as he is developing them -- Personally, I pan him on the Carcillo deal and why it was 'needed' but will reserve judgement on his signing of Emery rather than waiting for Biron to come around to answering his calls... until the season is over at the earliest.

You also realize the hindsight is often 20/20... and almost always so for those who are wise enough to understand what has happened. To use that hindsight as an 'I told you so' is to me greatly unfair.

You realize also that I was just saying in my original post that we will see if Homer's patience pays off... and maybe we shouldn't again doom his plan before it plays out. I also pointed out that had Homer decided to go the complete opposite route, he would have also drawn opposition.

But I know that you do realize all that.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-01-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old
08-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
You also realize the hindsight is often 20/20... and almost always so for those who are wise enough to understand what happened. To use that hindsight as an 'I told you so' is to me greatly unfair.
If your job is to make choices and hindsight shows that the decisions you are making were the wrong ones, then that ABSOLUTELY is fair game for criticisms.

However, your original post set up a false dichotomy of people complaining in one direction and then complaining in the other direction on the same issue...when, in reality, that's not what happened at all, which is why I noted that there is a golden mean between the two extremes of patience...and no one was arguing outside of that understanding.

Of course, the majority of the supposed "negative" posters on here have a pretty good track record on their predictive criticisms with Holmgren because many of his mistakes have been glaringly obvious ones. So suggesting that hindsight has been driving "I told you so" critiques is a bit much.

Old
08-01-2009, 11:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Hindsight is always 20/20. However, as it shows, some of us had foresight that was 20/20 as well, and therein lies the problem.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:33 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Of course, the majority of the supposed "negative" posters on here have a pretty good track record on their predictive criticisms with Holmgren because many of his mistakes have been glaringly obvious ones. So suggesting that hindsight has been driving "I told you so" critiques is a bit much.
This has been KILLING me recently on this board and I brought it up with Opus. When a lot of us criticize the team, other posters always bring up the "hindsight is 20/20" argument.

Okay, in some arguments, that's valid, but for this one, it's not.

A) People complained about the Jones deal the minute after he signed it.
B) People have been complaining about Stevens since 2007.
C) People complained about our lack of a faceoff man the entire season.
D) I personally brought up this team's apparent lack of focus and desire in February or March 2 months ahead of our Game 6 turd against the Penguins.

That's just 4 examples, there are many more.

That is not hindsight. This is people finding problems with the team and then being proven correct when the problems kill us.

That is not hindsight.

Hindsight is when a guy goes out driving, gets hit by a drunk driver, and his friend tells him, "maybe you shouldn't have gone out driving."

When we complain the whole year about how bad we are at faceoffs and then get slaughtered by the Pens on faceoffs and point that out, that's not hindsight.

End of story.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Jester

Jones' contract.

Lupul's contract.

The cap ramifications of the Carle trade.

So on, and so forth.

Old
08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
If your job is to make choices and hindsight shows that the decisions you are making were the wrong ones, then that ABSOLUTELY is fair game for criticisms.

However, your original post set up a false dichotomy of people complaining in one direction and then complaining in the other direction on the same issue...when, in reality, that's not what happened at all, which is why I noted that there is a golden mean between the two extremes of patience...and no one was arguing outside of that understanding.

Again you miss my point... which was that no matter which way Homer goes, he will be second guessed. I pointed out one such category which was patience vs acting quickly... and alluded to how he is panned for being wrong before there is even a chance for it to play out.

I am in no way saying that Homer is a perfect GM... he is somewhere between the god he was made out to be when he quickly took a last place NHL team to the ECFs in one short season, and the fool he is now being made out to be for struggling with the Cap. I personally think that overall he has done a fine job... and would pit him up against most every other GM in the League.

You speak as if being the GM of the Flyers as being a simple job -- and maybe it is when you can point out after the fact where he went wrong, and forget that you had other ideas on where Homer was spot on -- People like you and I with all our opinions wouldn't last a fraction of a season if we were ever made a GM... Our opinions are fine for these forum discussions, but he have the luxury of not having accountability... Homer does not have that luxury.

I can see pointing out his failures when he fails... But not speaking like what he plans to do will fail merely because you believe that he fails on everything.

Using hindsight to learn for future decisions is not only fine, but it is a MUST... BUT, using hindsight as a tool in one upmanship is wrong... unless all aspects of your before the fact opinions are brought up also, as they are with Homer and other GMs... They will never be perfect, but they should be allowed the chance to do their job as they see fit.

**Steps off soap box and slowly walks into the sunset**

Old
08-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20. However, as it shows, some of us had foresight that was 20/20 as well, and therein lies the problem.
All of us have foresight, and some of us quite often... it is just that the times we are incorrect are never again brought up... while the times we are correct are used in an "I told you Homer would be wrong" post.

I am amazed by just how many of us here are better GMs than Homer and his other 29 fellow GMs... Many of us have missed our calling... and, IMO, therein lies the problem.